Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 183

Thread: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

  1. #1
    Member pacerfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Columbus IN
    Posts
    230
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    I'm wondering, (not advocating) if there are teams who would like to have Roy! I like Roy, his d and his pr, however is it possible we trade him before the deadline? I realize he is having an issue with his hand/back spasms, and this question is not really about what we would get in return, but rather, is it wise to go a different direction now? We could manage without him and losing his contract would free us up for this summer. I think Ian M. could do just fine. Thoughts?

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to pacerfreak For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacerfreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    however is it possible we trade him before the deadline?
    No.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,299

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Roy Hibbert is not going anywhere any time soon. For a vast array of reasons.

    It's really not worth discussing.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  6. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  7. #4
    Get well PG! DGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whiteland, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,035

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    His defense in the middle means a lot to us right now. You can see the way he redirects players driving into the lane when he is near the rim, usually altering or blocking a shot the first time and making them think twice if they come back for more. When Danny comes back I don't think Roy will have much of an offensive burden at all so hopefully that helps him to get out of his slump. He means more to us than he would to any other team not named Miami so we will most likely hold onto him.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

  8. #5
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy Hibbert is not going anywhere any time soon. For a vast array of reasons.

    It's really not worth discussing.
    Exactly.

    Hey, let's pull the ripcord while we are in the airplane bathroom, see how that goes.



    Settle down on Roy already. His defense is elite, he's been much better on offense in other seasons, and plenty of guys have had dings and issues that slowed them for periods of their career. Smits was constantly going up in down in quality based on scar tissue in his feet, and at times it seemed like it would never get better.

  9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Member pacerfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Columbus IN
    Posts
    230
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy Hibbert is not going anywhere any time soon. For a vast array of reasons.

    It's really not worth discussing.
    I thought this was a discussion board. Thanks for letting me know this is not worth discussing!

  11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pacerfreak For This Useful Post:


  12. #7

    Default

    Sure Roy's offense hasn't been as good as last year, but his elite defense has been a huge part of the reason we are where we are in the standings

  13. #8
    Member pacerfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Columbus IN
    Posts
    230
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly.

    Hey, let's pull the ripcord while we are in the airplane bathroom, see how that goes.



    Settle down on Roy already. His defense is elite, he's been much better on offense in other seasons, and plenty of guys have had dings and issues that slowed them for periods of their career. Smits was constantly going up in down in quality based on scar tissue in his feet, and at times it seemed like it would never get better.
    Why do you guys have to jump all over someone? I am not down on Roy at all. It is just a question that I was curious about. I will log off now!

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacerfreak For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Member sam kaiserblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Portland maybe.

    Although it seems like Golden State is the main team we trade with. Toronto second.

  16. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,045

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacerfreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought this was a discussion board. Thanks for letting me know this is not worth discussing!
    Not all discussion are created equal. But you are right this is a discussion board, and people are free to discuss topics how they see fit within the allowance of the owners. That means he can discuss the topic by saying your topic is stupid and not worth discussing. As long as the owner allows it his post is just as valid as your post.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,930

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Man everybody so sensitive around here these days.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  20. #12
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy Hibbert is not going anywhere any time soon. For a vast array of reasons.

    It's really not worth discussing.
    While I agree with your first statement, I'd like to suggest that maybe your second statement could've been worded a bit differently.

    You don't have to participate in the discussion, but I'd like to think that we could encourage those who probably lurk here quite a bit (joined in 2006, but less than 300 posts) to post more.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:


  22. #13
    Member Miller_time04's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Martinsville
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,304
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Lol why would anyone else want our max center that's playing like 8 mil under what he's worth? Your acting like the whole league isn't aware that he's struggling badly.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:


  24. #14
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,930

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    So a lot of people just apparently ignore what Roy does on Defense huh?

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  25. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  26. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    I said it in another thread but I will say it here again. Hibbert would turn Portland into legit contenders with his rim protection which is all that team is missing. If they had Hibbert and one more scorer off the bench that team would be scary come playoff time

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  28. #16
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Roy's defense is carrying our team.
    When Roy is playing good D, the pacers are.


    Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  29. #17
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,930

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Roy's D isn't carrying our team. Paul's is, but Roy's D is still really really good.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  31. #18
    Brian Mac_Daddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    University Heights
    Age
    28
    Posts
    569
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Is it wise to trade a good center that was just signed to a new contract while he's dealing with some injuries and still being pretty beastly on the defensive end? I'd think not.


  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mac_Daddy For This Useful Post:


  33. #19
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,320

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Hibbert will not be traded any time soon.
    He's our defensive anchor and basically the guy in the paint that makes opposing players think twice before they drive in for a dunk/layup. If he's out excpect our defense to suffer.

    There's one more reason: He isn't justifying his contract so his trade value isn't high, and there's no reason to trade someone if you get bad return. A max $$ guy who plays 28 mpg and scores 9 ppg on 40% FG isn't a real max guy, even if he's DPOY.

    So, if you add these two things up, then here's your answer to why he won't be traded
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:


  35. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    418

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Hmm. If we were "freed up" this summer then we would need to find a 7 footer that plays great D and rebounds the ball.
    He wouldn't necessarilly have to score a lot for us every night but be enough of a threat to keep the D honest against us.

    Guys like that would cost us a lot. 12-13 mil. per I'd guess if we could be lucky enough to find one.
    And if he has any untaped PO, is a good community guy and wants to improve then he'd be a max contract for sure.
    But if you want to be realy good that's a cost you pay.
    Looking around the league there are very few who fit that discription.

    A guy like Roy Hibbert comes to mind.
    Last edited by solid; 01-11-2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling error

  36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to solid For This Useful Post:


  37. #21
    Child Of Scorn MnvrChvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    419

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Pacersfreak,
    No worries man. I think it's worth discussing trading any of our players. I love these guys, but someone is going to be gone soon, and I'm curious to hear about possible ways we can be elite even after that happens.

  38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:


  39. #22
    Member pacerfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Columbus IN
    Posts
    230
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    I really thought I was clear in saying that I was not advocating trading Roy and that I like his D and pr ( the things he does away from the court). I feel as though we did overpay Roy and think it WILL have an effect on us down the road. I am not offended by those who feel the need to express themselves the way they did. It's just discouraging.

    Chicago J, Thx. I do lurk daily! I don't post often because of such great insight by most posters! I uaually don't feel i can add to the discussion. This thread is affirmation of that.

  40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacerfreak For This Useful Post:


  41. #23
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,930

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Everyone can add to the discussion. Most of us are idiots anyway.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  42. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  43. #24

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy's D isn't carrying our team. Paul's is, but Roy's D is still really really good.
    Paul and others said it themselves. They are able to play the tight D they are because they know if a man gets by them that Roy has their back. Plain and simple his is our anchor on D
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

    @LetsTalkPacers

  44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:


  45. #25
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,633

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thoughts on the appeal of Roy Hibbert to other teams?

    I'd be willing to trade him for Marc Gasol, DeMarcus Cousins, or Javale McGee (he shoots 56%, blocks 2 shots a game, and averages 10 ppg in only 19 minutes). I'm probably in the minority though.

    I like Roy and I love him when he's hitting his shots in the paint but I don't think he's irreplaceable.

  46. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-07-2012, 10:02 PM
  2. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-14-2012, 02:36 AM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 10:49 AM
  4. 5 NBA teams wish list (Hibbert to OKC)
    By BornReady#6 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-29-2010, 11:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •