Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [ESPN] Keep Him or Trade Him? - Danny Granger

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: [ESPN] Keep Him or Trade Him? - Danny Granger

Keep him, and bring him off the bench as one of the best (if not the best) 6th man in the league. Our bench still needs work, but Granger would be an immense improvement.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MUpaceSIC For This Useful Post:

Danny granger was Paul George before Paul George. Lets just kick a player out of town that we brought up and groomed. Just when we finally get him some help and a team to compete with. Paul George is amazing but he is no reason to scrape your work horse when the two can co exist. Throw in lance as the sixth man and between the positions and you have three players for the next 5 that will cause the nba hell with thier scoring ability and grit.

The only position you trade him for is a young PF with PAUL George type potential. But even then you would argue that west,granger,George trio is better than anything we can play 2-3 years down the line. The only thing we will get for him is young talent and frankly I think this franchise should try to compete now with the way attendance has been for the past 8 years.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

Keep him, no question.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Danny granger was Paul George before Paul George. Lets just kick a player out of town that we brought up and groomed. Just when we finally get him some help and a team to compete with. Paul George is amazing but he is no reason to scrape your work horse when the two can co exist. Throw in lance as the sixth man and between the positions and you have three players for the next 5 that will cause the nba hell with thier scoring ability and grit.

The only position you trade him for is a young PF with PAUL George type potential. But even then you would argue that west,granger,George trio is better than anything we can play 2-3 years down the line. The only thing we will get for him is young talent and frankly I think this franchise should try to compete now with the way attendance has been for the past 8 years.
    I'm not sure about that.

Mood

I like how they say Danny isn't worth his contract...and he basically makes the same as Luol Deng, a player that most would agree is inferior to Danny. But, because Luol has thrived as a THIRD option he gets a pass.

Let's see how Danny does when he isn't the only scorer on the team. Danny/PG/West could be an offensive juggarnaut. Couple that with Hills spot up abilities, Roy's work on the glass...we haven't seen how this team will play yet.

It's so easy to forget that PG was a non-factor in the playoffs.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    I like how they say Danny isn't worth his contract...and he basically makes the same as Luol Deng, a player that most would agree is inferior to Danny. But, because Luol has thrived as a THIRD option he gets a pass.

Let's see how Danny does when he isn't the only scorer on the team. Danny/PG/West could be an offensive juggarnaut. Couple that with Hills spot up abilities, Roy's work on the glass...we haven't seen how this team will play yet.

It's so easy to forget that PG was a non-factor in the playoffs.
    Neither player is worth their contract.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I'm not sure about that.
    Just a few rebounds short.

26pts 45fg% 40% 5reb 3assists 1stl 1.4blks is a damn good well rounded game. And you say, well that was on a bad team. His career numbers are 43.6fg% 38.4 3pt% so it's fairly consistent. The rest of the stats are consistent. You don't have that big of a sample size, and then completely change into a different player. The volume of shots will go down for him, but the percentages should be in that area. You add a consistent threat to dump 20pts on any given night and go for 30 on good nights, just like PG.

This talk of trading him is just crazy. Last set of games he played in pretty much everyone would have agreed he was the lynch pin. When he went down with his ankle injury, the team crapped down their collective legs. Him going from that important, to not important just isn't likely.
    Last edited by Since86; 01-18-2013 at 11:32 PM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

If Hibbert gets his act together...which it looks like he's making some progress...this team could compete for a ring if Granger blends in well. While I would always make a trade to improve the team, it is probably time to be careful...particularly if Granger is healthy. Only trade him now if it's a clear upgrade where a need is being met.

For the love of gard why can't we just create a new forum called "Danny Granger - Effing Trade Rumors/Ideas" to go along with Indiana Pacers, Legends and the rest. At least then, it would all be confined to the same area and we wouldn't have to see a brand new thread every 4-5 days. My opinion has always been that this crap is getting old. Now, it's very, very old.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    And quit quoting people I have on ignore!
    For real!
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Keep him or trade him? Right now he's not even playing....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    I like how they say Danny isn't worth his contract...
    I don't get how someone isn't worth his contract when there's another player in the league with similar production that had signed a contract worth $22M more than Danny's for the same amount of years.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Neither player is worth their contract.
    Is Andre Iguodala worth of his contract? Is Josh Smith worth of his contract? Is Nic Batum worth of his contract?

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Is Andre Iguodala worth of his contract? Is Josh Smith worth of his contract? Is Nic Batum worth of his contract?
    Well, if we are really going to ponder inflated salaries. The US president makes 400k per year, which includes 50k for expenses. That means our president makes a base salary of 350k per year. The starting salary for an NBA player in 2011-2012 was 490k.

Do we really need to argue which NBA players are overpaid? Yes,they are ALL overpaid. So, when we get right down to it, does it really matter by how much they are overpaid? I suppose there is only one accurate answer anyway.... "by one hell of a lot".

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

For the last damn time......

Stop quoting or even responding to that troll.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

only way i trade danny, is if West gets an insane offer that doesnt make sense for the pacers to match and there is a good option to swap Danny for a really good replacement PF. I dont see that happening quite frankly. I am extremely excited about the Granger/George wing combo. With George's break out, they are two very scary scorers. They have great length, that with GH at the point, its going to be problems for the other teams.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unless there's a move out there that can significantly improve this team, I'm keeping him.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Being one the Best Big Men in League History also helps.
    Pretty sure the point is that he recovered physically.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Keep him, bring Lance in as the 6th man.

Mood

Keep him. IMHO I see this as a very tough team with Danny. You have length and strength at every position and it will give teams fits on both ends. The only way I would trade him is if we could get a legit elite SG spot and I don't see it out there right now. I think the Danny/PG duo will be a wonderful combination. My big worry is our ability to keep DW after this year. I believe he is worth Danny money so hopefully we keep him. I see us as being a scary team to face in the playoffs but I think next year if we can retain our core we will be scary as hell to other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Not really, yes and probably not.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Well, if we are really going to ponder inflated salaries. The US president makes 400k per year, which includes 50k for expenses. That means our president makes a base salary of 350k per year. The starting salary for an NBA player in 2011-2012 was 490k.

Do we really need to argue which NBA players are overpaid? Yes,they are ALL overpaid. So, when we get right down to it, does it really matter by how much they are overpaid? I suppose there is only one accurate answer anyway.... "by one hell of a lot".
    Salaries of NBA players should be compared with salaries of other NBA players. Comparing them with other occupations is moot because their value is relative.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Do we really need to argue which NBA players are overpaid? Yes,they are ALLoverpaid. So, when we get right down to it, does it really matter by how much they are overpaid? I suppose there is only one accurate answer anyway.... "by one hell of a lot".
    I 100% agree with this. I'm a firefighter who risks his life along with others to save complete strangers. Yet I still struggle to make ends met. Yes I chose this life, not for the money. I'm saying our reward system is off. Our values in this country are backwards. Seriously when's the last time you heard about a important profession on tv.. now when's the last time you heard about Snookie? The important professions aren't nearly as high class as the entertainment sector.
    Last edited by sportfireman; 01-19-2013 at 06:41 AM.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

35. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

The Pacers cannot trade Granger this year. They need to find out what this group can become with him on the floor.

Granger's salary is only an issue in the future context of signing other key pieces and the luxary tax.

If Granger comes back and contributes to an epic Pacers playoff run then the franchise needs to keep him from a purely basketball standpoint but will have to make a tough financial decision on the luxary tax.

If Granger comes back and the team doesn't look championship relevant then trading him in the offseason for young pieces and/or draft picks probably needs to happen. In Grangers absence I have done a complete 180 and now see how much this franchise needs David West long-term.

Yes, NBA salaries are inflated. That is just the way of things. Unless/until a teacher or firefighter or other important professions can find a way to get 20,000 people paying $100 a head to watch them work, that's the way it is going to stay.

The truth is we are all worth what we can get. NBA guys are paid more because their owner wanted to pay them more. Life is unfair.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post: