Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

Sports Logo

Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't believe I have ever heard a coach take the blame for the bad play of his players. He might take credit for a bad game plan but not for his players not playing well. I can see that you certainly had no reason for Larry Brown who took everything to the press......
    If a coach puts his players in the position to fail then he should take the blame for it.

For example, I don't blame Gasol for shooting 30.4% from 3 in this season. I blame D'Antoni who is telling him to shoot the 3.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    If a coach puts his players in the position to fail then he should take the blame for it.

For example, I don't blame Gasol for shooting 30.4% from 3 in this season. I blame D'Antoni who is telling him to shoot the 3.
    I don't think you will ever hear a coach do that. Has D'Antoni stepped up and said is coaching and system is responsible for the Lakers poor play. JOB and D'Atoni were very similar in their style of play. I thought everyone here said JOB would never coach again. Isn't he the assistant head coach?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    It's cause he doesn't go out and try to trap. We just give up the midrange if the other team wants it. Most teams don't want it. If they do then we can bring in Mahinmi.
    That's my point... we don't ask Hibbert to defend the PnR on the perimeter anymore.

As far as yielding the midrange shot, that is exactly how the defense is designed. And for very good reason. The typical player hits a lower percentage of midrange shots than any other shot. So, if you want to play great defense, doesn't it seem reasonable to focus on close shots and trying to prevent wide open perimeter shots, while counting on players to miss their fair share of midrange shots on their own in the event you are unable to closely contest them?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    That's my point... we don't ask Hibbert to defend the PnR on the perimeter anymore.

As far as yielding the midrange shot, that is exactly how the defense is designed. And for very good reason. The typical player hits a lower percentage of midrange shots than any other shot. So, if you want to play great defense, doesn't it seem reasonable to focus on close shots and trying to prevent wide open perimeter shots, while counting on players to miss their fair share of midrange shots on their own in the event you are unable to closely contest them?
    I didn't say it doesn't make sense. If some team happens to be killing us from midrange though, then we have the ability to adjust with Mahinmi.

Sports Logo

I don't think you will ever hear a coach do that. Has D'Antoni stepped up and said is coaching and system is responsible for the Lakers poor play. JOB and D'Atoni were very similar in their style of play.
    He hasn't but I think that at some point he should. But most people know that they will never are going to do so.

If they admitted that their system was wrong then they'd have to change it. And we all know that this isn't going to happen.

I thought everyone here said JOB would never coach again. Isn't he the assistant head coach?
    He is. His team is lottery bound. Again
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Memphis does.

They're paying Conley $33.52M for the next 4 years on a contract that scales upwards. We're paying Hill $32M in the next 4 years on a flat contract.

They gave Marcl Gasol what we gave Roy Hibbert.

They're paying Zach Randolph $50M in the next 3 years. We're paying David West $10M this year and we're hoping to retain him at the 8-10 range for the next 2 years or more.

They're paying Rudy Gay $53.67M over the next 3 years. We're paying Danny Granger $27M over the next 2.

And we also have to pay Paul George.

Our financial situation may be similar to the Grizzlies in 3-4 years. And that would be really sad. But at the moment we're in a much better position than them.

My point is that some teams are indeed paying 4 guys around the max. You can do it. You can afford a really good starting 5. You just have to not seriously overpay a guy of that starting 5. That's what Memphis did with Rudy Gay. That's why they need to unload him now. But they didn't overpay Marc Gasol. And we didn't overpay Roy Hibbert. Because their contracts are not that big to put a team in a financial dent.

If we round out our bench with smart investments (take a look in the international market, see what the Spurs are doing) then we can afford our starting 5.

There's no need to be under the salary cap anymore. You just have to avoid the luxury tax.
    hows memphis looking now??

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He hasn't but I think that at some point he should. But most people know that they will never are going to do so.

If they admitted that their system was wrong then they'd have to change it. And we all know that this isn't going to happen.

He is. His team is lottery bound. Again
    I would almost swear that I recently read somewhere that Dantoni said the problem wasn't his system, but the players.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    hows memphis looking now??
    Actually, Nuntius was absolutely right. The fact that they seriously overpaid Rudy Gay (everyone was knocking his contract from day 1) was what led them to trade him. However, I like the players they got in return for him. Once all of the new players get in the lineup and acclimated, I think they'll be a better team moving forward.

No one on the Pacers squad has a contract even close to what Rudy Gay is making and they have several players still on their rookie or cheap free agent contracts. Technically, they don't even have 1 player making the Max. They are clearly in a much better financial place than Memphis was prior to their trades.
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 02-01-2013 at 12:13 PM.