1. San Antonio Spurs 1998-99 .402
    2. New York Knicks 1998-99 .403
    3. San Antonio Spurs 2003-04 .409
    4. Miami Heat 1998-99 .411
    5. San Antonio Spurs 1997-98 .411
    6. Indiana Pacers 2012-13 .412
    7. Houston Rockets 2003-04 .412
    7. Detroit Pistons 2003-04 .413

I've noticed a lot of people here doubting our ability to be a championship contender this year. Look at some of those teams; that is good company.

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to The Big Smooth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: The Pacers have the 6th best FG% defense in NBA history

The Houston thing is throwing me. Who played for them at that time?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty sure that's still Stevey Franchise Era Rockets.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Pretty sure that's still Stevey Franchise Era Rockets.
    + JVG was the coach and he always expected his teams to defend. Not surprisingly, another JVG-coached team is on the list at #2.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Jeff Van Gundy

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yao, Stevie franchise, and a certain back-up pg named mark jackson

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    Yao, Stevie franchise, and a certain back-up pg named mark jackson
    Don't forget the then healthy not unlike our Roy 7'5 lumber of a health Yao. I think what you see is that a lot of these teams have big men that can help and defend the paint well. That way, the parameter players could stay up tight on a shooter because he knows he has someone to back him up on a drive. Roy's value as a defender is more than just blocking shot but also a mental boost to our wings.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wooolus For This Useful Post:

That Houston team was awesome, if a bit dysfunctional and frustrating to watch. They had Yao in his prime, Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley. Jeff Van Gundy was the coach who did a fantastic job, but I think he hated that team! They played amazing defense, but the level of selfish play on offense was hard to watch. At least that's how I remember them through the haze of the years.

still a lot of basketball left but, good chance we finish in the top ten.
    I'm a Beast

Doesn't matter cause our offense isn't #1 too. No one wins anything with the best defense.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Wasn't 98-99 a lockout season too? It's interesting that everyone on that list is either the 98-99 season or the 03-04 season, with the exception of us and a 97-98 Spurs season. Damn good company. I don't suspect we will hold that number all season, but it shows we really do have an elite defensive team.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Wasn't 98-99 a lockout season too? It's interesting that everyone on that list is either the 98-99 season or the 03-04 season, with the exception of us and a 97-98 Spurs season. Damn good company. I don't suspect we will hold that number all season, but it shows we really do have an elite defensive team.
    The 3 teams from 1998-99 stuck out to me first thing when I looked at this list. While those were solid teams, you can't help but think people just weren't making a lot of shots. I seem to remember Simmons talking extensively about this in his book as well (could've been an article but I think it was the book). Still nice to see Indy on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    The 3 teams from 1998-99 stuck out to me first thing when I looked at this list. While those were solid teams, you can't help but think people just weren't making a lot of shots. I seem to remember Simmons talking extensively about this in his book as well (could've been an article but I think it was the book). Still nice to see Indy on the list.
    Yeah, it was a bad shooting year, league-wide. Hard to say where those teams would fare under more normal circumstances.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Yeah, it was a bad shooting year, league-wide. Hard to say where those teams would fare under more normal circumstances.
    That seems to make what Indy is doing in this season seem a little more impressive then I think.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadshot For This Useful Post:

J7F

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    That seems to make what Indy is doing in this season seem a little more impressive then I think.
    The average team FG% for 03-04 was .439.
    The average for this season? .447.

In 03-04, eight teams shot under .430, and only four teams shot over .450.
    This season, four teams shoot under .430, and a whopping 11 teams shoot over .450.

In 03-04, only six teams shot a FG% higher than the current season's average, whereas, 20 of the league's 30 teams are shooting higher than 03-04's FG% average.

Those Pistons were a great defensive team, sure, but no rational person (that excludes a few of you, sadly...) can deny that their defensive numbers are clearly inflated by the fact that 03-04 was arguably the low-point of modern NBA offense. They were a slow-paced, plodding, ugly team, playing in the era of hideous offense.

My personal opinion is that those Pistons deserve about 80% of the credit for the defensive numbers they put up, while the other 20% is credited to terrible offense, league-wide. I'd put those numbers at about 90/10 for this current Pacers team.

One of the best testaments to the Pacers' defensive dominance is to compare their top-ranked oFG% (.413) to the second-ranked oFG% (Warriors; .429), and see how it stacks up to past margins.

Here are the top-ranked oFG%'s, and their margin over the second-ranked oFG's, since 1990:

1. 1993 Knicks (3.0)
    2. 1998 Spurs (1.7)
    3T. 2013 Pacers (1.6)
    3T. 1995 Knicks (1.6)
    5. 2008 Celtics (1.4)
    6. 1990: Pistons (0.8)
    7T. 2003 Kings (0.7)
    7T. 1997 Knicks (0.7)
    7T. 1994 Knicks (0.7)
    10T. 2007 Rockets (0.6)
    10T. 2000 Lakers (0.6)
    12T. 2011 Bulls (0.4)
    12T. 1996 Heat (0.4)
    12T. 1991 Spurs (0.4)
    15T. 2006: Bulls (0.3)
    15T. 2004: Spurs (0.3)
    17T. 2012: Celtics (0.2)
    17T. 2001: Knicks (0.2)
    18T. 2010 Magic (0.1)
    18T. 2005 Bulls (0.1)
    18T. 2002 Lakers (0.1)
    18T. 1999 Spurs (0.1)
    18T. 1992 Spurs (0.1)
    23. 2009 Celtics (<0.1)

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Here's the thing about that. The Spurs have 97-98, but in the other cases first place was not only not far ahead of 2nd, but not far ahead of 3rd either. In the case of the Pacers this season they are WAY out in front of everyone else. It's not an "era" thing or rules of the year or whatever where you see many teams bunched together at the top. In the lockout season it was not only still a defensive friendly era, but many people thought that the shooting was rusty when the lockout ended.

Edit - Thanks CGG, you already addressed it. I had only read page 1 when I posted. The Pacers might be more ahead of the mean than the teams from those other seasons.

Of course a person could say "well those other teams dropped the mean down", so I looked at the median instead just to accommodate the idea that a few elite teams pulled the league average down.

97-98: mean .450, median .448 - T'Wolves DEF FG% with 14 teams higher, 14 teams lower
    98-99: mean .437, median .439 - The Raps, 14 teams above them and 14 below.
    03-04: mean .439, median .437 - Cavs, 14 above, 14 below
    12-13: mean .447, median .448 - ORL/DAL, you can group 15 teams above and 15 below this line if you put ORL in one and DAL in the other

So for the most part the middle of the road defense is about the same as the league average, just a tick up or down. Having several elite teams did help the average in 98-99 but wasn't enough to overcome the impact of having some very bad defenses pulling up the average in 03-04.

Ratio to the MEDIAN of that season:

1. San Antonio Spurs 1998-99 .439/.402 = 1.092 (1 point to 2nd, 9 points to 3rd, both on this list)
    2. New York Knicks 1998-99 .439/.403 = 1.089
    3. San Antonio Spurs 2003-04 .437/.409 = 1.068 (3 points to 2nd, 4 points to 3rd, both on this list)
    4. Miami Heat 1998-99 .439/.411 = 1.068
    5. San Antonio Spurs 1997-98 .448/.411 = 1.090 (and 2nd was 17 points behind at 428)
    6. Indiana Pacers 2012-13 .448/.412 = 1.087 (2nd is 17 points behind at 429)
    7. Houston Rockets 2003-04 .437/.412 = 1.061
    7. Detroit Pistons 2003-04 .437/.413 = 1.058

This puts the 97-98 Spurs in 2nd in terms of comparison to the middle of the road defense that season. Then the Knicks and then the current Pacers. And as I mentioned already, you see a massive gulf between 1st and 2nd with the Pacers and with the 97-98 Spurs.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-13-2013 at 02:26 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow! Whats amazing is the fact that these pacers are doing it in an era of basketball where offense is king...im sure david stern lets his referees know that offense gets the ratings

26. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGeorgeHill For This Useful Post:

J7F

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Smooth View Post
    Team/year/Opponents FG%

1. San Antonio Spurs 1998-99 .402
    2. New York Knicks 1998-99 .403
    3. San Antonio Spurs 2003-04 .409
    4. Miami Heat 1998-99 .411
    5. San Antonio Spurs 1997-98 .411
    6. Indiana Pacers 2012-13 .412
    7. Houston Rockets 2003-04 .412
    7. Detroit Pistons 2003-04 .413

I've noticed a lot of people here doubting our ability to be a championship contender this year. Look at some of those teams; that is good company.
    I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that the 2003-04 Detroit Pistons number needs a giant 48 point font asterisk. When you're talking about ranking the best defensive teams, please remember this:

The 2003-04 Detroit Pistons, after they acquired Rasheed Wallace, was the best defensive team of ALL TIME.

The defensive numbers for the Pistons over the full season really do a major disservice to just how good that team was defensively once Sheed came aboard.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that the 2003-04 Detroit Pistons number needs a giant 48 point font asterisk. When you're talking about ranking the best defensive teams, please remember this:

The 2003-04 Detroit Pistons, after they acquired Rasheed Wallace, was the best defensive team of ALL TIME.

The defensive numbers for the Pistons over the full season really do a major disservice to just how good that team was defensively once Sheed came aboard.
    Im still pissed about that trade

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

It's a bit off to compare a 22-game stretch to rankings of full seasons.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Best of all time? Naaa...very good? yes... Especially the front line.... But that front court forgave quite a few sins of a backcourt that, for me, would prevent that team from ever being regarded as the best of all time...Right of the top of my head I would think of a couple Bulls teams and Knicks teams from the early to mid 90's that I think I would have to take if I was looking for a team to shut down another. And I have a feeling there are a few more. The Pistons were very well coached and played a god awful slow pace. Hence one of the reasons some of the numbers might be considered skewed a bit..Very good defensively and one of the best of all time, undoubtedly. But THE best? Not for me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm pretty sure everyone understands that already...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I'm pretty sure everyone understands that already...
    I didn't.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    I didn't.
    Same, that's a special team to me, with the whole beating the Lakers thing, but I didn't realize they were best defense of all time good.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    I didn't.
    Me either.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

40. The Following User Says Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post: