Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roy Hibbert- self-riteous, self-absorbed?

Hybrid View

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Roy Hibbert- self-riteous, self-absorbed?

I know we have a lot of Area 55 and G2ers on PD, so I will probably get killed over this. But what is the deal with Roy's pompous demeanor during interviews?

I had the luck last year to sit near Danny's aunt in New Orleans last season (unknowingly). And upon her seeing my son and I were huge fans of the Pacers, she gave us her passes to go back and meet with the whole team for pictures and autographs. The experience was amazing as we got to mingle with the guys for about 30 minutes got great photos, an autographed ball and they were all so much fun! All except Roy...

Until that night I had thought Roy was a fun-loving and relatively grounded personality who was beginning to make a name for himself. And I just knew this guy wouldn't be affected by the hype and new fame/ impending all-star birth. Basically, he blew us off. We were disappointed but I chalked it up to maybe he was tired or under the weather...

The more I've seen him the more I have wondered if maybe I had him pegged wrong. When he gives interviews postgame, he spends the whole time spouting cliche after cliche, trying to sound like he's "the man", all uppety and full of himself! Like even when he said " A Hibbert always pays his debts" it sounded if he was auditioning for something!

I am really not trying to sound like the jilted stalker fan here! I really think its funny more than anything and I just laugh at my TV when he gets asked a question by Brooke and goes into Stevie Wonder mode staring off into the sea of his adoring fans at Bobcat stadium, while barely acknowledging her! But I don't know? He just comes off as a guy who reached a level he wanted to get to and his goofy and aloof personality and demeanor is getting in his way of reaching that next tier...

Anyone else notice this? And of I'm wrong, I'm cool with that. But, I am usually pretty good at reading people.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Roy Hibbert- self-riteous, self-absorbed?

Yeah...you're gonna have to give me more than he "blew us off" for me to go off of here because Roy has offered to take fans out for movies on twitter multiple times and has actually followed through on it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah...you're gonna have to give me more than he "blew us off" for me to go off of here because Roy has offered to take fans out for movies on twitter multiple times and has actually followed through on it.
    Probably films that he starred in though. Egomaniac. Like when he wants to do a flashmob he can make his fanboys run to his call. Who is more out of control, Roy with his ego or Tyler with his refusal to give high fives.

This freaking team sucks, so many crappy personalities. And what's with Pendy being so over the top during the pregame huddle? And why does Danny insist on walking to the scorers table at timeouts? And did Boomer get some botox done?

I really don't think I even know this team anymore.*

*wait, I think I meant fanbase, not team.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Are you just trolling us? Did you really just say Hibbert is acting all "uppety"? That's very incendiary talk man.

If you aren't, imagine having to please hero worshiping douche bags scrutinizing your every word, look and even body language. Looking for any sign of flawed character in off the cuff statements, spontaneous interviews, or even the slight shake of the head after a bad play. Yea, I'd probably ignore the majority of these "fans" as well.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

His demeanor during interviews always make me think he's self-conscious, and not too comfortable...but he knows the camera and attention come with the job, so he's creating this Big Roy persona to deal with it.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

9. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Mirror Mirror on the wall, who's the greatest of them all!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Yeah, I'll just say I vehemently disagree and leave it there.

The "A Hibbert always pays his debts" is a play on a line from the TV show Game Of Thrones, which I'm sure Hibbert watches since he watches everything.

12. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

The "A Hibbert always pays his debts" is a play on a line from the TV show Game Of Thrones, which I'm sure Hibbert watches since he watches everything.
    But this makes him a jerky Lannister. Son of a...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    He must be the ******* Lannister as he doesn't have blond hair.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    The Lannisters are misunderstood. A family full of graciousness and warm in their heart...
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We should 'asterisk' this thread.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

This makes bibliophiles and fans of chronological order alike sad.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

20. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Good points Beast. The benefit of fame or wealth is that you get to set the cultural tone and societal norms.

On a total sidebar from this, think about the music industry. The only artists that will survive are the ones who get some level of patronage. Celebrate how you stole all those songs and then mourn the fact that the artists you like will now go "out of business" while the crap that you hate lives on because some non-stealing idiot is buying it by the truckload. Artists needs patrons, either a single source or a paying fanbase.

So if I'm rich I can decide (more than most people) which bands make it, which films get made, which writers won't starve...it's a pretty powerful position. Culture isn't free. And a famous athlete can set the tone of what people see as good, bad, normal or weird. Lebron can put on a pair of Beats and suddenly their sales take off.

They may not be better than us, but stars and the ultra-wealthy are "super citizens".

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This makes bibliophiles and fans of chronological order alike sad.
    True, but I'll admit I haven't read them yet and didn't think about it till you brought it up.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

If Roy's actually a pompous jerk then, wow, he's really, really good at hiding it.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by *astrisk* View Post
    I am really not trying to sound like the jilted stalker fan here! .
    Yeah, too late.

The uppity thing makes me think you only want a flamewar.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I did Area 55 the first two seasons, and got to meet Roy and hangout with him many of times. I can honestly say that he has to be the most genuine, and friendly player I've ever met.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:

Roy has not only got to be one of the nicest players I've Met, but one of the nicest human beings I've met. He has done so much for me. Flew me up from Australia to watch him play for a whole season. Bought me all-star tickets in Orlando last year. Met up with me n had lunch. After lunch I had to catch a flight to Miami. I was standing about to grab a taxi, Roy insisted I let him take me. Roy drove back downtown to pick up my luggage and Then dropped me at the airport on his day off. Unbeliavble.

Also this season when I was in L.A. to watch pacers, before the game he heard I was sitting courtside so he ran from one side of the court to the other just to say hi to me and get a photo. So in conclusion Roy is the best most friendly pacer player there is.

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

29. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to granger33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by granger33 View Post
    Roy has not only got to be one of the nicest players I've Met, but one of the nicest human beings I've met. He has done so much for me. Flew me up from Australia to watch him play for a whole season. Bought me all-star tickets in Orlando last year. Met up with me n had lunch. After lunch I had to catch a flight to Miami. I was standing about to grab a taxi, Roy insisted I let him take me. Roy drove back downtown to pick up my luggage and Then dropped me at the airport on his day off. Unbeliavble.

Also this season when I was in L.A. to watch pacers, before the game he heard I was sitting courtside so he ran from one side of the court to the other just to say hi to me and get a photo. So in conclusion Roy is the best most friendly pacer player there is.
    I hope this doesn't sound snarky, don't mean it to, but who are you?

Quote Originally Posted by granger33 View Post

Really cool story, thanks for sharing.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Granted, this was during a fan function But Roy was ultra nice & accommodating to me and my wife. Answered questions and took a photo with us. I don't know him outside of Pacer functions but the guy always seemed engaged with fans. Maybe you just caught him on a "bad day".
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Granted, this was during a fan function But Roy was ultra nice & accommodating to me and my wife. Answered questions and took a photo with us. I don't know him outside of Pacer functions but the guy always seemed engaged with fans. Maybe you just caught him on a "bad day".
    Thanks Roamin I appreciate your comment. That definately makes me feel better about him. I always thought that was likely true.

I will say that while I do not agree with the posters stance on Roy as a person....I must agree on his post game interviews being trite with cliches and his demeanor to me during the interviews is a bit off-putting as well. I have always liked Roy he quickly became one of my favorite players as I loved his energy and emotion on the court after big blocks or hustle plays, not to mention what he has done for the fan base with his Area 55. However, the high emotion goofy Roy that you see on the bench or during big plays is replaced by a very serious and some what self-absorbing personality while he gives his in game or post game interviews. I am not going to hold it against him or anything, but I do at least agree with the original posters stance on his interviews. They are so cliche filled and his demeanor during interviews is so opposite of what you think of Roy; that his interviews are actually kind of hard for me to watch and are fairly annoying to me.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to VideoVandal For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by VideoVandal View Post
    I will say that while I do not agree with the posters stance on Roy as a person....I must agree on his post game interviews being trite with cliches and his demeanor to me during the interviews is a bit off-putting as well. I have always liked Roy he quickly became one of my favorite players as I loved his energy and emotion on the court after big blocks or hustle plays, not to mention what he has done for the fan base with his Area 55. However, the high emotion goofy Roy that you see on the bench or during big plays is replaced by a very serious and some what self-absorbing personality while he gives his in game or post game interviews. I am not going to hold it against him or anything, but I do at least agree with the original posters stance on his interviews. They are so cliche filled and his demeanor during interviews is so opposite of what you think of Roy; that his interviews are actually kind of hard for me to watch and are fairly annoying to me.
    Thanks Videovandal. That is exactly how I feel about what I see on TV. Glad to know it is likely a facade!

Mood

I posted the thread as a question, and figured it would be taken harshly because I used harsh language to describe an "impression" or "vibe". No where did I try to pass anything as fact besides my own experience. (Which I believe I gave him the benefit of the doubt). I am glad to hear that I was probably off. As a father two young kids, you want to raise them to be selective about their role models, many of which fail to step up to the plate. I always hear the positive things that he does for the area 55 guys. But you wonder how much is genuine. And honestly I moved away from Indy years ago.

Again, so many people pass final judgements without having any experience whatsoever. You would think that my not doing that would be appreciated by this board.

As for the part about how it effects his play. If the first part is false than the second is moot.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

I think his comments after games are a combination of dry silliness and standard, typical answers. Nothing to read into.

41. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post: