Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Nets Postgame Thread 1/13/13

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers/Nets Postgame Thread 1/13/13

Meh...

BTW, I won't be able to do a postgame thread Tuesday as I will be at the game in Charlotte so someone else is gonna have to do it.

(Courtesy of NBA.com)
    Last edited by Trophy; 01-13-2013 at 08:21 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers/Nets Postgame Thread 1/13/13

Losses happen, bad officiating happen, frustration happens.

No big deal - we'll just take the next game by storm! GO PACERS!
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Well that was unpleasant. How many 16-2 runs did they go on, 8 or 9!?!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MiaDragon For This Useful Post:

Here's to hoping Lance can play next game.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

Injuries, foul trouble, being tired from playing back to back games, and playing a pretty good team on the road was too much to overcome.

Overall and during the whole game the Pacers defense was not up to par. Offense kept them in the game through 3 quarters, but the defense never turned it up
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-13-2013 at 08:26 PM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

With the amount of good to very good point guards there are in this league, I'm still struggling to find a reason as to why we gave Hill the amount we did. 6'3" combo guards are a dime a dozen, and in no way is Hill elite at his position.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the amount of good to very good point guards there are in this league, I'm still struggling to find a reason as to why we gave Hill the amount we did. 6'3" combo guards are a dime a dozen, and in no way is Hill elite at his position.
    Elite? No, but we would not be able to pay for an elite point with what we are paying other players. I think a healthy Hill might be our best option

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Elite? No, but we would not be able to pay for an elite point with what we are paying other players. I think a healthy Hill might be our best option
    Point is you can find options at the point guard position just as good as Hill for half the cost. That money would have or could have been better spent or saved elsewhere. Bigs are at a premium, combo guards are not.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Point is you can find options at the point guard position just as good as Hill for half the cost. That money would have or could have been better spent or saved elsewhere. Bigs are at a premium, combo guards are not.
    name players not on rookie deals that're as good as Hill that cost 4 million a year

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    name players not on rookie deals that're as good as Hill that cost 4 million a year
    Combo guards (+ point guards) making 5mil or less per year who are not on their drafted rookie deals and who are of similar quality to Hill, especially if given Hill's 35mpg...

Terry, Felton, Kidd, Lowry, Hinrich, Robinson, Sessions, Lou Williams, Chalmers, Jordan Crawford, Jamal Crawford, Brooks, Mayo, Vasquez, Neal, Barea, Ridnour, Shved, Foye, even Augustin proved we likely wouldn't miss a beat starting such a player in Hill's place. This list doesn't include the many combo guards who are indeed on their rookie deals and are of similar quality, if not better, nor does it include the combo guards who are making less than Hill and yet clearly superior, such as Conley. The point guard position is simply not a position to invest heavily in unless you have an elite player at that position as good players who are 6'4 or shorter are a dime a dozen. $8 million for Hill is about $3 million too much, which could very well hurt us in actually acquiring a player who could take us over the top.

Like who? Name the available 15 ppg/ 5 apg / 4 rpg guards you would have preferred the Pacers go after this past offseason, and don't say Darren Collison. Let's hear three of them.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    Like who? Name the available 15 ppg/ 5 apg / 4 rpg guards you would have preferred the Pacers go after this past offseason, and don't say Darren Collison. Let's hear three of them.
    Let's hear ONE of them.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    I'd imagine that list starts and ends with Raymond Felton, who's earning $4 million this year. I really don't think we had a shot at him for that price, though. I'm happy with Hill as long as his contract doesn't cost us one of Lance, PG or Danny down the road.

He's pretty good all around, has playoff and leadership experience from his Spurs days, has proven to be capable of taking and making game winning shots, among other things. He's not a 20 ppg scorer, he gets hurt a little too often and he's not a playmaker. He's not getting elite money, he's getting "good young veteran" money, which is what he is.

Anyway, I didn't watch the game, what happened to Lance? Brooklyn's been playing well so there's no shame in losing to them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Funny. Didn't see this quote yesterday when he was having a great game. Seems like after every loss someone wants a change at the PG position. If 15, 4, and 5 can be easily replaced, then I must not be the basketball junkie I think that I am. He had a bad game it happens.

We lost to a good team on gone road on a back to back, it happens. Changes don't need to be made after every loss.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Funny. Didn't see this quote yesterday when he was having a great game. Seems like after every loss someone wants a change at the PG position.

We lost to a good team on gone road on a back to back, it happens. Changes don't need to be made after every loss.
    He's playing with the flu. I'm not going to complain about the results of him playing through it when the alternative is Ben.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Yes and his pay check is not elite either.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

You gotta be kidding me. He had a bad game. For $8 mill per season, he's a steal.

I hate it when a player has a bad game and all of sudden the complaining starts. Hill is still probably a little sick
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

You do have the give the Nets credit: they played an amazing fourth quarter. Deron broke Hill down on every pick and roll. Their bigs attacked the glass, and Lopez hit shots that Roy couldn't and West wasn't getting open for. They adjusted, we got frustrated, and they killed us. Tough loss to take at the moment, but a reasonable one with perspective. Hope Lance isn't too banged up.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    You do have the give the Nets credit: they played an amazing fourth quarter. Deron broke Hill down on every pick and roll. Their bigs attacked the glass, and Lopez hit shots that Roy couldn't and West wasn't getting open for.
    It's true that you have give the Nets credit. They executed perfectly. Their crowd helped a lot.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

s
    You do have the give the Nets credit: they played an amazing fourth quarter. Deron broke Hill down on every pick and roll. Their bigs attacked the glass, and Lopez hit shots that Roy couldn't and West wasn't getting open for. They adjusted, we got frustrated, and they killed us. Tough loss to take at the moment, but a reasonable one with perspective. Hope Lance isn't too banged up.

All I know is that if Hibbert went 5 - 14 and had his shot blocked 4 times, this board would have one or two things to say, instead he goes 3 - 5 and blocks 6 shots and he's bested by the former?? guess I missed the colour there
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    s

All I know is that if Hibbert went 5 - 14 and had his shot blocked 4 times, this board would have one or two things to say, instead he goes 3 - 5 and blocks 6 shots and he's bested by the former?? guess I missed the colour there
    Not sure I understand your post. Roy was certainly outplayed by Lopez, who put up 15 and 9. Also, Roy committed some dumb fouls (and some poorly called fouls) that led him to sit more than you would like. Overall, their bigs outworked ours on the glass. That wasn't really the point of my post which was that the Nets owned the fourth quarter.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Not sure I understand your post. Roy was certainly outplayed by Lopez, who put up 15 and 9. Also, Roy committed some dumb fouls (and some poorly called fouls) that led him to sit more than you would like. Overall, their bigs outworked ours on the glass. That wasn't really the point of my post which was that the Nets owned the fourth quarter.
    His point was simple, actually. If Kobe had a night like the one Lopez had, people would pile on him again. My guess is that they'd say the following:

"Yes, Roy had a good 4th quarter but that doesn't excuse him from the 3 hideous quarter that he played prior to that. I mean he shot 35.7% and got stuffed 4 times. What kind of 7 footer gets stuffed 4 times? Roy is just unbelievably soft. Lopez would outplay him if it wasn't for his foul trouble!"

Actually, the last argument has already been used

Look, I'm not trying to say that Roy played better than Lopez. He didn't. The foul trouble was mainly his fault despite some dubious calls.

But it wasn't him that was outworked on the glass. Brook had 2 offensive boards. Roy had 2 offensive boards as well. It was their PFs that out-worked ours. Reggie Evans had 3 offensive boards. Kris Humphries had 5 offensive boards. David West had an awesome offensive game but he didn't grab a single offensive rebound in 34 minutes (although he did battle for some). Tyler Hansbrough played 12 minutes and didn't grab a single rebound. It's clear as day which players were outworked and which ones weren't.

It's just that people will continue to pile on Roy no matter what because this is the current narrative. People did this last year with DC as well.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Mood

I didn't know that the sound system at the Nets games just played Jay-Z songs all game. I'd play "Change Clothes" in the opponents' locker room on a loop if I'm in charge of that sort of thing.

Sports Logo

Oh well. I didn't expect us to win this game anyway. The Nets are a good team without Avery and they are on a roll. I would expect a win if the game was at home but since it was a road game I didn't.

Simply put, it's not easy to beat playoff teams without your best player on the road.

We still need Danny. Games like those are the proof that we do, in case anyone doubted it.

Anyway, I'm proud about the effort of our guys. They played a great game for 3 quarters. A combination of running out of fumes and thus not being able to hit shots and having foul trouble and thus not being able to play proper D costed us the game. Their crowd was a big part of it, too.

Let's take care of business in Charlotte and hope for a win in Orlando. We need to regather.

Also, let's hope that Lance will be able to play. We need him.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post: