Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Granger to begin practicing soon?

Default Granger to begin practicing soon?

A friend read an ESPN insider article about Granger and his rehab, he told me that the article said that Danny has not been cleared to practice yet, but that Vogel says he thinks he will be cleared to practice soon, just wondering what everyone thinks about it. BTW if there are any insiders here the article is on the Pacers ESPN page.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Granger to begin practicing soon?

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013.../1062/SPORTS04

Granger progressing
    Injured Pacers forward Danny Granger looked even healthier Tuesday as he continued to rehabilitate his injured left knee.

The former NBA All-Star hasn’t played during the regular season and hasn’t practiced with the team since the end of October. But he has been active on the peripheral, working up a solid sweat before Tuesday’s game.

Pacers coach Frank Vogel said he hasn’t asked about the veteran forward’s progress, in part because Granger hasn’t been cleared to practice.

But Vogel knows that day is coming — at least he hopes it is.

“I know they’re progressing the want they want to,” Vogel said of the training staff. “They’re optimistic about the timeline that was set in place three months ago, which would have him back somewhere ideally late January, but more than likely early February.”

Granger wasn’t available to the media prior to Tuesday’s game.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is the insider piece, not much more than the Star piece.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/...ins-on-schedle

Danny Granger is making steady progress from his left knee injury and even though the training staff has not been cleared the small forward to practice, Pacers head coach Frank Vogel thinks it's coming soon.

“I know they’re progressing the way they want to,” Vogel told The Indianapolis Star. “They’re optimistic about the timeline that was set in place three months ago, which would have him back somewhere ideally late January, but more than likely early February.”

Paul George has played well with Granger sidelined and he will shift over to shooting guard when Granger is finally ready to play.

He was shooting around before the game and the last one to leave.

He wasn't wearing anything on his knee, he was running, catching and shooting. The shots were all falling.

Just my take, but he'll be back sometime early February. It seems he's right on schedule.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

good, looks like we won't have to wait too long until #33 is back on the court

I said this in another thread, but I think there's an awful lot of "What have you done for me lately" with Granger. People forget how much he's carried the team over the past few years, and he's proven that he's willing to take on any role the team needs. I can't wait to put Granger and New George on the wings and see what we do to people.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

10. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Encouraging. I can't wait. As long as he's healthy and the team gets re-acclimated to his presence on the court quickly, we're going to be a force.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said this in another thread, but I think there's an awful lot of "What have you done for me lately" with Granger. People forget how much he's carried the team over the past few years, and he's proven that he's willing to take on any role the team needs. I can't wait to put Granger and New George on the wings and see what we do to people.
    That's the thing. In I'm sure that same thread some people were clamoring, "What's in it for me? I'm putting my time and money into it."

You're paying to watch live basketball. Danny or no Danny there is still a game going on and quite honestly we're really good.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Can't wait till he's back.

Dominant D will get even more Dominant-y.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I can agree with that, but on the flip side there was just as much overrating of him when he was on the court and during the first two weeks of the season when we struggled, it was "this is a lottery team without him, he's an MVP type player".

So there's that.

My only concern is that the starting 5 may miss Lance's ability to handle the ball. Granger has always been suspect when it comes to ballhandling and playmaking, and Paul George (for all his improvements) still has below average handles if he's playing the SG position. Our starting 5 will definitely be a few steps slower, so let's hope that we can keep the turnovers down.

If they re-integrate him the way Dallas did with Dirk, it should be a smoother transition that allows Vogel to identify strengths and weaknesses of certain lineups.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who has ever stated that Danny is an MVP type player? There's a big disconnect from what people type and what people read.

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Maybe MVP of the team...

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

I am most excited about the possibility of a Heat vs. Pacers rematch in the play-offs, D-Wade on the new and improved Paul George? I think Paul could dominate that line-up offensively, even if they put LeBron on George then Granger could post up D-Wade all day.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    I can agree with that, but on the flip side there was just as much overrating of him when he was on the court and during the first two weeks of the season when we struggled, it was "this is a lottery team without him, he's an MVP type player".

So there's that.
    No, there's not that. I call shenanigans. I will happily admit I'm wrong when you paste a link to somebody saying that Danny is an MVP type player.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Can't wait till he's back.

Dominant D will get even more Dominant-y.
    I gave you a thanks just for "Dominant-y" -

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I am most excited about the possibility of a Heat vs. Pacers rematch in the play-offs, D-Wade on the new and improved Paul George? I think Paul could dominate that line-up offensively, even if they put LeBron on George then Granger could post up D-Wade all day.
    I like those ideas.... Let's save the rematch for the ECF though (just in case)

My guess is he'll play in a game sometime around the allstar break. He might play a game or two before, so they can see how he responds or they might hold him out until after so he has another week to get ready.

Obviously that is just a guess on my part, I have no inside info

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Granger's injury is such a blessing in disquise. It's allowed Paul and Lance to learn how to play with their an expanded role and it's given Frank and the coaching staff plenty of opportunities to teach them and correct bad habits like Paul trying to split the defenders when he's trapped and Lance forcing things and barrelling over players on his way to the basket.

I really think Lance coming off the bench will be a beast. He's a willing passer anyway and now he can take a bigger role in initiating the offense. If Paul or Danny gets in early foul trouble he can come in and still bring good defensive pressure on opposing wings.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

This was probably mentioned in the Grantand thread, but in the article it was mentioned that we were a Top 10 offense last year. We're almost dead last this year. Having Granger back could help solve that issue.

One could also point out that the same article mentioned our current starting 5 this year is in the Top 10 of points per possession or 100 possessions or whatever that stat is, so Granger being out could have nothing to do with our putrid offense this year... just the bench. Then again, getting Granger back could help our bench.

I'm running around in circles... I'll stop, but it can't be a bad thing to get Granger back can it? We'll see I guess.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I'm saying he's back before the All-Star game.

It's like Christmas, getting so excited.

Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-16-2013 at 04:15 PM.

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I say he comes off the bench starting January 30 against Detroit, minutes slowly increasing. Back in starting lineup first game after all star break.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Seriously, time to get excited. I'm buying a Danny Granger Returns Advent calender with little Pacers chocolates behind each window of the BILF.

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    I think the joke was that Danny would garner some MVP votes because the #3 team in the East (in 2011-12) looked lottery-bound in December.

Quote Originally Posted by dgranger17 View Post
    This was probably mentioned in the Grantand thread, but in the article it was mentioned that we were a Top 10 offense last year. We're almost dead last this year. Having Granger back could help solve that issue.

One could also point out that the same article mentioned our current starting 5 this year is in the Top 10 of points per possession or 100 possessions or whatever that stat is, so Granger being out could have nothing to do with our putrid offense this year... just the bench. Then again, getting Granger back could help our bench.

I'm running around in circles... I'll stop, but it can't be a bad thing to get Granger back can it? We'll see I guess.
    Top 10 in efficiency, we were middle tier in PPG, and had a bad FG%. The difference between last year and this year is mostly FT% (5% worse) and 3P% (3% worse, thank you Green and DJ).
    Last edited by Eleazar; 01-16-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Mood

While I certainly do not want Granger to come back before he is 100%, I will say that if he is back before I come up from GA for the Heat game on 2/1 I can only imagine how electric the atmosphere would be for that game!