Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where does Paul George rank among all NBA players?

Default Where does Paul George rank among all NBA players?

Is Paul George already a top 15 player in the league? Take into account his defense to go along with him being the go-to guy on what a lot of people consider to be the second best team in the East. Just wondering where people believe PG ranks among other players.

Sorry, this kind of goes along with the Is Paul George a Star thread, but after reading those I just wanted to see where people rank him among other players.

Default Re: Where does Paul George rank among all NBA players?

I would put him in the top 15, if he is not in the top 15, he is certainly in the top 20. he is averaging 17.3 ppg, 7.7 rpg, and 3.7 spg, along with being one of the best, arguably the best defender in the NBA

Sports Logo

there is no question that he has the talent but he does not yet have the experience. The thing that made Reggie great was that his scoring average went up during the playoffs not down, an away game did not lower his shooting percentage in fact many of his heroics were in opposing buildings.

Paul plays much better at home than he does on the road, until he plays on the road the way he plays at home and until he does it in the playoffs he can't be considered top 15

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

James, Kobe, Wade, Melo, Westbrook, Durant, DHoward, CP3, Griffin, Love, Duncan, Rondo, Monroe, Harden, Roes, Dirk

Thers a list of 16 off the top of my head that may be better than PG
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I'm not concerned about his road play. It will come with experience. He's top 20 right now and arguably top 15 simply because he plays both ends of the floor at an all-star level. Yes...at an all-star level. He's averaging all-star numbers on offense and he's been playing all-star defense since he entered the league. In the near future he will be a perennial all-star and will undoubtedly be the best NBA pacer of all-time.

People need to realize he's only 22 and he didn't enter the league with an NBA body. Not so with LeBron James and many others who entered the league more physically mature. The kid is a solid 4 years from entering his prime. Once he fills out and gets physically stronger with maturity he will be even better and we will see 40 point games on occasion.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not yet top 20. Once he consistently delivers in the clutch, he can get there. Not saying he isn't clutch, just hasn't had the opportunity
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    James, Kobe, Wade, Melo, Westbrook, Durant, DHoward, CP3, Griffin, Love, Duncan, Rondo, Monroe, Harden, Roes, Dirk

This list proves he's not top 10. But I wouldn't rank Harden or Dirk above him. Derrick Rose may not be the same player after that knee injury. I personally would not trade him for Monroe as much as people fawn over him. His numbers are down this year and his team's record is horrible. Overrated IMO.

While they may be better for the moment, Duncan is well past his prime and Kobe is getting old. LeBron just whipped Kobe's butt even with big old Dwight Howard helping him. Paul, otoh, roasted the Heat. But I will give Duncan and Kobe another year but soon Paul will be looking at them in his rear view mirror.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Top 30-40. He's a very solid two way player but it takes more than that to be top 15 or even 20. He's still developing so he does have a chance of getting there
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It depends on how much you value defense. If you only go by points, rebounds, and assists, then no, he's not yet top-15. If you look deeper than that and take into account that he's almost certainly the best perimeter defender in the league, then yes, he's top-15.

2012-13 NBA Leaders | Basketball-Reference.com

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball-Reference
    Defensive Win Shares
    Paul George-IND 3.2
    2. Tim Duncan-SAS 3.0
    3. Joakim Noah-CHI 2.8
    4. Roy Hibbert-IND 2.6
    5. David West-IND 2.6
    6. Kevin Durant-OKC 2.5
    7. Marc Gasol-MEM 2.4
    8. Blake Griffin-LAC 2.4
    9. Josh Smith-ATL 2.3
    10. Carlos Boozer-CHI 2.2

Defensive Rating
    1. Tim Duncan-SAS 93.9
    2. Larry Sanders-MIL 94.5
    3. Roy Hibbert-IND 95.4
    Paul George-IND
    5. Lamar Odom-LAC 96.7
    6. Andre Drummond-DET 97.0
    7. Joakim Noah-CHI 97.4
    8. Eric Bledsoe-LAC 97.7
    9. Tony Allen-MEM 98.1
    10. Carlos Boozer-CHI 98.2

all of those are questionable

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

I'm curious to see where PG will land in the annual Bill Simmons trade value article. What young players have more value than PG? Blake and Kyrie? It's a short list. I'm guessing PG will be fringe top 10 after the Lebron/CP3/Durant regulars top it the list.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kielbeze For This Useful Post:

He's playing like a top 30 for sure. He's quickly moving towards top 15 though. It's amazing that this is even a debate, but he's improved a lot in a short period of time.

Top 30 would be appropriate. Sponsoring a top record in the league and playing there as the best player certainly puts him above some of the best players from the other teams.

But I think there are still tweaks needed to make him a top 15 player, and I don't doubt that he will get there. Top players are established over the years, so he just needs to improve further as his career continues.

A lot of what separates the top 15-20 and the rest of the NBA is consistency.

George is nowhere near a consistent enough of a player yet. This will take some time. If we continue to see this level of play, along with a better post game over the next year, it's time to start having this conversation.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Really good player of course, but definitely not top 15...yet.

LBJ
    Durant
    Kobe
    CP3
    Melo
    Rose
    Harden
    Westbrook
    Wade
    Curry
    Tony Parker
    Dwight
    Love
    Griffin
    Duncan

(15 players who are definitely above PG at this point)

I don't really care for the older tradition of ranking every player, I'm more a fan of placing players in different tier groups (basically what Bill Simmons did in his book when he was doing this with the all-time greats). That having been said, I haven't attempted to construct my tiers in a few seasons, so I'm not really ready at the moment to place him in a tier. But my rough guess is if he keeps this up he'll currently belong in the 2nd to top tier, if I place him "blind".

I'll start with this list.

LBJ
    Durant
    Kobe
    CP3
    Melo
    Rose
    Harden
    Westbrook
    Wade
    Curry
    Tony Parker
    Dwight
    Love
    Griffin
    Duncan

Of these player who would you trade PG for straight up. With the future in mind all with up side, I would say only Durant, cp3, maybe rose and westbrook. I think pg is already better than Harden, Griffin, Parker and Love. So that leaves Duncan, Wade, LBJ, Dwight, Curry Kobe, and Melo. Wouldn't trade because of age for Duncan, Wade, Kobe. Wouldn't trade for Dwight because he can't hit free throws plus he is just a clown. Leaves curry,Melo and LBJ. Yeah maybe them.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When I look at offense and defense, outside of LeBron, he is the best two way player at the wing imo. His defense is flat out phenomenal. And his offense has gotten pretty damn good too. I think at the end of the season, PG will be top 15. The work he does on both ends of the court is too good not to be.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Aww yes, lets immediately turn this into another Danny vs Paul thread. Including inserting thoughts that neither player have indicated that they themselves actually think. We all know that Danny obviously resents Paul for his success, and that Paul is on a mission to prove that Danny is of no use and should take his marching orders from Paul. Or we could just go ahead and assume they root for each other as their success means team success. Nah, its way more dramatic the other way.

Now to the actual thread's point. I would say probably top 15 at this point which is amazing. His rise from the beginning of the season is perhaps the single greatest turnaround in such a short time I have ever seen. I'll be honest, I did not think he had it in him and made that point known. That zero point game in Oakland may become one the single greatest things to ever happen to the Indiana Pacers. I mean that in all sincerity and no hyperbole. Something happened after that caused him to become the most talented two-way player the Pacers have ever had in the NBA. Obviously Reggie was a marginal defender at best. Danny, as much as his defense is underrated IMO, is no where near the defender Paul is. Ron, great defender, however offensively was much more limited than what Paul has become in such a short time.

The only players I feel 100 percent confident that impacts a game and is a better player than Paul at this point are: LBJ, Durant, Kobe, CP3, Rose (if not reduced by injury), Carmelo, Duncan (only presently but age will eventually matter), Dwight (ugh, maybe, once completely healthy), Rondo, Westbrook (though the gap is closing at amazing speed), Wade (only because of the refs, but in fair called game I would not say so at this point), and presently Tony Parker.

Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, James Harden? No, there is a whole other side of the court. Dirk, at one point absolutely, but not this season and maybe never again. Right now the only thing Paul needs to catapult to unquestioned elite status is clutchness. I still think at the end of the game my confidence still lies with DWest on the Pacers. Paul needs to take over a 4th quarter in a big game, not just against a good team. A game that decides who wins a division or playoff seeding or a playoff game itself.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Mood

Rose is definitely better than him right now, but if he can't stay healthy, it'll eventually be tough for me to consider him on a list like this.

Banned

This is what I posted on another thread:

Durant, Lebron, CP3 and Kobe(still) are the superstars, after that I think is hard to tell who is on the second level, I believe that Paul George is going to be on that second level at the end of the season if he is not already there.

I guess one way for me to see if he is on that second level is to think if I would trade him for a player on that second level, I would not trade him for Melo, the only players I would trade him for is for a healthy Howard but I'm not 100% sure about that, maybe for Westbrook? no to Wade, hell no to Bosh, no to Harden, there are not that many players I would trade Paul George for, maybe the koolaid is messing me up?

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    Really good player of course, but definitely not top 15...yet.

LBJ
    Durant
    Kobe
    CP3
    Melo
    Rose
    Harden
    Westbrook
    Wade
    Curry
    Tony Parker
    Dwight
    Love
    Griffin
    Duncan

(15 players who are definitely above PG at this point)
    Don't forget to add Kyrie Irving, Josh Smith, Aldridge, Rondo...

Even guys like Joe Johnson, D-Will have been getting it done on a consistent, annual basis. 20 some odd really good games doesn't make a player top 15, top 20. It takes at least a full season or 2 of greatness to be considered top 20 IMO. Too many guys have had a great great year, only to regress and come back to earth in later seasons.

Also I wanna see him in a playoff series as a number one option before I can fully make a determination as to where he ranks with his peers.

Why do we need to rank or anoint a player? Just sit back, watch and enjoy.

Banned

I would not trade Paul George for either one of the highlighted players at this point, yes to Lebron, CP3 or Durant(of course) maybe to Dhoward, Rondo, a healthy Rose?, Westbrook and maybe Love but he is always injured so I don't know.

And out of the young up and coming players, yes to Irving, yes to Lillard, yes to Davis, maybe yes to Plumlee?
    Last edited by vnzla81; 01-19-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    A lot of what separates the top 15-20 and the rest of the NBA is consistency.

George is nowhere near a consistent enough of a player yet. This will take some time. If we continue to see this level of play, along with a better post game over the next year, it's time to start having this conversation.
    You nailed it! How many would have said Paul was top 15 after the Golden State game? That was 25 games ago, so it looks like he elevated his game. However I remember when Brandon Rush had a great end of season, and then regressed the next year.