Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: From a New User: Upgrade at Point Guard Needed!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: From a New User: Upgrade at Point Guard Needed!

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean anybody at any position unless they are huge upgrades, I believe that Hill is going to be an all star for years to come, he has that potential.
    Who would be the list of players you would trade him for?

Sports Logo

For the record, Calderon leads the NBA in assist/turnover ratio.

Next stop June 2015

Factoring in clutch play and defense, I would take Hill over Calderon pretty easily. Also, the idea the Pacers would trade Granger for Calderon is not far removed from trading Granger for Collison. It is pure fantasy on Toronto's part.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I mean anybody at any position unless they are huge upgrades, I believe that Hill is going to be an all star for years to come, he has that potential.
    As I have said before, I believe Hill should be contending for 6th man of the year for years to come. All-Star...no way!
    and again, I hope Hill proves me wrong!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

If you want to compare statistics you can't cherry pick. DJ has had three games that were good, but statistically only slightly better than Hill's average game. I'll worry about Hill's shooting when he doesn't have the second best shooting % on the team for wing and backcourt players.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I had my doubts about Hill as a full time starter at PG at first. Not any more, I'm perfectly happy with Hill at the point for the long haul. Hill's smart, tough, very good defender, a leader and I trust him at the end of games. Looking at stats and only stats does not give you the whole story.

Never cared much for Calderon, certainly would never even remotely think about trading Danny for him.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    As I have said before, I believe Hill should be contending for 6th man of the year for years to come. All-Star...no way!
    and again, I hope Hill proves me wrong!
    Hill would make a great 6th man.

I will agree that he's not the ideal PG and I agree adding Granger isn't going to help ball movement. So, I understand the OP point. But Jose Calderon doesn't make us better. His defense as others have stated is not good and that will not work with West and Hibbert who would find themselves in foul trouble.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Who would be the list of players you would trade him for?
    Chris Paul
    Deron Williams
    Kyrie Irving
    Rondo
    Russel Westbrook
    Curry
    Holiday
    Parker
    Rose
    Lillard

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Hill would make a great 6th man.

I will agree that he's not the ideal PG and I agree adding Granger isn't going to help ball movement. So, I understand the OP point. But Jose Calderon doesn't make us better. His defense as others have stated is not good and that will not work with West and Hibbert who would find themselves in foul trouble.
    I don't want Jose either. Especially not for Danny!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Cool Re: From a New User: Upgrade at Point Guard Needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    Chris Paul
    Deron Williams
    Kyrie Irving
    Rondo
    Russel Westbrook
    Curry
    Holiday
    Parker
    Rose
    Lillard
    I would hope so. Some of those you would have to add PG and a couple of first rounders to get.....

George Hill's doing just fine.
    He's got some learning at the point guard position to do but he also knows that. In fact, he explicitly stated that after the Knicks game - he talked about how he was traditionally a 2 so moving Augustin to play alongside him late in the game made it feel more natural to him.
    That being said, he knows he's being asked to be in the 1 position now and said he's still learning, which I trust he will continue to do.
    For the time being, I'm more than content with him at the 1 and I do think he'll become a better PG.

Remember, he's still got upside and he's really not that old.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i've been rather pleased with Hill this season. And i'm not ready to fully judge him until we get Danny back. The offense is pretty bad right now. We miss Danny, Roy is who knows what. If Roy were playing like he should be, Hill would probably be averaging another 2 more assists a game quite honestly. Roy is just missing a lot of gimmies. Its really hurting the offense, especially with no Granger. Is George Hill gonna be Chris Paul? Nope. Do i think we can get one of those elite point guards? Nope, not without giving up PG. And Calderon isn't enough for me to break up this core. Hill is far superior on the defensive end.

Lets see what happens with the offense when Danny gels back into the rotation and if Roy comes around (big if at this point). Right now GH is the third scorer on the team imo. When Danny comes back he drops to #4. If Hibbert gets it around Hill then becomes the 5th option in the starting unit. I'm really curious to see how that works out and how it would change his play.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    George Hill's doing just fine.
    He's got some learning at the point guard position to do but he also knows that. In fact, he explicitly stated that after the Knicks game - he talked about how he was traditionally a 2 so moving Augustin to play alongside him late in the game made it feel more natural to him.
    That being said, he knows he's being asked to be in the 1 position now and said he's still learning, which I trust he will continue to do.
    For the time being, I'm more than content with him at the 1 and I do think he'll become a better PG.

Remember, he's still got upside and he's really not that old.
    As the team is constructed right now, I totally agree. I wouldn't want to trade a starter to try and improve Hill's position and then just bring Hill off the bench. That doesn't make much sense. However, in the future, I do think that may end up being an option as far as Hill combo off the bench and being 6th man contention. He could play big minutes doing so and it would allow less rotation and possibly better chemistry as a team come playoff time!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    As the team is constructed right now, I totally agree. I wouldn't want to trade a starter to try and improve Hill's position and then just bring Hill off the bench. That doesn't make much sense. However, in the future, I do think that may end up being an option as far as Hill combo off the bench and being 6th man contention. He could play big minutes doing so and it would allow less rotation and possibly better chemistry as a team come playoff time!
    Kind of like a Terry type role? I like the sound of that
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Wow, I like this board's activity.

So many responses, so little time to respond in kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Randolph_HorseLips View Post

The Pacers are 28th in the NBA in team assists. 28th! Only the Cavs and Bobcats are worse. As much as I like this team, the problem I see is that we just may be the worst passing team in the NBA. We have TOO MANY shoot-first players. I'm fine with David West and Paul George taking this role, but when guys like George Hill, Green, and even Hansborough play like passing is never an option, then I fear we have a problem. What is the perhaps the last thing such a team needs? A shoot-first point guard like George Hill.

I like this team at the 4 of the 5 starting positions, but I feel like George Hill gets too much of a pass, perhaps for being a local boy. For the sake of chemistry, I would like to see DJ get the starting job for awhile.

Or how about Danny Granger for Jose Calderon? Would Toronto do it?

We need fewer shooters and better floor generals!!!

1. It's the system. The Pacers have the 2nd lowest offensive efficiency in the NBA. We saw what having a slow offense did to Steve Nash those first few games w/ Mike Brown.
    2. For the sake of chemistry, you'd bench our starting point guard who has helped the team to the #3 spot in the East for a guy shooting 32% (side note: I like Augustin)? That makes no sense.
    3. Granger is worth more than Jose Calderon, and I'm hardly a cheerleader for Granger.
    4. We don't have enough pure shooters. We've got enough guys that can handle the rock now that Lance has proven himself as a starter. This is the void that Granger fills.

I agree with defense but do you really think Hill is in another class than Calderon? I have had a chance to watch the Raptors a little bit and I'd say Calderon is a better floor general than Hill. Positives with the negatives I guess.
    I know what Pop said about Hill. I have also seen how Hill delivers at the end of games. That is enough for me.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Yeah, Calderon's offensive numbers are like the shiny bauble at the bottom of the claw machine. They stand out but at the end of the day his warts on the defensive end just makes him another trinket. I'd fear that we'd get burned constantly at the point of attack. The thought of West and Hibbert scrambling to protect the rim to cover Calderon's man just gives me cold chills. Much rather have Hill's defense than Calderon's offensive numbers. As others have said... For this team, Hill is good enough.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 01-14-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

He's going for three... mikeyism's Avatar

Would not consider it at all, unless we are getting a lottery pick from Toronto.

This is where PER misleads people. Calderon is efficient, not productive, there's a big difference. Jose has a nice FG% and Assist/Turnover ratio which bloats his PER, but that's all he does. He can't create his own shot, and is a speed bump on defense.

He'd be a nice 25 minute guy on a team that can hide him on defense (us), but that's about it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can we please just find a way to acquire an all star player or even better superstar at every position already so everyone would stop finding ways to improve/criticize this team!!!

We need a GM who can make this happen.. theres gotta be someone on Pacers Digest that can do a better job than Larry Bird or Donnie Walsh!!!

I vote Boomer for GM

30. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

How is comparing Jose Calderon to George Hill an insult to Hill? So confused.

Calderon averaging 10.8 points and 8 assists.
    Hill averaging 14.5 points and 5 assists in more minutes.

Im not on either side but just puzzled why Hill is in another league than Calderon when he clearly is not.
    You enjoy our elite defense? Because that goes to **** in a heartbeat if you insert Jose Calderon into the lineup. He can't guard anyone.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Next stop June 2015

Jose Calderon is the "Troy Murphy" of the Point Guard world.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

The league is going away from the pass only point guard for the last few years. I expect this will continue. We are better off with Hill.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

For Jose Calderon??

Really???

I would trade DG for Kyle Lowry straight up.

Lowry is a stud when healthy but he plays so recklessly so he will miss quite a few games due to injuries.

Lowry - Hill - George - West - Hibbert

What a fascinating post. Obviously, I'd hate the idea. Let's take Danny out of the equation for a moment, and just focus on Calderon. Let's say we could swap Calderon for DJ (I know the numbers don't work; just pretend with me).

Does anybody besides the original poster think that Calderon would be in the starting lineup if we made that trade? Seriously, I'd like to hear from you.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post: