Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad Ford Chat

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Default Re: Chad Ford Chat

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger for Barnes, Jefferson and a 1st maybe 2 would be something I can get on board with. Makes sense for both teams would suck to take on Jefferson but gotta do it to make money work.

EDIT: Although if I am GS not sure I do it Harrison is well on his way to being a Danny Granger level player or better. I would likely just keep Barnes myself.
    True, but Jefferson could be moved to a 3rd team.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jeez this **** gets old.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would like to keep Danny. If his play drops off and you can resign him in 2014 for a Hill type contract then great. But if that is not going to work and he is less productive than even last year, what about the Mayo trade does not make sense.

If Danny is a 14ppg/4rpg/41%Fg/36%3pt then the better player is Mayo. And throwing in a late 1st would sweeten the pot. If Lance is better in the longterm, then one of them can come off the bench.

I've talked to other people about this in person but I'll throw this out here right now. Nobody is going to like this but I wonder if Danny isn't plan B if they fail to re-sign David West.

Think about it for a min. Danny frequently over the years has played the 4 and there are very few 4's who can just over power him.

A front court of Danny, Paul & Roy is not the worst thing I've ever heard and this would still allow Lance to stay with the starting 5 (which honestly is probably a good thing). You'd lose low post play without a doubt but if we're being honest here we would improve on defense. Rebounding would probably drop a board or two but not as much as you might think.

I'm not saying this is plan A (signing and keeping West is plan A) but if he demands a really high $$ amount to re-sign then you've already got Danny under contract and you can use that money to tweak other spots on the floor.

Also under no circumstance do I ever want to see or hear about Ed Davis for Danny Granger. This is the only memory I will ever have of the two.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Chad Ford has predicted Danny's imminent trade every season for years.
    I especially like the part where Danny returns, proves he's near the same level as PG (ie, borderline AS, though PG might move past that) and then suddenly the Pacers say "good lord, with everyone locked up, West resigned for 10 per, we gotta get rid of this monster 5 group and start over".

Outsiders have wanted to solve a non-existent problem for years. If Danny comes back good enough to demand high trade value then it will mean that they are a title contender. There is no way a borderline star added to this current squad is not a title contender, which is the F-bombing goal of the whole thing.

If Rose comes back even a little healthy then the Bulls should totally trade him ASAP because the Bulls have done pretty well without him. Oh, when it's another team we don't think like insane people? I forget the rules sometimes.

Ford has had a hard-on for a Danny trade more than anyone. Total speculation on his part.

8. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I think what Ford is saying is correct. I don't think the Pacers will trade Danny just because Paul is as good or better or any of that. Most likely it will come down to a money issue . Can we afford to pay both Danny and Paul that much money and have a bench or West or any other decent players (besides what we already have in Hill and Roy)
    Yes. You have a couple of lower rookie deals, a couple of Min LE type deals like they had with Young, and can still keep Ian.

You have to let Tyler go, obviously DJ is gone and maybe you end up having to deal Green. That's where you get Paul's extra money. West just stays where he is at.

You DO NOT GO 10 DEEP with that starting 5. It's not been good the last 2 years and we should stop trying to want to see it happen. If you've got Ian, Lance, Orlando + a couple of generic scraps and you are fine.

If you keep West for only 3 years then as he and Danny rotate into the "too old" area you are getting out from under their cost just as it happens. If you have nicely staggered contracts then you always have someone coming off as someone gets added.

Now, if they flame out in the first round with a healthy Danny and feel like the current construction isn't good then all bets are off. But if a Danny Pacers team goes hard in the ECF or Finals then you ain't trading the dude.

If you are trading Danny then you are giving up talent, period. NO ONE IS GIVING YOU A STAR FOR DANNY, not one with a better, cheaper contract. It doesn't work that way. So what we are talking about is the team as we have NOW without Danny, swapped for a variation of DJ at point and a 10-15 pick. That's the only way you move Danny to reduce costs because you obviously can't take back a similar contract and other teams won't do you a favor.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-09-2013 at 02:52 PM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I could be wrong, but I really get the feeling that West likes it here and he isn't someone I see the front office let walking, but who knows. Either way, I don't like the idea of Granger playing PF. I'm more traditional than most though.

I love the fact, that it is hard for me to name what I'd want in a Granger trade, because I love this team so much. I don't feel like we need to change our starting lineup at all. I love the potential of Stephenson and George. Hibbert has been a monster on defense, and West/Hill bring a lot of leadership and clutch play. Our starting 5 outdoes most teams.

That said, our problem is lying on the bench, but even they have improved greatly lately. I guess I would shoot for a young PF and/or wing player. Ed Davis and Terrence Ross are two people I really like from the Raptors, but I don't think we'd be able to get both. Also, Ross is someone who needs to be a starter down the road, and I don't see that opportunity here with Stephenson and George which makes it tricky. Even Ed Davis, while I love his game/defense/potential - I love what Hansbrough brings to this team off the bench.

The only real holes in our team are Green when he is inconsistent(which is a lot, even if I think he'll get it together) and Augustin(who has started to get it together). I don't know. I love this team though, more than I can remember liking a Pacers team since pre-brawl.

If we do go the Warriors route, I would love to see Brandon Rush be one of the pieces coming back though. :-)

Harden
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't want any part of trading Granger, but if we could some how get Klay Thompson? Oh man, that'd be something to think about.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

Im going to say this in both threads.

Isn't it great to have these problems? Such a change of pace for us Pacer fans!
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I've talked to other people about this in person but I'll throw this out here right now. Nobody is going to like this but I wonder if Danny isn't plan B if they fail to re-sign David West.
    This is my biggest fear. Granger at PF is just not a good idea. Plus, West brings so much more to the team in terms of savvy, leadership, and - yes I'll say it - adulthood, than anyone has in a long time.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Granger for Barnes, Jefferson and a 1st maybe 2 would be something I can get on board with. Makes sense for both teams would suck to take on Jefferson but gotta do it to make money work.

EDIT: Although if I am GS not sure I do it Harrison is well on his way to being a Danny Granger level player or better. I would likely just keep Barnes myself.

My lord.... that's one of the worst proposals I've seen so far. Zero percent chance GSW even entertains the idea of sending Barnes AND multiple firsts for Danny.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

All of those listed teams could use Danny, but we couldn't? How does that make sense?
    Removed link to my website after a PM from Able.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to notque For This Useful Post:

Danny is worth more to us than to anyone else UNTIL...

he returns this year, plays well, and then he ALSO comes back next year, plays well, and misses almost no games due to this injury.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This is my biggest fear. Granger at PF is just not a good idea. Plus, West brings so much more to the team in terms of savvy, leadership, and - yes I'll say it - adulthood, than anyone has in a long time.
    That is a great point. While based purely in X's and O's playing Danny at the 4 might work, the intangibles lost would IMO be too great to make up - Pacers would suffer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Ford has had a hard-on for a Danny trade more than anyone.

What is it with that guy? The Pacers should release a statement specifically addressed to Ford saying "We are not gonna trade Granger".
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

I have no idea how all have you have forgotten that we are the worst offensive team, and could badly use a scorer. This is completely insane.

If Lebron and Wade can somehow play together, I think George and Granger can work it out....
    Removed link to my website after a PM from Able.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to notque For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    My lord.... that's one of the worst proposals I've seen so far. Zero percent chance GSW even entertains the idea of sending Barnes AND multiple firsts for Danny.
    Doesnt hurt to ask they have wanted Danny for years like I said I wouldn't do it if I was them but ask for a lot. I would be fine with just Barnes and Jefferson or Beans I am a huge Barnes fan and wouldn't trade him if I was GS.

But with how much GS has been linked to Granger I would ask for the moon.

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

Danny Granger for O.J. Mayo

What I will say is this. You see a ton of star players in the twilights of their careers sign for less money than they could make for other teams because they want to have a chance at a ring.

West has made a ton of money in his career, has stated that he likes it here and likes the make up of this team. Like any player would, I'm sure he wants a decent shot at a ring before his days are done. He's also smart enough to see the handwriting on the wall with respect to the Pacers present situation with players versus re-signings versus dollars. If he wants his best shot at a ring while still getting reasonable money, he will be willing to sign for a little less than he cold make elsewhere. Perhaps 24M for 3 years.

And, I will ditto the same statement for Granger. Maybe Granger will sign for something like 30M for 3 years.

Paul George is entirely different. He has not yet had the big contract and we will have to pay out the rear to keep him. The way that is looking is that George will get his max contract, which probably means he will get Hibbert-type dollars. Depending on how we do in the playoffs this year with a healthy Granger, the Pacers might be willing to go a year or two just into luxury tax land to see where it leads them. By then West would be coming off of his contract and Granger would only have about a year left on his next contract.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Danny Granger for O.J. Mayo
    Remember when all it took was Brandon Rush, but we F'd up by trying to force Jmac on them. Oops!

@LetsTalkPacers

Mood

The results of the playoffs this year will determine all of this. David West and Danny Granger are the variables on this roster as Hill and Hibbert are locked up and Paul George absolutely MUST stay and it's obvious. If we flame out early in the post-season, there is a definite possibility that one or both of the elders will move on because we are going to have a real chance with the young ones.

If one of them moves on, we'll look to match the collective age of the team, or maybe even go younger and build further into serious Title Contenders.

BUT, the way this team looks, a healthy Granger is going to elevate us into that spot right now. If he's 100% again, I think Simon will break out the checkbook and commit to this roster. As it stands, IMO, we won't make any changes until Danny proves he won't be healthy and we're forced to move on from him AND DWest to get younger and "re-load" on the run.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers84 View Post
    Remember when all it took was Brandon Rush, but we F'd up by trying to force Jmac on them. Oops!
    No, WE didn't. Some insubordinate dumbass named Morway did.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers84 View Post
    other way around all it took was Jmac and we tried to force Rush on them which makes it look even worse lol. Try to give away a 6th man of the year type player

then we traded him for Lou FREAKING Almond

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Doesnt hurt to ask they have wanted Danny for years like I said I wouldn't do it if I was them but ask for a lot. I would be fine with just Barnes and Jefferson or Beans I am a huge Barnes fan and wouldn't trade him if I was GS.

But with how much GS has been linked to Granger I would ask for the moon.
    I'd think GS would at least consider Barnes + filler for Granger since Granger would easily make them a playoff contender.