Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Odd thoughts: Slaying the Knicks in honor of Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd thoughts: Slaying the Knicks in honor of Reggie Miller

I'm so glad I went to this game. There really was an electric energy in the building from start to finish. The tribute to Reggie was awesome. Also, I was marveling at how beautiful the Fieldhouse still looks. It's in its 14th season, but it looks like it could have opened yesterday. They keep that place sparkling and it is still one of the most beautiful venues in sports. The massive scoreboard and LED band have kept us up with the Jones's so to speak. I loved how we opened the curtains and showed off the beautiful glass windows. I bet the arena looked awesome lit up from the outside. Why do we always have those curtains closed BTW? What's the point of having beautiful glass windows if you're just going to always put curtains over them?

Paul George is becoming a star right before our very eyes. To think he is this good in his third season at only 22 years of age is just scary. He is going to be a force to be reckoned with in this league for a long time.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Past few games those curtains have been open Sollozzo. I am hoping it is a permanent thing. The banners look awesome framed against the windows when they turn the lights down for intros.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Past few games those curtains have been open Sollozzo. I am hoping it is a permanent thing. The banners look awesome framed against the windows when they turn the lights down for intros.
    Were they open last Saturday? I was at the Bucks game, but wasn't even paying attention to that. I made note of it last night though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Were they open last Saturday? I was at the Bucks game, but wasn't even paying attention to that. I made note of it last night though.
    I think they were.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

LOL. Yahoo sports headline. George leads Pacers over shorted Knicks. No mention of the fact that the Pacers were a bit short handed themselves.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Tyler is playing pretty weel right now IMO, might as well take advantage of it and maybe throw him a few more minutes a game to grab West some extra rest for the moment.

I hear ya, but when I say rest I mean not playing those games. No need to play DWest against the Bobcats who are a 9 win team. There is a reason the Pacers have a bench with 10 other players on it. Plumjam as Hibbert's b/u freeing Mahinmi to play some PF with Tyler. Use JP/McGuire too. Take advantage of the situation to get DWest some needed rest. He can still dress, but only be used IF ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

I'm so glad I went to this game. There really was an electric energy in the building from start to finish. The tribute to Reggie was awesome. Also, I was marveling at how beautiful the Fieldhouse still looks. It's in its 14th season, but it looks like it could have opened yesterday. They keep that place sparkling and it is still one of the most beautiful venues in sports. The massive scoreboard and LED band have kept us up with the Jones's so to speak. I loved how we opened the curtains and showed off the beautiful glass windows. I bet the arena looked awesome lit up from the outside. Why do we always have those curtains closed BTW? What's the point of having beautiful glass windows if you're just going to always put curtains over them?

Paul George is becoming a star right before our very eyes. To think he is this good in his third season at only 22 years of age is just scary. He is going to be a force to be reckoned with in this league for a long time.
    Last night was my 124th consecutive home game, yet I still get that same excited feeling every time I walk into BLF. It truly is a beautiful place.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Leave it to Vnzla to drag everyone down, bravo good job.
    "Drag everyone down" lol cry me a river....

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

EDIT: Damn it you edited the post lol

As far as the curtains, they were open the first couple of seasons every game (although maybe not day games) but I remember all of a sudden they started having themn closed for every game in year 3 or so. I forget why. Two ideas as coming to my mind, certainly light getting in is a issue, but I have a very vague memory of terrorist concerns as well. Maybe I am dreaming the second part.

I love when the curtains are open though

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    As far as the curtains, they were open the first couple of seasons every game (although maybe not day games) but I remember all of a sudden they started having themn closed for every game in year 3 or so. I forget why. Two ideas as coming to my mind, certainly light getting in is a issue, but I have a very vague memory of terrorist concerns as well. Maybe I am dreaming the second part.

I love when the curtains are open though
    I've wondered if they change how you have to heat and cool it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I'm so glad I went to this game.
    So you changed your mind on the whole Melo isn't playing aspect?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    Why the heck did this turn out to be a Novak discussion anyway?
    Somebody had an Odd thought?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

My favorite thing in basketball after my team looking so good that they can't be stopped on both ends is watching the opposing team slowly realize they can't do anything they want on offense. Last night was one of the latter. This Pacers D is so much fun to watch. We imposed our will upon them. The best player for New York last night missed 19 shots. That says it all.

I also think last night was the most Pacers gear I've seen in the crowd at a Pacers game since the early 2000s, besides the free t-shirts of the Heat series of course. That's another sign that the city has embraced the team.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    My favorite thing in basketball after my team looking so good that they can't be stopped on both ends is watching the opposing team slowly realize they can't do anything they want on offense. Last night was one of the latter. This Pacers D is so much fun to watch. We imposed our will upon them. The best player for New York last night missed 19 shots. That says it all.

I also think last night was the most Pacers gear I've seen in the crowd at a Pacers game since the early 2000s, besides the free t-shirts of the Heat series of course. That's another sign that the city has embraced the team.
    To be fair, a lot of that gear was from the early 2000's (and before) since Reggie was back in the building.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I would, but then you'd probably complain that the river was flowing too slow and you'd want to change canoes.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    To be fair, a lot of that gear was from the early 2000's (and before) since Reggie was back in the building.
    Yes there was a lot of Reggie stuff but I also saw a bunch of David West shirts and Paul George jerseys too. Also I like to imagine that some of those retro jerseys were just purchased. I refuse to by jerseys of current players because it's bad luck so I only own a Reggie Flo Jo that I wear to games.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post

Well then people need to start going to games, help convince Simon that this team is worth spending money on to keep together. Although I expect now that the Colts season is over, we should see a bump. And after March of course I would hope to see another bump

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D0NT SH0OT ME View Post
    Let's not get too enamored with Pendergraph just because he made a few shots. He may have played well offensively, but he gave up at least 5 offensive rebounds to the Knicks when he was in due to his complete inability to box out. Hopefully Frank points it out to him when they go over film because it really is just inexcusable for a player of his size to not even attempt to body up his man after a shot attempt.
    He also blew that cut to the rim that Lance set him up for and had to watch Lance's pass whiz out the baseline instead.

The one thing I liked about Jeff's night was the smooth hook shot he put together for a bucket. That was a solid, intentional scoring play rather than scrum scraps.

Green's ability to play vertical is just way too overlooked. There are times that he comes to help on BIGS and can leap enough to force a pass or bad shot. He does the same thing on rebounds, not always getting the board himself but still being able to go up and contend someone else having a shot at the easy board. He doesn't love the 3 and he doesn't throw passes away left and right. He's a little bit out of synch on offense and that costs them maybe 2 trips a game. It's not ideal, but he's not far off. And this is the person that's been saying Ian wasn't far off and that lately he's been playing better, prior to the NYK game.

DJ is the only bench guy I'm really concerned with because despite a couple of "made some shots" games he basically looks useless out there. I greatly prefer to see Lance running PnR plays or drive and kicks. IMO Lance had clearly surpassed DJ as an offensively creative PG type, let alone scoring guard or defensively.

This was for me West's finest defensive game yet. He's really dialing it in. If you watch him closely on defense you'll see him tipping, deflecting, disrupting and challenging all sorts of stuff. He was critical in turning guys away last night when they would use a pick to clear away from Paul or Hill, basically doing a lot of work Roy would do. He had one really nice block from behind when he dropped down to help as someone (forget the exact play) got turned away from the baseline to the lane. It wasn't an obvious play either, it was a West read of what was unfolding.

Yes he looks a little tired on some of his short shots, but he's also getting really physically moved around, to the point that the one foul he finally drew in the post involved him being THROW OUT OF BOUNDS with a 2 handed waist grab and yank...and it wasn't the only time Chandler/Camby did that too him.

Sorry Peck and Buck, but I like this defensive play more than you guys do. The reason is because it's a better unison of team than the JO/Ron defensive teams. It's less about a couple of great stoppers and a slow pace and more about working together as a unit. Paul gets beat, everyone else definitely gets beat. Or picks are set or screens are used. And then there's TEAMMATE B that shows up. And when the ball heads to his man he's met by TEAMMATE C. And so on.

In fact the biggest reason they missed on some defensive boards last night was because every guy was moved out of position to help on defense since they'd forced the Knicks to move the ball so much.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

One other thing on the crowd. Apart from the playoffs, I can't think of too many games in the last 5-6 years where the crowd was standing, UNPROMPTED (usually M_G has to yell them up) from basically the anthem to the tip, which btw is WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO YOU SOBs! And I didn't see anyone NOT standing last night. It was crazy.

Now over by the Pacers bench area we usually have decent participation, but only G2/A55 usually have it fully together.

It seemed like there were a lot of "old timers" or what I should call "normal ticket holders". For example Sign Guy Matt was there with his signs and he hasn't made a lot of games I've been to this year. So the vibe I got was that most of the actual ticket holders were at the game, were into it and of course knew the routine. There probably weren't as many ticket "hop ons" as you get most nights...no thanks to "give 'em away" BillS at least.

I also noticed that the garage was sold out and there was a big line to park in the lot next door that was backed up Alabama. They were only letting parking pass holders go up the ramp by the time we got there. That usually indicates bigger walk-up or single game sales. Also I thought Will-Call and the Penn Ave entrance were both abnormally full, making me again think there were some special sales or last second sales. I know Pritch Tweeted a Club promo for cheap the other day.

Whatever they did, the combination had the place full of people who were extremely focused on being there to watch the Pacers. There was some orange, but not much. Not bad for a Melo game that only stopped being a Melo game at the last second, way too late for Melo fans to easily bail out.

And let's not overlook the impact that winning decisively in front of close-to-capacity crowds does for overall buzz and sales. Last year they dropped the Miami game with a packed house and undermined their own buzz during the season. This time around they might have even sold a few extra Bobcats tickets.

Knicks didn't have Melo. Miami was coasting. These games were meaningless. Actually they were two L's Pacers are 20-16.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

How much did the 8:17 PM tip time have to do with the buzz before the game and the excitement before the game started? Also noticed how it seemed every seat was occupied at tipoff where as for the typical 7:00 start seems as though around maybe 70% of sold seats occupied as people just haven't arrived yet or they are in the building but not in their seats

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I love the 8pm tips. 7pm is a freaking chore if you work. You feel like you are always on a schedule. With 8pm, dinner, drinks, and time to be in your seats well before intros is easily accomplished.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

The move from 7:30 tipoffs to 7:00pm -- what was that, a decade ago now? -- was thirty minutes in the wrong direction.

And I don't just say that because these tip off at 6pm CT and I'm darn lucky if I'm on a 6:10 train to get home (6:40 and 7:40 are more likely).

(At least with LP Mobile I can listen to Mark/Slick on the train.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

billbradley

Did they change this for families? Because that doesn't make sense to me. Most people with kids seem to leave early anyway.

Last night was awesome. I'm surprised I didn't see more "Thank You Reggie" signs from his last game. I def had mine up!