Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Road Warriors

Default Odd Thoughts: Road Warriors

I canít deny it guys, today is bittersweet for me.

To say the news that Danny Granger is going to have season ending (and letís be honest career altering at the least probably) surgery took its toll on me. I have never once hidden the fact that I am an unashamed fan of Danny Granger and to know that he spent his entire career with us which was filled with some of the worst times in our teams history only to be injured and unable to play and contribute when the team is finally ready to move forward is unfair to say the least.

My biggest fear is that this will either be the end for him or it will be so altering that he will never be even close again and people who are just now coming along for the ride will never know that we truly had both a great player and an even better person on our team.

But not only as a Granger fan am I hurting but Iím not going to lie as a Pacers fan this is even more devastating. I know it was unreasonable, especially when we did see him play, but I still held out hope that he would at least be able to be the crafty veteran off of the bench who could still get his points and help the team.

But now, well now I am just hoping and praying that our starting five can physically stand playing almost 40 min. a game in the playoffs. I know we have won the last two games but believe me it was largely on the backs of the starters.

I am sorry for stating this off on such a bitter note but I canít just lie and pretend that Dannyís departure doesnít touch me on a deep level.

However as a Granger fan it really now is time to officially do what really occurred earlier in the season and that is to pass the baton to Paul George and place all of our hopes and dreams into him. It never made sense to me when people felt the need to bash Danny to elevate Paul, they both are great players and Paul now without a doubt is the anchor of our team from here forward. So I wish nothing but absolute success and hope that Paul stays a career Pacer and ends with his jersey in the rafters.

Okay letís move onto tonightís game.

This simply is a matter of a soft jump shooting team not having one of those nights where everything drops meeting up with a physical buzz saw of a defensive team. Honestly if it wasnít for Dirk hitting shots in the first half and old man Carter doing what he always does whenever he sees the Pacers the half time lead would have been more reflective of the ending score than the tied game it was.

There is no doubt that our players were defending and rebounding and attacking the paint at a high level but letís be honest some of this is simply the fact that the Mavericks are both old & soft.

I did laugh though during the game because Rick Carlisle may have changed a lot of things since he has been gone but the one thing he is pretty consistent about is that whenever a team makes an initial run of two unopposed baskets he still calls time outs. That is until the team just runs so many uncontested baskets he eventually gives up which is what occurred during this game.

BTW, exactly who was so important to keep on the Mavericks roster that they decided to let Chandler walk? I mean I get if they felt the need to keep Dirk but anybody else should have been dumped or whatever could have been done to make room to keep him, he was the only physical presence they had.

Iím just going to address this right now so we wonít dwell on it. I know I need to be the bigger person but I canít help myself I nearly pee myself with glee every time I see Jim OíBrien have to sit there and hold a clip board and not be able to arrogantly walk the sidelines like he has a clue to what he is doing. I know that Rick is in charge but I swear to God there really are just some areaís that no matter what position he holds that OíBrien just seems to suck the life out of from a team.

I mean we are a great rebounding team and they are soft but come on are we really 21 rebounds better than them? Well I guess so. Now to be fair to Satan one of the big gripes I ever had with Carlisle was the fact that he just refuses to emphasize offensive rebounding and between the two of them they have the Mavericks convinced that as a team having fewer rebounds than Tyler Hansbrough and Roy Hibbert combined is a good thing. Well it is a good thing, a good thing for us.

Could there be any more of a contrast of actual coaching ability between Vogel & Satan than tonight.

When he left we were soft, boring, disorganized and most importantly of all losing. In fact during Satanís entire reign here we never had a winning season and I believe that we only had one winning month and that was the year that he decided to ďtankĒ but his version of tanking actually meant playing players who were young and athletic so it back fired on him.

Now here we are just a few years removed from his evil presence and look where we are and how we play. I would be willing to say itís because we have better players and we do but Frank changed that team from his first day there and we havenít looked back sense.

I know Roy enjoys doing well against him and donít think that Tyler has forgotten for a min. that the last game OíBrien coached our team that he was inactive so that James Posey could play for his 17 min of uselessness.

Anyway I only do this twice a year so you will have to indulge me on this. In ending my rant against the unholy one I invite him to eat yellow snow.

As to the team were just going to do some bulletpoints tonight.

ē Paul George was great, really a very nice come back game for him because lately he has been less than stellar overall. Not bad mind you but just not that great and certainly that is not we need as a team.
    ē Roy Hibbert is playing with an edge and I like it. Since the all-star break he has played better, since the Golden State game he has played much better and since arriving in Texas he has been Royzilla.
    ē Damn Tyler Hansbrough. Just when I felt comfortable giving up on him he goes and has this series of games where he has never played this well this consistently for his entire career. The fact he is scoring of course helps everything but I have been just astounded with his defense and rebounding during this time. Not only did he not get embarrassed by Dirk tonight, during two possessions he guarded him as well as anyone possibly could. At this point I just hope we donít see him go back to just getting 8 min. a game other than times when West just has it going.
    ē D.J. Augustine has made me actually appreciate the time that Darren Collison spent here.
    ē Can anyone actually verify that Orlando Johnson is actually a rookie? I swear he does not play like one, just no fear or hesitation at all. If he is this good now how good will he be in a couple of years?
    ē George Hill just quietly kills teams. I know Iím not a huge fan of this stat but even I am impressed by his +/- for this game.
    ē The fact that Lance didnít get to the free throw line tonight is just proof to me that these refs were letting a lot of stuff go and well frankly they just missed a lot. He was killed at least 3 times driving and never got to the line. It was fun though to watch him bother Mayo though on defense because he is every bit as big and probably a little stronger than O.J. is.

Needless to say going two and zero on the Texas two step is outstanding and is just a testament to how good our team can be when they focus on defense and try and get most of the points in the paint.

Now onto Phoenix to try and get three in a row on the road, which btw would be outstanding.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Road Warriors

Great win again
    This is the version of Roy I want to see more. Dominant is the first word that comes to my mind.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From watching OJs videos from college before the season started I thought he had a chance to be something special for a second round pick. I fully believe he has the ability to be a starter in a few years.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It may be a bit premature to say this, but i could see us letting lance walk at theendof next season if oj keeps up his progression.he'd be a cheaper option, and could be just as good, if not better.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I echo your thoughts about Granger. I too was pretty devastated when I heard about the news.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    • Can anyone actually verify that Orlando Johnson is actually a rookie? I swear he does not play like one, just no fear or hesitation at all. If he is this good now how good will he be in a couple of years?
    He's already 24, Peck. We all know that someone his age can't get better.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    It may be a bit premature to say this, but i could see us letting lance walk at theendof next season if oj keeps up his progression.he'd be a cheaper option, and could be just as good, if not better.
    I like OJ more than most, but I like Lance more than OJ. Lance gets so many easy buckets by pushing the ball, he's just invaluable.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    Isn't Lance three years younger than OJ? I'm pretty sure he's got just as much room for growth, and he's already a starter!

I'd make sure you have both these players locked up for a couple years.
    Danger Zone

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    Isn't Lance three years younger than OJ? I'm pretty sure he's got just as much room for growth, and he's already a starter!

I'd make sure you have both these players locked up for a couple years.
    Three years younger, but also two more years of NBA experience. Age isn't the only deciding factor, NBA experience is a huge factor in improvement of players. I would say it is more important in the growth of a player their first 2 or 3 seasons in the NBA than age.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Something has been really wrong with lance over the past month or two. I know he had a good game against the rockets but overall he has been a shell of his normal self. I think it is starting to get to him as well becuase his body language is starting to change. It may just be that his legs are fried and he cant lift on his shot but he looks nothing like the player we could count on earlier in the year.

To be out on the floor with this starting 5 we really need his defense and a 40% 3pt shot, without it it almost makes him a liability because teams are starting to sag and make life harder on PG. His uptempo drive is still there and just as good as ever but his shooting touch has really went gerald greenish quickly.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

Peck, there was a quote from Carlisle that I read yesterday from the Dallas Morning News, saying how rare the pacers are to be the 5th best offensive rebounding team and yet the best team in the NBA at not allowing fastbreak points.

Mavs not re-signing Chandler has to be one of the alltime worst decisions. They have no interior defense to speak of. I loved the start of the second half when the Mavs fouled Roy what seemed like 4 straight possessions

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That was a great game. The refs in the first half really had me upset but I'm proud of the way the team responded. Instead of pouting they came back from halftime determined to take the fight to the Mavs and once their level of physicality increased, the Mavs folded like a cheap lawn chair.

Peck regarding why the Mavs let Chandler go, it was because they wanted enough capspace to go after Deron Williams and Dwight Howard. They thought Dwight was going to opt out of his deal last summer. It backfired this season but Cuban wasn't afraid to take a risk and he really was just concerned with fielding a decent Playoffs caliber team until free agency this summer. It's the reason they only signed OJ Mayo (player option for 1 more season), Brand, and Kaman to 1-year deals. Most of their team is on the last year of their deals so they can rebuild on the fly this summer.

Even if they miss out on Dwight this summer, I'm sure they could get Al Jefferson and re-sign Mayo to a long term deal.

This was a good performance from the Pacers. I was hoping that they wouldn't have a big emotional let down after learning that Danny was going to have season ending surgery. It was also the 2nd night of a back-to-back. I wouldn't have been upset if they lost. However they put on one of the best second half performances of the season. To beat a team by 25 points in their arena is incredible no matter the opponent. The fact that they did it against the Mavs, a team that had been playing well in March, and after the bad news and tough game against the Rockets was astounding!
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Three years younger, but also two more years of NBA experience. Age isn't the only deciding factor, NBA experience is a huge factor in improvement of players. I would say it is more important in the growth of a player their first 2 or 3 seasons in the NBA than age.
    This is the first season of play by Lance too. I want to keep them both, I would love to see OJ be a great weapon off of the bench.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After we clinch, and just for fun, I'd like to see OJ start over Lance. Just one game. I want to see what he can do with the starters in with him.

Mood

Sports Logo

Really enjoyed watching this game even if the Pacers made the Mavs look old and raggedy
    by comparison. Sadly those old veterans like Marion and Carter just don't have the legs to
    keep up with the youngsters any more.

Also liked how seemingly the farther the game progressed, the more Hansbrough went nuts
    on them. Just got the feeling he might have seen Obie sitting over there and got some
    extra motivation to ratchet up the intensity. Would like to see this more often.

Very nice road wins...onward to Phoenix!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Royzilla
    Love the ROYZILLA reference! esp if anyone remembers the Gorilla dance he did earlier in the season vs the heat.

Go Pacers!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

For all that Collison seemed to give us problems when he was on offense, whenever we were smart enough to take advantage of his tendency to travel three states away to avoid a screen we were able to capitalize on our end. Every time I saw DC head to Austin to get around the pick I remembered why some of those hairs on my head were missing.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    Something has been really wrong with lance over the past month or two.
    I don't know that he has done anything but lost a little control on the floor. His confidence went up so he doesn't play as well within the flow and far too often rushes shots, outruns the ball he's dribbling, or forgets there are other players on the floor he could pass to ion a 2-on-1 or 3-on-1 break.

He needs to remember what got him to this point and come back to earth a little. He's not as single-handed a weapon as he sometimes thinks he is.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Peck, there was a quote from Carlisle that I read yesterday from the Dallas Morning News, saying how rare the pacers are to be the 5th best offensive rebounding team and yet the best team in the NBA at not allowing fastbreak points.
    Am I missing something here, or is Carlisle missing something here? An opponent would have a hard time running fast breaks if the Pacers are rebounding their own misses. Seems pretty simple, and hardly rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Am I missing something here, or is Carlisle missing something here? An opponent would have a hard time running fast breaks if the Pacers are rebounding their own misses. Seems pretty simple, and hardly rare.
    The point is most of the best transition defensive teams don't send players to the offensive boards to rebound, they sprint back. pacers are able to do both. That does put a lot of pressure on us to not make mistakes and we rarely do.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    To be so good at offensive rebounding means you aren't sending guys back on defense as soon as a shot goes off. Even at 5th best you aren't rebounding ALL the misses, so this means that the Pacers are finding the right balance between going after offensive rebounds and putting players in the right place to disrupt the fast break.

It is more astonishing when you realize the Pacers defense hasn't been focused on offensive rebounding for something like 20 years, including time under Carlisle.
    BillS

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

I don't see any reason why we won't keep Lance and Orlando around for years to come. May the best man start.

35. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

As far as Lance's performance drop it could be he is getting a bit worn out from going basically no meaning playing time to full time starter is a big jump. His body may just becoming fatigued by the season, and he needs a bit of rest.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

BTW, exactly who was so important to keep on the Mavericks roster that they decided to let Chandler walk? I mean I get if they felt the need to keep Dirk but anybody else should have been dumped or whatever could have been done to make room to keep him, he was the only physical presence they had.

Anytime you can breakup a championship team that lost three combined games against the Lakers, Thunder, and Heat, you have to do it.

I understand that the Mavs were a very old team, but blowing it up immediately after the championship so that they could make a failed run at Deron Williams has proven to be a bad move. If I were Dirk, I'd be upset that the last years of my career were being spent on a team with a poorly constructed roster.

I like Cuban, and he has obviously been a tremendous owner for the Mavericks. But he has made two terrible decisions over the last decade:

1) He declined to match the Suns' six year $63 million offer to Steve Nash, and instead chose to give Erick freaking Dampier a seven year $75 million dollar deal. What if Dirk and Nash had kept playing together throughout the 2000's?

2) He dismantled a championship team that steamrolled the Lakers, Thunder, and Heat, all so he could make a failed run at Deron Williams.

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Dallas let Chandler go to free up cap space to make a run at Deron Williams or Dwight Howard. Unfortunately, they got neither, so it looks terrible.

billbradley

ē Damn Tyler Hansbrough. Just when I felt comfortable giving up on him he goes and has this series of games where he has never played this well this consistently for his entire career.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    ē D.J. Augustine has made me actually appreciate the time that Darren Collison spent here.
    It's funny that Collison reportedly didn't want to backup G.Hill, then goes on to back up ol' man Fish and Mike James...

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post: