Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 135

Thread: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

  1. #76

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    It still needs approved by the Board Of Governors and Stern's apparently told Kevin Johnson (Sacto's mayor) he'll have the chance to match, and allegedly KJ has buyers lined up.

  2. #77
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    Happy for the Sonics fans that they get a team again, but it sucks to have it happen this way, and I'm sure most of them agree with me about that. They know the pain they felt and now Sacramento fans are going to feel the same pain. Obviously a heart aching moment for the loyal Kings fans.

    If VF21 does decide to join the Blue and Gold family, we just got a terrific addition to our ranks.

    Is there any other franchise that might move in the next 1-5 years? Charlotte? New Orleans? I guess not Memphis now that they just got a new ownership group, right? I know nobody wants to have a team via removing it from another fanbase, but I think the last thing this league needs is a 31st franchise...

  3. #78

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    Having Indy lose the Pacers is one of my nightmares, so I can only imagine what Kings fans have gone through over the past few seasons. I hope they're able to find another team some day because they had one of the most loyal fanbases for a long period of time.

  4. #79
    Eternal Optimist VF21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Plumas Forest, CA
    Posts
    605

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    Here's what Aaron Bruski has to say:

    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...medium=twitter

    The Board of Governors would have the final say. It's not over yet, although I have to admit my joy about the 49ers this afternoon has been dulled a bit by the timing of this.
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

  5. #80
    Eternal Optimist VF21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Plumas Forest, CA
    Posts
    605

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    VF... I'm almost ashamed to admit that a few of us PD'ers were at the Kings/Pacers game back early December without seeking out some of the Kings Fans forumites. We all loved how good Sacramento and their fans were to us on our visit. I know that Sac needs a new barn just to quash the talk of the Kings leaving town, but my goodness Seth and myself couldn't get over how unique that building was for an NBA game (wooden floors in the lower bowl, FTW). It felt like it was happening on a night where the building was only half full. I couldn't imagine what that place was like when you had "The Team" running the court.

    I know I'm defiantly pulling for K.J. and Sacramento to get it done and rid the league of those stooges that own YOUR team.
    I would have loved to meet you guys in person. I'm glad you got to see Arco (aka Sleep Train). If you think this one is a barn, you should have seen the first arena. The term ARCO THUNDER came to be because of how loud it could and would get when you have 17,317 pairs of feet stomping in unison.

    The Maloofs are a cancer not only to Sacramento but to the entire NBA world. They should be sued by Virginia Beach for negotiating in bad faith and they should be forced to pay VB for the some $1 million in exploratory costs that were paid when they had no more intention of moving the Kings there than they had in going forward with the arena deal. They backed out for one reason and one reason only - they were already in preliminary negotiations with Hansen and part of the new arena deal would have tied the Kings to Sacramento for 30 years, something they could not agree to.

    I'm not giving up hope and the folks spearheading the drive along with Kevin Johnson to get the local buyers organized with a competitive bid for the team are not going to give up either. I don't believe in fairy tales but I do believe in justice, and moving the Sacramento Kings to Seattle would not be just or right or fair.

    Thanks to all for the kind words. I've always felt a kinship here, partially because my dad was an Indiana farm boy who grew up outside of Lynn and partially because as some of you have said there's a certain familiarity between us. If nothing else, we both survived Artest.
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

  6. #81
    Eternal Optimist VF21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Plumas Forest, CA
    Posts
    605

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
    Sources say deal calls for Maloofs to receive non-refundable $30 million from the Hansen group by Feb. 1 whether or not sale is approved

    I'd love to hear how George Maloof swings that. He's basically trying to squeeze out other potential buyers by having Seattle pay for an exclusive right to bid. I'm not even sure that's legal...

    I didn't know I could feel this much hatred for other human beings.
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

  7. #82
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,623

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    This is sickening.

    Let's hope for a miracle.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  9. #83
    Member 2minutes twoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Middletown, IN
    Posts
    535

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    The Maloofs should never be able to enter an NBA arena without getting booed!

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to 2minutes twoa For This Useful Post:


  11. #84
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,063

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is sickening.

    Let's hope for a miracle.
    I'm not sure who I'm supposed to root against here.

    The Sacramento fans are losing a team, but the Seattle fans already lost one five years ago, and this may be their only shot to get one back for a long time.

    Sure the Maloofs come off as jackasses, but they're pretty much irrelevant in all of this. You're not rooting for/against an owner, you're rooting for the end result.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  13. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it would be worse for Sacramento to lose the Kings than when Seattle lost the Sonics. Sacramento loves the Kings and it would be awful for their city to lose them
    The only reason it's worse IMO is because the mayor and city has done everything and more that the Maloofs wanted. The Maloofs are just scums at least in Seattle the Public government didnt really to save the team like they should of. In this situation Sacramento has went above and beyond and the NBA and the Maloofs should be ashamed. If I was an owner no way I would approve a vote for this sell I would force the Kings to sell to a local owner. The two situations aren't even comparable IMO.

    Both fan bases are good only difference is the local governments

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  15. #86
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,063

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    this doesn't make sense from a fan perspective.

    It isn't the fault of the Sonics fans that their local reps dropped the ball.

    If you're trying to vilify the maloofs, you don't need to do much to accomplish that, but I'm not sure spiting the maloofs is reason to deny Seattle a team.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  17. #87
    Eternal Optimist VF21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Plumas Forest, CA
    Posts
    605

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure who I'm supposed to root against here.

    The Sacramento fans are losing a team, but the Seattle fans already lost one five years ago, and this may be their only shot to get one back for a long time.

    Sure the Maloofs come off as jackasses, but they're pretty much irrelevant in all of this. You're not rooting for/against an owner, you're rooting for the end result.
    The major difference between Seattle and Sacramento is that Sacramento has done EVERYTHING asked of us. An arena deal was put together that was approved by the NBA against all odds. Construction would already be underway if the Maloofs hadn't, at the last minute, pulled out with the lame excuse that they were doing it for Sacramento's own good because the deal wasn't really that good for Sacramento and Northern California in the long run. (Yes, they used THAT as an actual excuse.) Then, while loudly proclaiming their loyalty to Sacramento and the fans, the Brothers Maloof were secretly negotiating behind the scenes to try and get a deal from Virginia Beach.

    Bottom line is the Maloofs are broke and they're trying to get as much as they can on their way out the door. There is even reportedly a clause in the Seattle proposal that gives the Maloofs $30 million if the NBA doesn't allow the sale or if Chris Hansen changes his mind. (This was in exchange - also reportedly - for a binding agreement on the part of the Maloofs, meaning they cannot change their minds this time).

    Seattle lost their team because they would not/could not agree to a new arena.

    So you'd have no problem if we Sacramento fans lose the Kings and decide to come after the Pacers when our new arena gets built?

    We have a loyal fanbase, even after years of bullcrap from the Maloofs, who got rid of our only decent coach - Rick Adelman - and followed him by the likes of Eric Musselman, Reggie Theus, Kenny Natt, Paul Westphal and now Keith Smart.

    At least try to understand how we feel. We didn't take Seattle's team. We have, as I said before, done EVERYTHING that has been asked of us and more. Why should the Maloofs get to sell to someone who wants to take the team out of Sacramento when there are qualified buyers working with Kevin Johnson who would keep the team here AND get the new arena built.
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

  18. #88
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,367

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    We do understand how you feel man, it sucks as much as anything NBA related could suck for you.

    ...just like it sucked that bad for Seattle fans when their team left. The FANS didn't build arenas or not, it was never some guy in a Gary Payton jersey refusing to be complicit with the demands. That guy is just as deserving of a team as anyone in Sacramento. No matter what happens someone is getting screwed, and neither sides fans are anymore deserving than the other.

  19. #89
    Eternal Optimist VF21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Plumas Forest, CA
    Posts
    605

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this doesn't make sense from a fan perspective.

    It isn't the fault of the Sonics fans that their local reps dropped the ball.


    If you're trying to vilify the maloofs, you don't need to do much to accomplish that, but I'm not sure spiting the maloofs is reason to deny Seattle a team.
    Actually, if you want to pick nits, it is their fault. Sacramento fans came together and formed a cohesive group (first #FANS and now expanded to #CrownDowntown) that went to every single city council meeting and voiced their feelings, backed up by statistics and fact. They got three council members to change their minds because they became educated as to the real benefits of a new arena for the entire community, not just sports fans. They held community meetings and informed the public about what a news entertainment and sports complex could do for the city. They persevered and gained the respect of the NBA and Mayor Kevin Johnson.

    CrownDowntown (you can check them out on Facebook and view their videos) is still alive and well and very active in promoting the new arena, something they will continue to do even if we lose the Kings. If Seattle fans had done even a part of this, they might not have lost their team.

    We are not the villains. Seattle fans are not the villains. Taking our team to "right their wrong" makes no sense.

    EDIT: I'm sorry if I come across as not feeling sympathy for the Seattle fans. It's not how I feel. They lost their team and we're fighting to keep ours. If people want to "side" with Seattle, that's up to them. I"m not going to continue to berate them when they didn't do anything wrong. My comments above show that we learned from Seattle that you have to stand up and do something. I cannot and will not get drawn into a comparative debate of the relative fandom of the two cities. It's not fair to either of us.

    I JUST WANT TO KEEP MY TEAM!
    Last edited by VF21; 01-21-2013 at 03:31 PM.
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VF21 For This Useful Post:


  21. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,367

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    Nobody is saying either side is a villain or that either side deserves to be left without a team, all we are saying is that in that same vein neither side is more deserving to have a team, either. Someone loses here, no matter what happens, and neither side deserves to lose. Reality goes that way, sometimes.

  22. #91
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,063

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VF21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    So you'd have no problem if we Sacramento fans lose the Kings and decide to come after the Pacers when our new arena gets built?
    Nope. Just like Sacramento fans wouldn't give a damn if the pistons moved. It's the nature of pro sports.

    No matter who wins, someone gets screwed over on this. Im sure there are people in Kansas city that are still hurting that their team got ripped from them 25 years ago.

    I wont question the loyalty of kings fans, just like I wouldn't question the loyalty of sonic fans. It's a crappy situation for everyone involved. But let's not confuse business with morality. When the time comes that Sacramento is in position to steal an NBA team themselves, you won't give a damn where it comes from either.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-21-2013 at 03:39 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  23. #92
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,332

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    Quote Originally Posted by VF21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    So you'd have no problem if we Sacramento fans lose the Kings and decide to come after the Pacers when our new arena gets built?
    Of course KStat wouldn't have a problem with Sac-Town going after the Pacers if they lose the Kings..... He's a Pistons fan.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  24. #93

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    https://twitter.com/mr_jasonjones/st...61484703465472
    Kings players found out about Seattle deal via social media/web
    Sac Bee writer. Maloofs are cowards.

  25. #94

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine


    $525 mil for 65%?! Of the Kings?!
    $525M is the price for 100%. The Maloofs get 53% of that and a minority stockholder 12%.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:


  27. #95
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nobody is saying either side is a villain or that either side deserves to be left without a team, all we are saying is that in that same vein neither side is more deserving to have a team, either. Someone loses here, no matter what happens, and neither side deserves to lose. Reality goes that way, sometimes.
    If it's between Seattle and Sacramento, Sacramento is the city that deserves a team more they have done everything they could to keep their team. While Seattle virtually did everything they could to let the team leave. They refused public funding because they thought that there is no way a team would actually leave a good NBA market like Seattle. It's Seattle's policy to refuse public funding which is find but with the way the NBA is setup it isn't realistic to expect to keep your team without having public help. I mean the day the city agreed to the lease buyout with Bennett the mayor was laughing and happy. They clearly didn't want to keep the Sonics they didn't give a ****. If they wanted to keep the team they would of not settled and made that team play in Seattle for 2 more years and hope to make Bennett sell.

    KJ is a former NBA player so it probably helps that he wants and think his city needs a team to help with jobs and economic growth that a team brings. I do feel for Seattle fans they don't deserve it ,but their local government couldn't give a damn about the sonics and the opposite is true about the Kings.


    I know this isnt going to happen but it would be really cool if Seattle gets an expansion franchise and somehow Clay Bennett will give back the history of the team. Then a new expansion franchise starts in a city like Chicago who could support a 2nd team. Or have the guy who wanted a team in Virginia Beach own a team there. I don't know it would just be a travesty if the Kings lose their team after what that city and fans have done to try and keep them.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-21-2013 at 04:28 PM.

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  29. #96
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,367

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    What you're not grasping here is that Seattle the city, and Seattle Supersonic fans, are not the same entity. I'm sure the majority of Sonic fans said something like, "GIVE THEM ANYTHING I WANT TO KEEP MY TEAM FOREVER." Just as we would if the Pacers were moving... but they don't get to decide what happens. Sure, they could elect different people who feel the same way, but you can't only vote people in based on their favor on a single, mostly unpolitical policy. The Sonics fans never did anything wrong, they just got screwed. They are no less deserving than Sacramento fans, regardless of what Seattle the city vs what Sacramento the city did/does.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post:


  31. #97
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is like the pacers moving and me telling you "that's okay, you still have the bulls."
    No, this is like you telling me "well it sucks that they are moving, but at least you'll still be able to reasonably drive to see them live a couple times a year...and not Chicago but make it Cincinnati instead."

    So if was the Cincy Bulls and the Pacers moved to Vermont but still played Cincy twice a year, that would beat the living s*** out of what a Kansas City Kings fan had, which was virtually no option at all to see them live or really any NBA live.


    See, I didn't say "switch to rooting for a new team". I said "keep rooting for them and at least a few games will still be played within driving distance which was way better than KC had it".

    But otherwise your analogy was perfect.





    Having made that rant (it just tweeked me the wrong way), it certainly does suck to be a one sport town and to lose that sport. This is just more of the cascade of poor moves made by the NBA. If you look back at the expansions, the Vancouver attempt failed and the Toronto effort is dicey. Meanwhile you had OKC and Memphis that were prepared to accept and support a new NBA team. Had Stern been less "global" focused" and just put teams in those cities instead, then you lose the Raptors but in every other way you hold the NBA in place without some of this pointless shuffling.

    Don't get me started on some of the NBA ownership - Shinn, Maloofs.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-21-2013 at 04:44 PM.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  33. #98
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    One thing about Seattle fans not supporting the Sonics arena, as well as they "yes but they get to have lots of pro sports". That's what hurt them. They had just paid for 2 new stadiums (both very nice) and with the Key Arena update in its recent history (94-95) they just were struggling to get public support for a 3rd new pro stadium in a decade.

    So imagine Sacto buying THREE stadiums where the other 2 were more expensive than the BBall arena. Sacto is a one team town so they can focus on just that. It doesn't make them a better fan base as a city, it's just a different situation. Seattle residents and sports fans gave up quite a bit to support their teams, they were just facing a bigger total task.

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  35. #99
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having Indy lose the Pacers is one of my nightmares, so I can only imagine what Kings fans have gone through over the past few seasons. I hope they're able to find another team some day because they had one of the most loyal fanbases for a long period of time.
    And lets be realistic, the only reason we don't lose the Pacers is Herb (and was Mel too). Money aside, deals aside, Herb could be getting $30m for exclusive negotiating rights and other sweeteners that would make it very financially pleasing to sell to a freaking Italian group that wanted to have a team in Rome, and what could we do about it? Jack and squat.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  37. #100
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

    The REAL villains in this situation are David Stern and Clay Bennett. No Bennett=Sonics and Kings intact, and nobody wanting to move to OKC. Bennett and Stern started this entire mess five years ago.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. either hornets or kings relocating to seattle?
    By Scot Pollard in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 12-09-2010, 05:54 PM
  2. Maloofs' casino OK to take NBA bets, not on Kings [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 04:20 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 10:19 PM
  4. Some rumors coming out of the Chicago pre-draft camp
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 10:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •