Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can the pacers really contend for the title? - Grantland Story

Default Re: Can the pacers really contend for the title? - Grantland Story

If Danny comes back at 100%, then we will be a really hard out.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool Re: Can the pacers really contend for the title? - Grantland Story

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cuz that's worked so well for Carmelo in the past...

I don't care about the past. Melo is an MVP candidate this year and they can throw a lot at the Pacers in the last five minutes.

I didnt read the article, but I think the Pacers need a little bit of help from the PG position, and for Roy to develop a more consistent shot. I think the East is more up for grabs this year given the Heat's inability to grab a rebound- and Chicago not having Rose. The Knicks are tough- but so are the Ps- That series would be a toss up, and I believe the Ps would win that series.

If Rose comes back strong, I think they might have a leg up on the rest of the East as the teams currently look. Perhaps we'll be active and make a trade.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Darren35 View Post
    I didnt read the article, but I think the Pacers need a little bit of help from the PG position, and for Roy to develop a more consistent shot. I think the East is more up for grabs this year given the Heat's inability to grab a rebound- and Chicago not having Rose. The Knicks are tough- but so are the Ps- That series would be a toss up, and I believe the Ps would win that series.

If Rose comes back strong, I think they might have a leg up on the rest of the East as the teams currently look. Perhaps we'll be active and make a trade.

Rose will be back soon, perhaps in the next week.....

Mood

Fantastic piece. Really sheds some light on Vogel's strategic mind and gives fans more opportunity to spot when players aren't properly executing the system (as opposed to assuming that there is no system or that the system is the mistake).

It makes me a more informed observer and I really like that. Much more of a peek into our team than that horrible NBA TV training camp show was.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Mood

I suggest reading the article. It's the best thing I've seen written about the Pacers all year in terms of basketball insight/analysis.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

That's a BIG if..if there ever was one. He wasn't a Rondo or CP3, who made his teamates better VIA passing the ball. He also wasn't a superior jump shooter either D.Rose was a player that relied heavily on hops, speed, quickness, change of direction, and the ability to stop on a dime and go up strong. He NEEDS to be able to come back and have the ability to do those things if he wants to be as good as he was. ACL injuries for basketball players are no joke. No it's not the end of the world (look at Al Harrington, Nene, Willie Green and our very own D.West) and he could easily end up being just as good.

But for a player who was great because his athleticism was unmatched at the PG position, it'll be interesting to see. Unlike say an Adrian Peterson, D. Rose is going to have to be able to jump multiple times in a game, sometimes multiple times in a row. That's a lot of pressure on that joint, especially for a balls to the wall type of penetrating PG like D.Rose.

I'm sure he's been working on his shooting a lot more to help compensate for his loss of athleticism; but If he comes back at even 80% of what he was athletically, idk if he's still a superstar player. It will be very interesting.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Fascinating line:

The Pacers' 23-15 record, and their recovery from a 5-7 start in the wake of Danny Granger's knee injury, is about defense.
    That means that the Pacers went 5-7 in the first 12 games, and 18-8 since then. That's strong.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I dont think Hibbert's defense has been as strong of late. If he is able to get his head in the right direction and play like he did last season when he wasn't in his slumps, we are a great team. That said, the East doesn't really have anyone I would really want to play in the first round of the playoffs. If we stay in this range (1-4), I think we play someone like Atlanta (who just owns us), Boston, or Chicago. All those teams scare me.

That said, I do not expect D Rose to make a huge impact on the Bulls this year. Just like at Rubio, he has been back awhile and is still barely playing back to backs in limited minutes. The Bulls are not true contenders this year IMO.

I think the next step with this team is an ECF appearance. I think all the posters here would be happy with that. A first round exit would certainly be disappointing. I know the season is half over, but it is still too early to tell if we will be true contenders. Granger's return will help us define what our team will be like come playoff time. Also, I want to see if we are finally able to beat East Playoff Teams on the Road (1-7 to this point.)

Sorry for the rambling post, just wanted to address several points.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Fascinating line:

That means that the Pacers went 5-7 in the first 12 games, and 18-8 since then. That's strong.
    Even better we started 3-6 then went 20-9

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Also, this is insightful:

It's true Indiana has played the league's easiest schedule so far in terms of opponent winning percentage, and that it will get more difficult going forward, but let's not overstate things. Any good Eastern Conference team will have an easy schedule by this measure, since they don't have to play themselves, and their own division will feature so many bad teams. The schedule makers also helped Indiana by including Boston, Brooklyn, and Miami among the four Eastern Conference teams the Pacers will play only three times. As for out-of-conference games, Indy has already played the Spurs twice, and the Grizzlies, Thunder, Lakers, and Warriors once each. Their second-half schedule is a bit harder than what they've faced so far, but not dramatically so; they've also played three more road games than home games.
    Last edited by Anthem; 01-15-2013 at 04:56 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    That's a BIG if..if there ever was one. He wasn't a Rondo or CP3, who made his teamates better VIA passing the ball. He also wasn't a superior jump shooter either D.Rose was a player that relied heavily on hops, speed, quickness, change of direction, and the ability to stop on a dime and go up strong. He NEEDS to be able to come back and have the ability to do those things if he wants to be as good as he was. ACL injuries for basketball players are no joke. No it's not the end of the world (look at Al Harrington, Nene, Willie Green and our very own D.West) and he could easily end up being just as good.

But for a player who was great because his athleticism was unmatched at the PG position, it'll be interesting to see. Unlike say an Adrian Peterson, D. Rose is going to have to be able to jump multiple times in a game, sometimes multiple times in a row. That's a lot of pressure on that joint, especially for a balls to the wall type of penetrating PG like D.Rose.

I'm sure he's been working on his shooting a lot more to help compensate for his loss of athleticism; but If he comes back at even 80% of what he was athletically, idk if he's still a superstar player. It will be very interesting.
    Why? Is it a bigger "if" than Danny coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I'd say yes as far as impact goes, since Rose's game is largely predicated on athleticism, and an ACL that isn't 100% will hurt his game a lot, whereas Danny's is more of an "old man game". He could always just space the floor for the Pacers and shoot 3s if his knee wasn't 100%.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to iogyhufi For This Useful Post:

Because Rose's injury is a frequent and well known lengthy rehab.
    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alabama-Redneck For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck View Post
    Because Rose's injury is a frequent and well known lengthy rehab.
    Apparently not much longer than Granger's rehab. There is also the age difference. Youth heals faster and more completely. I would not be surprised to see a Danny back who has lost a step he probably can't afford to lose...
    Last edited by OlBlu; 01-15-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    A hardest question to answer last year, IMHO, was who was going to take the shot. Now I don't think there's any question that DWest is going to get the ball if the Pacers need a score.

Whether or not he can hit the shot, or make the right play in the playoffs is still a question mark, but he's done just about everything to show he's atleast the right man to find out.
    Granger, to me...hasn't been as clutch, ice-cold in the veins or as much of a BAMF as GH and West has been.

I've said this before....if I had a choice between getting a late game score....my 1st choice would be a tie between GH and West ( depending on whose hot and matchups ) and then the 2nd choice would be a tie between Granger and PG ( same thing here ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Apparently not muxh lponger than Granger's rehab. There is also he age difference. Youth heals faster and more completely. I would not be surprised to see a Danny back who has lost a step he probably can't afford to lose...
    They're different injuries though.

I won't be surprised if Derick Rose is never Derick Rose again. It'll take another year for his athleticism to return, and who knows about his mental state.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Apparently not muxh lponger than Granger's rehab. There is also he age difference. Youth heals faster and more completely. I would not be surprised to see a Danny back who has lost a step he probably can't afford to lose...
    Unless you are really in the know....regardless of age....I'm not going to assume that Granger has or has not "lost a step"....there is no way for us to know that this is the case....at least before he has stepped back onto the court and is playing again.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Derrick Rose is 24 and Danny Granger is 29. Rose depends heavily on his athletic ability while Granger has had articles written about him not depending on athletic ability to score and play his game. I can't wait for the Bulls to blow past us in the East when Rose comes back as you put it.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

28. The Following User Says Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    Derrick Rose is 24 and Danny Granger is 29. Rose depends heavily on his athletic ability while Granger has had articles written about him not depending on athletic ability to score and play his game. I can't wait for the Bulls to blow past us in the East when Rose comes back as you put it.
    That is exactly what I believe will happen....

Mood

They are built around seeing lots of players get minutes. When the rotation tightens in the playoffs, the superstars rule.....
    Since we rely on a great bench... Our starters as a group are elite, and Danny GH PG and DW are going to be playing 38+ mpg in the PO's if healthy.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    Since we rely on a great bench... Our starters as a group are elite, and Danny GH PG and DW are going to be playing 38+ mpg in the PO's if healthy.
    Yes, as a group. But in the last seven or eight minutes of the game, Bosh, Wade and LBJ will stop this "elite" group just like they did last year and they will outscore them in crunch time. That is what superstars do and Indy doesn't have any......

Sports Logo

Great article
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, as a group. But in the last seven or eight minutes of the game, Bosh, Wade and LBJ will stop this "elite" group just like they did last year and they will outscore them in crunch time. That is what superstars do and Indy doesn't have any......
    thats what those superstars all did to the Pistons too right?

Sports Logo

But in the last seven or eight minutes of the game, Bosh, Wade and LBJ will stop this "elite" group just like they did last year and they will outscore them in crunch time.
    They didn't last year. They just outscored our bench while the starters were resting.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post: