Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: From a New User: Upgrade at Point Guard Needed!

Sports Logo

Default From a New User: Upgrade at Point Guard Needed!

I signed on specifically to make my eventual point... but first I'd like to say that I'm pleased to see a reasonably active Indiana Pacers board. I briefly browsed through a few threads and I am encouraged by the activity and substance. I went to pacers.com and was unable to find any MB at all. At ESPN's Pacers board, there appeared to be an average of one post per infinity.

I am a passionate believer that this team needs a traditional pass-first Point Guard, and that George Hill is not the answer for any team that is serious about making a deep playoff run. Is he a nice 6th man, a nice bench scorer? Yes? A starting PG on a team with (hopefully) ambitious aspirations? No.

Among qualified point gaurds, George Hill is 35th in the NBA in assists per 48 minutes. He is 19th in field-goal percentage.

In fact, during the 6-game stretch where DJ Augustin finally got a chance at decent minutes with the starters, he proved to be an upgrade over what George Hill had been doing as a PG.

The Pacers are 28th in the NBA in team assists. 28th! Only the Cavs and Bobcats are worse. As much as I like this team, the problem I see is that we just may be the worst passing team in the NBA. We have TOO MANY shoot-first players. I'm fine with David West and Paul George taking this role, but when guys like George Hill, Green, and even Hansborough operate as if they never realized passing was an option, then I fear we have a problem.

What is the perhaps the last thing such a team needs? A shoot-first point guard like George Hill.

And when Granger get back, add another shoot-first player to the list.

I like this team at the 4 of the 5 starting positions, but I feel like George Hill gets too much of a pass, perhaps for being a local boy. For the sake of chemistry, I would like to see DJ get the starting job for awhile.

Or how about Danny Granger for Jose Calderon? Would Toronto do it?

We need fewer shooters and better floor generals!!!
    Last edited by Randolph_HorseLips; 01-14-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Banned

Default Re: From a New User: Upgrade at Point Guard Needed!

Danny Granger fans going into destroy mode in 3...2...1

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isn't this thread more of a smack at HIll? I mean replacing Hill with Jose Calderon? Talk about an insult.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

I look forward to it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

First of all, welcome to the board. We appreciate everyone's opinion, regardless of how much we agree or disagree.

Speaking of disagree... Any trade proposal thoughts like Granger for Calderon I would strongly disagree with. I think Hill is a perfect compliment to our defensive philosophy and he is the type of facilitator we need with a post-centric offense. I don't think we need an upgrade from Hill, but moreso just more time with a full team to get used to our passing schemes. Our passing schemes aren't predicated on PG initiating. We run a lot of high picks to initiate movement and our PG moves off-ball as much as they run the offense with the ball in their hands. If we had say a Nash or Williams, we would be doing nothing but running pick and roll all day and our PG would have 10 assists per game. Instead Hill is a facilitator of the offense first and looks to score secondarily. This season, he has looked to score more than he ever has in his career out of necessity. Not because that is what we need him to be with our full roster.

Kyrie Irving is one of the best young players in the league and his team has a terrible assist rate. There is a lot of ball dominating isolation on that team, because they have two young solid ball handlers on the perimeter. Very different ideas of basketball being played, yet they have a terrible assist rate as well. We shoot way too many three pointers to have a lot of assists from our guards. We don't penetrate the lane with dribble attacks like other teams do. We need to get our bigs touches as that is one of our biggest strengths of this roster. If you notice our bigs average way more assists than most other bigs outside of teams like Memphis who is also postcentric. Its more of a spread the wealth offense with five guys instead of a "here let our PG dominate the ball and see who gets the other touches from a collapsing defense" ytype of offense. If that made sense.

Once again welcome.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I would replace Hill with Calderon in a heartbeat.

Calderon is #1, I repeat... #1, in the NBA at assist/turnover ratio.

We need more pass-first players.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How is comparing Jose Calderon to George Hill an insult to Hill? So confused.

Calderon averaging 10.8 points and 8 assists.
    Hill averaging 14.5 points and 5 assists in more minutes.

Im not on either side but just puzzled why Hill is in another league than Calderon when he clearly is not.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Randolph_HorseLips View Post
    I signed on specifically to make my eventual point... but first I'd like to say that I'm pleased to see a reasonably active Indiana Pacers board. I briefly browsed through a few threads and I am encouraged by the activity and substance. I went to pacers.com and was unable to find any MB at all. At ESPN's Pacers board, there appeared to be an average of one post per infinity.

I am a passionate believer that this team needs a traditional pass-first Point Guard, and that George Hill is not the answer for any team that is serious about making a deep playoff run. Is he a nice 6th man, a nice bench scorer? Yes? A starting PG on a team with (hopefully) ambitious aspirations? No.

Among qualified point gaurds, George Hill is 35th in the NBA in assists per 48 minutes. He is 19th in field-goal percentage.

In fact, during the 6-game stretch where DJ Augustin finally got a chance at decent minutes with the starters, he proved to be an upgrade over what George Hill had been doing as a PG.

The Pacers are 28th in the NBA in team assists. 28th! Only the Cavs and Bobcats are worse. As much as I like this team, the problem I see is that we just may be the worst passing team in the NBA. We have TOO MANY shoot-first players. I'm fine with David West and George Hill taking this role, but when guys like George Hill, Green, and even Hansborough play like passing is never an option, then I fear we have a problem. What is the perhaps the last thing such a team needs? A shoot-first point guard like George Hill.

I like this team at the 4 of the 5 starting positions, but I feel like George Hill gets too much of a pass, perhaps for being a local boy. For the sake of chemistry, I would like to see DJ get the starting job for awhile.

Also, in regards to our hideous offense, I think we do need more shooters.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post

Im not on either side but just puzzled why Hill is in another league than Calderon when he clearly is not.
    Defense for one. Pedigree for another.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 01-14-2013 at 07:34 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

You just posted offensive numbers. You will find the answer on the other side of the court.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Defense for win. Pedigree for another.
    I agree with defense but do you really think Hill is in another class than Calderon? I have had a chance to watch the Raptors a little bit and I'd say Calderon is a better floor general than Hill. Positives with the negatives I guess.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Isn't this thread more of a smack at HIll? I mean replacing Hill with Jose Calderon? Talk about an insult.
    This.

Banned

I agree with defense but do you really think Hill is in another class than Calderon? I have had a chance to watch the Raptors a little bit and I'd say Calderon is a better floor general than Hill. Positives with the negatives I guess.
    I think their values are equal, I like both players, note that here you are not going to win that war though, Calderon is regarded as garbage around here.

This is an interesting post, because when Collinson was our point guard, I argued nearly the same thing. And I agree that George Hill is not an improvement on Collinson if we are looking solely at assists and passing. Statistically, Calderon does have more assists than George Hill.

HOWEVER, to follow up pacergod2's point, George Hill brings something to our back court that we haven't had since maybe Travis Best / Haywoode Workman - a player with the potential to be a defensive stopper for the other team's point guard. George Hill is not as good as either of those guys strictly from a defensive standpoint, but he is a better overall player than both. George Hill fits the defensive philosophy that the starters have established, and his presence is one of the primary reasons that the team is playing historically good defense. In fact, if you replace George Hill with either Calderon or Collinson, this team is much worse defensively and while those guys might average a couple more assists a game, the overall impact on the team would be a net negative. Big time.

The question is whether it is more important to have an excellent defensive point guard or a passing-first point guard. Very few point guards are both - their names are Gary Payton and Isiah Thomas and they are in the HOF. Great pass-first point guards like Mark Jackson and Steve Nash bring you the offensive flow, but they get destroyed by good point guards on the other team. I think George Hill is undervalued at how rarely he gets torched by the other team's point guard, particularly on dribble drive penetration. He is a very good defensive player. He gets the team into the offense. He is relatively athletic for the position. He shoots a pretty strong percentage from outside. Yes, it would be great if he averaged more assists per game, but the ball is not in his hands like it is in other offenses. I don't think George Hill is the problem.

(And because I can't avoid the temptation to chase this rabbit trail, I think the 3-man defensive combo of Stephenson, Hill and Paul George are able to switch and chase each other's man and be quick to the ball on D better than any other defensive combo that the Pacers could throw out there - including Granger. Granger matches up well with 3s, but cannot chase 1s and 2s the way that the 3-person combo of Stephenson, Hill and Paul George can. It will be interesting to see how the guys mesh with Granger defensively when he comes back).

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MTM For This Useful Post:

I think their values are equal, I like both players, note that here you are not going to win that war though, Calderon is regarded as garbage around here.
    There's no war to be won, this is a message board not a battleground.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I would replace Hill with Calderon in a heartbeat.

Calderon is #1, I repeat... #1, in the NBA at assist/turnover ratio.

We need more pass-first players.
    Hill is a winner, and clutch, and vastly superior defensively. If we were still comparing Calderon and Ford, then I could see a reason to be interested in Calderon. But we've upgraded substantially to Collison first and then Hill.

So I'd rather have Hill, who is admittedly ideal as a combo guard but capable of playing PG, over any alternative in which he's not on the court in the fourth quarter.

While I like watching pass-first PGs, this team doesn't really need one.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    There's no war to be won, this is a message board not a battleground.
    You are not allowed to have a different opinion without somebody flipping out about it, it's human nature.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love Danny, but I'd be all for a swap that landed Jose Calderon, assuming we could re-sign him for a reasonable price.

Sports Logo

I agree Hill isn't a true point guard. He's a shoot first combo guard. I think trading Granger for a playmaking guard (either 1 or 2) does make sense. In my opinion Hill should be played next to guys like Iggy, Joe Johnson etc. Ball dominant guards that can run the offense. But I do not think there's any significant upgrade available in a package centered around Granger, his trade value is too low right now, so we should just keep him. Trading our best player for a junk package is something I usually oppose
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

30. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Banned

By the way I'm happy with Hill and I would not trade him for anybody.

By the way I'm happy with Hill and I would not trade him for anybody.
    I think you need to clarify this. Do you mean middle class point guards in the same tier?

Banned

I think you need to clarify this. Do you mean middle class point guards in the same tier?
    I mean anybody at any position unless they are huge upgrades, I believe that Hill is going to be an all star for years to come, he has that potential.

The Pacers are 28th in the NBA in team assists. 28th! Only the Cavs and Bobcats are worse. As much as I like this team, the problem I see is that we just may be the worst passing team in the NBA. We have TOO MANY shoot-first players. I'm fine with David West and Paul George taking this role, but when guys like George Hill, Green, and even Hansborough play like passing is never an option, then I fear we have a problem. What is the perhaps the last thing such a team needs? A shoot-first point guard like George Hill.

Toronto would do Granger for Calderon any day of the week. But would we do it?? Hell no!

I've watched many Raps game (being from Toronto) and Calderon is probably the worst defensive PG I've ever seen. Hibbert already had trouble staying out of foul trouble, with Calderon on the Pacers I don't see Hibbert playing more than 20 mins
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I would not trade Danny for Calderon. Maybe Calderon and some picks. I don't think Calderon is garbage or anything, but he is putting up decent numbers on a bad team. Have some people already forgotten the last time we got a guy like that? D.J. Augustin was in a similar situation and people were all over him for not putting up those same numbers on a better team. If there is one thing we are lacking, it would have to be more scoring and that is exactly what Danny does. If we were going to trade Danny I don't think we could get the right value as far as point guards go.

I'd say Hill is good enough. Nothing more, nothing less.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post: