Thread: Evolving Paul George's Offensive Game

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Evolving Paul George's Offensive Game

Obviously Paul George's game has grown by leaps and bounds before our eyes, mostly this year. And believe you me, what he has done this year has been awesome. But if he wants to elevate his game to the next level, like top 10 player in the league, there are still a few things he could stand to do better. Let me get this out of the way right now- this is not a thread bashing on the kid. Heck, he's only 22 and in his third professional year, only his second with starters minutes. But he just oozes athleticism and reeks of intangables that had every scout with two good eyes drooling over him on draft day. With that in mind here are a few of my immediate thoughts. Feel free to add to the list, critique and disagree.

-First off the most obvious part of his game that needs changing is Paul's work at home and on the road. I'm sure most people know the numbers but here's a refresher:

Home= FG% .481, 3pt% .496, FT% .839
    Away= FG% .372, 3pt% .262, FT% .776

Now, I'm going to chalk most of this up to youth. If he handles his road struggles like he handled the pressure of being "the man" for the Pacers then I think we'll see a turn around in the near future. He's developed a tough skin and what sounds like a steely work ethic. Can't knock hard work.

-Secondly, his ball handling. It has improved remarkably from last seaon, and I'm pretty certain that if he had a usage rate last year close to the one he has this year then he'd have over 6 turnovers a game. So that's a plus. Further proof can be found here. Channeling his inner Isiah Thomas.

But what George really needs is a simple, but affective, crossover. Just a simple shoulder fake, dribble back would be nice. He is so quick and long that he needs to get to the rim (and get more respect from the refs) and his explosive first step is only working so often, mostly on slow or distracted defenders. If he was more cappable of losing his first defender then woah to the big men in the paint he is heading towards with a full head of steam.

-Third, more post-ups. This will become more paramount when Danny comes back and Paul gets paired with more 2 guards, but his incredible height and smooth shot means he's got to take advantage of any guard he gets in the post. Back them down to a comfortable 12-16ft shot, turn and take.

-Lastly (for now), keep developing his ability to read passing lanes while driving. The game today against Memphis makes me even happier about Paul's ability. He has a knack for it, and I've seen him make some really really outstanding passes. If teams do start to consistantly double him he needs to know where he can find open teammates, either cutting to the basket or unguarded for a jumper. I don't think he'll ever be Lebron-esq and his assist per are getting better every game, but he can still improve it.

There are a few other tidbits here and there I could add on but I want to read other's thoughts before I make this a full blown thesis paper. Again, I'm going to add just how much I love how Paul George is playing right now. Me buying his jersey last year is really paying off. My friends think I'm some sort of basketball gensis, but honestly it was pretty obvious this guy had some serious talent.

*I've tried to proof read this thing hardcore but I'm sure I've missed more than I've found. My spelling/typing sometimes makes me look like a 4 year old with a laptop.
    Last edited by Mr.Hinds; 01-21-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

~Ahmad Rashad~

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Hinds For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Evolving Paul George's Offensive Game

I feel he could score on any possession.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

It's comming.
    He needs to get stronger.
    He can't right now hold or improve his position in the post against smaller but lower center of gravity guys.
    He can not take it strong inside against all the bumps and pushes. When he can he will.
    When he does,will mark the biggest upcomming difference in his game that you did not mention.
    Paul can absolutely EAT at the foul line in a year or two. Too quick for forwards, too big for guards, they'll ALL have to foul him.
    If he works on this he can pick up several points per game and play the forth quarter against whoever has not fouled out!

I love it that he went to the fieldhouse and practiced after a poor outing this year.
    He's GOT it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to solid For This Useful Post:

Just also would like to point out that George is at or exceeding in almost all categories when compared with Tracy McGrady's third year in the league. I know a lot of people compared the style of their games early on, so here's how they stack up thus far.

Attached Images Attached Images

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Indra For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And Paul is doing it with a better supporting cast. So that's even more impressive.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

His offensive game will keep improving. By next season, he should average somewhere between 22-25 ppg. If you put that together with his defense and rebounding he will a top 5 player at his position and a top 10 player in the league.

Mood

George can't really do anything about the free throws for now. The refs have got to step it up after he gets his all star bid. Then I expect him to get 20-25ppg.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

~Ahmad Rashad~

The only concern I have is the 42% FG%. Like to see that up to at least 45%

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree on that. He's still taking quite a few bad shots and he misses a lot right at the rim, but he doesn't get many calls either. I think his shot selection will improve, and he'll start getting more foul calls from the refs...then his %'s will go up a bit.

But both PG and Granger, I'd like to see at least 45%. Granger's shooting %s have been worse than PGs.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I feel he could score on any possession.
    I feel the same way, Paul George can score from anywhere.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    The good part about that is how bad he's shot on the road. It's bound to get better.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yes he could score from anywhere at any time but not if you expect him to have a respectable fg%. He'd be morphing into the Kobe of 8 years ago. Better shot selection is the key to every scorer in the nba. Those that get it, like Lebron, are super efficient and just better overall.

~Ahmad Rashad~

Mood

Also just another nugget I've found watching PGs highlights. Verses the Knicks he does a sweet double bounce pass that I'm not sure I've ever seen before. That's being able to anticipate and read a defense reallllly well. You can see it at the 45 second mark on this link. Its to Lance on the left wing and it's hard to spot through the defender but it pretty cool.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...41248874,d.aWM

~Ahmad Rashad~