Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

Default Re: Rumors coming from Seattle that the Maloofs have sold the Kings

If anything this shows the value of the word of David Stern = 0 certainly not someone I would do business with, in fact I would prefer to deal with junkies, known crooks,. fraudters etc before even considering to deal with that lying caniving sob
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what a dumb thing to say. like a really dumb thing. You realize how many teams are closer to Indy than they Lakers and Clippers are to Sacramento? The two cities are 400 miles apart. The entire Central division is closer to Indianapolis than LA is to Sacramento. Sure its the same state, but we feel no connection to those teams here. We have one option now. And thats the Warriors. Which means we have to go down to the Bay to watch basketball. This ****ing sucks. Its gonna be 2-3 hours with traffic just to get to the Warriors new arena. with games starting at 7, that means you either go on weekends, or have to leave work early.

The worst part is that the Maloofs really ****ed us over. We had a deal. And then they just backed out.

As for where we consider where we live UB, its just NorCal. Definitely isn't the Pacific NW. Its SoCal, NorCal, then Pacific NW.

My apologies...

No... I hadn't considered nor did I know the distance to the next in-state franchise...

I guess I've just always thought of it in terms of statewide options on teams to support rather than in terms of distance and having more convenient traveling for the fans of a team... I now feel a little less jealous of the states with multiple franchises looking from that perspective (though I still believe the Lakers and Clippers both being in LA is rediculous)
    Last edited by J7F; 01-09-2013 at 07:47 PM.
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

A couple of observations.

Must be really painful for fans that grew up supporting one team, watching them leave their city cause it's a 'franchise' and move to another one. I know things over there work differently than in Europe etc and there is a different mentality but what I mean is wouldn't it be better if there wasn't the 'franchise' tag on the teams in the first place? The teams should live forever in one city and that's all. Knock on wood, I cringe at the thought what you will have to go through if the Pacers ever moved away from Indiana.

Second, I don't live there so I need you to explain to me the psychology behind it. How can for example the Sacto fans ever support a different team other than the Sacramento Kings now that they're leaving? I mean i know there are teams close to them or in the same state, but how is it possible to say "Oh I will support Golden State now or the Lakers"? I mean can you imagine a Pacers fan, in case the unthinkable happened, saying "I'll be rooting for the Bulls now"?
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    A couple of observations.

Must be really painful for fans that grew up supporting one team, watching them leave their city cause it's a 'franchise' and move to another one. I know things over there work differently than in Europe etc and there is a different mentality but what I mean is wouldn't it be better if there wasn't the 'franchise' tag on the teams in the first place? The teams should live forever in one city and that's all. Knock on wood, I cringe at the thought what you will have to go through if the Pacers ever moved away from Indiana.

Second, I don't live there so I need you to explain to me the psychology behind it. How can for example the Sacto fans ever support a different team other than the Sacramento Kings now that they're leaving? I mean i know there are teams close to them or in the same state, but how is it possible to say "Oh I will support Golden State now or the Lakers"? I mean can you imagine a Pacers fan, in case the unthinkable happened, saying "I'll be rooting for the Bulls now"?
    I really don't know. I'm not a Kings fan myself, just live out here so I was more speaking as an NBA fan in Sacramento. The casuals will probably switch to GSW, just cause its the most local. The diehards? I don't have a clue. I dont see how they would be able to root for another team. Not sure how they would be able to root for the new Sonics either as the team would just up and leave.

But apparently the deal isn't quite as done as was first reported.

http://deadspin.com/5974637/that-who...ized-after-all

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    I mean can you imagine a Pacers fan, in case the unthinkable happened, saying "I'll be rooting for the Bulls now"?
    That's why I've always been a little jealous of the multi team states because there is no way I could simply jump to the next closest team with it being in another state... It just wouldn't feel right... But if there were still a team in Ft. Wayne I could get behind them if the Pacers were to vanish...

In reality if the Pacers left Indy I would probably just be a fan of wherever they landed...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    This. I live in Sacramento, and it sucks I can no longer watch games here. I would rather fly to Indiana and go to a game then drive the cluster**** known as I80 between Sac and the bay. 3 hours to go 60 miles. **** that.
    How far is it from Kansas City to Sacto?

I understand it sucks, but you can still root for them at least and will have 2 chances to see them live still with a drive that's reasonable-ish. KC lost the kings with jack squat in their region afterward. Even now OKC is the closest thing they have to a home team 30 years later.

Kevin Johnson, mayor of Sacramento and yes the former NBA player if you didnt know, is currently in talks with several people/groups about buying the Kings and keeping them here. Apparently the co-owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins has been interested. There was a good amount of talk about different people buying the Kings when the Anaheim rumors were swirling, but the Maloofs weren't selling then, as they are rumored to be now. If Sacramento has some options on the table, i dont know how Stern and the NBA could let the Kings move elsewhere after they way they handled the New Orleans sale, making it their priority to keep them in New Orleans.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

what a dumb thing to say. like a really dumb thing. You realize how many teams are closer to Indy than they Lakers and Clippers are to Sacramento? The two cities are 400 miles apart. The entire Central division is closer to Indianapolis than LA is to Sacramento. Sure its the same state, but we feel no connection to those teams here. We have one option now. And thats the Warriors. Which means we have to go down to the Bay to watch basketball. This ****ing sucks. Its gonna be 2-3 hours with traffic just to get to the Warriors new arena. with games starting at 7, that means you either go on weekends, or have to leave work early.

The worst part is that the Maloofs really ****ed us over. We had a deal. And then they just backed out.

As for where we consider where we live UB, its just NorCal. Definitely isn't the Pacific NW. Its SoCal, NorCal, then Pacific NW.
    I'm glad you said it and not me. I probably wouldn't have just stopped at "dumb." I live in the Bay Area, and can say with certainty that we don't associate with SoCal AT ALL, especially when it comes to sports teams. It's just an ignorant statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    How far is it from Kansas City to Sacto?

I understand it sucks, but you can still root for them at least and will have 2 chances to see them live still with a drive that's reasonable-ish. KC lost the kings with jack squat in their region afterward. Even now OKC is the closest thing they have to a home team 30 years later.
    This is like the pacers moving and me telling you "that's okay, you still have the bulls."

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Kevin Johnson, mayor of Sacramento and yes the former NBA player if you didnt know, is currently in talks with several people/groups about buying the Kings and keeping them here. Apparently the co-owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins has been interested. There was a good amount of talk about different people buying the Kings when the Anaheim rumors were swirling, but the Maloofs weren't selling then, as they are rumored to be now. If Sacramento has some options on the table, i dont know how Stern and the NBA could let the Kings move elsewhere after they way they handled the New Orleans sale, making it their priority to keep them in New Orleans.
    I think it would be worse for Sacramento to lose the Kings than when Seattle lost the Sonics. Sacramento loves the Kings and it would be awful for their city to lose them
    "We want Miami"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Seattle didn't love the Sonics? How can you quantify fans' love for a team over another?
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Indra View Post
    I'm glad you said it and not me. I probably wouldn't have just stopped at "dumb." I live in the Bay Area, and can say with certainty that we don't associate with SoCal AT ALL, especially when it comes to sports teams. It's just an ignorant statement.
    And I have apologized... And admitted it wasnt a completely thought out statement... Move on... Nothing to see here...
    Last edited by J7F; 01-10-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    Yeah, I do feel badly for the Sacramento fans, and I should have said as much when I posted earlier. There's nothing I can say to make them feel better, but I acknowledge how much this has to suck for their die hard fans.
    We're not dead yet, nor are the SACRAMENTO Kings.

I don't think any of you - especially those of you who are more than just casual fans - can possibly imagine the feelings we fans have been dealing with for the past few years. The Maloofs are to franchise ownership what Lance Armstrong is to cycling. They have lied to the fans, they have lied to the media, they have lied to the NBA and they have lied to themselves. How do you know if they're lying? Their lips are moving.

I'd like to share a couple of thoughts, since I've always viewed the Pacers as my second team and (in response to another thread here on PD) if the Kings do leave, I'll climb on your bandwagon full time.

1. The Sacramento Kings trace their lineage back to the old Rochester Royals. The idea that storied franchise would cease to exist so that Seattle can pretend they never lost the Sonics is ludicrous.

2. Our city and our fans are not taking this lying down. David Stern has reached out and made it clear that if our mayor (Kevin Johnson) can assemble a local ownership group to buy the franchise, the Board of Governors will listen to their presentation. The Maloofs are not going to be able to sell the team to Chris Hansen and group from Seattle if there's a comparable offer that will keep the Kings where they belong.

3. There are indications that the Maloofs made have bargained in bad faith with Virginia Beach, although it was never actually acknowledged that the Kings were, in fact, the team Comcast was talking with.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. This whole thing is the nightmare that never ends, and yet we can still get 12,000+ people to attend home games. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but with all that's happened, it's a testament to Kings fans that any of them show up. And that's something the league has noted more than once.

If you want to follow someone who actually seems to have his finger on the pulse, I would recommend Aaron Bruski. Woj twitter-surfs and has gotten a lot of basic details wrong re

For now, the Kings are still in Sacramento and the Maloofs are avoiding home games like the plague. I don't blame this. These are the same brothers who gave away their midcourt front row seats for the final game of the season two years ago to two loud, obnoxious Laker fans (wearing Laker jerseys). That was when we thought that would be the last game the Kings played in Sacramento as it was assumed they would be moving to Anaheim. They have no class and it would raise the image of the entire NBA if they were removed as franchise owners.

Please keep us in your thoughts. Seattle has the Mariners, the Seahawks, a soccer team and collegiate sports. Sacramento has the Kings. If you recall watching our games against the Pacers in the past, I hope you can remember the passion of Kings fans. We've been through a lot but we're not gonna quit fighting. We have a special area of Kingsfans.com for the discussion of all this stuff. Just look in the "New Arena' area.

Thanks for "listening"...
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

22. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to VF21 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    I'm sorry but...

Poor Sacramento fans... Now they only have 3 teams in their state to choose to root for...

And yes I realize their are jobs lost and all that... But from a pure fan perspective again I say... Poor Sacramento fans...
    I take it you've never traveled around California. We have 37 million people here. SIX TIMES the population of Indiana. It's something like a 1,200 mile drive from San Diego to the Oregon border. Plenty of space for several pro teams.

By contrast, Chicago is about 150 miles from Indy. Frankly, Indy is lucky to have a team.

EDIT: I did not see your replies to the other comments when I wrote the above. Seriously though come out to Cali for a road trip sometime, you'll enjoy just how much there is out here
    Last edited by rabid; 01-20-2013 at 02:34 AM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by VF21 View Post

I don't think any of you - especially those of you who are more than just casual fans - can possibly imagine the feelings we fans have been dealing with for the past few years. The Maloofs are to franchise ownership what Lance Armstrong is to cycling. They have lied to the fans, they have lied to the media, they have lied to the NBA and they have lied to themselves. How do you know if they're lying? Their lips are moving.

I'd like to share a couple of thoughts, since I've always viewed the Pacers as my second team and (in response to another thread here on PD) if the Kings do leave, I'll climb on your bandwagon full time.

1. The Sacramento Kings trace their lineage back to the old Rochester Royals. The idea that storied franchise would cease to exist so that Seattle can pretend they never lost the Sonics is ludicrous.

2. Our city and our fans are not taking this lying down. David Stern has reached out and made it clear that if our mayor (Kevin Johnson) can assemble a local ownership group to buy the franchise, the Board of Governors will listen to their presentation. The Maloofs are not going to be able to sell the team to Chris Hansen and group from Seattle if there's a comparable offer that will keep the Kings where they belong.

3. There are indications that the Maloofs made have bargained in bad faith with Virginia Beach, although it was never actually acknowledged that the Kings were, in fact, the team Comcast was talking with.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. This whole thing is the nightmare that never ends, and yet we can still get 12,000+ people to attend home games. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but with all that's happened, it's a testament to Kings fans that any of them show up. And that's something the league has noted more than once.

If you want to follow someone who actually seems to have his finger on the pulse, I would recommend Aaron Bruski. Woj twitter-surfs and has gotten a lot of basic details wrong re

For now, the Kings are still in Sacramento and the Maloofs are avoiding home games like the plague. I don't blame this. These are the same brothers who gave away their midcourt front row seats for the final game of the season two years ago to two loud, obnoxious Laker fans (wearing Laker jerseys). That was when we thought that would be the last game the Kings played in Sacramento as it was assumed they would be moving to Anaheim. They have no class and it would raise the image of the entire NBA if they were removed as franchise owners.

Please keep us in your thoughts. Seattle has the Mariners, the Seahawks, a soccer team and collegiate sports. Sacramento has the Kings. If you recall watching our games against the Pacers in the past, I hope you can remember the passion of Kings fans. We've been through a lot but we're not gonna quit fighting. We have a special area of Kingsfans.com for the discussion of all this stuff. Just look in the "New Arena' area.

VF21, I've been following the SacTown ordeal that you have been going through through KTLK and Grant Napier. It sucks that the SacTown fans have to go through this...cuz the problem isn't the fanbase....but this whole convoluted mess with the City, Arena and the Maloofs ( I know, it's really confusing ). SacTown fans deserve more.

I am sure that many here agree....you are more than welcome to join us here on PD and jump onto the bandwagon.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by VF21 View Post

VF21 thank you for weighing in on this subject. I have been waiting for you to speak about this as I know you have your finger on the pulse of the Kings.

As a Pacers fan I can slightly slightly sympathize with your plight as two times in our franchises history we have almost moved. One time we were saved by the local fan base by way of a telethon.

http://www2.indystar.com/library/fac...2002_0702.html

Then we also have had our own villainous owner by the name of Sam Nassi and ironically one of the groups he was looking to sell the team to was from Sacramento, this was when the Kings were still in Kansas City.

But thank God Mel & Herb Simon stepped up to the plate and saved our team. Sorry don't mean to stray from the topic or make light of your situation but every Pacer fan reading this needs to reflect on that fact for awhile. We have our club because we have what I consider to be the best owner in the NBA. I feel bad every time I get disgusted with the spending limit that sometimes we perceive we have but at the end of the day Herb has spent and he has allowed us to have the teams we have on the floor. Thank God for Herb and the late Mel Simon.

Okay sorry about that now back to Sacramento.

But not only as a Pacer fan do I sympathize but as a fellow small market fan do I sympathize. You guys are a lot like us in the fact that your core fan base is very strong and dedicated to your team. The Kings are always a tough place to play and that is because of the fan base that is present.

I feel bad for fans of Seattle I do, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Believe me when I say we Pacer fans are pulling for you guys and frankly we are pulling for Seattle fans to get their own team as well. I'm hoping that you guys get your own Simons to step up to the plate so to speak and save your franchise and rid the NBA of the Maloof's. What they did last season by backing out of that deal was in my mind vile.

P.S. Also we're more than happy to have you come on board as a Pacers fan, even if you are a Kings fan first. The only time that it will really matter is if we play in the playoffs and if we ever do that we both win anyway as it will be in the finals.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Very well said VF21. I've lived in the Sacramento area for 2 years now, family has been here for nearly 5. The Kings have great basketball fans. I think that Seth, Roaming Gnome, and the rest of the crew that made the West Coast trip would agree too. And while I'm not a Kings fan, I love having NBA basketball in my backyard for the first time in my life. Right now I am really happy that KJ is the mayor because I know he will do whatever it takes to keep the Kings here. I saw on twitter that local MMA fighter Uriah Faber was even in a meeting with KJ and is getting involved in it all. Now that the Maloofs are taking offers openly, I think Sacramento has a good chance on keeping the Kings. The city approved the arena, it was the Maloofs who ruined that deal, after they stood on mid court with KJ raising their hands together celebrating it.

I can't stand the Maloofs. I truly believe the entire time they have owned the Kings, they have wanted to move the team to Vegas. And once Stern made it clear he wasn't going to allow it, they have been horrible owners and treat the team like a problem they have to deal with. I hope someone buys the Kings and keeps them here before next season so those two can be kicked to the curb.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

VF... I'm almost ashamed to admit that a few of us PD'ers were at the Kings/Pacers game back early December without seeking out some of the Kings Fans forumites. We all loved how good Sacramento and their fans were to us on our visit. I know that Sac needs a new barn just to quash the talk of the Kings leaving town, but my goodness Seth and myself couldn't get over how unique that building was for an NBA game (wooden floors in the lower bowl, FTW). It felt like it was happening on a night where the building was only half full. I couldn't imagine what that place was like when you had "The Team" running the court.

I know I'm defiantly pulling for K.J. and Sacramento to get it done and rid the league of those stooges that own YOUR team.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine
    Just going online now: Maloofs have struck deal to sell 65 percent of Kings to Chris Hansen group in Seattle for $525 million, sources say

Kings deal to Seattle group still requires formal NBA ratification but Hansen group intends to file for relocation by March 1 if approved

ESPN sources say no agreement yet reached on remaining 35 percent of Kings shares, which are held by minority investors, NOT Maloofs

Sources say deal calls for Maloofs to receive non-refundable $30 million from the Hansen group by Feb. 1 whether or not sale is approved
    $525 mil for 65%?! Of the Kings?!

Mood

Well... :-/

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Adrian Wojnarowski

@
    WojYahooNBA

The $525 million price is a "valuation" on the total franchise. For 65 percent, Seattle group would pay approximately $340 million.

Banned

@jadande: NBA source says Sacramento Kings sale to Seattle group is signed & sent to league. Maloofs will retain "small piece" of team.

That sucks

Banned

@PeterVecsey1: Source says almost living lock Phil Jackson will become front office face of Seattle-bound Kings' franchise. Won't coach. Will mentor choice

Not sure if I believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    @PeterVecsey1: Source says almost living lock Phil Jackson will become front office face of Seattle-bound Kings' franchise. Won't coach. Will mentor choice

Not sure if I believe it.
    I don't. Isn't Phil marrying Jeanie Buss? Seems like a conflict of interest.

well... guess i shouldn't have made that post earlier today. very disappointed