Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Heat Postgame Thread 1/8/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Heat Postgame Thread 1/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Paul George is still putting 30 and 10 on Lebron's noggin when this all happens, you don't even worry about the luxury tax IMO.
    It still depends if we start getting good attendance. Dominating the Heat on a night that was subpar offensively for us, in our FIRST matchup of the year, in front of a sold out crowd, in the midst of a long home winning streak....let's just say it's a good start and I hope the like continues.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

PG24 becomes a RFA when Kobe turns 38 and comes off his contract. Who thinks multiple teams will be offering PG a max contract?

I don't think Simon will allow us in luxury taxland, so I think we keep only 2 of West, DG and PG.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd assume that by the time PG's extension is up, we're either letting go of Danny or West, or one of them will be taking a pay cut. If he keeps up his level of play, there's just NO WAY we're going to let him go though. So I don't think that's a problem. Yes we'll have to pay Lance, but for a guy that's not even averaging 8ppg, AND has stuck with him through his legal issues, I feel that he's more valuable to us than he would be to another team. This basically translates into us being able to re-sign him to his second contract at a relatively decent rate. (Now after that initial contract, watch out. If he keeps improving we'll have to pay that man)

But why worry about any of that now. We'll deal with it when the time comes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Haha there is no way management will let PG leave. The starting lineup may be broken up but that happens. Don't worry about Paul George playing anywhere but Indiana for the next 5 years.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    No, 70M is correct, but at 58M for starters you only have 12M left over...

-4M for Ian = 8
    -3M for Green = 5

Got Orlando, Plumlee, and then next years 2 rookies ~2-3M

Now we have 2M left and we don't have a backup point guard yet. What about Lance? (maybe that's the same thing, but Lance gonna cost more than 2M)

There just isn't enough money to go around without hitting the luxury or letting someone go. Edit note: this already assumes we've let Tyler and DJA walk.
    If we can find a way to dump the last year of Greens deal, which I believe is feasible, we can make it work.

For the 2014/2015 season, the LT will likely rise - I estimate $72M.

I agree with your figures regarding the starters - about $56M when all are locked up. Lance will likely get a starting salary at $4M (if we are smart and extend him this summer) and Mahinmi is at $4M. So, $64M for our starters and our top two bench players. $4M for Plumlee, OJ, and our next two first rounders. So we have $4M left for a minimum of 3 spots (14 player roster), with holes at backup PF and PG. I would hope that one of our next two first rounders could plug a hole a backup PG or PF, so if we sign minimum salary guys at $700k for 2 of the remaining 3 spots, that leaves $2.5M to plug the other backup hole. If you shop smart, I believe you can find a bench player at that price. We have until the summer of 2014 to figure out a way to dump Green thoguh, which is a priorty. West is up this summer, a year prior to Danny, PG, & Lance, and we have plenty of room. We might want to consider a deal where the first year is loaded up - like $11M year 1 and $7M year 2 (assuming we can do that)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to purdue101 For This Useful Post:

I've been as hard on Hibbert's offensive productivity as almost anyone. But offensively he did fine this game. He didn't even make half his shots, but it did not matter. He was relevant in the post and forced Miami to deal with him. He was very aggressive, especially around the boards. I can deal with games like this, knowing that some games 75% of his tips wil go in and in others only 25% of his tips will go in.

The point is our center grew a pair and was just as aggressive offensively as any other player on the floor. I just want him to be this aggressive every game from now on. If so, I think everything else will care of itself. Either the shots will fall or he will begin getting more points from the line, or both.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    PG24 becomes a RFA when Kobe turns 38 and comes off his contract. Who thinks multiple teams will be offering PG a max contract?

I don't think Simon will allow us in luxury taxland, so I think we keep only 2 of West, DG and PG.
    If the Pacers can keep Granger for the price that they want to keep him at...sure, they will keep him...but my guess is that he's going to want more on the FA market. I believe that PG will get a Near MAX offer and why I think that Granger will be shopped for an asset to help fill the holes so that the Team doesn't lose him for nothing when they let him go to Free Agency cuz they can't afford to pay him what he's going to get on the Market.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Haha there is no way management will let PG leave. The starting lineup may be broken up but that happens. Don't worry about Paul George playing anywhere but Indiana for the next 5 years.
    I don't think that this is in doubt.....the question is whether Granger and West will be here or not.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Can we please stop making excuses that don't make any sense? The refs do not have a vendetta against the Pacers. The Pacers played well, but it is not like we had to overcome the world to do it.
    I agree with you that they do not have a vendetta against the Pacers. I do firmly believe that they give star players every single benefit of the doubt possible. And that sometimes causes them to let them foul people without a whistle and it sometimes lets them get a whistle when they were not actually fouled. And given how good those players already are, combined with it happening at the expense of my team that usually does not have stars, that gets really old.

15. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Is there any other player in the league that can play lockdown, phsyical defense for 250 straight minutes, and not get a single foul called against them?

It would really be interesting to see some numbers on the longest minute streak without fouling. 250 has to be #1, but I wonder how it stacks up against the rest.

I think a lot of you are not taking into consideration what the new LT rules will do. I expect that a lot of the salaries for non-max players to decrease as teams are more wary about going over the LT by too much. So it is very plausible that we will be able to keep Granger for less than some may expect. As well with his diminished role with PG coming on, he might not find as many high bidders as he starts getting up there with age. That is something that might work in our advantage with West too. His age will most likely decrease how much he can make on the open market.

Ship Granger to a team for some good expiring contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    Please. Get real.

A lot of you act like Simon didn't establish a willingness to pay big bucks to keep a winning team together from the mid 90s to the early 2000s.

I mean heck we used to be the team that always overpaid our own talent, now the rap is we won't pay at all? You can't have it both ways.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    That won't happen before the trade deadline since he will likely be out til February. But I can see it being done before the 2013-2014 Draft in June for Expiring Contracts, a Draft pick and a prospect.

It's kind of funny, you guys always say guys like myself and V can never let something go, but the reality here is, you aren't letting me let it go. I didn't want to talk about his contract and how he's 25% overpaid. I didn't want to talk about anything negative at all. I just wanted to feel bad for him not being able to perform and celebrate Paul George stepping up when it was needed to get a win. You guys are the one who brought that negativity here. Look in the mirror.

Roy Hibbert struggling so mightily offensively is making me sad. Talk to what I say and let me let it go. Or get ignored, I really don't care that much.
    Well thanks to you guys for keeping it real for the rest of us. If it weren't for you guys we'd probably never know that Hibbert can't make a layup or so and so are having an off game or two.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Great win. How about the bench giving us a big lift in the 2nd? What a role reversal from the playoffs!
    Yeah. I was thinking as I watched the game how you suddenly saw why we got some of these guys to replace last year's bench. Most notable: Ian Mahinmi. So, so much better against the Heat than Lou Amundson. Taller, longer, able to go straight up and throw it down when he has it under or at the rim, and uses his size and length to really protect the rim defensively in ways Lou just isn't capable of. Really paid off last night. To a lesser extent, Gerald Green. God knows I'm not thrilled with him, but I like having another long and athletic guy to guard Wade with instead of putting someone like Barbosa on him. And when Green is moving off ball well it keeps the Heat defense more honest to prevent more of those backdoor alley-oops.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Agreed. If they were willing to give Roy his max, they'll certainly do it for Paul George.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

-4M for Ian = 8
    -3M for Green = 5

Now we have 2M left and we don't have a backup point guard yet. What about Lance? (maybe that's the same thing, but Lance gonna cost more than 2M)

There just isn't enough money to go around without hitting the luxury or letting someone go. Edit note: this already assumes we've let Tyler and DJA walk.
    do you think the Pacers are not aware. i dont see the point in your posts. some people get involved in an argument and cannot let it go. if im not mistaken at some pt salary cap has to go up with teh inflation of a dollar.. least that would make sense.

either way.. who cares thats not even close to a concern at this point. who knows what may or may not happen b/t now and then.

this is an argument for the offseason. not after an impressive win vs the defending champs.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    do you think the Pacers are not aware. i dont see the point in your posts. some people get involved in an argument and cannot let it go. if im not mistaken at some pt salary cap has to go up with teh inflation of a dollar.. least that would make sense.

either way.. who cares thats not even close to a concern at this point. who knows what may or may not happen b/t now and then.

this is an argument for the offseason. not after an impressive win vs the defending champs.
    No one is having an argument. It's just a tangential conversation after an eye opening performance that says, "Yes, this guy will certainly get a max contract offer," and wondering what the consequences of that are. It's a logical step and a potentially interesting discussion of options. On the bright side, if you, "don't see the point," and/or don't see it as an interesting conversation piece, then no one will force you to participate. Hurray! Freedom! 'Murica!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by doctor-h View Post
    OK doctor-h is ready to eat crow. Let me have it. Great win tonight. I really liked the way they played tonight. I just hope this becomes more of the norm. I said I hoped I was wrong about this team and I truly do. Nothing could make me happier than to kick the Knicks asses.
    I just have to thank that
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

-4M for Ian = 8
    -3M for Green = 5

Let's compare out financial situation with the Grizzlies:

Randolph - 16.5M

Gay - 19.3M

Gasol - 15.8M

Conley - 8.7M

Arthur - 3.5M

That's 63.8 Million for a 5 man unit that doesn't include a Starting SG. If they resign Allen at 3.3M then they're going to pay 67.1M just for those 6 players.

Of course, only 1 or 2 players out of Speights, Ellington, Bayless, Pondexter, Haddadi, Wroten and Selby would be resigned.

We're lucky that Danny Granger is not as overpaid as Gay is. We're also lucky that he's older and coming off an injury and thus is likely to sign for less.

Chances are that in order to avoid the LT somebody will be let go but we're in a much better position than the Grizzlies, imo.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    Yeah. I was thinking as I watched the game how you suddenly saw why we got some of these guys to replace last year's bench. Most notable: Ian Mahinmi. So, so much better against the Heat than Lou Amundson. Taller, longer, able to go straight up and throw it down when he has it under or at the rim, and uses his size and length to really protect the rim defensively in ways Lou just isn't capable of. Really paid off last night.
    Can't agree enough. I was thinking that as I watched the game, actually... Lou has settled in just like I expected, and he's a very significant upgrade over Lou (who I liked).

Last year, it was open season inside when Hibbert went to the bench. This year, he's improved his defensive play but there's less of a dropoff when he leaves. That speaks to how well Mahinmi is playing defensively.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Nuntius;1560186]

And honestly, I was quite peeved that neither he or Justin took the time to answer with facts to the facts and videos that I posted in that thread. But it's ok. I cannot be petty about it. QUOTE]

I did answer you. I spent quite a bit of time and effort doing it. I'm a one finger typer. LOL!I went to post it and something happened to my post. It just disappeared. I got PO'd due to the time I had spent putting together my answers that I just said screw it and refused to take the time to repost. The GOOD LORD never gave me that valuable quality many others have called patience. The lack of patience has made my life difficult at times, but interesting!

I have bemoaned our offensive rebounding so many times that I've just given up. The great Bulls teams, the great Lakers teams all did it. They hit the boards. They cashed in on missed shots. You play D and hit the off. glass and you will be in every game. The Pacers are doing that! Roy, DWest, Mahinmi, Tyler can do that every time! They can crash and reek havoc on the glass!
    So fun to be at this game and watch Paul and Lance just dominate.
    Ian is so close to passing Roy it isn't funny.
    DJ playing well
    NOW I SEE THE GOLD SWAGGER!!!
    Last edited by greyhound80; 01-09-2013 at 05:17 PM.