Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arians thread

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Arians thread

Figured I'd start an Arians thread to track where he might go. I really hope we manage to keep this guy somehow, sort of like how the Pacers were able to keep Brian Shaw after he had so much external interest.

Arians appeared to be getting the most interest from the Chargers. SD just announced that they hired Mike McCoy as head coach, which takes them off the table for Arians. Possible a good sign he stays?
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Default Re: Arians thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Figured I'd start an Arians thread to track where he might go. I really hope we manage to keep this guy somehow, sort of like how the Pacers were able to keep Brian Shaw after he had so much external interest.

Arians appeared to be getting the most interest from the Chargers. SD just announced that they hired Mike McCoy as head coach, which takes them off the table for Arians. Possible a good sign he stays?
    He's got a second interview with the Bears, along with Trestman (rumored favorite) and the Seattle OC. Looks like he isn't under consideration with the Eagles any longer.

I haven't heard him connected to the Jags or Cardinals, but there are only these 4 openings left.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the Bears don't hire him then I'm confident he stays.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He is a finalist for the Bears job he is interviewing with the owners this week. Only 3 finalist narrowed from like 20 people who interviewed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As long as he doesn't come back to Pittsburgh if Haley gets the Cardinals job. Ben will definitely be campaigning for Bruce, but at this stage Bruce Arians is not good for Ben's career.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    As long as he doesn't come back to Pittsburgh if Haley gets the Cardinals job. Ben will definitely be campaigning for Bruce, but at this stage Bruce Arians is not good for Ben's career.
    Not sure if he would go back there J. It seems like they left on bad terms and I doubt Irsay would be out spent for his own OC.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Why would he want to go back to an organization that kicked him out a year ago and take the exact same job that he has in Indy? Plus working with a shinny new toy in Luck is likely a more desirable job than going to a non-playoff team and working with a QB in Ben who likely won't get that much better at this stage of his career.

The Steelers' decision to kick Arians out looks pretty questionable right now. The Steelers missed the playoffs and Ben seems like he can't stand Haley, while Arians went 9-3 and made the playoffs with a rookie quarterback. There's a reason Ben was ticked about Arians' getting canned.

Yes, but that reason was because Arians dismantled the running game, which did not sit well with Rooney.

Tomlin was planning to bring him back last offseason, and subject Ben to even more physical abuse before Rooney put his foot down.

The offense was considerably better this year through Week #9. Through nine weeks, both our total defense and total offense were in the top-five. Now, our record was poor because of the tunover differential, but the offense was significantly improved even though we still weren't running the ball well.

Oh yeah, at that point in time Ben took a hit that dislocated a rib above his heart, which was a very significant medical risk (the NFL needs to outlaw all hits to the chest if they're really concerned about player safety!) and our backup QBs stunk and then Ben wasn't really the same when he did come back. No velocity on the ball, especially those misthrown interceptions at the end of the Dallas and Bungles games. So over the last seven weeks, there's no doubt it, our offense was not impressive under any of our QBs.

I don't think Haley is going anywhere, and he should get at least a full offseason to improve the offense (vs. starting over with somebody else to implement a new offense) before judgment is reached. Because when Ben was healthy, things were going well.

There are plenty of mixed rumors for whether Ben and Haley are getting along. But the main reason they wouldn't be getting along is that Ben and Arians are BFFs off the field. That wasn't been a healthy working relationship in the latter years of Arian's tenure. If the Rooney's extended an olive branch (and look at the various coaches and players that have returned to Pittsburgh after a short "absence") and Ben/ Tomlin were asking him to come back I think he would consider it.

Bruce Arians is tremedous at developing young QBs. But he's not a very good play-caller.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not entirely sure Pitt got the Arians thing right anyway. They didn't like him. Arians is proving he's better than what they pegged him for. They didn't even make the playoffs, and the OC they kicked to the curb stepped up as interim for an 11-5 team that far exceeded expectations.

Sort of like when Indy fans hated Fangio, and now he's DC for one of the best defenses in teh league. Obviously Indy wasn't using him right. Sometimes teams just don't get it right. I don't believe for a minute that Arians isn't a good resource for a team to have.

Besides... he really is an Indy man. I know he went to Pitt for a few years, but I always consider him the guy who mentor'd Manning. Glad he's back home.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 01-15-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bruce Arians is tremedous at developing young QBs. But he's not a very good play-caller.
    Some plays he called this season were head scratching too.
    Want him to stay with Luck though cause they already have 1 season together under their belt and changing coordinators is not the best thing for a young QB imo.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

I generally agree. But...

Not entirely sure Pitt got the Arians thing right anyway. They didn't like him.
    ... you could say that everybody but Dan Rooney really liked him. Tomlin, Ben, the WRs, etc.

Arians is proving he's better than what they pegged him for.
    Let's see if you still feel that way in a couple of seasons. I like his player development, but his play calling... 4 wide and an empty backfield on third and 1? That little confidence in your running game? Really!?!? The number of times we used an empty backfield formation on third-and-short is the exact reason he's gone.

They didn't even make the playoffs, and the OC they kicked to the curb stepped up as interim for an 11-5 team that far exceeded expectations.
    We missed 78 starter-games to injury this year. We had an MVP-caliber QB through 9 games that missed three starts and was not the same after his return. The two former DPOY starters on our defense combined to miss 12+ games. We had a revolving door at RB, RT, and CB because of injury. Our defense led the league in yards against but merely forced punts and couldn't get sacks or turnovers. I don't think any of that had to do with replacing Arians with Haley. Through the first nine games, we were leading the league in third-down conversion rates on offense (in other words, no empty backfields on third-and-short. Even if we did pass the ball, at least it was conceivable that we might run!! Gasp.) We just weren't a playoff caliber team this year. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

Besides... he really is an Indy man. I know he went to Pitt for a few years, but I always consider him the guy who mentor'd Manning. Glad he's back home.
    If "for a few years", you meant "almost a decade", then okay. When he was previously your QB coach, he didn't call plays. When he went to Cleveland as OC, he was fired for his play calling. Then we hired him as a WR coach, not a QB coach. Then Wiz went to Steelers West and he got promoted to play-caller. And that got him fired again. Almost got him two years ago. He promised Dan that the Steelers would be better at "running the ball when they needed to." And then he completely abandoned the run again.

I've got nothing but good things to say about his player development skills. But his play calling... not so good.

ESPN says the Bears hired Trestman. They also say Arians didn't make the final three.

The Bears were believed to have narrowed their search to three candidates: Trestman, Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and and Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley.
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story...man-head-coach

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Some plays he called this season were head scratching too.
    Want him to stay with Luck though cause they already have 1 season together under their belt and changing coordinators is not the best thing for a young QB imo.
    That's where I'm at. I want to keep him because he builds up young QBs well and shuffling OCs in and out is obviously bad for a QB. But I don't want him long term, say 3 years maybe.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd say with SD and Chicago no longer in the running, there's a good chance he stays. And even if he doesn't work out in the long-run for his play-calling, I see nothing wrong with letting him develop Luck a few years. And at that point where Luck needs to go to the next level, we bring in someone else.

ESPN is reporting the Eagles are hiring Chip Kelly from Oregon.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88...eagles-sources
    Last edited by Strummer; 01-16-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Mood

We hired the guy from the CFL known as a offensive guru. I am skeptical he did dominate in Canada but why is he 57 and now only getting his chance? I guess the same thing can be said about BA too he is 60. I really want to like this guy but only time will tell rumor was he was the finalisy and even the favorite for the Colts job last year before they picked Chuck.

At least BA wont be calling plays for us I hate his play calling I hope this guy is a good play caller rumor is he will be the play caller and that is his strong suit.

This hire reminds me of Mike McCarthy getting the gig in GB I remember everyone grilled GB because they hired some no named guy over the hot names. I just hope it turns out as well as it did there.

EDIT: so from reading on the guy seems like his QBS love him but Jerry Rice and Tim Brown though he was a joke back in the 90s. Seems like his strength is protecting the QB with his schemes. His WRs didnt like him because he had them run a lot of slants and inside the #s routes.

Rice was just on ESPN1000 and said he liked him but was frustrated he didn't get as many touches as he should have. Typical WR diva stuff with how much Marshall and Cutler connect will be interested to see how he likes the coach mid season. But Marshall loves to block and do all the little things so maybe wont be as diva ish as Rice and Brown

But doing what he did with Rich Gannon is impressive IMO who has a similar skill set to Jay in terms of mobility. The West Coast offense will be interesting for sure what makes me excited is how he turned Ron Garnder into a near pro bowl talent. Matt Forte has to be the happiest guy. As long as the defense is still Ron's and we have this guru calling plays I will be happy go from one of the worst play callers in football Mike Tice to one of the best according to scouts they even compared him to the Hooded one Belichick.

But Marshall is use to getting beat up with slants and playing in the middle of the field. I like him for the offense with that said we need a good TE. I wanted Dwyane Allen so bad last year in the draft I wanted him in the 1st rd when the process started still cant believe he went in the 3rd. The Colts have a stud TE for a long time great value by the Colts on that one.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-16-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    ESPN is reporting the Eagles are hiring Chip Kelly from Oregon.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88...eagles-sources
    wow college football is a dirty dirty sport especially all the coaches no ethics.

this isn't as bad as Saban walking out on his team and Petrino just leaving like the Colts bolted from Baltimore not telling anyone but it's close.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-16-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Let's see if you still feel that way in a couple of seasons. I like his player development, but his play calling... 4 wide and an empty backfield on third and 1? That little confidence in your running game? Really!?!? The number of times we used an empty backfield formation on third-and-short is the exact reason he's gone.
    If an opportunity to run arose. Luck is a better option to get a yard than any of our running backs. We did pretty good on third downs btw.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    wow college football is a dirty dirty sport especially all the coaches no ethics.

this isn't as bad as Saban walking out on his team and Petrino just leaving like the Colts bolted from Baltimore not telling anyone but it's close.
    Would be nice when someone refers to this story they tell the whole story. The Colts didn't decide just to screw over Baltimore and its fans.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

25. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Mood

Jeff Dickerson ‏@ESPNChiBears
    Heard Bruce Arians made a strong push last night before Trestman got the job. Arians went down swinging. #Bears.
    Retweeted by Jeremy Stoltz

dude even met with Cutler he really wanted the job

Rumor is the Cards offered him the job , and with how much he wants to be a HC would be really hard to see him turning it down if true.

I'm not surprised he campaigned hard for the Chicago job. That's a good job. It's a large market with a lot of media attention and a big fan base. Plus he would have had a very talented quarterback.

His play calling might be questionable, but I'd rather have a guy who filled in for a sick coach and went 9-3 with a rookie quarterback over some CFL no-name.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-16-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So, just because he worked in Canada, he's a no-name? Personally I think it's much better having worked there and also have a huge experience in the NFL as an OC and a coach than having no experience at all in the NFL and getting a job like a certain dude yesterday who got the Eagles job.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    So, just because he worked in Canada, he's a no-name? Personally I think it's much better having worked there and also have a huge experience in the NFL as an OC and a coach than having no experience at all in the NFL and getting a job like a certain dude yesterday who got the Eagles job.

I wasn't meaning to insult the CFL or Canada. Maybe this guy will work out just fine for the Bears. But Arians actually coached an NFL team for 75% of the season last year and went 9-3. This was in place of a sick coach and with a rookie quarterback. Clearly he got guys to buy into what he was selling. I'd put a lot of stock in that if I were making the decision, but I didn't do the interviewing. He's worked with Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, and Andrew Luck. I would also like that if I were looking for a coach who I hoped could get more out of Jay Cutler.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks for the clarification. It's all about opportunities and how much trust you give to these guys to lead your team. Don't know if the new Bears GM wasn't impressed at all by Arians in the interview or the exact opposite with Trestman or how much the interview itself plays the biggest role but for some reason they couldn't see Arians as the best fit.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jacksonville just filled their HC vacancy, so that only leaves Arizona as the only team left with a HC vacancy. They apparently have a lot of interest in Arians. So we'll see.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post: