Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    About as true as it gets. I still remember when the Pistons were gifted Rasheed. I loved our team and had faith in them but immediately stated that Rasheed was the x-factor and "there went our championship".

In our Pacers history, two of my biggest regrets are the day the Pistons acquired Rasheed and the Pacers trading Antonio a year too early.

I believe both moves cost the Pacers a championship.

I started a post right after they acquired Sheed and declared the Pistons Eastern Conference champs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I started a post right after they acquired Sheed and declared the Pistons Eastern Conference champs.
    Yes. And as I recall more than a few took exception and blasted you for it. I think they looked at the malcontent that Rasheed had been and his history of technical fouls and stated that he would either be spending most of his time on suspension or causing the Pistons locker room to burst at the seams.

I still wish that they had all been right and we would have been wrong. But it is a prime example of a player's willingness to reinvent himself in pursuit of a ring.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I dont think sheed has ever changed. He just got traded to a team of guys as obsessed with winning as he was.

There's a reason why sheed can say idiotic things during and between the games, and pick up technical fouls by the bushel, and every teammate he's ever had still swears by him. Rasheed has always been about winning, first second and third. He doesn't care if he scores 2 or 20. He just wants to win.

On a crappy team, that attitude makes him look lazy and disinterested. On a good team, it makes him the perfect glue guy. The one thing he has never, ever been, is a locker room destroyer.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-14-2013 at 11:57 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sheed had the perfect situation for him with the Pistons. Perfect teammates and coach. From what I understand most of his problems were not with his own team but it was with refs. (not to suggest he always got along with his teammtes and coaches, but he seemed to respect Larry Brown a lot).

I considered Sheed a better defender than Ben Wallace. (maybe I was partial because of the great job he always did on JO, when ben was not nearly as good defending JO) There have been some great defenswive power forwards over the years, but I think I would put KG and Sheed as the two best. Their combination of team and one-on-one skills IMO put them ahead of some other great defenders.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Ben was a DPOY shot blocker, but not DPOY individual defender. Really good, but not great.