Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NBA all stars starters announced today

Default Re: NBA all stars starters announced today

I share the same sentiment about how All-star starters are selected, but All-star festivities are usually dedicated for fans so we really can't argue about who the majority want to see. The main problem is that the promotion of players is unequal. I mean despite the struggles of the Lakers and Celtics, Kobe, KG and the rest of the gang are more exposed to the media (highlights, articles, promotional videos, etc.).

The best way for this is to limit and filter the selection of players then from the crop the fans will choose who they want to see, as MAStamper suggested. Or have the fans' votes have 1/3 weight and the other weights will come from coaches and/or players themselves.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Roy Hibbert was an all star with 12.8 and 8.8 I don't is crazy to see KG get the all star with 14.6 and 7, just saying and I don't agree with him starting.(KG)
    The hate on Garnett is particularly hypocritical considering this board is full of people who rave about Hibbert's defense and complain whenever media outlets overlook him because his "numbers" are low. Garnett has been even more impactful for the Celtics D than has any player on the Pacers. He's anchoring a top 10 (and EASILY atop 5 defense when he's on the court) defense, and he is a very efficient offensive player still.

You can't cite lower numbers for defensive players as reason against them but then flip the logic for Pacer defensive studs.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    The hate on Garnett is particularly hypocritical considering this board is full of people who rave about Hibbert's defense and complain whenever media outlets overlook him because his "numbers" are low. Garnett has been even more impactful for the Celtics D than has any player on the Pacers. He's anchoring a top 10 (and EASILY atop 5 defense when he's on the court) defense, and he is a very efficient offensive player still.

You can't cite lower numbers for defensive players as reason against them but then flip the logic for Pacer defensive studs.
    Exactly, if you were happy with Roy as a all star you shouldn't be complaining that somebody with similar numbers is making the all star team yes KG is a dick but who cares? the all star is not for nice guys only.

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post

The main reason people here are not happy is because the Celtics, currently 7th in the league, has 2 all-stars, and both are starters. It basically kills the chances of other frontcourt players who play better than KG this season. It's not because KG does not deserve to be an all-star, but because there are players ahead of him right now that are more desrving.

On Hibbert's case, stats were very debatable, and even a lot did not agree that Hibbert deserves to be an All-star last year. But sporting one of the league's best record plus being a center certainly helps Hibbert's case. And Hibbert was a reserve btw.
    Last edited by 15th parallel; 01-18-2013 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    The main reason people here are not happy is because the Celtics, currently 7th in the league, has 2 all-stars, and both are starters. It basically kills the chances of other frontcourt players who play better than KG this season. It's not because KG does not deserve to be an all-star, but because there are players ahead of him right now that are more desrving.

On Hibbert's case, stats were very debatable, and even a lot did not agree that Hibbert deserves to be an All-star last year. But sporting one of the league's best record plus being a center certainly helps Hibbert's case. And Hibbert was a reserve btw.
    I was responding to the multitude of posts saying he didn't deserve to be an all-star or that there are lots of other players who deserve to be in ahead of Garnett. If it were cut and dry, the best players make it in the correct order, I think Garnett deserves to be in even though he doesn't start. But the Celtics are a good team and are in Boston, and good players from Boston will always beat out good players from the plethora of small markets in the East.

It's impossible to compare all-star votes or nods as a true indication of who the best players were anyway. Obviously the starters are a joke, but even the reserves are chosen as a mixture of merit of play, who happens to belong to a winning team, who has been on the cusp for several years but hasn't made it yet, etc. There are so many reasons guys get voted in. And if Garnett didn't get voted in, Bosh was gonna get voted in and Garnett would be on the bench. I doubt it changes much.

To clarify, when I was talking about Hibbert I was talking in general, not just about all star positioning. As an example whole Brook Lopez vs. Roy Hibbert argument on the Hibbert side was predicated on the fact that though Brook had the better numbers Roy was the better player. And last year, and even before it was a very good argument. That's getting tougher to believe this season, but it's still early in their contracts.
    Last edited by aamcguy; 01-18-2013 at 12:58 AM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Hibbert doesn't deserve mention of being an all-star. But to say that no player on the Pacers is playing the D that KG is? Right now Paul and Hibbert are both ahead of what KG is doing on defense, and I think both have a better shot at the all-defensive team than KG does. And they are anchoring not just the top defense in the NBA, but one that's gotten buzz lately for statistically drifting into all-time great defensive teams discussions.

KG has been a great defender and is still decent, but he is not as disruptive as either Roy or Paul THIS season. Paul has more steals p/36 and isn't far off on blocks/36, and Hibbert is just crushing KG in blocks/36 (1.00 vs 3.50). And both play on a team destroying the NBA in DEF FG% so far, to the point that 2nd place has fallen historically behind them (ie, a gap between 1st and 2nd that's rare).

So the Hibbert last year because DEF offset his meh numbers does NOT match the KG situation this year. I don't think people realize how much better Indiana's defense has been compared to the KG led Boston defense. Boston is 15th in FG% allowed (.446) vs Indy at #1 (.413). With a 33 point difference, Boston is closer to last (CLE, .472) than Indy. The same is true for eFG% allowed.

The Pacers are 3rd in blocks, Boston is 27th. So KG is not anchoring some defense of terror and is not putting up defensive numbers that make you look right past offensive numbers that are sub-AS caliber.

KG wasn't going to make it with the coaches, I have no doubts about that. Chandler and Noah both are bigger impact players right now and it's very close with West. All 3 play for teams that have been better than Boston so far, and 2 of them are playing without their #1 star. Also I'm pretty freaking sure NYK and CHI are bigger markets than Boston, and there's a good case for Miami as well thanks to their national exposure right now. So no West, perhaps, but Bosh, Chandler and Noah all go ahead of KG. Noah as the only CHI rep, Chandler and Melo as the NYK reps. Boston doesn't get 3 AS when they are flirting with 500 and do things like lose to NOH in Boston by 12.

I didn't even mention Josh Smith, but obviously as the best player from yet another team better than Boston, he's going too.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-18-2013 at 01:22 AM.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Fan voting is never going to put in all the most deserving players, that happens every year. You have to hope for some degree of justice with the reserves.
    At least Jeremy Lin is not a starter!
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Horford, Noah, Josh Smith, Chandler, Bosh those are all players that are simply better than KG right now. KG has had a phenomenal career. No hate for what he's done. However, he's just no longer that player. Or At least he isn't this year.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I don't see any real outstanding centers in the East this year.
    Joakim Noah is averaging 12.4 PPG, 10.7 RPG, 4.1 APG, 2 BPG and 1.1 SPG.

He should and he will be an All-Star since he has better stats and has led the Bulls to a much better record than KG has.

Anyway, the fans once more went for reputation over production and result. I'm not surprised at all. The coaches will select the true All-Stars.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    No Lin? Did the NBA crack down on the Chinese vote or something?
    yeah i was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    I keep hoping that one of these years the fans will no longer be the ones in charge of who the first ten all-stars are.

Maybe a good tweak would be having the coaches select all of the players for the rosters but the fans get to vote who starts from that set of players.
    great idea.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really don't get the controversy over all star selections every year

We have prestigious teams selected every year based on production, and a full season of production instead of just the first half.

The all-star thing is nice, but people who treat it like the end-all of NBA recognition need to take a step back and get a grip. We have all-NBA teams for that.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    If Roy Hibbert was an all star with 12.8 and 8.8 I don't think is crazy to see KG get the all star with 14.6 and 7, just saying and I don't agree with him starting.(KG)
    If Roy was selected as a starter, it would be a travesty.

Luckily, he was selected as a reserve as he ought to be.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

The fans actually did a pretty good job this year. Nobody can argue that Dwyane Wade, Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, or Kevin Durant are deserved starters. So 6 of the 10 are no brainers as starters. There is a case to be made for Kyrie Irving but Rajon Rondo is clearly worthy of making the team with a solid case as a starter. No complaint there. Obviously, Kevin Garnett shouldn't be starting but he has a pretty good case as an All-Star. It's a mistake but not an egregious one. I personally think LaMarcus Aldridge should start in place of Blake Griffin but Griffin is clearly an All-Star regardless so it's not a big deal. I'd have voted for Tim Duncan over Dwight Howard but again two clear All-Stars so it's a moot point. Garnett is the only player starting who isn't a stone cold lock as an All-Star but even then he's not exactly chopped liver.

My Eastern team:

Rajon Rondo
    Dwyane Wade
    LeBron James
    Carmelo Anthony
    Kevin Garnett

Kyrie Irving
    Jrue Holiday
    Paul Pierce
    Paul George
    Josh Smith
    Chris Bosh
    Tyson Chandler

My Western team:

Chris Paul
    Kobe Bryant
    Kevin Durant
    Blake Griffin
    Dwight Howard

Russell Westbrook
    Stephen Curry
    James Harden
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    David Lee
    Zach Randolph
    Tim Duncan
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It is not a joke at all. Their point guard is one of the Leagues best and KG has been a superstar for a long time. They will keep getting better and better as the season goes on. I would take Boston right now in a seven game series with the Pacers......
    This coming from the same guy who said he was going to place bets AGAINST the Colts and Pacers every game because he knew he'd come out a winner. How's that working out for you bud?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to trey For This Useful Post:

When do they announce the reserves?
    "We want Miami"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

next thursday.

Lots of talk about Boston not deserving two starters, but how about the Lakers getting two. What the hell?!?! I mean they are in 11th FRIGGIN' PLACE!! They won't even make the playoffs this year. They don't even deserve one player on the reserves, let alone two starters. What a joke. Just goes to show how retarded the average NBA fan is.

Westbrook not starting and no Spurs starting is just plain stupid.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ThunderMakeR For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool Re: NBA all stars starters announced today

Quote Originally Posted by trey View Post
    This coming from the same guy who said he was going to place bets AGAINST the Colts and Pacers every game because he knew he'd come out a winner. How's that working out for you bud?
    I have never bet against the Pacers, that is untrue. I did bet against the Colts and that didn't go very well... What does that have to do about comments about the Pacers? Are you picking the Pacers over Boston in a seven game series? If so, you greatly underestimate the power of superstars and one would have thought that Miami showed you what that was all about against Miami last year. I think it is even possible that Boston will finish the regular season with a better record than the Pacers. I still think Boston is the second best team in the east regardless of what their season record is. I also think the Pacers are about the fourth to sixth best team in the east regardless of the record. I look for the Pacers to go out in the first round of the playoffs unless they get a good draw like last year with a team with their superstar out with injury. I believe the Pacers are a very good regular season team because they can play lots of players. But, as always, when they shorten those rotations and the superstars start getting heavy minutes, the Pacers won't be able to compete with that. I think they definitely would lose to Miami, Boston, Knicks or Chicago. They might also lost to Atlanta in a playoff game....

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    Lots of talk about Boston not deserving two starters, but how about the Lakers getting two. What the hell?!?! I mean they are in 11th FRIGGIN' PLACE!! They won't even make the playoffs this year. They don't even deserve one player on the reserves, let alone two starters. What a joke. Just goes to show how retarded the average NBA fan is.

Westbrook not starting and no Spurs starting is just plain stupid.
    The fans are always right. I think the Lakers will make the playoffs and I think they will be very strong by then. I don't believe they have the right coach or the right system to win a title but they are going to make a charge and get in the playoffs. Kobe is having a monster year and Howard gets in just because he is the best center in the NBA........

I hate...haaate Joakim, but I do feel like he's getting shafted in some of your guys' lists. He should be an all-star this year

29. The Following User Says Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

The fans are always right.
    False.

100% False.

1000% False.

100,000 False.

Those ripping KG, did you not see what he did to us when we played Boston? KG clearly outplayed West that game, and is simply a better player. I don't care about stats, I watch the games, and KG is still elite at 36 years old. I want West to make the AS game as bad as anybody, but thinking he is better than KG is blind homerism
    David "And One" West

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

My Western team:

Chris Paul
    Kobe Bryant
    Kevin Durant
    Blake Griffin
    Dwight Howard

Russell Westbrook
    Stephen Curry
    James Harden
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    David Lee
    Zach Randolph
    Tim Duncan

Finally, someone has Z-Bo making the West's reserves. How can he not make it? He's averaging 16.4/11.6/1.4 @ 49% FG and 76% FT shooting. He's the top player on the 4th best team in the West and 6th best team in the NBA. It will be a tragedy if he's not selected.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The coaches vote for the bench players and there is no way the coaches are selecting JR Smith over Paul George. I don't think that JR is too popular with the coaches. Josh Smith has a better shot at making the team than JR, IMO.

I really think that if a second Knicks player is selected, it will be Tyson Chandler. He's earned it IMO. Chandler, Noah, and Horford have been better this season than KG.

Rondo is definitely an All-Star and there isn't another PG better than him in the East. I love Kyrie but his defense has been terrible this year and he's missed a ton of games.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

A Rondo, Wade, George, Melo, Lebron lineup on the court for the East would have the potential for some RIDICULOUS plays.

I could actually see Rondo, George, Melo, Lebron, Chandler closing the game for the East.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods