Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Grizzlies Looking to Trade Rudy Gay (Pacers Mentioned)

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Exclamation Report: Grizzlies Looking to Trade Rudy Gay (Pacers Mentioned)

Sources Grizzlies Explore Rudy Gay Trade Scenarios - RealGM Wiretap

Quote Originally Posted by RealGM Wiretap
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Memphis Grizzlies have held preliminary trade talks over the past few weeks centered on Rudy Gay, according to sources.

John Hollinger and Jason Levien have recently joined the Grizzlies' front office, while Chris Wallace's level of influence on personnel decisions is unclear.

Gay signed an $84 million contract in 2010 and is making $16.4 million this season.

Gay's name also surfaced in trade rumors before the 2012 NBA Draft.

Via Zach Lowe/Grantland

The Pacers are mentioned as one of Zach Lowe's long-shot scenarios, but then, he mentions 15 of the league's 30 teams.

The Rudy Gay Dilemma: If He's Dealt, Where Will He Land? - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Lowe
    Indiana Pacers

This would be an interesting theoretical if Danny Granger’s expiring contract were healthy to work as the centerpiece of a Gay deal, but even then, there are a ton of things working against a swap that would land Indy another centerpiece type. Paul George has already shifted to the three in Granger’s absence, and is doing fine. The Pacers are only about $3.5 million under the tax, and finding a two-team deal that leaves them under and drags Memphis under requires some monster cap trickery.

Landing Gay would also wipe out Indy’s potential cap room this summer, but David West’s cap hold effectively does that anyway. If they lose West outright, what happens next?

All of this amounts to a long shot, as are almost any potential deals involving a player making this much money. But Memphis will try to deal Gay, and it'll be fun to watch.

Default Re: Report: Grizzlies Looking to Trade Rudy Gay (Pacers Mentioned)

I don't think Zach Lowe has a clue about how the Pacers handle their finances. Due to Gay's salary (in 2 years it will be over 19M), there is no way in hell even Walsh would bring him on board. It would mean giving up Granger outright and then having a problem this summer signing West while staying under the tax, as well as next year signing George while trying to stay under the cap.

Will not happen. No how. No way.

3. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I came across this and it's very unlikely Memphis will even trade Rudy away, contract aside.

He's their main go-to guy and they've been very successful this season. They could make a deep playoff run and for a long time like us.

As far as us taking him, beast23 said it well, first and foremost, we need to keep our team intact and at least have some cap room moving forward before making a big deal involving a lot of money in acquiring Rudy Gay and trading one of our top players.

So no and very likely no to the fact that Memphis will even trade him.
    Last edited by Trophy; 01-05-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I came across this and it's very unlikely Memphis will even trade Rudy away, contract aside.

He's their main go-to guy and they've been very successful this season. They could make a deep playoff run and for a long time like us.

As far as us taking him, beast23 said it well, first and foremost, we need to keep our team intact and at least have some cap room moving forward before making a big deal involving a lot of money in acquiring Rudy Gay and trading one of our top players.

Yeah, I don't buy it at all. The timing is too strange. You don't try to move your best player who is in his prime when you have a Top 5 team in the West.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post

I think that they will try to move him but ( as you suggest ) won't get any takers either due to his contract and/or they don't get good value for him. The Grizzlies will be over the LT in 2013-2014. If they can get ( as I suggested ) a package that starts at an Expiring Contract, draft pick and Starting Quality SF at a rookie Contract that can contribute at a high level...I can see them doing it. They won't dump him for expiring....but they won't just take any Player just to clear the Cap.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

I doubt Memphis is the one who is actively trying to trade him. I don't even think this is really news or even a rumor.

It seems like Zach Lowe is trying to fabricate some trades he thinks could happen due to Rudy's contract, but very unlikely anything even happens.

Memphis isn't a borderline playoff team/contender either so I don't think they'll move any of their top guys. They knew what they were getting into by signing these players and it's paid off well for them so far.

Additionally, they're built like us. They clearly want to keep their starting 5 together for a long time like we do.

As far as any trade, they'll listen like every team does, but they won't try and fix anything if it's not broken.
    Last edited by Trophy; 01-05-2013 at 10:06 PM.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We can't afford him, Hibbert, and Paul George in 3 years. It is that plan. That is not factoring in West, Lance, or any other rotational players.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    I don't think Zach Lowe has a clue about how the Pacers handle their finances. Due to Gay's salary (in 2 years it will be over 19M), there is no way in hell even Walsh would bring him on board. It would mean giving up Granger outright and then having a problem this summer signing West while staying under the tax, as well as next year signing George while trying to stay under the cap.

Will not happen. No how. No way.
    He has a fine grasp of the Pacers' finances, which is why he placed the Pacers at the bottom of a list of about 20 teams.

Title of the thread and the presentation in the original post is a little misleading in this regard.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    Yeah, I don't buy it at all. The timing is too strange. You don't try to move your best player who is in his prime when you have a Top 5 team in the West.
    To a certain extent....the Thunder did the same thing with Harden. Yes, the Thunder already have one of the best Players in the League, as well as one of the top 10 PGs and whatever you want to refer to Ibaka as.....but they chose to jettison a RFA like Harden ( I assume ) because they where concerned about the impact that his likely contract negotiations would have on the 2013-2014 Salary cap.

IMHO....the purpose of floating Gay out there in the Trading Block is to see what his value is and what they can get for him...specifically a deal that is probably similar what Harden got....or AT THE VERY LEAST....some deal that allows them to shed most of Gay's contract while getting back one ( probably ) two 1st Round Picks and a Player that can immediately contribute on a high level at a Rookie salary.

I know that the Grizzlies don't have 2 Elite Level Players ( like the Thunder ) to make for the loss of a Borderline All-Star Player like Gay....but it's IMHO purely for Financial reasons. IMHO....some Team looking to get to the next level will make some "Two 1st Round Draft picks + Prospect + Expiring Contract" offer to the Grizzlies and my guess is that they will bite...or something else like the Hawks offering JSmoove+future 1st for Rudy Gay....which makes sense for both Teams...to a certain extent.

From what I can tell what happened this Off-Season......Teams and Owners are afraid of the LT....enough to consider making moves like this.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-06-2013 at 01:45 AM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Banned

Rudy makes sense to the Lakers, they need to get younger and athletic, Nash,Kobe,Artest,Gay and Howard?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Rudy makes sense to the Lakers, they need to get younger and athletic, Nash,Kobe,Artest,Gay and Howard?
    So are you saying that the Grizzlies are going to once again help the Lakers and now take Pau Gasol off of their hands at the end of his career?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nash, Kobe, Artest, Gay, and Howard is still a terrible defensive team.

And what exactly would the Grizzlies do with Pau Gasol?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

You got Gay playing the 4???? He isn't Marion, he can't guard the 4 and when the rest of your conference has monsters (Love, Lee, griffin) playing the 4 I am not sure it's a good time to be experimental.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    So are you saying that the Grizzlies are going to once again help the Lakers and now take Pau Gasol off of their hands at the end of his career?
    That trade did net them Marc Gasol so long term it may haven't as been as bad as previously thought.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Gasol would have to go to a 3rd team, for example Gasol to Minny, Rudy to LA and AK47+ Luke+Dwill to Memphis.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Title of the thread and the presentation in the original post is a little misleading in this regard.
    Not really, no.

From the opening post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    The Pacers are mentioned as one of Zach Lowe's long-shot scenarios, but then, he mentions 15 of the league's 30 teams.
    I mentioned we were listed as a long-shot scenario, and that he listed half the league's teams, literally. I'm not sure what's so misleading about that.

Gasol would have to go to a 3rd team, for example Gasol to Minny, Rudy to LA and AK47+ Luke+Dwill to Memphis.
    AK47 + D.Will seems like too much for Gasol at this point.

Sports Logo

I doubt that the Grizzlies do this....the likely reason to trade Gay would be to help clear 2013-2014 Salary....adding AK47, Ridnour and Derrick Williams would not do that. Add in that I doubt that the Grizzlies would trade Gay to a Western Conference Team that the Grizzlies will likely face in the Playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Not really, no.

From the opening post:

I mentioned we were listed as a long-shot scenario, and that he listed half the league's teams, literally. I'm not sure what's so misleading about that.
    I apologize--didn't mean it as a personal attack. The layout was, as I said (and meant literally) originally, a little misleading because the entire article was not posted and, in the title, it appears as if the Pacers would be mentioned as one of the top teams to go after him. Again, sorry for the confusion. I guess my post was misleading.

Mood

The only way the Pacers would get Gay (Or any other $15M-$20M a year player) is by giving up on West and Granger, and potentially needing to move Hibbert.

You already have Hill for $8M
    Hibbert for $15M
    George for $16M (Assuming he does a similar deal to Harden 80M/5 years)

That's $40M, or 60% of the cap, in those 3 players. If you acquire Gay and his yearly average of $18M, you're left with about $2M plus all the little loopholes etc.

So, you have to believe that a team featuring Hill/PG/Gay/Roy and a bunch of veteran min guys can contend.

EDIT: If I remember correctly, it can be assumed Indiana won't exceed $65M-$70M in total payroll, which would mean they'd have $7M-$12M ish available. Still, my original point stands, you'd need to fill in 8-10 guys with likely less than $10M available. PASS.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; 01-07-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Granger for Gay straight up would actually get the Grizzlies either just under or just over the LT line, depending on which site's salary info you believe. It would also put us right under or just over the LT ourselves. Once again, depending on what site you prefer. Either way, the Grizzlies take a downgrade in athleticism for an upgrade in shooting on the perimeter, which actually suits their team needs more than us. Gay gives us another slasher who is a capable shooter from range. He gives us more length and more athleticism. The defensive ability of our team would be outstanding trying to defend those douches down south. We take about a $25M hit, with $19M coming in the final year of Gay's deal and about $3M difference over the next two years. I would take that chance honestly. I love Granger, but Gay puts us in another stratosphere defensively next to George.

I'm not speculating or anything, just giving a little more detail to the idea of a Granger-for-Gay based trade. Add in a third team who would be willing to take a contract from Memphis and I believe they would be willing to make this deal.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    Granger for Gay straight up would actually get the Grizzlies either just under or just over the LT line, depending on which site's salary info you believe. It would also put us right under or just over the LT ourselves. Once again, depending on what site you prefer. Either way, the Grizzlies take a downgrade in athleticism for an upgrade in shooting on the perimeter, which actually suits their team needs more than us. Gay gives us another slasher who is a capable shooter from range. He gives us more length and more athleticism. The defensive ability of our team would be outstanding trying to defend those douches down south. We take about a $25M hit, with $19M coming in the final year of Gay's deal and about $3M difference over the next two years. I would take that chance honestly. I love Granger, but Gay puts us in another stratosphere defensively next to George.

I'm not speculating or anything, just giving a little more detail to the idea of a Granger-for-Gay based trade. Add in a third team who would be willing to take a contract from Memphis and I believe they would be willing to make this deal.
    Really?

I think we would downgrade defensively swapping Granger for Gay...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Banned

@WojYahooNBA: Y! Sources: Memphis, Phoenix engaged in trade discussions on Rudy Gay. http://t.co/LAjz9tNY

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    Really?

I think we would downgrade defensively swapping Granger for Gay...
    Uhh, no.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Banned

There's no framework of a possible deal in place, but the Grizzlies have expressed a strong desire that any package involving Gay include Suns forward Jared Dudley and future first-round draft picks, sources said.
    Dudley? lol