Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if 18,000 fans wore this t-shirt Christmas day

Default What if 18,000 fans wore this t-shirt Christmas day

"Suspend Stern". Would that only make him even more anti-Pacers. Likely would, but it would be fun, wonder if they would even show them on TV. I could see Stern calling ESPN, don't you dare show those T-Shirts one more time.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/201824-4472-179.html

Pacers fans put sentiments on T-shirts

Local attorneys Monica Foster (left) and Rhonda Long-Sharp have temporarily opened a shop on East Maryland Street in Downtown Indianapolis to sell T-shirts sporting the words "Suspend Stern" and "Indiana Subs vs. Detroit Thugs." The shirts sell for $15 apiece. -- Steve Healey / The Star

By John Tuohy
    john.tuohy@indystar.com
    December 13, 2004

Two lawyers accustomed to defending Death Row inmates are waging a campaign to save the seasons of suspended Indiana Pacers basketball players.

But only through the court of public opinion.

Attorneys Monica Foster and Rhonda Long-Sharp have set up a storefront shop only a beer's throw away from Conseco Fieldhouse to sell T-shirts and buttons blasting NBA Commissioner David Stern. They say he is the one who needs some time on the bench, not Ron Artest and other players, whose suspensions put a damper on the entire team's season.

"I think the guy is drunk with power," said Foster, a season ticket-holder. "I don't think what the players did was right, but these penalties are obscene."

Five Pacers were suspended following a brawl with Detroit fans during a game against the Pistons on Nov. 19.

Artest was suspended for the remainder of the season, Stephen Jackson for 30 games, Jermaine O'Neal for 25 games, Anthony Johnson for five games and Reggie Miller for one. Miller and Johnson have served theirs.

Foster said the suspensions were unfair because it was Stern alone who determined their length.

The $15 black T-shirts read "Suspend Stern" in white letters. The pair hopes enough fans are wearing them by the nationally televised Christmas Day game with the Pistons that they will be impossible for viewers to miss.

The pair also are selling T-shirts that chide the Pistons. They read, "Indiana Subs vs. Detroit Thugs."

Foster and Long-Sharp have defended scores of Death Row inmates in Indiana and other states over the years, succeeding in saving the lives of many. In that time, they've seen the number of cases in which prosecutors seek the death penalty drop markedly.

The women describe themselves as rabid Pacers fans, though Long-Sharp says Foster is a little more maniacal than she is.

"You know the most beautiful sound in sports?" Foster asked. "When Reggie Miller steps behind the arc and fires the 3-point shot. For a couple of seconds there the entire arena is silent. Then when it swishes, the place erupts."

That much passion has its price, Long-Sharp said.

"When the Pacers lose, I don't even like to come in to work the next day," Long-Sharp explained, "because I know how upset she'll be."

The lawyers' shop, on Maryland Street next to the Hard Rock Café, will be open only two more days, on Friday and Dec. 22, when the Pacers have home games.

Terry Long, 50, Anderson, bought four "Detroit Thugs" T-shirts and eight buttons Saturday before the game. She said she may come back again for the "Suspend Stern" T-shirts.

"I think the suspensions are extremely harsh," Long said, "especially since the Pistons started the fight."

Default Re: What if 18,000 fans wore this t-shirt Christmas day

I think people should by my T-shirt idea.

Stuck Fern.

Kind of catchy don't you think?

Stern would probably suspend the Pacer franchise for the rest of the season.

It will be a wierd atmosphere. But the fact that it is Christmas, no alcohol will be sold, and it is 12:30 start time, it will be a calm atmosphere, but it is on national Tv and the Pistons ae n town, so I don't know what to expect.

It will be a wierd atmosphere. But the fact that it is Christmas, no alcohol will be sold, and it is 12:30 start time, it will be a calm atmosphere, but it is on national Tv and the Pistons ae n town, so I don't know what to expect.

I did just check and it is on ESPN.

If I could be there I would be wearing several shirts and keep changing

But on a more serious tone:

remember the ECF ? game 5 ?

WHAT IF; those same "fans" are coming to CFH again and start "gloating" over the suspensions?
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

sweabs

I hope everyone follows through and wears one of the "Suspend Stern" shirts. It would make for a pretty funny situation. I'm sure it would get a lot of exposure...and we all know how much Stern would love that

I forget where I heard it, mut have been on one of the local sports radio shows that Ticketmaster is not selling tickets to the state of Michican for that game

What are the odds of me getting a ticket to the game if I try to buy at the BO right before the game?

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I forget where I heard it, mut have been on one of the local sports radio shows that Ticketmaster is not selling tickets to the state of Michican for that game
    I think that's common practice. Something the Colts do, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    I hope the Detroit citizenry has better things to do than drive 5 hours to get drunk and watch a game at noon on Christmas Day.
    Nobody is going to be getting drunk on Christmas day, atleast not in Conseco, beer sales aren't permitted on holidays.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

I hope that people don't do this. The media will spin it in such as way as to make the people in Indiana look absolutely as bad as possible. "Look at all the goofballs who STILL love Ron Artest and think that he is a victim"

All of the national media talking heads who aren't ex-players back Stern on this. Trying to make Stern look bad will only backfire, and probably tick him off even more.

Do you think that Donnie, Larry, and the Simons would want you to war those shirts?

How much money will the Pacers franchise lose because they can't sell beer. Anyone have any idea.

OK, I'll take a stab at this. Let's say it is soldout 18,000 fans. How many drink any beer at all. Let's say it is a typical Sat night game. Of the 18K maybe 6,000 drink any beer at all. Of those probably 3,000 have two at the most.

So that is 6,000 beers at the most.

Of the other 3,000 people who have more than 2 beers each, I will say they average 4 beers.

So that is 12,000 beers.

18,000 beers total and they cost $6.00 each. so that is $108,000 gross.

I suspect the franchise nets half of that. So we are looking at the pacers losing aprox 50K.

Anyne else really bored.

Sorry

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think we really KNOW who the media back.

Seems like they had an initial reaction, which then mysteriously changed in mass less than 24 hours later.

Now, apparently they still have two different opinions. One public and the other private.

I think it would be great if we had the fieldhouse full of fans wearing these shirts! Pacer fans are the ones suffering st Stern's hands, why shouldn't he take some heat for it? He has only punished our fans! And severely at that! After all it did happen in Detroit and it was Detroit fans who share the responsibilty for this, but they haven't been punished at all by Stern while we are left on a 7 game losing streak due to his suspensions! Don't our fans matter at all? I mean isn't this all about the fans and their support of the league? Here's hoping those two lawyers hand out t-shirts on Christmas!

woman without a team

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the only Christmas game they're promoting is the Lakers-Heat game? If Stern thought he could get away with it he'd probably cancel our game all together.

SjA3837

I actually think I might buy one, and wear it to the game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    How much money will the Pacers franchise lose because they can't sell beer. Anyone have any idea.

OK, I'll take a stab at this. Let's say it is soldout 18,000 fans. How many drink any beer at all. Let's say it is a typical Sat night game. Of the 18K maybe 6,000 drink any beer at all. Of those probably 3,000 have two at the most.

So that is 6,000 beers at the most.

Of the other 3,000 people who have more than 2 beers each, I will say they average 4 beers.

So that is 12,000 beers.

18,000 beers total and they cost $6.00 each. so that is $108,000 gross.

I suspect the franchise nets half of that. So we are looking at the pacers losing aprox 50K.

Anyne else really bored.

Sorry
    I think this sounds reasonable, but you are missing one key point. Those fans who would normally drink beer will instead drink something else (soft drinks, water, coffee, etc), so some of the loss would be made up in other sales.

I guess I'm bored too!

This may go without saying, but it should be noted that alcohol is not being sold because it's the state law for holidays. Has nothing to do with the Pacers or NBA.

A couple games after the brawl, a woman called into Kevin Lee with what I think would be the best thing. Everybody should just stand up and turn there backs when the Pistons starters are introduced. No cussing, no jeering, just silence. It's a sign of protest that's alot classier than what I'm sure awaits us when we go back to Detroit.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    A couple games after the brawl, a woman called into Kevin Lee with what I think would be the best thing. Everybody should just stand up and turn there backs when the Pistons starters are introduced. No cussing, no jeering, just silence. It's a sign of protest that's alot classier than what I'm sure awaits us when we go back to Detroit.
    Ah - that would be awesome if it happened. Just dead silence...that'd be amazing...(but highly unlikely of course).

Brings me back to a provincial finals volleyball game of mine. All of our fans were on one side of the gym. After they announced our starting line-up...they went to the other team. As the PA guy announced "And now the starting line-up for (the other team)"...EVERYONE on our side of the gym brought newspapers and raised them in front of their faces! It was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I wish we could organize this. I know I'd do it.

Spread the word, call in on radio shows, get mail to Sekou, heck even Kravitz,
    spread some photocopies, wanna know how fast something like that can spread ?

want a site for it ?

we have "pacersfans.com" (currently pointing to PD) available.

Spread the gospel, if you build it etc.

But someone better make a vid of it
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    I hope that people don't do this. The media will spin it in such as way as to make the people in Indiana look absolutely as bad as possible. "Look at all the goofballs who STILL love Ron Artest and think that he is a victim"

All of the national media talking heads who aren't ex-players back Stern on this. Trying to make Stern look bad will only backfire, and probably tick him off even more.

Do you think that Donnie, Larry, and the Simons would want you to war those shirts?
    Well, the game is going to be on ESPN. Mike Breen and Bill Walton will more than likely get the assignment.

I watched the Celtics-Sonics game on League Pass on the Boston feed, and at halftime Walton was interviewed promoting something (can't remember off the top of my head). The Boston halftime announcer asked Walton about the fight. He said he couldn't fathom why any player would ever go into the stands. He also thought that David Stern was light in his punishment, and that he felt Artest should have been suspended for life.

So, you bring up a very good point. Certainly, if 18,000 Pacer fans show up in "Suspend Stern" T-shirts, Walton's commentary will be very negative towards Pacer fans. Possibly something along the line of "They've lowered themselves to the Pistons fans level."

Not that that should stop Pacer fans. Even as a Piston fan, I can respect a good idea when I see one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I wish we could organize this. I know I'd do it.
    Well, we could organize and have people with signs stating as much on either side of the entry pavilion. But, I'm just too lazy.

I sit in the front row of my section, so maybe when I do it, everyone else will.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Yeah...too many people are going to boo to allow that to happen. But I just wish we wouldn't introduce the Pistons players at all...Like they need recognition for coming to play us...Just announce "tonight's opponents, the Detroit Pistons," then go on with the normal Pacers intros...But of course that won't happen either...Oh well...