Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Best player at every age in the NBA

  1. #1
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,292

    Default Best player at every age in the NBA

    I know it is from bleacher report, but it is just a fun little article and we even have a couple of guys on it who made the cut.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...age-in-the-nba
    Last edited by pacers74; 03-31-2013 at 03:24 AM.

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,580

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    Well I totally disagree with their pick at age 34. I think Dirk, now fully healthy, is clearly a better player than Kobe at this stage of their careers. I didn't see any other major problems with this list, but Bleacher Report is for losers.
    Last edited by spreedom; 03-31-2013 at 09:17 AM.

  4. #3
    CA Pacer Fan A-Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,281

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    Man, it's scary how young Harden (23) and Durant (24) are.

    Dirk better than Kobe? Nah.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,143

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    If you think about it, if it wasn't for Danny's injury we could easily have 3 players on that list, and Hibbert isn't far behind for his age group.

  7. #5
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,735
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well I totally disagree with their pick at age 34. I think Dirk, now fully healthy, is clearly a better player than Kobe at this stage of their careers. I didn't see any other major problems with this list, but Bleacher Report is for losers.
    I am sorry, no way to I agree though. Kobe is still a top 5 player in the league today. I am not too sure about Dirk.

  8. #6
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,292

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you think about it, if it wasn't for Danny's injury we could easily have 3 players on that list, and Hibbert isn't far behind for his age group.
    I was thinking the same thing when I saw the list.

  9. #7
    Go Paytherth! rel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,821

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    That photo they use for West makes him look like the scary mofo he is

    i feel sorry for the other teams that have to face up to that

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,580

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am sorry, no way to I agree though. Kobe is still a top 5 player in the league today. I am not too sure about Dirk.
    Disgaree with that. If Kobe played like he did last night (actively busting his *** to get his teammates involved) every night, I'd agree... but 9 games out of 10 he's a 43% gunner putting up 27 shots a night and playing almost no defense whatsoever. Dirk is dragging one of the worst rosters in the West to the cusp of the playoffs and has been the best offensive player in the league since the All Star break.

    His stats since the ASG: 19.3/8.3/2.3 on 53%/48%/94% shooting, with less than 2 TOs per game. The Mavs are 13-8 in the stretch.

    And seriously... name the second best player on the Mavericks. Kobe has at least 3 team mates better than whoever the #2 guy is on Dallas.
    Last edited by spreedom; 03-31-2013 at 05:43 PM.

  12. #9
    CA Pacer Fan A-Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,281

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    How often have those three teammates of Kobe's been healthy this year?

    Seriously, if you were picking sides and it came down to Dirk and Kobe... gotta go with Kobe everytime.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,580

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How often have those three teammates of Kobe's been healthy this year?

    Seriously, if you were picking sides and it came down to Dirk and Kobe... gotta go with Kobe everytime.
    Based on what? Seriously, make a case. Seriously, I'd love to hear you make a case for Kobe besides "KOBE! RINGS!"

    Dwight at 80% (or whatever he's been for most of this year) is still head and shoulders above any of the junk on the Dallas roster. Gasol in his current condition has been better too. I'd say Earl Clark has even been better than anyone on Dallas, save for early-season OJ Mayo (whose game has plummeted down to earth since the new year).

    And if I was picking who has had a better career, or who has more cred among casual fans, I'd pick Kobe... but Dirk, right now, is just a much, much better player. There's no comparison.

  15. #11
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,735
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Based on what? Seriously, make a case. Seriously, I'd love to hear you make a case for Kobe besides "KOBE! RINGS!"

    Dwight at 80% (or whatever he's been for most of this year) is still head and shoulders above any of the junk on the Dallas roster. Gasol in his current condition has been better too. I'd say Earl Clark has even been better than anyone on Dallas, save for early-season OJ Mayo (whose game has plummeted down to earth since the new year).

    And if I was picking who has had a better career, or who has more cred among casual fans, I'd pick Kobe... but Dirk, right now, is just a much, much better player. There's no comparison.
    Umm sure, here is a case for Kobe, he is better.

    I am not sure how this is really debatable, look at Kobe's numbers. Dirk is a great shooter, no doubt, but Kobe is averaging 5.9 assists per game, which means he is making plays for others, as well as scoring very efficiently this season (.464 fg% and 27 ppg)

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:


  17. #12

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That photo they use for West makes him look like the scary mofo he is

    i feel sorry for the other teams that have to face up to that
    brings back memories of Donatello


  18. #13

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    My main issue with this is list is David Lee over Chris Bosh. Then a semi-issue with Brad Beal over Drummond. But Beal has been tremendous lately so fine i guess.

    i don't know about Kobe-Dirk. The fact is that whoever made the list clearly took recent health into account. Dirk hasn't been healthy. So, fair enough.
    Last edited by hackashaq; 03-31-2013 at 06:55 PM. Reason: i mean David Lee of course..

  19. #14
    Member BearBugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    67
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    I don't want to sign up can someone post the players that made it at each age?

  20. #15

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by BearBugs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't want to sign up can someone post the players that made it at each age?
    why would you have to sign up? i'm not signed up. just click on the arrow thingies and browse.

  21. #16

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Based on what? Seriously, make a case. Seriously, I'd love to hear you make a case for Kobe besides "KOBE! RINGS!"

    Dwight at 80% (or whatever he's been for most of this year) is still head and shoulders above any of the junk on the Dallas roster. Gasol in his current condition has been better too. I'd say Earl Clark has even been better than anyone on Dallas, save for early-season OJ Mayo (whose game has plummeted down to earth since the new year).

    And if I was picking who has had a better career, or who has more cred among casual fans, I'd pick Kobe... but Dirk, right now, is just a much, much better player. There's no comparison.

    This is a comical statement, lol

  22. #17
    Member Mr.Hinds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    270
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    I also have to go with Kobe. Numbers aside, I've seen kobe will his team to at least five different victories this season. However you may feel about his style of play or attitude or whatever he has still done this with a huge amount of turmoil and pressure. The media eats LA alive, whether they deserve it or not.

    I've seen Dirk do it twice. Both fantastic players with fantastic mismatchs but Kobe is still the mamba. Dirk still has some faults I don't want but Kobe still plays like a top 3 2guard but Dirk is not a top 3 C/PF or whatever he plays. He's just the ultimate mismatch.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

    ~Ahmad Rashad~

  23. #18
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,580

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Umm sure, here is a case for Kobe, he is better.

    I am not sure how this is really debatable, look at Kobe's numbers. Dirk is a great shooter, no doubt, but Kobe is averaging 5.9 assists per game, which means he is making plays for others, as well as scoring very efficiently this season (.464 fg% and 27 ppg)

    He's also second in the league in turnovers. Stephon Marbury averaged almost 8APG for his career and I'd argue that he didn't make a single teammate better along the way. Kobe does a lot of things well and in a very high volume, but he's one of the least efficient volume scorers in league history and shoots his team out of as many games as he wins for them. I understand that his career achievements far outweigh Dirk's, but if you actually watch both guys play it's clear which one makes his teammates better and which one doesn't.

    There's no reason the Lakers shouldn't be in contention for the #1 seed in the West this year, injuries or no injuries. I love Kobe, but to me his stubbornness and awful (at times) play at both ends of the floor are the two biggest reasons why they aren't. I'm glad he's on my fantasy team but I don't think he's in my top 10 or even top 15 overall players right now.

  24. #19
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,735
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's also second in the league in turnovers. Stephon Marbury averaged almost 8APG for his career and I'd argue that he didn't make a single teammate better along the way. Kobe does a lot of things well and in a very high volume, but he's one of the least efficient volume scorers in league history and shoots his team out of as many games as he wins for them. I understand that his career achievements far outweigh Dirk's, but if you actually watch both guys play it's clear which one makes his teammates better and which one doesn't.

    There's no reason the Lakers shouldn't be in contention for the #1 seed in the West this year, injuries or no injuries. I love Kobe, but to me his stubbornness and awful (at times) play at both ends of the floor are the two biggest reasons why they aren't. I'm glad he's on my fantasy team but I don't think he's in my top 10 or even top 15 overall players right now.
    And I am going to bow out of any legitimate conversation with you. Kobe averages 3.7 turnovers per game and 5.9 assists which is not a terrible ratio, especially considering how much he handles the ball.

    The fact you are comparing Kobe to Marbury, and saying how inefficient he is, despite all the statistics saying otherwise just shows you have your mind made up and other people, statistics and reality will just not get in the way of your incorrect opinion.

    Good day sir.

  25. #20
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,580

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    Citing the assist statistic on its own is just useless. Dirk's A/TO ratio is nearly identical. Again, it's just Kobe doing his high-volume act while not noticeably elevating the play of his teammates. Meanwhile Dirk is starting next to Mike James and Brendan Wright, and is right in the thick of the playoff race.

  26. #21
    CA Pacer Fan A-Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,281

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Umm sure, here is a case for Kobe, he is better.
    This.

    I'd love to put this (silly) question to a panel of basketball experts and see how it plays out.

  27. #22
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,580

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    We may disagree about who the experts are, but it was pretty mixed among the most educated folks that I saw on twitter. Just got asked a couple of nights ago.

  28. #23
    CA Pacer Fan A-Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,281

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We may disagree about who the experts are, but it was pretty mixed among the most educated folks that I saw on twitter. Just got asked a couple of nights ago.
    Yep, we would probably disagree about most aspects of this question. I can respect your opinion even if I disagree, though.

  29. #24
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,580

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    I respect yours as well, disagree with it as I might.

  30. #25

    Default Re: Best player at every age in the NBA

    I think Kobe and Dirk is a lot closer then most people think. Lately Dirk has been basically dominant (did anybody catch him vs Chicago?), Kobe's definitely impressed this season, but his team defense could make elementary basketball coaches cringe.

    I'd give the edge to Kobe because Nowitzki only started this pace after the All-Star break, Kobe has probably been more consistent. Both have been incredibly impressive though.

Similar Threads

  1. Who Is Our Third Best Player?
    By AesopRockOn in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 01-14-2012, 01:50 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-27-2010, 09:37 PM
  3. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 10:59 PM
  4. Ever met an NBA player?
    By pacercoltfan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 11:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •