Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Nets Postgame Thread 1/13/13

Default Re: Pacers/Nets Postgame Thread 1/13/13

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    name players not on rookie deals that're as good as Hill that cost 4 million a year
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    Like who? Name the available 15 ppg/ 5 apg / 4 rpg guards you would have preferred the Pacers go after this past offseason, and don't say Darren Collison. Let's hear three of them.
    I'd imagine that list starts and ends with Raymond Felton, who's earning $4 million this year. I really don't think we had a shot at him for that price, though. I'm happy with Hill as long as his contract doesn't cost us one of Lance, PG or Danny down the road.

Popovich ejected for protesting questionable officiating.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    With the amount of good to very good point guards there are in this league, I'm still struggling to find a reason as to why we gave Hill the amount we did. 6'3" combo guards are a dime a dozen, and in no way is Hill elite at his position.
    Funny. Didn't see this quote yesterday when he was having a great game. Seems like after every loss someone wants a change at the PG position. If 15, 4, and 5 can be easily replaced, then I must not be the basketball junkie I think that I am. He had a bad game it happens.

We lost to a good team on gone road on a back to back, it happens. Changes don't need to be made after every loss.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Just didn't have the D we've grown accustomed to tonight.

Not sure GH is 100% yet & doubt PG is. Losing Lance hurt and foul trouble was a major issue. Tough to lose it since we were in good position going into the 4th, but agree that getting the next two is the focus.

Green with a solid game (by his standards) in a losing cause. OJ looked decent for a rook in his minutes despite not points. Like what I've seen from him recently in limited run.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

6. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Funny. Didn't see this quote yesterday when he was having a great game. Seems like after every loss someone wants a change at the PG position.

We lost to a good team on gone road on a back to back, it happens. Changes don't need to be made after every loss.
    He's playing with the flu. I'm not going to complain about the results of him playing through it when the alternative is Ben.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    s

All I know is that if Hibbert went 5 - 14 and had his shot blocked 4 times, this board would have one or two things to say, instead he goes 3 - 5 and blocks 6 shots and he's bested by the former?? guess I missed the colour there
    Not sure I understand your post. Roy was certainly outplayed by Lopez, who put up 15 and 9. Also, Roy committed some dumb fouls (and some poorly called fouls) that led him to sit more than you would like. Overall, their bigs outworked ours on the glass. That wasn't really the point of my post which was that the Nets owned the fourth quarter.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

So McGuire's 10 days are up Tuesday, think he gets another one? That was a pretty ugly 7 minutes the other night.
    He definitely didn't impress Saturday night. My guess is he may get another 10 day since that brings it close to Danny's return date. The way the flu is spreading, they might need the extra body.

We weren't going to win every game the rest of the way. The Nets are a quality team. Plus, with the flu going around and Lance's injury, seems we are a bit undermanned.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    We just can't let other teams grab 16 O-rebounds.
    They have 2 very solid rebounders in Evans, Humphries and Blatche....one of which probably p*ssed the heck out of West ( Evans ). I'm disappointed that we didn't do so well on the rebounding end...but I'm not surprised.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

So McGuire's 10 days are up Tuesday, think he gets another one? That was a pretty ugly 7 minutes the other night.
    I have no problem with having him as insurance....but I LOVED what I saw from OJ tonight and hope that OJ gets more minutes. His shot isn't falling yet....but that's just a matter of being comfortable as he gets more minutes. But everything else he did was great...for a rookie.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Boy, I sure hope that we do get a chance to see this roster with everyone healthy and in their NORMAL game toward the end of the season. Certainly the flu will leave and DG seems to be a certain return. Hopefully that will be the end of that and maybe we could also get Roy shooting just a bit better. That would be a hellava team.

The loss tonight is why it's hard to win 60 in a season. It's not baseball, but the season is still a long distance event more than a sprint. Even the playoffs can run you into 20-25 games.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I don't think so - by the look of it, Orlando's already ready for those minutes.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    I don't think so - by the look of it, Orlando's already ready for those minutes.
    Yeah, but you still need the depth at the wing rotation....especially if Lance is going to miss some minutes. I really hope that unless we sign someone like Michael Redd.....there would be a need for someone as insurance to play behind OJ.

But I agree with you.....I think that OJ is ready to take some spot but consistent minutes.

name players not on rookie deals that're as good as Hill that cost 4 million a year
    Combo guards (+ point guards) making 5mil or less per year who are not on their drafted rookie deals and who are of similar quality to Hill, especially if given Hill's 35mpg...

Terry, Felton, Kidd, Lowry, Hinrich, Robinson, Sessions, Lou Williams, Chalmers, Jordan Crawford, Jamal Crawford, Brooks, Mayo, Vasquez, Neal, Barea, Ridnour, Shved, Foye, even Augustin proved we likely wouldn't miss a beat starting such a player in Hill's place. This list doesn't include the many combo guards who are indeed on their rookie deals and are of similar quality, if not better, nor does it include the combo guards who are making less than Hill and yet clearly superior, such as Conley. The point guard position is simply not a position to invest heavily in unless you have an elite player at that position as good players who are 6'4 or shorter are a dime a dozen. $8 million for Hill is about $3 million too much, which could very well hurt us in actually acquiring a player who could take us over the top.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Combo guards (+ point guards) making 5mil or less per year who are not on their drafted rookie deals and who are of similar quality to Hill, especially if given Hill's 35mpg...

Terry, Felton, Kidd, Lowry, Hinrich, Robinson, Sessions, Lou Williams, Chalmers, Jordan Crawford, Jamal Crawford, Brooks, Mayo, Vasquez, Neal, Barea, Ridnour, Shved, Foye, even Augustin proved we likely wouldn't miss a beat starting such a player in Hill's place. This list doesn't include the many combo guards who are indeed on their rookie deals and are of similar quality, if not better, nor does it include the combo guards who are making less than Hill and yet clearly superior, such as Conley. The point guard position is simply not a position to invest heavily in unless you have an elite player at that position as good players who are 6'4 or shorter are a dime a dozen. $8 million for Hill is about $3 million too much, which could very well hurt us in actually acquiring a player who could take us over the top.
    You maybe could've had an argument but then you said Augustin....
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

This list is ridiculous. Hinrich? Maybe 5 years ago when he was in his prime and George Hill was a senior at IUPUI.
    DG for 3

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    You maybe could've had an argument but then you said Augustin....
    ...and Terry and Kidd and Hinrich and Robinson and Chalmers and Brooks and Mayo and Neal and Barea and Ridnour and Foye...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Would have thought Jarrett Jack would be on the list but I guess he's 5.5 mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    ...and Terry and Kidd and Hinrich and Robinson and Chalmers and Brooks and Mayo and Neal and Barea and Ridnour and Foye...
    Strictly based on #s, per 36 minutes, each of those players is either slightly below, right at, or slightly above Hill statistically yet making roughly $4+ million per season less. And please understand that Hill plays a lot of minutes to generate the stats he does. People can complain about a few on the list, but that list, + all of the rookie contract players on par or better than Hill, + the other combo guards I didn't list between $5mil - $7.5mil per season should be enough to tell anybody that quality players for $5mil or less at the point/combo guard position are a dime a dozen. Watching him brick shot after shot in crunch time tonight only strengthened my belief that his contract was a huge mistake and may cost us the shot at a player who could greatly help us, or even hinder us in resigning the likes of West or Stephenson or George.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    Popovich ejected for protesting questionable officiating.
    And Frank Vogel should have been ejected for how bad the refs was tonight. Frank should have ripped their asses out there.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Gotta Play Big

With the amount of good to very good point guards there are in this league, I'm still struggling to find a reason as to why we gave Hill the amount we did. 6'3" combo guards are a dime a dozen, and in no way is Hill elite at his position.
    Yes and his pay check is not elite either.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Strictly based on #s, per 36 minutes, each of those players is either slightly below, right at, or slightly above Hill statistically yet making roughly $4+ million per season less. And please understand that Hill plays a lot of minutes to generate the stats he does. People can complain about a few on the list, but that list, + all of the rookie contract players on par or better than Hill, + the other combo guards I didn't list between $5mil - $7.5mil per season should be enough to tell anybody that quality players for $5mil or less at the point/combo guard position are a dime a dozen. Watching him brick shot after shot in crunch time tonight only strengthened my belief that his contract was a huge mistake and may cost us the shot at a player who could greatly help us, or even hinder us in resigning the likes of West or Stephenson or George.
    Not based on per 36, do you actually believe the players I singled out would be able to step into a starting role and be as valuable as Hill? Hill's been struggling as late but I have no doubt he'll return to early season form when HE was the one carrying out entire team on his back offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Boy, I sure hope that we do get a chance to see this roster with everyone healthy and in their NORMAL game toward the end of the season. Certainly the flu will leave and DG seems to be a certain return. Hopefully that will be the end of that and maybe we could also get Roy shooting just a bit better. That would be a hellava team.
    My thoughts exactly. This team with a healthy roster performing in stride looks downright SCARY good.

As for tonight, didn't see the second half. Coming off an all-nighter fundraiser and napping took up most of the day so didn't see the officiating. Tend to agree with the crowd that this isn't a bad loss. No such thing as a good loss but sounds like 36 solid minutes then just ran out of gas and luck in the fourth. Hopefully the break between gives these guys some rest to be set for Charlotte.

Also find it funny how we're talking about how we need Lance now. Wasn't that long ago people were thinking Larry was crazy for A) drafting him and B) keeping him around. Really proud he's proved us wrong and has made great strides this year.
    Forever struggling to convince myself "In Larry we trust"
    Writer at NoseBleedSectionSports.com

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mitchbr For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Not sure I understand your post. Roy was certainly outplayed by Lopez, who put up 15 and 9. Also, Roy committed some dumb fouls (and some poorly called fouls) that led him to sit more than you would like. Overall, their bigs outworked ours on the glass. That wasn't really the point of my post which was that the Nets owned the fourth quarter.
    His point was simple, actually. If Kobe had a night like the one Lopez had, people would pile on him again. My guess is that they'd say the following:

"Yes, Roy had a good 4th quarter but that doesn't excuse him from the 3 hideous quarter that he played prior to that. I mean he shot 35.7% and got stuffed 4 times. What kind of 7 footer gets stuffed 4 times? Roy is just unbelievably soft. Lopez would outplay him if it wasn't for his foul trouble!"

Actually, the last argument has already been used

Look, I'm not trying to say that Roy played better than Lopez. He didn't. The foul trouble was mainly his fault despite some dubious calls.

But it wasn't him that was outworked on the glass. Brook had 2 offensive boards. Roy had 2 offensive boards as well. It was their PFs that out-worked ours. Reggie Evans had 3 offensive boards. Kris Humphries had 5 offensive boards. David West had an awesome offensive game but he didn't grab a single offensive rebound in 34 minutes (although he did battle for some). Tyler Hansbrough played 12 minutes and didn't grab a single rebound. It's clear as day which players were outworked and which ones weren't.

It's just that people will continue to pile on Roy no matter what because this is the current narrative. People did this last year with DC as well.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

I doubt there would be complaints if Hibbert scored 10 points in the 4th quarter. Especially if he drained 3 consecutive from mid-range. I'll give Hibbert credit for shutting down Lopez's post up game as he usually does. But the Pacers had no answer when Lopez adjusted and started hitting from outside.