Thread: Where can I find game stats specifically...

Question Where can I find game stats specifically...

how many shot attempts in the paint for individual games? So I want to know how many shot attempts did the Pacers have compared to the Nets, and what the FGA/FGM, FG%, and Total Points were.

Thanks!
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Default Re: Where can I find game stats specifically...

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers84 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    how many shot attempts in the paint for individual games? So I want to know how many shot attempts did the Pacers have compared to the Nets, and what the FGA/FGM, FG%, and Total Points were.

Thanks!
    http://www.nba.com/games/20130113/IN...s=iref:nbahpgt[0021200551]

There's a link near the bottom on the left that says "Download Game Book". Click on that. It will have what you want.

Pacers scored 30 points in the paint on 15/33 shooting. Nets got 30 also, on 15/44 shooting.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Okay...count55....I have another one.

Where can I find a stat shows how successful a team is when it comes to scoring on each possession.

For example....when a Team brings up the ball....how well are they able to execute and score on that possession without giving up the ball to the other Team?

During the 4th QTR of games....when I look at Teams like the Spurs, the Warriors ( to a certain extent ) and the Rip/Chauncey/Tayshaun/Ben/Sheed Pistons...I knew that there was a very good chance that they would score the ball somehow when they brought the ball up.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Well there is Points per 100 Possessions, but I'm not sure if O-Reb count as a new possession or a continuation of a possession when calculating the stat. If it were me I'd subtract O-Reb from Missed FG to get PP100. Count and JRedd reference the stat all the time so maybe they know the rules applied to calculating it without looking.

Count or Redd will Tweet PP100 by quarters and halves during Pacers games.

Offensive Efficiency = (Points Scored * 100)/(FGA+(0.44*FTA)-ORB+TOV)

Defensive Efficiency is the same, except you use the Opponent's numbers.

There are two formulas in wide usage. This one is simpler, and is used by Hoopdata, Hollinger, and the official NBA Media Stat site.

Basketball reference uses a formula to calculate possessions that is a little more complex, and on average, it generates a couple fewer possessions per game. I never did a side-by-side to see why the effect is what it is, but as long as you're using the same calc across your analysis, it's fine. (It uses .4 instead of .44 on FTAs, and only subtracts 1.07 * the ORB %, which seems overly byzantine to me.)

The 0.44 factor on FTA attempts reflects (a) 2 FTs= 1 FGA and (b) not all FTAs are "new possessions" - for example - And-1s and Technical FTs.

By subtracting ORBs, this one tends to treat a possession as the period of time one team has the ball without letting the opponent have it. Theoretically, you could leave the ORB's in and get a different metric that would mimick "plays" or "sets", but that's basically what True Shooting Percentage (TS%) is.

A lot of people ask why people don't just count possessions. There are reasons that touch on accuracy and subjectivity, but mostly, it's too ****ing tedious. Using a formula allows for consistent comparison without distorting the information you're trying to get.
    Last edited by count55; 01-15-2013 at 11:29 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post: