Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 80

Thread: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

  1. #51

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...and josh smith. But hey, who's counting....It was the most lopsided trade ever, right?

    Kinda like the idiots that still whine over the pau gasol trde, while overlooking the fact Memphis got Marc gasol....
    They were lopsided. Ex post, the trades you mentioned look better because the picks turned out to be Smith and Gasol. But the average value of mid first rounders and second rounders are much less than Smith and Gasol. If not, everyone would want a Laker second rounder.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Indy For This Useful Post:


  3. #52

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny how every team we played was either dysfunctional or just offensively inept after we ground them into dust....

    We get that a lot.
    You guys held bad offensive teams to low numbers. Sooooo impressive.

    If you guys had maintained it for an entire year we would all be impressed. But big difference between 82 + playoffs. And 25 + playoffs

  4. #53
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,387

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You guys held bad offensive teams to low numbers. Sooooo impressive.

    If you guys had maintained it for an entire year we would all be impressed. But big difference between 82 + playoffs. And 25 + playoffs
    Well, they tried, but I'm sure the 2004 pistons are mortified that they weren't able to impress you with their half-dozen or so defensive NBA records that still stand.

    Every team we played that year was a bad offensive team, dontcha know?
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-13-2013 at 09:47 AM.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  6. #54

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, they tried, but I'm sure the 2004 pistons are mortified that they weren't able to impress you with their half-dozen or so defensive NBA records that still stand.

    Every team we played that year was a bad offensive team, dontcha know?
    The '04 Pistons might not be, but you seem awfully concerned.

  7. #55

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, they tried, but I'm sure the 2004 pistons are mortified that they weren't able to impress you with their half-dozen or so defensive NBA records that still stand.

    Every team we played that year was a bad offensive team, dontcha know?
    Ignoring the facts doesn't make your point more valid. Just between the Pacers games(6 in the playoffs 1 in the regular season) and the Nets in the playoffs, they played 14 games against teams in the bottom third of the league in offense.

    If you play a larger percentage of games against bad offensive units, your defensive stats should be better.

  8. #56
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,841

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    Seems like the bucks and lakers were the 3rd and 4th highest scoring teams. The pacers had the 26th pace, but they were 9th in off rating. The nets were the 25th offense though.

  9. #57
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,387

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems like the bucks and lakers were the 3rd and 4th highest scoring teams. The pacers had the 26th pace, but they were 9th in off rating. The nets were the 25th offense though.
    Stating facts doesn't make your point more valid.

    Oh wait...

    2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

  10. #58
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,841

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history


  11. #59

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stating facts doesn't make your point more valid.

    Oh wait...
    You mean a dysfunctional Lakers team, that nobody thought played like they had earlier in the year. Oh and 5 games against the offensively inclined bucks totally makes up for the 13 playoff games against Pacers and Bucks.

    Are Pistons fans so disappointed by their current team that they have to go back and retroactively go back and add to their former glory.

  12. #60
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,294

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are Pistons fans so disappointed by their current team that they have to go back and retroactively go back and add to their former glory.
    lol...wouldnt you be? Thats all they got...distant memories

  13. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,753

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You mean a dysfunctional Lakers team, that nobody thought played like they had earlier in the year. Oh and 5 games against the offensively inclined bucks totally makes up for the 13 playoff games against Pacers and Bucks.

    Are Pistons fans so disappointed by their current team that they have to go back and retroactively go back and add to their former glory.
    Are some Pacer fans so unaccustomed to success that they have to pretend this year's squad is one of the best defensive teams of all time?

  14. #62

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That seems to make what Indy is doing in this season seem a little more impressive then I think.
    The average team FG% for 03-04 was .439.
    The average for this season? .447.

    In 03-04, eight teams shot under .430, and only four teams shot over .450.
    This season, four teams shoot under .430, and a whopping 11 teams shoot over .450.

    In 03-04, only six teams shot a FG% higher than the current season's average, whereas, 20 of the league's 30 teams are shooting higher than 03-04's FG% average.

    Those Pistons were a great defensive team, sure, but no rational person (that excludes a few of you, sadly...) can deny that their defensive numbers are clearly inflated by the fact that 03-04 was arguably the low-point of modern NBA offense. They were a slow-paced, plodding, ugly team, playing in the era of hideous offense.

    My personal opinion is that those Pistons deserve about 80% of the credit for the defensive numbers they put up, while the other 20% is credited to terrible offense, league-wide. I'd put those numbers at about 90/10 for this current Pacers team.

    One of the best testaments to the Pacers' defensive dominance is to compare their top-ranked oFG% (.413) to the second-ranked oFG% (Warriors; .429), and see how it stacks up to past margins.

    Here are the top-ranked oFG%'s, and their margin over the second-ranked oFG's, since 1990:

    1. 1993 Knicks (3.0)
    2. 1998 Spurs (1.7)
    3T. 2013 Pacers (1.6)
    3T. 1995 Knicks (1.6)
    5. 2008 Celtics (1.4)
    6. 1990: Pistons (0.8)
    7T. 2003 Kings (0.7)
    7T. 1997 Knicks (0.7)
    7T. 1994 Knicks (0.7)
    10T. 2007 Rockets (0.6)
    10T. 2000 Lakers (0.6)
    12T. 2011 Bulls (0.4)
    12T. 1996 Heat (0.4)
    12T. 1991 Spurs (0.4)
    15T. 2006: Bulls (0.3)
    15T. 2004: Spurs (0.3)
    17T. 2012: Celtics (0.2)
    17T. 2001: Knicks (0.2)
    18T. 2010 Magic (0.1)
    18T. 2005 Bulls (0.1)
    18T. 2002 Lakers (0.1)
    18T. 1999 Spurs (0.1)
    18T. 1992 Spurs (0.1)
    23. 2009 Celtics (<0.1)

  15. #63
    Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    301
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    I'm honestly not surprised, they have been playing some of the best defense i've ever seen.
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

  16. #64

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    People need to lay off Kstat, that Pistons team absolutely was one of the best ever defenses. I don't understand why people are trying to downplay their accomplishments.
    That'll do.

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pig norton For This Useful Post:


  18. #65
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    Quote Originally Posted by pig norton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People need to lay off Kstat, that Pistons team absolutely was one of the best ever defenses. I don't understand why people are trying to downplay their accomplishments.
    Agree with this. Kstat's right. That Pistons team was phenomenal.

    Shags is wrong, though, to insinuate that this Pacers' defense is not one of the best ever.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  20. #66
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    I'd worked through the rankings of the Pistons playoff opponents and how they fared, but it seemed more like a pile on against KStat and I'm not really trying to tear that team down because once they added Sheed they were tough.

    But with some of the other discussions let me bring up one of the main findings. They did hold their opponents to lower than their normal FG%, but the Nets and Pacers were below average FG% teams and fundamentally that post-season FG% number was built on 7 games - the first game vs the Nets (in the 25% range) and the 6 games vs the Pacers. The Nets actually went over 41% for 4 of the games (as I recall from looking last night) and the Bucks/Lakers both shot in the "decent" low 40% for their series.

    But the Pacers...well they couldn't make a shot to save their life apart from one game and basically won at all on their own defense. This doesn't really dismiss the Pistons effort and has nothing to do with the sub-70 run (though league-wide the pace was much slower that year), but it does suggest factually that if you take out that Pacers series and only face teams with top 14 offenses DURING THE PLAYOFFS (where you'd expect to find quality teams) then the Pistons don't put up a number nearly as nasty as they did.

    They were title caliber and one of the great defenses, but dwarfing what other great defenses did? No. Put them in the 2000 Finals and you don't see them keeping LA or Indy under 80 points. In my opinion obviously.

    Remember that this is why the Pacers made the Al for Jackson trade. Detroit was able to use Sheed/Ben/Prince on the frontline as length against any interior offense, and the Pacers found out quickly they only had one outside threat - Reggie. So they swapped low post Al for outside shooting Jackson, and right before the brawl it appeared to have worked. Stupid brawl helped ruin what could have been a fantastic 3-4 year rivalry on par with 90's Pacers/Knicks.




    Anyway to me it seems to be truth to say that the Pistons were an awesome defense and the currrent Pacers at full strength (but even without DG) are an elite defense. The days of a pace that supports regular sub-70 games is gone, but the Pacers are capable of knocking out several sub-80s games in a row in a season when that's abnormal.

  21. #67
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,387

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    We were hurt... We were dysfunctional....we just couldn't make shots....yeah, I recall getting that a lot in 2004. From everybody.

    And yes, take out their best performances and the averages drop. That's stunning. I've never, ever heard that one before...

    2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

  22. #68

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    And yes, take out their best performances and the averages drop. That's stunning. I've never, ever heard that one before...
    Yeah and if only we could add another 59 games we could actually have a decent comparison to other great defensive teams. They were simply a great defensive team over a 23 game stretch of a season (or however many games it was). Why so defensive?

  23. #69
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,387

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I'm not being defensive at all. I'm just pointing out they set more defensive records in 25 games than any other team did over 82.

    2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

  24. #70

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not being defensive at all. I'm just pointing out they set more defensive records in 25 games than any other team did over 82.
    I bet if you took the best 25 game stretch of some of those other elite teams they would put that Pistons mark to shame.

  25. #71

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not being defensive at all. I'm just pointing out they set more defensive records in 25 games than any other team did over 82.
    But doing it over an 82 game season is what makes a defense truly great, fighting through fatigue and injury. As you said, Sheed got hurt and limited what they could do on defense. Do you think they put up the same insane numbers over 82 games?

    Having said that, I think people here are underestimating that Pistons defense. If I needed to win a game, I'd take them over this year's Pacers defense.

  26. #72
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,387

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bet if you took the best 25 game stretch of some of those other elite teams they would put that Pistons mark to shame.
    Wow....you're really just guessing and throwing slop at the wall, huh?

    That team held more teams under 70 points in their last 25 games than any other NBA team in history managed in 82...so I'm going to go out on a limb and say no.

    At one point, they strung together five in a row. The old NBA record was two. They also hold the NBA record for 36 straight games keeping opponents under 100.

    The bottom line is, even if you take the averages out of the equation, they strung together more dominating defensive performances in 25 games than any other team has ever cobbled together in 82.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-14-2013 at 07:02 AM.

    2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

  27. #73

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    This is really just sad. If you need to pretend like that should go right on ahead. The rest of us over here in reality no otherwise. Btw in those 25 games you played a whopping 2 top 10 offenses

  28. #74
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,970

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    I've often said two things.

    The Pistons after they acquired Sheed were the best defensive team I have ever seen. But the rules were changed after that season and the Pistons style they played in 2004 would cause them to foul way too much to be effective.

    However if that Pistons team were playing right now, they would still be a great defensive team, just different because of the rules - but still great. The best I have ever seen? I don't know that - would have to see how they adjusted to the new rules.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-14-2013 at 11:30 AM.

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  30. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,551

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've often said two things.

    The Pistons after they acquired Sheed were the best defensive team I have ever seen. But the rules were changed after that season and the Pistons style they played in 2004 would cause them to foul way too much to be effective.

    However if that Pistons team were playing right now, they would still be a great defensive team, just different because of the rules - but still great. The best I have ever seen? I don't know that
    About as true as it gets. I still remember when the Pistons were gifted Rasheed. I loved our team and had faith in them but immediately stated that Rasheed was the x-factor and "there went our championship".

    In our Pacers history, two of my biggest regrets are the day the Pistons acquired Rasheed and the Pacers trading Antonio a year too early.

    I believe both moves cost the Pacers a championship.

Similar Threads

  1. Who is the best coach in Pacers history?
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 08-28-2012, 08:46 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 09:43 PM
  3. Comprehensive defense examination thread, part II: Wing defense
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-24-2009, 10:18 AM
  4. Jackson&rsquo;s Heroics Lift Pacers, Prevent History (Pacers.com)
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 06:12 AM
  5. Best move in Pacers history?
    By GetOdom in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-19-2005, 12:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •