Thread: Indiana Pro Soccer Team

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool Re: Indiana Pro Soccer Team

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are very uninformed. Soccer is increasing exponentially in the US.

http://sportspath.typepad.com/files/...s-to-climb.pdf

Here is a study that lets people know that soccer is the second most popular sport among ages 12-24 in the US. NFL football is first, NBA is 3rd.

Baseball is an old mans game. Soccer is much more exciting with constant action throughout. Maybe if you gave soccer a chance you wouldn't be so ignorant.

No thanks and it still won't sell here. We will see who is ignorant when this Indy attempt goes belly up and it certainly will....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana Pro Soccer Team

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I don't believe that stat. I'm in my mid 20's and the only people I've ever heard talk about it are diehard fans who played it in high school. The World Cup excites people, but that's it.
    So you are in the very late range of 12-24 if at all. Do you qualify for the stat? Just because your friends dont talk about it doesn't mean other people don't. Im 18 and I talk about soccer constantly with my friends. Granted its mostly the BPL, but still.

So you are in the very late range of 12-24 if at all. Do you qualify for the stat? Just because your friends dont talk about it doesn't mean other people do. Im 18 and I talk about soccer constantly with my friends. Granted its mostly the BPL, but still.
    Well I qualified for that stat five months ago and the 12 years prior. So is it only in the last five months that soccer has become popular in the 12-24 demographic?

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    No thanks and it still won't sell here. We will see who is ignorant when this Indy attempt goes belly up and it certainly will....
    What proof do you have to back your statement up that makes you think the team will fold?

Give me an article that shows that Indiana hates Soccer. For god sakes IU just won the national title in front of thousands of fans who travelled all the way to Alabama.

Please don't cite an article about the Blast, as soccer is 10 times the sport in the Us that it was 10+ years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Well I qualified for that stat five months ago and the 12 years prior. So is it only in the last five months that soccer has become popular in the 12-24 demographic?
    Is the stat Sollozo and his friends?

EDIT: For the record, I wasn't calling you ignorant.

Is the stat Sollozo and his friends?

EDIT: For the record, I wasn't calling you ignorant.

Look, as a non-fan of Soccer, I don't want to be seen as raining on anyone's parade so I'm going to quit saying negative stuff in a thread about something that excites people. I hope it succeeds.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-17-2013 at 07:48 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

MLS is big here in DC, DC United is without question more popular than the Wizards (which mostly has to do with the Wizards being absolutely irrelevant for the past 6-7 years) and they have a nice fanbase. A lot of my friends at work follow soccer and talk about it. But having friends from all over the place, I will say soccer seems mostly popular among affluent people on the East Coast, and that people in the Midwest regardless of socioeconomic background aren't as wild about it.

Then again, one of my friends from HS randomly texted me that he went to a Chicago Fire game, so maybe that is changing now.

Personally I think soccer is alright, I really got into the World Cup but the talent level drop from World Cup to MLS makes MLS hard to watch for me. I know people love the EPL but I didn't grow up and have never lived in the UK, so I don't have any natural affinity for any of the clubs and therefore can't get into it.
    Last edited by idioteque; 01-17-2013 at 07:41 PM.

The fact that this thread is almost at 3 pages in less than a day seems like the idea of soccer is pretty exciting to people in this area.

I'm really excited about this. I've been waiting for a long time to have a local team and it's finally happening. I've been to a lot of MLS games but never really had anybody to root for. Glad I have a team. The city will need to show a lot of support to make the next step, but really all we need is a billionaire to get behind it and we'll get a team. To get an MLS team you need 1) a billionaire owner 2) a soccer-specific stadium 3) a decent to large metro area. With this plan, 2 down 1 to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Plan is to build a stadium in 2 years and move to the MLS. Soccer specific venues are awesome. So pumped for this, will be great for downtown summers! Already put down my deposit on season tix.
    Is a move to the MLS a stated goal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Is a move to the MLS a stated goal?
    This has been my understanding from the beginning. Portland used this same strategy successfully, over 1000 season tickets deposited on in the first 24 hours. Carroll stadium will only sit about 8,000 for soccer. That is pretty good folks.

Indy has a good Hispanic population (often the basis for successful MLS franchises), it has 3 extremely successful college soccer programs within 2 hours (IU....the 8 time national champs and also Butler and Notre Dame). They will build a team with local talent that can compete on a national level. IU soccer has produced 41 MLS players after the draft today. This is a rich soccer state, it's just that people don't really acknowledge it for whatever reason.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Exciting news! Looking very forward to it.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

I honestly do see Soccer surpassing the NHL someday down the road. So if we could get to the MLS it would be nice for Indy to have 3 major sports franchises.

Although at this point I don't think surpassing the NHL necessarily means you are a big league sport

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So Blu thinks soccer won't sell here. That seals it for me! I'm absolutely convinced that not only will it sell here, they will sell out every home game, successfully transition to MLS, and be champs within 5 years. Book it!

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Indiana is a great place for a soccer team.

Blu is just being a bitter old man again.

You mean kinda like how Luck and the Colts went belly up this year like you predicted? Yup, we already know who is ignorant.

Soccer is incredibly popular among kids and super exciting to watch. Always jealous of MLS and EPL teams when they are cheering their hearts out during games. So looking forward to doing that myself.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Soccer is probably the 3rd most popular sport among young adults here in Indy. I guess someone who lives here would know that, not some crazed homeless man.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not a big soccer guy personally but whatever sells is fine, long as people fill the arenas then it'll be all good. Soccer can work and is rapidly growing.

The NHL is just run horribly at the moment, and its regular season, and most early playoff games aren't even on regular TV. They really need some sort of side deal with ESPN again or somebody to help advertise their games. When they actually show an NBC playoff hockey game, its all very well done, and I'm super jealous that there's nothing like that with national NBA broadcasts.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Soccer is probably the 3rd most popular sport among young adults here in Indy. I guess someone who lives here would know that, not some crazed homeless man.
    A crazed homeless man? I would doubt that soccer is the third most poplular sport in Indy. I would guess that some research would show that baseball is ahead of it and perhaps auto racing too. The name calling is getting out of hand again for someone who only said that soccer was boring. People are not even supporting the Pacers in what used to be the most popular sport in the state.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    You mean kinda like how Luck and the Colts went belly up this year like you predicted? Yup, we already know who is ignorant.

Soccer is incredibly popular among kids and super exciting to watch. Always jealous of MLS and EPL teams when they are cheering their hearts out during games. So looking forward to doing that myself.
    I was wrong about how the Colts would finish. I was right that Luck was the fourth or fifth best rookie last year. I was right that RGIII would be the rookie of the year (called after game 6) and the rookie offensive player of the year. The Colts won 11 games giving up many more points than they scored. They had miracle after miracle. I don't think it will happen again and I expect them to come crashing down to earth next year. But, I really don't care, they lost me as a fan. I will be watching RGIII and Peyton play, not the Dolts.....

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    Indiana is a great place for a soccer team.

Blu is just being a bitter old man again.
    Good luck. The City won't even give support to the Pacers......

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    So Blu thinks soccer won't sell here. That seals it for me! I'm absolutely convinced that not only will it sell here, they will sell out every home game, successfully transition to MLS, and be champs within 5 years. Book it!
    Ha, ha and all this from a city that won't even support a pro basketball team?

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Isn't this the definition of you know what?
    I don't think so. I never see anyone admitting that I was right that RGIII was the Rookie of the year and the offensive rookie of the year. When they file for bankruptcy, I will probably mention it. I think the city needs to work on what it has, the Pacers, who are 26th in attendence in the league and they have more people watch them on the road than at home. I do see that is improving as it certainly should with a division leading team that is winning.... Indy could not support a major league baseball team or an NHL franchise, so why does anyone think soccer which is not popular as a spectator sport around the county going to succeed.... Perhaps as a minor league team that might draw 4000 to 5000 people per game. If that is good, then go for it. I won't be attending or watching or caring at all....

Soccer is boring....OK.....whatever you say boss. Why are you coming in here to talk about such a boring sport? Just so you can have a reaction?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Ha, ha and all this from a city that won't even support a pro basketball team?
    Treating this as a real response rather than auto-contrariness...

I believe as do others that the problems with the Pacer support stem from the abundance of other basketball options that provide (in many people's minds) a better basketball experience for the money. An NBA team in Indiana is very much like selling ice to eskimos or bringing coals to Newcastle - they'd better be really SPECIAL ice cubes or very HOT coals.

Soccer, on the other hand, grows in popularity because it is becoming THE sport for young children to learn. My kids never played it, but my grandkids are all involved in one way or another. The kids of my younger co-workers are also very involved, in the same way I was involved in football and basketball.

Add to that the large Latino population in Indy (have you driven past the parks on W Washington on Sunday afternoon and seen the crowds there?), I think there is a very good chance that a reasonably-sized and sited stadium can make an extremely successful MLS team.

Contrary opinions are fine, but let's keep this thread to SPECIFICS and not "oh, it bores me, I don't care so no one else should either"
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh