Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [ESPN] Keep Him or Trade Him? - Danny Granger

Banned

Default Re: [ESPN] Keep Him or Trade Him? - Danny Granger

Kurt Helin ‏@basketballtalk
    Reports: Pacers may try to move Granger, but don’t bet on it happening http://dlvr.it/2q1yYX #PBT #NBA
    Hide summary Reply Retweeted Favorite More

Danny Granger is close to coming back, sometime right around the start of February. On the surface that suggests the Pacers could get better — they have the best defense in the NBA but the 29th ranked offense (using points per possession). Granger gives them scoring and good wing defense, put him in the mix and in theory the Pacers get a lot better.

Or, they may just trade him instead.

That’s the buzz from a few places. ESPN.com’s Marc Stein wrote this:

Interesting comments recently from Indy’s Paul George about how past Pacers teams all “had an ego to them” but how this one is “putting the team first.” Hard to imagine that the Pacers could find a trade taker for Danny Granger in the next 24 days before the deadline, given that Granger (knee) has missed the entire season so far, but it seems safe to suggest the end of the Granger era in Indy is drawing closer and closer.

ESPN’s Chad Ford ads this:

If they can get him back into the swing of things quickly — and get his trade value up — expect them to try to flip him fast now that Paul George has replaced Granger as the alpha dog of the team

Pulling off a deal at the deadline will be hard because teams will be skeptical and not offering a ton after he missed months with a knee injury. Plus, Indiana is a team based around chemistry and fit where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. You have to defend well, you have to buy into the system and not every player fits what they do.

But look for the buzz to start heading into the deadline. A deal could happen.

I’d say a summer deal is more likely, but that also might depend on how the Pacers play during the playoffs — a deep run can change perspectives and plans. Just something to keep an eye on.

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reports: Pacers may try to move Granger, but don’t bet on it happening http://dlvr.it/2q1yYX #PBT #NBA
    Wow, a lot of assumptions going on there. I highly doubt the soft spoken PG would publicly call out a guy he has said he looks up to.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Someone older than I may have to shed more insight on this since my 10 year old basketball analysis wasn't that great. But could we have a Nick Anderson situation? I know Penny played point, but he was still a guard/forward. As Orlando got more talent (D3, Shaq, Penny) Anderson didn't have to be the near 20 point a game scorer to get to the finals, 15-16 was fine. Why can't Danny be like Anderson? A reliable scorer on a deep starting 5?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Isn't it ironic that during the struggling seasons, you were told to be patient with the struggles and wait for the team to get better, then when things are getting better you became the #1 rumored player to be shipped out?

Hopefully these rumors will not affect what team is working on right now.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Banned

RT @indyvnzla81: Any rumors from Indiana? ---> Danny Granger almost ready to return. They'll gauge where they are from there

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who would we even trade Danny for? The spot we could fill is the starting SG. We're not going to get much for Danny. I would guess that JJ Reddick and a pick might be the best we can even get. Is that worth it?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

What a gloriously useless headline.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by thatch3232 View Post
    Who would we even trade Danny for? The spot we could fill is the starting SG. We're not going to get much for Danny. I would guess that JJ Reddick and a pick might be the best we can even get. Is that worth it?
    No.

To be "worth it" you're looking for someone who can be relied on nightly to be a focal point of our offense. Reddick can be a good guy to have, but Granger brings a different component, IMO. Paul might be the new #1, and he should be, but have you seen our offense? We don't have the luxury offensively to trade away a scorer like Danny for a shooter like JJ.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Once upon a time, the Pacers traded away Chuck Person to make way for a certain skinny shooting guard from UCLA.

Not saying it was a good or necessary move, certainly there are still people in this forum who thought that trade was a mistake, but all I'm saying is don't be surprised if it happens again.

I'll point out too that Walsh also thought it necessary to move Jalen Rose to make way for JO. On the other hand, maybe Danny's temperament is different. Maybe he's more like Reggie in his willingness to move into the background. We'll see.

In any event, I don't expect a trade at the deadline. All bets are off in the offseason though, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Once upon a time, the Pacers traded away Chuck Person to make way for a certain skinny shooting guard from UCLA.

Not saying it was a good or necessary move, certainly there are still people in this forum who thought that trade was a mistake, but all I'm saying is don't be surprised if it happens again.

I'll point out too that Walsh also thought it necessary to move Jalen Rose to make way for JO. On the other hand, maybe Danny's temperament is different. Maybe he's more like Reggie in his willingness to move into the background. We'll see.

In any event, I don't expect a trade at the deadline. All bets are off in the offseason though, IMO.
    Might have been a championship move had it brought in a point guard who could actually play. Otherwise it was just one of several neccessary steps between 91-93 that changed the Pacers from a bunch of guys who could score but couldn't guard their position to a group that could defend and rebound with the best in the league. Also got the team a valuable role player in Sam Mitchell.

The situation with Granger is different. Person's body was already starting to betray him in a big way at that point. He was more of a volume shooter than multi-dimensional scorer and by that time he couldn't defend 3's or 4's. Granger can contribute on both ends of the court and doesn't need 15-20 shots to impact a game.

Short of a "gift" type of trade Granger only needs to move on if his return doesn't make the team championship relevant and the ownership won't pay both him an West.

Mood

I wasn't around for the Person trade, but we didn't trade Jalen to "make room for JO". We traded Jalen because the team was struggling and Isiah was asking for some "dogs" to play with, so Donnie went and got him some... from the Bulls... including Ron Artest. Temporarily that was a great trade.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thatch3232 View Post
    We can't, but if we could get J.J. Redick and a pick for Danny Granger we should pull that trigger in a nanosecond.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Never in any of these "reports" do you hear "a Pacer official has said..." or 'sources close to the team..."

It's always: "you can expect the Pacers to..." or "you should look for the Pacers to..."

Lol I want to hear a rumor FROM the team, or a source from the team before I start to truly believe the Pacers are looking to trade DG. Also, I wanna see what 2-G in the league has size, length, defense, consistent scoring, character, and is on the trading block. The ONLY one I could possibly think of is Arron Afflalo of ORL. He's the only guy I could see swapped for Danny that fits our team. Anyone else have any other ideas?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    We can't, but if we could get J.J. Redick and a pick for Danny Granger we should pull that trigger in a nanosecond.
    So, the Grizzlies would be happy if they could move ZBo for Delfino and a pick, right?
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    So, the Grizzlies would be happy if they could move ZBo for Delfino and a pick, right?
    I don't know but apples are better than oranges.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't see how we had an "ego". I remember many teams where Danny was our #1 and only option with Troy Murphy's trailing top of the arc three being the only other on occasion. Until we fired O'Brien this team had no identity outside of Granger. There was nothing to write home about until the Chicago series where everyone clicked but obviously we couldn't finish games.

Now we have players that contribute on a nightly basis, where Paul George right now is the only constant. Any given night it can be Hill, West, Hibbert or any combo of all four. We have players that can finish games.

Needless to say our diversity is much better than say all of the years under O'Brien.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I really don't think that Paul was referring to Danny.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Like I said, he wasn't one of them. He hasn't scored over 20 for a while and he never will again....
    Rolls eyes...he doesn't need to be on this new team.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I really don't think that Paul was referring to Danny.
    CoughDahntayFordDunleavyCough
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca