Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cavs and Grizz trade

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Cavs and Grizz trade

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/88...de-sources-say

The Memphis Grizzlies have agreed to a multiplayer trade with the Cleveland Cavaliers, slicing more than $6 million off their payroll to get under the luxury tax threshold, league sources told ESPN.com.

A trade call to finalize the deal is scheduled for Tuesday.

The Grizzlies would send big man Marreese Speights, guard Wayne Ellington and guard Josh Selby to the Cavs for big man Jon Leuer. There are also believed to be a future draft pick involved in the deal.

Reducing payroll both short- and long-term has been a goal of the new Grizzlies ownership and led to other trade talks involving Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph over the past several weeks.

Speights averages 6.5 points and 4.7 rebounds as a key big man off the bench for the Grizzlies but makes $4.2 million this season and has a player option at $4.5 million for next season. The Grizzlies owe Gay, Randolph and Marc Gasol nearly $50 million alone next year.

Ellington is averaging 5.5 points in 40 games off the bench.

The Cavs were able to make the deal because they had more than $10 million in cap space in which to absorb Speights. That would likely mean the Grizzlies would receive a trade exception of more than $6 million that would be good for a year.

Selby has only played in 10 games this season, averaging two points. Leuer has played in nine games, averaging 2.4 points.
    Impossible Is Nothing

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Romsey31 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Cavs and Grizz trade

Wonder if it might be a good idea to change the thread title, and make this a thread to post on all the trades? Just a thought.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kmjohnson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I probably would have liked Selby better than Orlando Johnson but it doesn't really matter I guess.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Hoopshype is saying Memphis is sending a first. That is a heck of a haul for taking on salary. Nothing past next year.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

Um. Can we have that?
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kmjohnson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wonder if it might be a good idea to change the thread title, and make this a thread to post on all the trades? Just a thought.
    I think each trade deserves its own thread as it comes along, personally.

11. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah. Great job by the Cavs. Speights is a very good rotational big. Does everything well, but is not a top tier type of big. He is well worth $4M per and with Varajao out, he will fill some big minutes for their rotation. Selby is a high upside guy that has a ton of talent, but needs time to develop. He could see some minutes in Cleveland that he never would have seen in Memphis. Selby should be happy. Especially to push Irving and Waiters in practice. Ellington is a solid shooter, who will fill a few minutes a game on their wings. The Cavs have the least depth in their wings, IMO and that should bode well for getting minutes. If the Cavs got a first rounder too that is just a coup, since it will be in the 20's somewhere and they will have a high second as well. There will be value late in the first round of guys who can turn into rotation players, which is what this trade was all about. The Cavs just got two immediate rotation guys and the potential to have a couple more. This deal was worth WAY more than the salaries of these guys to Memphis and this deal allows them to stay a contender without killing their roster. I think Speights hurts the most for Memphis, but if Arthur stays healthy he will fill the exact same role. Great deal by both teams, but I like what Cleveland got a lot more.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I hate to say this, but this is the future that Pacers are going towards if we try to keep both West and Granger.

Ellington was 7th in total minutes played for the Grizz this year, and Speights was 9th. Grizz also gave up a 2nd round pick.

The good news for the Pacers is that we have until 2015 to make moves before the crunch comes. But the Grizz bleeding bench pieces and young talent should probably be an object lesson.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Good trade for both teams.

Who is giving the picks? MEM to CLE or the other way around?
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I hate to say this, but this is the future that Pacers are going towards if we try to keep both West and Granger.

Ellington was 7th in total minutes played for the Grizz this year, and Speights was 9th. Grizz also gave up a 2nd round pick.

The good news for the Pacers is that we have until 2015 to make moves before the crunch comes. But the Grizz bleeding bench pieces and young talent should probably be an object lesson.
    We won't keep Granger.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kinda off topic. But, when do the new tv deals get done? If the new deals are much larger, the salary cap will rise, maybe just in time to allow us to hold on to most of our players.

And oh. Great trade for the Cavs. I've always like Speights.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Good trade for both teams.

Who is giving the picks? MEM to CLE or the other way around?
    MEM to CLE. Some reports are saying it's a 2015 top-5 protected pick instead of a 2nd rounder. The value of cap space, folks.

Oh, and last year when we had cap space, all we got was Barbosa, and it was us who gave up a pick (to be fair, it was just a 2nd rounder). I like Barbosa and all, but damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Skull View Post
    Kinda off topic. But, when do the new tv deals get done? If the new deals are much larger, the salary cap will rise, maybe just in time to allow us to hold on to most of our players.
    Not sure. 2015? 2016? But yeah, who knows, a lot can change in 2 years.

great trade for the Cavs.

Guess theyre really getting the talent needed to land Lebron in 2014, as planned
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

MEM to CLE. Some reports are saying it's a 2015 top-5 protected pick instead of a 2nd rounder. The value of cap space, folks.

Oh, and last year when we had cap space, all we got was Barbosa, and it was us who gave up a pick (to be fair, it was just a 2nd rounder). I like Barbosa and all, but damn.

Not sure. 2015? 2016? But yeah, who knows, a lot can change in 2 years.
    David West?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

If we ended up overpaying any of the two like Memphis did with Gay then I would agree.

But we haven't overpaid yet.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

The value of cap space, folks.
    I remember some people that said that cap space does not hold as much value as we think

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Some reports are saying it's a 2015 top-5 protected pick instead of a 2nd rounder.
    Excuse me but how can a pick be top-5 protected? How can it be locked since there hasn't be a lottery first?
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Oh, and last year when we had cap space, all we got was Barbosa, and it was us who gave up a pick (to be fair, it was just a 2nd rounder). I like Barbosa and all, but damn. .
    Uhh then we wouldn't have had money to re-sign Hibbert or Hill this offseason?

Banned

This is just one of those crappy one sided trades that you have to make because you don't have another choice, that Memphis bench was crappy and now is even worse.

There is a reason why you don't pay bench players too much, Bayless at 3mil a year is stupid, Arthur at 3mil is ridiculous, Hadidi makes 1.3 and never plays, Speights was making 4mil, I mean not even one of those players is some kind of difference maker, they are all average at best.

I don't think TOR financially needed to trade Barbosa. We just bribed them with our 2nd rounder to give him up. Memphis does financially need this trade, which is why they are the ones giving up a pick.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    David West?
    At the trading deadline, we still had over $10m in cap space. More than enough for this sort of deal. Unfortunately, Grizz didn't have to pare major salary that year. They only dumped Sam Young, as I recall off the top of my head.

The point is that we weren't looking for salary dump deals like the Cavs were. We paid a premium (or fair price, depending on how you see it) for the guy we wanted, which turned out to be Barbosa.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    If we ended up overpaying any of the two like Memphis did with Gay then I would agree.

But we haven't overpaid yet.
    Only if we can keep them for significantly less than what they're currently making. I think they'll have to combine for something like $15m-$18m to be affordable for the Pacers, depending on how much you think Lance will get. Paul getting max should be a given.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Excuse me but how can a pick be top-5 protected? How can it be locked since there hasn't be a lottery first?
    When 2015 comes around, if the pick is top 5, Memphis keeps it. If not, it rolls over to next year (usually with lesser protection).

34. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Leuer has had a fun career. Plays one year for Milwaukee, and they actually liked him. He gets traded to Houston only because his small salary was the final piece needed to make the deal work. Houston inevitably cuts him since they never wanted him, and the Cavs pick him up on waivers. He barely plays for the Cavs over half a season, and now he's traded to Memphis. Who knows if Memphis actually wants him or not, or if he was just the throw in to make sure they were actually trading for somebody. My guess is that he'll get playing time there, but he's been quite a victim of trading rules so far.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    I don't think TOR financially needed to trade Barbosa. We just bribed them with our 2nd rounder to give him up. Memphis does financially need this trade, which is why they are the ones giving up a pick.
    We weren't really in much of a position to take back long term salary. The Cavs can take back salary until they need to start resigning people on rookie contracts.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Hadidi makes 1.3 and never plays
    That's not his fault, though. He can be a solid defensive big when given time.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Uhh then we wouldn't have had money to re-sign Hibbert or Hill this offseason?
    No, since we can go over the cap to sign our own FAs. It would affect the bench guys we signed using cap space though.

Consider though - if the exact same deal had been available last year, we wouldn't have signed Mahinmi (Speghts does similar things at nearly the same price, though in fairness I like Mahinmi more), and we might have kept Ellington as our bench shooter instead of going for Green (and at this point, just about anyone > Green). And we'd have Selby and pick in our back pocket.

Eh, this is all just hindsight talking. Obviously we can only make the available deals, and it's not like we can roll the cap space over.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post: