Thread: Colts pursue Canadian DT Armond Armstead

Default Colts pursue Canadian DT Armond Armstead

ESPN is reporting that the Colts are after a CFL defensive tackle.

Grigson also confirmed that the Colts are in strong pursuit of 300-pound defensive tackle Armond Armstead, who has been playing in the Canadian Football League.

"He was here on a visit, he's a talented guy, I feel he fits this defense nice and had some versatility with this defense," Grigson said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88...ll-major-needs

I wonder if they're looking at him as a DE. Seems like a bigger need than DT.

At 300 pounds, he's not big enough to play nose tackle.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Default Re: Colts pursue Canadian DT Armond Armstead

Looks like it was tweeted by Mike Chappell too.

#colts GM Ryan Grigson said team is pursuing 6-5, 300-pound Armon Armstead. Former-USC standout was CFL all-star with Toronto Argonauts.
    https://twitter.com/mchappell51/stat...10134125289472

Hmmm, has a prior health issue.

The 22-year-old former USC standout went to Canada to prove he was healthy enough to play football again after suffering a heart attack, the subject of a lawsuit against the school in which Armstead alleges the attack was brought on by painkillers.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88...-radar-sources

Quote Originally Posted by OakMoses View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's definitely not a nose tackle at 6'5, 300. That's prototypical 3-4 DE size.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope we get him, worst that happens is he adds depth, which we will need seeing how all our DE's seem to wind up hurt
    Why so SERIOUS

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran

The Patriots have signed Armond Armstead, according to a source. Former USC player was productive as CFL pass rusher in 2012.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...gn-dl-armstead

Armstead, 22, played three seasons for Southern Carl, from 2008-2010, starting 17 games and recording 59 tackles. His attorney claims Armstead suffered a heart attack in early 2011, the alleged result of team doctors treating him with the painkiller Toradol. He was not medically cleared to play in 2011, and sued the university in August 2012 for unspecified damages.

After going undrafted in 2012, Armstead signed with the Argonauts, in part to prove he was healthy.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter wrote on Armstead earlier this month: "In the 6-foot-5, 300-pound Armstead, an NFL team will be getting the equivalent of a high draft pick months before the April draft."
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 01-22-2013 at 04:59 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

ITs a good signing for the Pats.. Just a quick question for you Slick. Of the Pats FA's who do you think the Pats will keep?

Everyone assumes Welker is gone but what about Volmer, Talib and Chung?

Chung is gone- he really didn't see the field much in the last half of the season. He even complained about his role at one point, a real no-no in the land of Belichick.

I think they like Vollmer but he's been dealing with lingering back issues that make him perpetually questionable, and that's a level of uncertainty you don't want from a RT. I'd say less it's 50-50.

Talib did himself a world of good in rehabbing his image with a productive half-season, so I expect him to price himself out of the market for staying in NE. If so, I think it increases Welker's chances. I think it might be either/or between Talib and Wes.

Edelman likely would stay, I think, as a special teams stalwart and cheaper replacement to Welker if the either/or decision is in Talib's favor. His health issues are a concern too, though.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

I would figure Talib would be the top choice to bring back since he really is the only good corner on the roster. Wes Welker is great but his drops seem to have gone up IMO and it always seems that Brady can make things work with just about any wr.

As a Colt fan Talib seems like the obvious choice and I wouldn't mind him on the Colts roster next to Davis.

On a side note I am really shocked that Ron Brace didn't have a big impact on the defense. Maybe that just because Vince is immortal but I always liked Ron at Boston College.

Quote Originally Posted by OakMoses View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You tell him that. I'm not going to!

Talib is the one to sign if money is not as concern. Belichick likes the guy and has praised him, though he was hurt often in his short stay.

I just think he will start a free agency bidding war, and anytime that has happened in the past with free agents already on the team (Vinatieri, Asante Samuel, Deon Branch in his prime, Ty Law) the Patriots have to my knowledge always refused to be the top bidder. They have gotten players to stay for roughly equal money, a slight hometown discount, longer years with less money, or let them walk. Having been there only a few months and being at a position of very high demand, I doubt Talib is interested in cutting the Pats any sort of deal. I would LOVE to be wrong.

Yeah, Brace was a big disappointment. They tried to use him next to Vince (they use Love, who is also huge, next to Vince) but for whatever reason Brace rarely even got onto the field.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 01-23-2013 at 02:55 PM.