Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best player at every age in the NBA

Default Best player at every age in the NBA

I know it is from bleacher report, but it is just a fun little article and we even have a couple of guys on it who made the cut.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...age-in-the-nba
    Last edited by pacers74; 03-31-2013 at 03:24 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

Well I totally disagree with their pick at age 34. I think Dirk, now fully healthy, is clearly a better player than Kobe at this stage of their careers. I didn't see any other major problems with this list, but Bleacher Report is for losers.
    Last edited by spreedom; 03-31-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Man, it's scary how young Harden (23) and Durant (24) are.

Dirk better than Kobe? Nah.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

If you think about it, if it wasn't for Danny's injury we could easily have 3 players on that list, and Hibbert isn't far behind for his age group.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well I totally disagree with their pick at age 34. I think Dirk, now fully healthy, is clearly a better player than Kobe at this stage of their careers. I didn't see any other major problems with this list, but Bleacher Report is for losers.
    I am sorry, no way to I agree though. Kobe is still a top 5 player in the league today. I am not too sure about Dirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    If you think about it, if it wasn't for Danny's injury we could easily have 3 players on that list, and Hibbert isn't far behind for his age group.
    I was thinking the same thing when I saw the list.

That photo they use for West makes him look like the scary mofo he is

i feel sorry for the other teams that have to face up to that

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I am sorry, no way to I agree though. Kobe is still a top 5 player in the league today. I am not too sure about Dirk.
    Disgaree with that. If Kobe played like he did last night (actively busting his *** to get his teammates involved) every night, I'd agree... but 9 games out of 10 he's a 43% gunner putting up 27 shots a night and playing almost no defense whatsoever. Dirk is dragging one of the worst rosters in the West to the cusp of the playoffs and has been the best offensive player in the league since the All Star break.

His stats since the ASG: 19.3/8.3/2.3 on 53%/48%/94% shooting, with less than 2 TOs per game. The Mavs are 13-8 in the stretch.

And seriously... name the second best player on the Mavericks. Kobe has at least 3 team mates better than whoever the #2 guy is on Dallas.
    Last edited by spreedom; 03-31-2013 at 05:43 PM.

How often have those three teammates of Kobe's been healthy this year?

Seriously, if you were picking sides and it came down to Dirk and Kobe... gotta go with Kobe everytime.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    How often have those three teammates of Kobe's been healthy this year?

Seriously, if you were picking sides and it came down to Dirk and Kobe... gotta go with Kobe everytime.
    Based on what? Seriously, make a case. Seriously, I'd love to hear you make a case for Kobe besides "KOBE! RINGS!"

Dwight at 80% (or whatever he's been for most of this year) is still head and shoulders above any of the junk on the Dallas roster. Gasol in his current condition has been better too. I'd say Earl Clark has even been better than anyone on Dallas, save for early-season OJ Mayo (whose game has plummeted down to earth since the new year).

And if I was picking who has had a better career, or who has more cred among casual fans, I'd pick Kobe... but Dirk, right now, is just a much, much better player. There's no comparison.

Mood

Based on what? Seriously, make a case. Seriously, I'd love to hear you make a case for Kobe besides "KOBE! RINGS!"

Dwight at 80% (or whatever he's been for most of this year) is still head and shoulders above any of the junk on the Dallas roster. Gasol in his current condition has been better too. I'd say Earl Clark has even been better than anyone on Dallas, save for early-season OJ Mayo (whose game has plummeted down to earth since the new year).

And if I was picking who has had a better career, or who has more cred among casual fans, I'd pick Kobe... but Dirk, right now, is just a much, much better player. There's no comparison.
    Umm sure, here is a case for Kobe, he is better.

I am not sure how this is really debatable, look at Kobe's numbers. Dirk is a great shooter, no doubt, but Kobe is averaging 5.9 assists per game, which means he is making plays for others, as well as scoring very efficiently this season (.464 fg% and 27 ppg)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    That photo they use for West makes him look like the scary mofo he is

i feel sorry for the other teams that have to face up to that
    brings back memories of Donatello

My main issue with this is list is David Lee over Chris Bosh. Then a semi-issue with Brad Beal over Drummond. But Beal has been tremendous lately so fine i guess.

i don't know about Kobe-Dirk. The fact is that whoever made the list clearly took recent health into account. Dirk hasn't been healthy. So, fair enough.
    Last edited by hackashaq; 03-31-2013 at 06:55 PM. Reason: i mean David Lee of course..

Mood

I don't want to sign up can someone post the players that made it at each age?

Quote Originally Posted by BearBugs View Post
    I don't want to sign up can someone post the players that made it at each age?
    why would you have to sign up? i'm not signed up. just click on the arrow thingies and browse.

This is a comical statement, lol

Mood

I also have to go with Kobe. Numbers aside, I've seen kobe will his team to at least five different victories this season. However you may feel about his style of play or attitude or whatever he has still done this with a huge amount of turmoil and pressure. The media eats LA alive, whether they deserve it or not.

I've seen Dirk do it twice. Both fantastic players with fantastic mismatchs but Kobe is still the mamba. Dirk still has some faults I don't want but Kobe still plays like a top 3 2guard but Dirk is not a top 3 C/PF or whatever he plays. He's just the ultimate mismatch.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

~Ahmad Rashad~

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am not sure how this is really debatable, look at Kobe's numbers. Dirk is a great shooter, no doubt, but Kobe is averaging 5.9 assists per game, which means he is making plays for others, as well as scoring very efficiently this season (.464 fg% and 27 ppg)

He's also second in the league in turnovers. Stephon Marbury averaged almost 8APG for his career and I'd argue that he didn't make a single teammate better along the way. Kobe does a lot of things well and in a very high volume, but he's one of the least efficient volume scorers in league history and shoots his team out of as many games as he wins for them. I understand that his career achievements far outweigh Dirk's, but if you actually watch both guys play it's clear which one makes his teammates better and which one doesn't.

There's no reason the Lakers shouldn't be in contention for the #1 seed in the West this year, injuries or no injuries. I love Kobe, but to me his stubbornness and awful (at times) play at both ends of the floor are the two biggest reasons why they aren't. I'm glad he's on my fantasy team but I don't think he's in my top 10 or even top 15 overall players right now.

Mood

He's also second in the league in turnovers. Stephon Marbury averaged almost 8APG for his career and I'd argue that he didn't make a single teammate better along the way. Kobe does a lot of things well and in a very high volume, but he's one of the least efficient volume scorers in league history and shoots his team out of as many games as he wins for them. I understand that his career achievements far outweigh Dirk's, but if you actually watch both guys play it's clear which one makes his teammates better and which one doesn't.

There's no reason the Lakers shouldn't be in contention for the #1 seed in the West this year, injuries or no injuries. I love Kobe, but to me his stubbornness and awful (at times) play at both ends of the floor are the two biggest reasons why they aren't. I'm glad he's on my fantasy team but I don't think he's in my top 10 or even top 15 overall players right now.
    And I am going to bow out of any legitimate conversation with you. Kobe averages 3.7 turnovers per game and 5.9 assists which is not a terrible ratio, especially considering how much he handles the ball.

The fact you are comparing Kobe to Marbury, and saying how inefficient he is, despite all the statistics saying otherwise just shows you have your mind made up and other people, statistics and reality will just not get in the way of your incorrect opinion.

Good day sir.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Citing the assist statistic on its own is just useless. Dirk's A/TO ratio is nearly identical. Again, it's just Kobe doing his high-volume act while not noticeably elevating the play of his teammates. Meanwhile Dirk is starting next to Mike James and Brendan Wright, and is right in the thick of the playoff race.

This.

I'd love to put this (silly) question to a panel of basketball experts and see how it plays out.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We may disagree about who the experts are, but it was pretty mixed among the most educated folks that I saw on twitter. Just got asked a couple of nights ago.

We may disagree about who the experts are, but it was pretty mixed among the most educated folks that I saw on twitter. Just got asked a couple of nights ago.
    Yep, we would probably disagree about most aspects of this question. I can respect your opinion even if I disagree, though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I respect yours as well, disagree with it as I might.

I think Kobe and Dirk is a lot closer then most people think. Lately Dirk has been basically dominant (did anybody catch him vs Chicago?), Kobe's definitely impressed this season, but his team defense could make elementary basketball coaches cringe.

I'd give the edge to Kobe because Nowitzki only started this pace after the All-Star break, Kobe has probably been more consistent. Both have been incredibly impressive though.