Thread: Yahoo!Sports.com: Russell Wilson's agent asks Seahawks for a new contract

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Yahoo!Sports.com: Russell Wilson's agent asks Seahawks for a new contract

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...5605--nfl.html

In his first regular season in the National Football League, Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson completed over 64 percent of 393 pass attempts for 3,118 yards and 26 touchdowns with used his legs for another 489 yards and four touchdowns. In two playoff games, Wilson passed for 572 yards, including a rookie single-game record 385 yards in a 30-28 loss to the Atlanta Falcons on Jan. 13, with three touchdowns and had 127 yards and another touchdown on the ground.
    Wilson, a third-round pick out of Wisconsin, adapted very quickly to life in the NFL. Apparently more so than his agents - James "Bus" Cook, who owns BC Sports - have adapted to the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement.
    ________

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, via Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com, a representative of Wilson's reached out to the Seahawks to insist that "something be done" to Wilson's contract, which will pay the Rookie of the Year candidate $1,189,051 over the next two seasons ($526,617 in 2013 and $662,434 in 2014).

The Seahawks would certainly love nothing more than to lock Wilson up for the long-term, but even if they wanted to, no adjustments can be made to Wilson's contract until after the final game of the 2014 season. As stated in Article 7, Section 3(k)(i) of the CBA:

"A Rookie Contract for a Drafted Rookie may not be renegotiated, amended or altered in any way until after the final regular season game of the player's third contract year."
    I will tell you who should be asking for a new contract. Colin Kaepernick. He has played lights out all year, and if he goes on to win the SB....yeah, wow

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Yahoo!Sports.com: Russell Wilson's agent asks Seahawks for a new contract

I miss the days when players would play out their contract.

Default Re: Yahoo!Sports.com: Russell Wilson's agent asks Seahawks for a new contract

Seriously? Has this guy never heard of the term "one-year wonder"? No team in the NFL would give him a new contract after his rookie year.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Bus Cook was pretty adamant that this report is 100% ********. I know it is generally tough to believe an agent but I fully believe him here. If it were possible to get a raise, sure he probably would and should ask for one. But Cook knows the rules so I can't see this happening.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, if your agent tells you they are planning on trying to get you a raise and you are still in the first year of your rookie contract then you might want to fire them now, because they obviously don't know the rules, and are not on top of their stuff.
    Why so SERIOUS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bus Cook was pretty adamant that this report is 100% ********. I know it is generally tough to believe an agent but I fully believe him here. If it were possible to get a raise, sure he probably would and should ask for one. But Cook knows the rules so I can't see this happening.
    Good call

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ussell-wilson/