Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roy Hibbert- self-riteous, self-absorbed?

Default Re: Roy Hibbert- self-riteous, self-absorbed?

I think anyone with media exposure is what you might call a passive role model, versus an active role model.

To me, a passive role model can be anyone with media exposure (TV, radio, Internet, whatever), where in any case that person has an audience observing or listening to them. They may not be out there because the are actively trying to be mimicked in some way, but nonetheless they do have ears and/or eyeballs on them, and at least some people (probably mostly some children) are prone to taking something from their behavior and then mimicking it themselves. The whole monkey-see-monkey-do concept I used to hear as a kid. That's not their fault, and they didn't do it for that reason, and I don't feel they carry a high degree of responsibility for it, but I think it does exist.

Then you have active role models, the people who deliberately want people to follow their example. Being a big fan of the character and those films, I immediately think of the fictitious example of what Bruce Wayne was trying to do by being Batman in the Nolan films; he wanted to inspire people to resist the state of things in Gotham (the corruption, the crime). He was an active role model who was deliberately theatrical to gain attention and to hopefully inspire good. He was an active role model. His actions would carry a much higher responsibility with regards to being a role model because he's actively bringing it upon himself on purpose.

Something like that, anyway.

Getting back to passive role models, I think they have some degree of responsibility in so much as they have to know that impressionable people (again, mostly some children) are observing them, and that if they act a fool, that might have a negative impact on someone like that (although I can't imagine it ever being very serious), but I think that only goes so far before you have to give them a pass. They are, ultimately, out there to earn money playing a sport, not because they deliberately wanted to be an active role model or were trying to inspire people, and I don't feel they're strictly obligated to do anything in that regard, though it's certainly good if they do and probably a good idea.

/ramble

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There should be a poll. just how self-riteous and self-absorbed is UB. A ton, a lot, too much or who is UB, I must have him on ignore.
    This could be as epic as the Best Kegboy poll.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sure its been said, but you probably caught him on a bad day. Sometimes people just aren't in the mood to mingle and joke around.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac_Daddy For This Useful Post:

You want self-righteous, self-absorbed...

Here is the worst fan of player-player interaction I've ever heard...

A guy I know was a HUGE Marshall Faulk fan when he was a kid... After a colts practice he found Marshall's car and waited for him bright-eyed and adoringly... Marshall came out... Told the kid to get the f... away from his car... Got in... Drove off... I can't imagine how tore up he was as a kid meeting his "idol"...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

While I completely see what astrick is saying, I think MunciePacerBabe hit it on the head. He does seem different to me, but it seems like it's a way for him to cope with the environment. Plus I think it is really hard to hear her in a loud arena. Almost every time Paul George gets interviewed he has to ask her to repeat herself. If he's like me, it will take him some time to process what she just said, and that's when people start "falling back" into their comfort zone conversations like canned, "we gotta step it up" statements or, in Roy's case, some goofy, off-the-top-of-his-head ramblings. Did you also notice he said "I think I'm repeating myself"? He was just trying to come up with something to say to fill the void.
    BTW, I think Roy was also a LOT more comfortable being interviewed by Stacy Paetz. She was always able to get the best out of him.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post

A guy I know was a HUGE Marshall Faulk fan when he was a kid... After a colts practice he found Marshall's car and waited for him bright-eyed and adoringly... Marshall came out... Told the kid to get the f... away from his car... Got in... Drove off... I can't imagine how tore up he was as a kid meeting his "idol"...
    Ouch! That's pretty rough. But finding a dudes car and waiting for him there is pretty creepy. How did he know it was his car? How old was he? Was he alone? I was a huge Faulk fan as a kid too, and I hate to think he did this.

One thing left out of this conversation I've seen with some of the horseshoes. Sounds silly but... these guys have wives/girlfriends who have no problem letting a player know not to get too friendly with females in general and this can include lady journalists or hosts. I'm not kidding when I say a player may be famous enough to have many lady friends but if he is hitched his partner can and will make things difficult if she thinks the conversation had too much spark.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post

Honestly. When I read that I think it is rude for someone to wait for an athlete at their car. Does seem a little creepy.

If I leave work here and see anyone, some kid or a grown man waiting by my car, I might say something like Marshall did or call the police.

I blame the kid's parents.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Athlete-fan interactions have to toe such a careful line. I generally try to treat them like anyone else (which is AS CREEPY AS POSSIBLE), I hang at Mo's a lot before and after games as people on here know, so I bump into the players there after the game. Generally unless it happens naturally like I would with any other human being, I don't really interact with them too much. I don't like it too much when random people I don't know come up and try strike a convo with me, and I especially don't like it when I feel like it is forced up on me by the situation.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    You summed up my thoughts and emotions on the OP perfectly.

Also, since everyone else seems to be ignoring the elephant in the room (Thread) - the word is righteous not riteous. Before you call someone out or imply that they are something so spurious, please at least do a quick spell-check.

This encounter where Roy Hibbert allegedly blew you and your kids off reminds me of my only real world encounter with Reggie Miller.

Reggie Miller once straight up ignored me when he came to the movie theater I worked at. Of course I did yell, "Hey, Reggie!" at the top of my lungs in a crowded theater lobby. He hurriedly walked to his movie without even turning his head. My best friend at the time who was working with me had a field day with that. He laughed so hard he nearly pee'd himself. This was the day after game 3 in that incredible Playoffs series against the Knicks in 1994. I was a huge Reggie Miller fan. I remember going to see his first home preseason game and he became an instant favorite. I was embarrased when he ignored but but it never changed my view of Reggie Miller. The man was trying to get to the movie before being mobbed by fans for autographs.

Reggie wasn't there to see me just like Roy wasn't there to see you. We might know a lot about these players but they don't know us. If they have time on their hands and are prepared to welcome fans they are usually very friendly and accomodating. If they have something else on their mind or their agenda they might brush past us to do what they need to do. No one should begrudge them for that. Just be happy you got to see him live and in the flesh. That's something the majority of Pacers fans never will get to experience.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Athlete-fan interactions have to toe such a careful line. I generally try to treat them like anyone else (which is AS CREEPY AS POSSIBLE), I hang at Mo's a lot before and after games as people on here know, so I bump into the players there after the game. Generally unless it happens naturally like I would with any other human being, I don't really interact with them too much. I don't like it too much when random people I don't know come up and try strike a convo with me, and I especially don't like it when I feel like it is forced up on me by the situation.
    40 year old men standing in line alone to get their Slam Magazine autographed, "To Big Mike, my #1 Fan... Love Hibbs" is flippin CREEPY to me, followed by 60 year old man with an individual action photo of every player on the team, darn near close in awkwardness... 5 year old on 5'8 dads shoulders to get an eye-level photo with his favorite player on the planet, (Who up until that moment had questioned whether or not Danny Granger was a "really-real" person) is quite low on the CREEP scale, I would think!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    You summed up my thoughts and emotions on the OP perfectly.

Also, since everyone else seems to be ignoring the elephant in the room (Thread) - the word is righteous not riteous. Before you call someone out or imply that they are something so spurious, please at least do a quick spell-check.

This encounter where Roy Hibbert allegedly blew you and your kids off reminds me of my only real world encounter with Reggie Miller.

Reggie Miller once straight up ignored me when he came to the movie theater I worked at. Of course I did yell, "Hey, Reggie!" at the top of my lungs in a crowded theater lobby. He hurriedly walked to his movie without even turning his head. My best friend at the time who was working with me had a field day with that. He laughed so hard he nearly pee'd himself. This was the day after game 3 in that incredible Playoffs series against the Knicks in 1994. I was a huge Reggie Miller fan. I remember going to see his first home preseason game and he became an instant favorite. I was embarrased when he ignored but but it never changed my view of Reggie Miller. The man was trying to get to the movie before being mobbed by fans for autographs.

Reggie wasn't there to see me just like Roy wasn't there to see you. We might know a lot about these players but they don't know us. If they have time on their hands and are prepared to welcome fans they are usually very friendly and accomodating. If they have something else on their mind or their agenda they might brush past us to do what they need to do. No one should begrudge them for that. Just be happy you got to see him live and in the flesh. That's something the majority of Pacers fans never will get to experience.
    Thanks for going spell-check card on me... You really put me in my place, pot... that's accommodating

Mood

On second thought, you may be right. Maybe it didn't really happen. Or maybe I made it all up... And yeah, I can see how you can compare an unprofessional movie theater worker, going 15 year old Justin Bieber fan; to a 5 year old getting walked past, without acknowledgement, (did I spell that right?) as he is yelling "Big Roy!!" Granted, he didn't stop for anyone, which is why we gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Mood

Big Roy.JPGGranger.JPG

These photos depict an alleged incident that occured last year...

I know that it "appears" as though we were facing Roy and my son "May Have" been calling out to him, but it may not have happened the way I remember...

Again, I feel very fortunate that we lucked into this opportunity. I DO NOT believe that pro athletes should have to sign autographs. I'm SURE now that Roy is an awesome guy and he probably was not feeling up to it that night. Glad to hear all of the positive responses about him today! Go Pacers!!! and GO BIG ROY!!

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

Since signing his new contract Roy Hibbert burns puppies to stay warm. Sometimes he burns baby kittens too but only after he uses them to practice his hook shot (could explain his hook shot issues this season).
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by *astrisk* View Post
    LOL Just Noticed Roy is getting the BIDNEZZ by that arena security guard... "Was that a Chili-cheese Dog, or Nachos, Mr. Hibbert?"

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Granger was awesome with us in Sacto, he got into the spirit and we all had some laughs I think. Even when he accidentally ran into us up in the concourse way after the game.

I think for all athletes they are navigating a field of strangers, some of whom are most definitely just freaking weird human beings. I'm sure some of you recall our Houston experience 2 years ago where the dude brought a full sized, framed painting of Tyler to the game. The security didn't even know what to do about it because they'd never seen something like that.

So as a player you have to constantly decide "is this a crazy painting stalker or just some friendly person that enjoys following the team". So you likely develop a wall of non-interaction as a safety barrier. You see all the guys react a lot more friendly with people they've already "vetted".

You know who surprised me was Sam Young who gave my buddy and I an unprovoked wave down in the BLR when he was coming out in one of the first games. Not returning our wave, but just giving a friendly "hey there" wave of his own. I have to say that went a long way in cementing my view of him as a good guy, but you have to be a person that is open that way.

If I were an athlete I'd be terrible about not interacting with "strangers". It's not for everyone.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    If anything this thread at least brought to the fore (if that was even needed) how great a person Roy is.
    The dude graduated Georgetown, and because of this and Hudnut, I really really want Roy to run for Mayor in 20 years. It's just sitting there waiting to be knocked out of the park.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MnvrChvy View Post
    Ouch! That's pretty rough. But finding a dudes car and waiting for him there is pretty creepy. How did he know it was his car? How old was he? Was he alone? I was a huge Faulk fan as a kid too, and I hate to think he did this.
    I think he and his Dad had some special passes and were told by staff where he could find him for an autograph... The guy is 26 or 27 now... I would think he was in middle school around the time Marshall was here... Maybe younger?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by *astrisk* View Post
    On second thought, you may be right. Maybe it didn't really happen. Or maybe I made it all up... And yeah, I can see how you can compare an unprofessional movie theater worker, going 15 year old Justin Bieber fan; to a 5 year old getting walked past, without acknowledgement, (did I spell that right?) as he is yelling "Big Roy!!" Granted, he didn't stop for anyone, which is why we gave him the benefit of the doubt.
    I was 17 years old thank you very much!

You didn't give any details in the OP as to what happened so I hope you understand why I used the word "allegedly". But now that you put a little meat on the bones of your encounter with Roy, it's almost exactly like my Reggie story. Reggie wasn't stopping for nobody he was on a mission to get in that theater as quickly as possible. Roy looks like he's ready to get his invasive cavity search over with and get on the bus as quickly as possible.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Mood

I was 17 years old thank you very much!

You didn't give any details in the OP as to what happened so I hope you understand why I used the word "allegedly". But now that you put a little meat on the bones of your encounter with Roy, it's almost exactly like my Reggie story. Reggie wasn't stopping for nobody he was on a mission to get in that theater as quickly as possible. Roy looks like he's ready to get his invasive cavity search over with and get on the bus as quickly as possible.
    I probably wouldn't have wanted to talk to anybody after being groped by Mr. B from security Gate B, either!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Honestly. When I read that I think it is rude for someone to wait for an athlete at their car. Does seem a little creepy.

If I leave work here and see anyone, some kid or a grown man waiting by my car, I might say something like Marshall did or call the police.

I blame the kid's parents.
    If it were a mob of people I'ld understand... But a little kid and his Dad (a clean cut friendly looking doctor) wearing your jersey and oozing with excitement... I see no need for that reaction... A simple "Sorry... No time for autographs" would be all that was necessary...

Telling a kid to f... off is extreme under just about any circumstance IMO... Unless he's doing something malicious I see no need for that reaction...

And I already stated it in another post but I believe event staff told them the best place to find Marshall...

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I'm sure some of you recall our Houston experience 2 years ago where the dude brought a full sized, framed painting of Tyler to the game. The security didn't even know what to do about it because they'd never seen something like that.
    OMG OMG. That is hilarious and yes kinda creepy.
    Honestly cannot stop laughing just imagining the scene. Hahahahaha.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah, I'll just say I vehemently disagree and leave it there.

The "A Hibbert always pays his debts" is a play on a line from the TV show Game Of Thrones, which I'm sure Hibbert watches since he watches everything.
    This makes bibliophiles and fans of chronological order alike sad.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

41. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We should 'asterisk' this thread.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post: