Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

Sports Logo

Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Again...forget the Grizzlies....though what are they doing right now????? looking at getting rid of gay and or randolph....why???? because the LT is about to get a lot more severe....

Look....do the math....if the LT is around 72-75 million in 2014-15....which seems to be somewhat likely....if you pay 4 guys -George, West, Granger and Hibbert 15 million each...thats 60 million....Hill is 8...thats 68.....Mahinmi is 4...thats 72 million....and 6 players....

Hello.......you cant spend the LT threshold on 6 guys...and that doesnt address Lance...or anyone else and assuming they can dump Green....
    Because Rudy Gay is overpaid. That's why they want to move him. Luckily, Danny Granger is not overpaid. That's why we're in a good position to keep our starting 5 intact.

I did the math in my above post. There's no way West or Granger will be making 15 million each.

In fact, I addressed all the issues in my above post. So, I'll just answer your answer to that post.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Here is the problem with calling it max. Not all max salaries are equal. Hell Hibbert isn't even making his max. He is only making the max that another team could offer, which is less than what the Pacers could offer. Hell he is making Granger money this year, his salary and Granger's salary are not all the different. So can we please stop calling it max, and call it what it is $13.6 million.
    Calling it a max is just much more catchy

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Calling it a max is just much more catchy
    And wrong......

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here is the problem with calling it max. Not all max salaries are equal. Hell Hibbert isn't even making his max. He is only making the max that another team could offer, which is less than what the Pacers could offer. Hell he is making Granger money this year, his salary and Granger's salary are not all the different. So can we please stop calling it max, and call it what it is $13.6 million.
    Huh?????

No...just no...Hibbert is making the absolute max this year that he could make...period...25% of the cap...thats the most Portland could offer and its the most the Pacers could offer....the MAX

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Of course not.
    Really? If Roy made 2 more baskets each game he'd average 6 Field Goal Makes on 10.1 Field Goal Attempts. That's almost 60% shooting. Also, his PPG would go up from 9.5 PPG to 13.5 PPG.

Are you going to say that a player that averages 13.5 PPG on 60% shooting and continues to play the defense that Roy plays isn't worth of his contract?

Because that's exactly the problem with Roy at the moment. He's missing tip ins that he should make. If he was able to hit those then his contract would look great.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Because Rudy Gay is overpaid. That's why they want to move him. Luckily, Danny Granger is not overpaid. That's why we're in a good position to keep our starting 5 intact.

I did the math in my above post. There's no way West or Granger will be making 15 million each.

In fact, I addressed all the issues in my above post. So, I'll just answer your answer to that post.
    If Rudy gay is overpaid then Roy Hibbert is certainly overpaid....and for the same reasons theyre looking to unload his and/or possibly even Randolphs contract is the same reason...you just cant pay everyone...not any more...well at least not in a couple years...

As for thinking that youre gonna get west and Granger for somewhere around 10 million...well..as i said in another post...thats likely just wishful thinking....because theres no logic to make one think they will settle for that...especially when HIbbert and George will be making more...no logic at all...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Really? If Roy made 2 more baskets each game he'd average 6 Field Goal Makes on 10.1 Field Goal Attempts. That's almost 60% shooting. Also, his PPG would go up from 9.5 PPG to 13.5 PPG.

Are you going to say that a player that averages 13.5 PPG on 60% shooting and continues to play the defense that Roy plays isn't worth of his contract?

Because that's exactly the problem with Roy at the moment. He's missing tip ins that he should make. If he was able to hit those then his contract would look great.
    REduce it to the ridiculous? only a couple problems with that...Roy has never even shot 50% from the field..in fact very few in the league ever have shot 60%....and how bout we look at his performance based on what it actually is versus some hypothetical?....I mean we can do that with every player in the league, no? If every guy in the league shot 60% then they likely would be making the max....and there are alot and i do mean a lot of guys alot closer to shoooting 60% than Roy...that would require Roy improve by 50% right now....now that is pretty far-fetched dont u think? wanting someone to improve by half of their current level? If he does that in rebounds he will be at 12 and blocks would be 4.....so with all that you just described Dwight Howard or the like...lol...cmon...how bout we stick to the actual facts...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Huh?????

No...just no...Hibbert is making the absolute max this year that he could make...period...25% of the cap...thats the most Portland could offer and its the most the Pacers could offer....the MAX
    I think we are talking about different things here. I probably didn't clarify enough. It is the difference between a 4 year max contract and a 5 year max contract.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

No....not even if he made 50% of his shots.....
    If he was to hit 2 more tip ins each game he'd make 60% of his shots.

the guy can only realistically play 25-30 minutes a game...due to health reasons....
    That could be true. He played more minutes when he was needed in the playoffs (31 to be precise) but I can certainly agreed with that.

but hes the guy that needs to be making the 10 million versus west, paul or granger...and that 5 million is basically another rotation player...thats basically your 6th or 7th man
    If the market was fair then I'd agree that West and Granger would probably make more than Roy. But the market isn't fair.

Roy Hibbert is a 26 year old 7'2 Center that has been steadily improving over the past 4 years. He has been an excellent rim protector this year and he was an All-Star in the year he got his "max" contract. There are NOT enough of these guys in the NBA.

That's why Roy Hibbert has a greater value on the open market than West and Granger.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think we are talking about different things here. I probably didn't clarify enough. It is the difference between a 4 year max contract and a 5 year max contract.
    The salary cap is only concerned with the yearly payroll and the players annual salaries...which is really what we have been discussing here...Roys annual salary and how it impacts the ability of the team to be built around him and the rest of the key players-starters and key bench personnel...as mentioned....Im not really debating Roys worth to the team or that hes not any good...not at all...I like Roy alot...probably even more his character....but his salary is gonna create problems the season after next...theres no two ways around that...and hence why I said they will likely need to consider possibly moving him that year at some point to avoid paying significant Luxury Tax...because i dont think we are gonna see the Simons step up and pay the LT...regardless of what some here might like to wishfully think...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That could be true. He played more minutes when he was needed in the playoffs (31 to be precise) but I can certainly agreed with that.

If the market was fair then I'd agree that West and Granger would probably make more than Roy. But the market isn't fair.

Roy Hibbert is a 26 year old 7'2 Center that has been steadily improving over the past 4 years. He has been an excellent rim protector this year and he was an All-Star in the year he got his "max" contract. There are NOT enough of these guys in the NBA.

That's why Roy Hibbert has a greater value on the open market than West and Granger.
    But youre not talking about them making more than Hibbert...youre talking about them making a third less....youre talking about Danny Granger making 14 million next year and then sitting down with the Pacers and them somehow talking him into taking a 4 million dollar paycut....probably when the team is experiencing a high degree of success...and after he, by most peoples opinions, gave them a pretty good deal on his last contract....if Im Dannys agent, I think I like my chances...same for David West....theyve done everything theyve been asked to do....David West has performed brilliantly and proven to be the leader that the team so desperately needed...and for that...we want him to continue to play at the discounted rate we signed him at 2 years ago following his major knee surgery and there were many unknowns????? naaa....dont see that as too likely....absolute best case scenario is maybe they give him a "REGGIE" year on the backend....one they know he will never play and still pay him...but hes a bit too young for that to be a reality...

Sports Logo

If Rudy gay is overpaid then Roy Hibbert is certainly overpaid....and for the same reasons theyre looking to unload his and/or possibly even Randolphs contract is the same reason...you just cant pay everyone...not any more...well at least not in a couple years...
    Rudy Gay was signed to a contract worth $82 million over 5 years. Danny Granger was signed to a contract worth approximately $60 million over 5 years.

Rudy Gay and Danny Granger have had similar production in their careers. Yet, Rudy Gay was paid 22 milion more.

Roy Hibbert was signed to a contract worth $58 million over 4 years. Find me a player signed to a contract worth $34 million over 4 years that has the same production as Roy and is not a rookie deal.

I'll wait.

As for thinking that youre gonna get west and Granger for somewhere around 10 million...well..as i said in another post...thats likely just wishful thinking....because theres no logic to make one think they will settle for that...especially when HIbbert and George will be making more...no logic at all...
    Market value dictates prices. West will be 33 when his contract is up. Danny Granger will only be 30 but he will be coming off an injury.

Chances are that they both will take discounts due to those reasons.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy is not overpaid for a starting, all-star caliber C.

The problem is that he's not currently playing offense at an all-star level.

If Roy is "overpaid", maybe he should be in the 13's instead of the 14's. Okay, he's overpaid by a million.

Now, I look at the bench and Greene is overpaid by by at least $2.5 million ($3.5 million vs. the league minimum), Augustin is overpaid by at least $2.5 million ($3.5 million vs. the minimum), and Tyler might be overpaid ($3.1 million seems too much.)

That's where they'll have to find the money to give to Paul, keep David and Danny.

Assuming, of course, than any of the salary data in the public domain is really accurate, which is questionable.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    For those who have found hope in Paul George, remember this: no man is an island. While stars win games, teams win championships. There is a reason LeBron left Cleveland. Among the many reasons, Cleveland was not committed to building a team suitable for LeBron to win a championship. In addition, the same thing could be said about countless other stars. While the Roy deal was controversial, at times holding is as good of a move as folding.
    Wait, do people actually think Cleveland wasn't committed to LeBron? LOL

21. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The all star thing was last year. He is not even remotely close to all star level offensively. Roy is not overpaid by 1 million. Rather make it 3-4.

LOL. Overreaction much? 60%? That is ridiculous. As it was said, nobody could shoot at this range. Hibbert didn't shoot at that range even last year when he was much better offensively.

Nuntius, you are a bit fixated with the numbers here and you lose the bigger picture. That Hibbert, despite his horrific numbers offensively, the missed tip ins (which makes it even more embarrassing), is also having many bad shot attempts (the team is also to blame cause of the force feeding) and sometimes can barely drag his butt cause he gets tired sooner than others. His overall image on the offensive end leaves a lot, really lot to be desired. That's beside 2 other elements that were existent last year and 2 years before and still hasn't worked on them.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Cool Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Wait, do people actually think Cleveland wasn't committed to LeBron? LOL
    Committed isn't the right word. Incompetent might be......

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Committed isn't the right word. Incompetent might be......
    Lebron wanted Larry Hughes, Shaq, and a good majority of the players they brought on board. That's why you don't let the players dictate who should be on the team. It worked out in Miami until they have to start paying enormous amounts of LT.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rudy Gay was signed to a contract worth $82 million over 5 years. Danny Granger was signed to a contract worth approximately $60 million over 5 years.

Rudy Gay and Danny Granger have had similar production in their careers. Yet, Rudy Gay was paid 22 milion more.
    Which is exactly what I said...it was widely thought that Danny had given the Pacers a bit of a discount in this deal....so one can argue that if anything hes already somewhat underpaid...and yet you have him taking a huge paycut....and this after Bird has sung all his praises and how hes been a team player and done whatever asked of him...helped changed the culture...and for that Danny Boy...we want to grossly underpay you even more...you obviously dont have much of a feel for how Walsh handles such situations...let alone how anyone would ever justify such...you made 14 million last year..youre in your prime...youve been our best player for many years and been the face of the franchise...we are grateful for everything uve done....so how bout you take a 33% paycut....lol...yea...ok...heres hoping i dont ever work for you...and i also hope your bosses dont treat you that way either..fortunately...Walsh isnt like that...look at his history...look at this franchises history...theyve never treated a player of Dannys commmittment and level of production that way...ever..

Roy Hibbert was signed to a contract worth $58 million over 4 years. Find me a player signed to a contract worth $34 million over 4 years that has the same production as Roy and is not a rookie deal.

I'll wait.
    Huh???? where did the 34 million dollars come from???? you keep making stuff up...first what if Roy shot 60% from the field...and now you talk about him making 8 million a year....who said anything about making 8 million a year? I know this....both Deandre Jordan and Javale McGee signed deals in the 10 million/year range and their production this year isnt greatly different than roys production....again...understand something...the pacers didnt choose to pay roy this amount...their hand was forced....by a bitter and smart Paul Allen....they wouldve likely paid him the 10 million a year..and roy certainly wouldve been happy about it too....but what is done is done...but the result of that is...whereas if he wouldve signed a deal for 10 he probably would be a pacer for life....at 15 or so in 2 years...thats not nearly so certain...i said it when they matched...they should match..but then look to probably dump the contract in a couple years when other bills-namely paul george and danny granger-come due...

Market value dictates prices. West will be 33 when his contract is up. Danny Granger will only be 30 but he will be coming off an injury.

Chances are that they both will take discounts due to those reasons.
    Danny will be 30...West will still be 32 when his deal is up...and again...ive made a very strong case for why both of them will both not be taking 10 million a year...all you have done is provide us with wishful thinking and because there 30 years old....aint gonna happen....
    Last edited by cinotimz; 01-12-2013 at 06:24 PM.

My gard folks. For the love of gard can we quit *****ing and fighting over Hibbert's salary! It doesn't freaking matter. No amount of *****ing and moaning is going to change it. It is a reality throughout the remainder of his contract. Listening and reading to everything Vogel has to say, it is apparent that the Pacers must feel that from defense alone they are getting good value from Hibbert. So, Hibbert isn't going anywhere.

If you want to predict that the Pacers might find a way to dump Green's salary or part/all of Hansvbough's salary, that at least seems reasonable and feasible.

Personally, I see no reason why the Pacers wouldn't attempt to get a little relief salary-wise in re-signing Granger and West. Or do you think there will be other title-contending teams lined up and capable of throwing 10m or more at these guys? Many of the contending teams that have room also have their better players that they will have to re-sign, so it's not like they are going to be in a position to throw eons of money at Granger and West. And, after tasting life on a contending team, I doubt seriously that West and Granger would consider chasing better money from a mediocre team.

The Pacers will find a way to create a little extra room salary-wise this summer. And part of that will be West making no more per year, probably somewhat less, than he is making right now.

If Wade, James and Bosh signed up to take less and it has been successful for them, I think other players would also consider it.
    Last edited by beast23; 01-12-2013 at 06:29 PM.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    My gard folks. For the love of gard can we quit *****ing and fighting over Hibbert's salary! It doesn't freaking matter. No amount of *****ing and moaning is going to change it. It is a reality throughout the remainder of his contract. Listening and reading to everything Vogel has to say, it is apparent that the Pacers must feel that from defense alone they are getting good value from Hibbert. So, Hibbert isn't going anywhere.

If you want to predict that the Pacers might find a way to dump Green's salary or part/all of Hansvbough's salary, that at least seems reasonable and feasible.

Personally, I see no reason why the Pacers wouldn't attempt to get a little relief salary-wise in re-signing Granger and West. Or do you think there will be other title-contending teams lined up and capable of throwing 10m or more at these guys? Many of the contending teams that have room also have their better players that they will have to re-sign, so it's not like they are going to be in a position to throw eons of money at Granger and West. And, after tasting life on a contending team, I doubt seriously that West and Granger would consider chasing better money from a mediocre team.

The Pacers will find a way to create a little extra room salary-wise this summer. And part of that will be West making no more per year, probably somewhat less, than he is making right now.

If Wade, James and Bosh signed up to take less and it has been successful for them, I think other players would also consider it.
    Cmon beast...youve been around too long and know how Walsh handles these situations....you really think hes gonna go to the heart, soul and leadership of the team and ask them to take a huge discount...especially after theyve already given a discount on their finishing deals....David West and his agent firmly believe they gave the Pacers a discount...and I have a feeling they and everyone else will feel hes earned a pretty rich deal....only way I think he gets 10 million a year is if they give him 5 years and 50...which I have a feeling the Pacers will not wanna go that long....time will tell...we will know in a matter of months....i think more than 10...u guys think less than...differing opinions...but Im going by how Walsh does things and I just dont see it...

As for Hibbert....the Pacers traded both of the max contracts they ever have given...Jermaine and Jalen...because it just straps this small market team from putting a team together thats gonna be competitve...especially when u consider its likely they will have to give Paul George a max deal..I dont think Roy will be any diffferent...for me its not a question of if...but only a matter of when....and im guessing in about 2 years or so...
    Last edited by cinotimz; 01-12-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Roy's D isn't carrying our team. Paul's is, but Roy's D is still really really good.
    Roy is far more important to the D than PG is.

Thats not a knock on PG by any means, but when going up against LeBron/Wade ect...you need to have someone like Roy protecting the paint.

Thats wishful thinking...and not gonna happen...only way that happens is if Granger never recovers from injury...West is making 10 million right now...he signed a reduced contract coming off his major knee surgery...hes proven his worth and theres just no real way hes gonna continue to be ok with 10 million....now he might consider a shorter contract...maybe 3 years instead of 5...but to think hes gonna take what he took after his knee surgery just is not logical....hes the heart, soul and leader of this team to boot...and i can just hear you trying to tell Wests agent he needs to take 10...after he tells u youre paying HIbbert 15 and you want my guy to take 10????? same for Grangers agent....and that would require Danny take a significant paycut as he will be making 14 million next year...and both those guys max contracts are 35% of the cap since they will both be 10year vets...or around 20 million...

10 million ???? dreaming.....
    Both may get a contract starting at 10-11 and going to 12 at the end but not one single team is going to offer either player a contract peaking at 15 mil. We just have to pay market value to keep them. Name a team that would offer either of these guys 15 mil?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Both may get a contract starting at 10-11 and going to 12 at the end but not one single team is going to offer either player a contract peaking at 15 mil. We just have to pay market value to keep them. Name a team that would offer either of these guys 15 mil?
    You couldve said that exact same thing about Roy last year...in fact alot were...remind me how that turned out? remember something...the max that can be offered West and then to Danny is a deal starting at 19....thats right..19....

Cmon beast...youve been around too long and know how Walsh handles these situations....you really think hes gonna go to the heart, soul and leadership of the team and ask them to take a huge discount...especially after theyve already given a discount on their finishing deals....David West and his agent firmly believe they gave the Pacers a discount...and I have a feeling they and everyone else will feel hes earned a pretty rich deal....only way I think he gets 10 million a year is if they give him 5 years and 50...which I have a feeling the Pacers will not wanna go that long....time will tell...we will know in a matter of months....i think more than 10...u guys think less than...differing opinions...but Im going by how Walsh does things and I just dont see it...
    You don't seem to get it. When West signed with us, he wanted away from his present team. He had two, and as far as I know, ONLY two opportunities in front of him. Boston was offering him less money (I don't recall the duration) and the Pacers were offering him 20m/2 years. So, exactly how is that a discount? Where were all the other teams that were supposed to be throwing money at him?

To get a lot more money, you need teams capable and willing to show the quan. And even a couple of those teams are out there, are they destinations that West will accept? The man has already said that he is about winning and that this team is making very good progress maturing and becoming a contender. I believe West to be more "intellectual" than most players. I think he sees the possibility of a championship here and might be open to the needs of the Pacers dollar-wise to help make that happen. If that means that he might be wing to take 36m over 4 years rather than 10m for 3 years or even a little less, then yes, I do think a man like West could be open to it.

But I believe West is the key. If West is willing to do it, then a year later, I expect Granger to do the same a year later.

As for Walsh, he would have to see how close the Pacers are. I think he will do whatever he can not to eff that up. That means getting concessions, if possible.
    Last edited by beast23; 01-13-2013 at 12:55 AM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

If Roy Hibbert were to have made 2 more tip ins each game, he would have made 94 of his 59 tip in attempts.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post: