Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Knicks Postgame Thread 1/10/13

Default Re: Pacers/Knicks Postgame Thread 1/10/13

I think David West is tired. He carried the team for a large part of the season, and I think he used more energy than he should have. He plays a very wearing style of basketball.

He's really the last player on the roster I'd worry about.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, think Larry Bird is motivated to get back? I wish there was some way to convince brian shaw to stay around as an assistant. Seems to have a mega influence on Paul George and George Hill.
    And Lance. ESPECIALLY Lance.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I think David West is tired. He carried the team for a large part of the season, and I think he used more energy than he should have. He plays a very wearing style of basketball.

Yeah he just needs the All-Star Break.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    JR Smith wasn't limping, he was walking funny because he threw out his shoulder by overdoing it on the freaking CHUCKING.

The dude was awful. There was a point from the late 3rd to the mid 4th when he darn near took every shot except offensive rebound putbacks. A couple of times he dished after 15 seconds of And-1 tryouts. I'm in shouting distance so I like to think he heard every "shoot, your open" and "you know you have teammates don't you" and of course "black hole".

I suspect at one of the mid 4th timeouts they designed a play to move the ball specifically out of his hands in order to get him to stop trying to go right at Paul.

David West made a ton of huge defensive plays. I don't know how much gets picked up on TV, but he was all over the place. He'd defend a dribble and then on ball rotation he'd crash down to the rim to tip a ball away or deny a shot. Certainly Camby got some early, forced makes to go against him, but West had a couple of blocks and a few more challenged shots, plus some deflections and disruptions.

Don't think the defense is all Paul and Roy. Half the game Roy wasn't out there and Hill was under the weather noticeably. West is putting on a defensive effort on par with Paul, minus Paul's quickness/length.

Peck and I have been bullish on Ian from day 1. Frankly I didn't understand the questioning of his game. You can see his smoothness and power. He just has some raw instincts on defense at times and inconsistent hands. But in every other way he's legit, and smart defense and hands are both very correctable with more playing time (not more MPG, just more games I mean).

Freaking Paul is so smooth going to the rim at this point. I can't recall an NBA Pacer that smooth. Vern I suppose. Mully and Det and Chuck were serviceable attackers who lived with good set shots and touch, Reggie was smooth moving into jump shots and floaters, but not really quite attacking the rim. Ron was all bull of course. JO had spins and post game, but not a drive.

To me Paul is the closest looking player to a Drexler type the NBA Pacers have had. He had a couple scores driving to the rim tonight that just looked graceful.

Right after the JR/Lance double T they came down right in front of us and Lance was visibly pissed. I was worried he was going to try and prove a point with a flashy, playground mess that would backfire on him. Instead he locked in and made several strong team plays after that. He was beating himself up when Copeland or Smith scored on him, but I thought he made pretty good attempts at stopping them.

The best moment that never was when he made that nasty move and almost pulled off a great assists. The crowd loudly "ooh'd" because it was coming off of Lance getting roughed up yet again. It would have brought the house down before Roy's block did.

Anyway, I'm very proud of Lance's on-court maturity. I had my doubts, but his composure and effort to round out his TEAM game and back off some of the fancy-for-nothing plays is what is making him a solid 6th man. Learning who you really are and identifying your limits and opportunities is often tough, but Lance seems to be doing it.

After that blocked shot Roy was in massive pain. He came over by us and rode the bike the rest of the night and looked moderately okay. But at one point Pritch and trainer Josh were discussing something during a timeout and I'm guessing it was his health/status.

Ian overshadowed Pendy, but Jeff had a couple of smooth looking post attacks on the night and in general was as much as you'd hope from his role. It felt good knowing there were guys ready on the bench.

I half expected George to puke at any moment. I don't know how he felt but it looked like he felt terrible. You'll note how little he tried to dribble attack or rebound, and often relegated himself to spotting up for jumpers and doing a token effort on defense to keep them honest. But that wasn't normal #3 out there tonight.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Yeah he just needs the All-Star Break.
    Honestly I wouldn't be opposed to playing Mahinmi and Tyler quite a bit against the Bobcats. I think both him and Hibbert could use a mini break before the ASB

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

I'm sorry, but Paul George should be getting credit for that, not JR Smith. Paul suffocated JR, putting him in positions where he had to shoot because the clock was running down.

That was a defensive clinic from Paul George, from closeouts to passing lanes to one on one. That was DPOY worthy.
    Yes, but the problem is that JR Smith refused to pass no matter who was on him and no matter how long he tried to get free off the dribble. He insisted on forcing his own action even in the face of Paul. To be fair he hit a couple of tough shots going right at Paul.

But the game turned for NYK, albeit too late, when they finally got JR to give up the rock late in the 4th. JR Smith is a classic ball-hogging jack a** that I'd never, ever want on the Pacers. I don't know why Chandler even bothered coming down to the offensive end for about 8 minutes straight.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Banned

West is putting on a defensive effort on par with Paul, minus Paul's quickness/length.
    Not sure if serious.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Yes, but the problem is that JR Smith refused to pass no matter who was on him and no matter how long he tried to get free off the dribble. He insisted on forcing his own action even in the face of Paul. To be fair he hit a couple of tough shots going right at Paul.

But the game turned for NYK, albeit too late, when they finally got JR to give up the rock late in the 4th. JR Smith is a classic ball-hogging jack a** that I'd never, ever want on the Pacers. I don't know why Chandler even bothered coming down to the offensive end for about 8 minutes straight.
    He was their only option what do you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Not sure if serious.
    I know it's hard to believe but he really is. I was shocked too.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Id imagine Plumlee and Pendy will be getting some minutes in CHA
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Honestly I wouldn't be opposed to playing Mahinmi and Tyler quite a bit against the Bobcats. I think both him and Hibbert could use a mini break before the ASB
    West is just getting attacked hard on offense. You could see the Knicks pull him on the waist (and Roy) every single time they got in the post. That's how they'd defend the post, just grab and pull the guy back out of position. For the life of me I don't know why they wouldn't call it. In fact Roy had his entire jersey pulled off by Chandler on like the 2nd possession of the game, no call.

Not to mention that Camby and Chandler both have length on West which makes them tough to score over.

Anyway, West is another guy that will benefit from Danny's return. One more attack point that keeps teams from going so hard at David. But Ian continuing to improve would also help quite a bit just due to the rest it would give him.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Wow I'm amazed that PG credit JOB for his defensive prowess...well I'll give credit where credit is due, thanks way to go JOB!

Once PG gets more respect from the refs, his points and percentages are only going to go higher. Can't wait!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    https://twitter.com/ByNateTaylor/sta...01589415661568

@ByNateTaylor
    Quick updates: JR Smith was limping, Tyson Chandler has neck pain & Marcus Camby was in a walking boot on crutches.

And there's my icing on the cake......
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Apparently Knicks still can withstand a Pacers beating. Same beating different decade.

@LetsTalkPacers

Sports Logo

I'm leaning towards some lingering injury. He's missing shots that he was hitting all year long. Add in that he doesn't have to shoulder the offense as much lately with PG24 catching fire....something else has to be going on.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Damn
    BTW, none of them went to the locker room TWICE for a back problem, the 2nd time after getting knocked to the court by Chandler after blocking his shot.

And all of them were playing at normal speed right to the end. I didn't see Camby hobbling around or Chandler unable to move his neck or JR Smith doing anything other than trying to make the next 18 second dribble to chuck shot demo reel. Suddenly the buzzer goes and it's the walking wounded.

Not to mention that they were way more physical on defense than the Pacers. The only Knick hitting the floor was Kurt Flopping Thomas and that was only because he was too old to remember how to stand. #Lifealert

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    West is just getting attacked hard on offense. You could see the Knicks pull him on the waist (and Roy) every single time they got in the post. That's how they'd defend the post, just grab and pull the guy back out of position. For the life of me I don't know why they wouldn't call it. In fact Roy had his entire jersey pulled off by Chandler on like the 2nd possession of the game, no call.

Not to mention that Camby and Chandler both have length on West which makes them tough to score over.

Anyway, West is another guy that will benefit from Danny's return. One more attack point that keeps teams from going so hard at David. But Ian continuing to improve would also help quite a bit just due to the rest it would give him.
    PG also got hit hard on 3 or 4 of his drives to the hoop. And to boot for most of the second half he just stood in the corner on offense. He looked exhausted, but then he went down to the other side of the court and acted like there was nothing going on. Mahinmi got blatantly pushed and was called for a foul. Had Lance hit a chair with his head JR would have been kicked out of the game in the first half.

At least they allowed some physicality from us on everybody but JR of course. But for anybody wondering why he was going 1 on 5 the whole time... anytime they tried actual offense we just pushed the ball out well past the 3 point line and they ended up with a TO or a heavily contested shot. At least w/ JR's 1 man show they weren't turning the ball over.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Idk bout dominating....and losing Melo AND Felton is a pretty big loss for NY
    Not my prob bruh..... A win is a win is a win. IMO these are the type of games we usually lose. If we keep winning games we are supposed to everything else will fall in place
    Impossible Is Nothing

This has been a great week for the pacers. We're on a 3 game winning streak, Miami's lost 2 in a row, NY's lost two in a row, Atlanta's lost 4 in a row, and Chicago's lost their last 1. That's your top 5 in the east, folks.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    No.

Those are MVP numbers.
    Exactly. As retweeted by JayRedd tonight there have only been 26 games with those numbers since 1985. And only 4 other times did it also feature only 1 TO. That's ALL players against all cruddy teams and injured player teams and all the other situations that have been. Jordan playing vs Vancouver and Bird vs the 1986 Pacers. So the whole "yeah but no Felton or Melo" doesn't really cut it in explaining it away.

Paul went off in a whole bunch of ways, one of which included his main opponent going 10-29 while trying to prove something against him.

The questions on Paul making the ASG are over. It's happening, there is no question at all anymore. West has slumped his way out of the game unless the Pacers can push into a solid #2 standing and earn the 2nd AS rep, and Dave will have to steady his numbers again as well. No hate there, just the facts. Paul is hot at the right time and in more ways, but both have been epic for this team at times.

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I'm a little late at the party. Great win by the Pacers!

PG is not a beast...HE'S THE BEAST!!!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

What we saw tonight was another great team effort, which included a "Mahimni-am Rhapsody" and excellent energy from Jeff P. I like Jeff P. He is still raw, and really could have used more mentoring from someone like Jeff Foster in setting picks and doing some of the little things at the top of the key, but he's a hard worker with a good attitude and I love the fact that Frank has faith and is willing to give him some minutes as he's done the past few games, even when Roy was not having back spasms.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    He was their only option what do you expect?
    Aren't the Knicks supposed to be a deep team?

JR wasn't their only option. Prigioni with Chandler PnR. Ball movement to open up a Novak 3. Kidd setting up Chris Copeland.

That's the same excuse that the Lakers use when Kobe takes a bazillion of shots. There are always options. You just don't pass to them.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I'm leaning towards some lingering injury. He's missing shots that he was hitting all year long. Add in that he doesn't have to shoulder the offense as much lately with PG24 catching fire....something else has to be going on.
    It's possible. It looks like most of his misses are short and flat though.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers84 View Post
    Id imagine Plumlee and Pendy will be getting some minutes in CHA
    I'd just love it if Plums was to get some run.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post: