Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Suns in trade talks for Rudy Gay (Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports)

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lightbulb Report: Suns in trade talks for Rudy Gay (Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports)

Suns in trade talks for Rudy Gay - Yahoo! Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Wojnarowski
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Memphis Grizzlies and Phoenix Suns are engaged in trade talks centered on forward Rudy Gay, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Grizzlies have been shopping Gay to multiple teams, and found an interested trade partner with the Suns, sources said.

There's no framework of a possible deal in place, but the Grizzlies have expressed a strong desire that any package involving Gay include Suns forward Jared Dudley and future first-round draft picks, sources said.

In an effort to avoid paying luxury tax in the short term, as well as get off the $17.8 million and $19.3 million owed Gay in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons, new Memphis management has aggressively shopped Gay. The Grizzlies have made proposals on Gay to several teams, front-office sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Gay will make $16.4 million this year.

The Suns have been mindful of their financial state under Phoenix owner Robert Sarver, and there are still doubts within the organization they will ultimately be able to absorb the remainder of Gay's contract.

The Suns own the Los Angeles Lakers' first-round picks in 2013 and 2015.

Under new ownership and management, the Memphis front office is dubious these Grizzlies are constructed to contend for the Western Conference title, sources said. Owner Robert Para has turned basketball operations over to CEO Jason Levien.

Memphis is 22-10 and presently holding the fourth seed in the West.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Default Re: Report: Suns in trade talks for Rudy Gay (Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports)

If the Grizzlies trade Rudy Gay for Jared Dudley and the Lakers draft pick, they are fools. Especially with the start they've had this year.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Banned

Default Re: Report: Suns in trade talks for Rudy Gay (Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports)

There's no framework of a possible deal in place, but the Grizzlies have expressed a strong desire that any package involving Gay include Suns forward Jared Dudley and future first-round draft picks, sources said.
    Dudley? lol

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll send them Hansbrough and a first round pick then I guess LOL. I know it doesn't work from a salary standpoint, that is how dumb this deal would be to me.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

I wonder how much of this is John Hollinger. They're a hell of a team, but probably just shy of being "good enough" to beat the elite teams in a series, so he seems to be encouraging them to go asset hunting and try to rebuild now rather than later. Will be very interesting to see how that turns out, if they go full out in that direction. Maybe they're going to sell Gay for assets and see if they can stay competitive with the rest while they cultivate the newbies?

Pacers can trade Memphis Green. Who's gonna play SF for Memphis? Dudley is a sg, right? Or can he play SF too?

Neither of those teams have someone that can help our bench. That and not be a bad contract.

Markeiff Morris, wouldn't mind trying to get him. I like him better than Tyler. Morris is kinda burried on that team.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Pacers can trade Memphis Green. Who's gonna play SF for Memphis? Dudley is a sg, right? Or can he play SF too?

Neither of those teams have someone that can help our bench. That and not be a bad contract.

Markeiff Morris, wouldn't mind trying to get him. I like him better than Tyler. Morris is kinda burried on that team.
    Jared Dudley can play SF, just not nearly as well as Rudy Gay.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Dudley is a 3/4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    Dudley is a 3/4
    Heh ESPN has him listed as a sg. That's why I was asking. He's 6'7", he'd be very small at the 4 position.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

This is simple finances here. It has nothing to do with "better basketball".

The Griz are like 4million over the cap this year.

This is very analogous to what Denver did with Nene. They aren't getting enough juice from the squeeze with Gay. He's got a freaking massive contract that gives them no flexibility to make other moves.

He also happens to be shooting 41% for the year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

White I think this is a combination of the on-court product and a budgetary concern, it probably has more to do with the money than the player. Don't get me wrong, I don't like Gay's game at all and I think he's tremendously overpaid for what he provides, but this reeks of a potential salary dump to me.

I'd almost do a Dudley for Gay trade straight up, or maybe have Phoenix throw in a protected future pick, because Dudley brings great value at his salary, can shoot with range better than Gay, and is a better fit on the Memphis roster that has guys capable of creating high-percentage shots. I'd rather have a role player that's going to be reliable off the catch-and-shoot that will also bust his *** on defense than Gay.

If these two teams make a deal, I'd bet on it being Dudley/Wes Johnson/Shannon Brown/protected 1st for Gay and Tony Wroten.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    Dudley is a 3/4
    I'm guessing you meant 2/3, because he doesn't play a lot of 4... and he likely wouldn't in Memphis either.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

It's strange to see how drastic the differences of opinions are on this deal.

Some people, including a lot of Suns fans, think it's awful for Phoenix. They want no part of Gay's low-efficiency chucking and monstrous contract, and realize that Dudley's been the better player this season.

Still, others see Rudy Gay as a borderline All-Star talent, so to be able to land him while giving up a small collection of role players is a coupe.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't think Gay does anything for Phoenix this season, but he's still young and can be a good building block for the future. This is basically a free agency redo after striking out on Eric Gordon this past summer. If they have the cap freedom to be able to swallow his huge, dramatically overpaid contract for the next 1.5 seasons, and it seems they do, I see it as a good move for the Suns.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Heh ESPN has him listed as a sg. That's why I was asking. He's 6'7", he'd be very small at the 4 position.
    Dudley plays SG and SF this year.

I don't see how in the world they can get a deal done. I just don't see the salaries matching up and Memphis getting enough to make this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    I'm guessing you meant 2/3, because he doesn't play a lot of 4... and he likely wouldn't in Memphis either.
    For some reason I think he played four In phoenix a few times...

Memphis should not trade Gay. They've have a great start to this season. They should not downgrade their roster for no reason
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Not sure why Phoenix isn't tanking. The moves they are making are going to keep them mediocre.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

This to me is clearly Memphis doing some trawling for offers. Other GMs see an offer they can beat and it gets them to make the phone call. This allows Memphis to push for a slight roster adjustment rather than the "rebuild" it's portrayed as. This might involve some salary reduction or adjustment or maybe just adjusting how they see the pieces fitting together.

But NFW they are punting on the year with the best defense in the league rolling along. OKC, LAC, SAS and MEM are the big 4 and look locked in to me, and they are on the cusp of surpassing SAS due to age. GSW is nice but they are driven by pure shooting which might not play as well in the postseason.

Pretty sad that a contending team from a small market is forced to subtract from its roster due to financial restrictions. Hope that won't happen to the Pacers when West and George will demand new contracts. Imagine they field calls for, say, Granger next summer and demand someone like Dudley in return to somewhat fill the gap.

Of course the Memphis ownership sees it more from the business-side than fans do, but still an alarming development.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    It's strange to see how drastic the differences of opinions are on this deal.

Some people, including a lot of Suns fans, think it's awful for Phoenix. They want no part of Gay's low-efficiency chucking and monstrous contract, and realize that Dudley's been the better player this season.

Still, others see Rudy Gay as a borderline All-Star talent, so to be able to land him while giving up a small collection of role players is a coupe.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't think Gay does anything for Phoenix this season, but he's still young and can be a good building block for the future. This is basically a free agency redo after striking out on Eric Gordon this past summer. If they have the cap freedom to be able to swallow his huge, dramatically overpaid contract for the next 1.5 seasons, and it seems they do, I see it as a good move for the Suns.
    Gay is a better defender than Dudley and fits what Memphis is doing on that end better due to length. Dudley is talented and a good "other guy" for a starting unit with 3 main guys and 2 others, but Gay is one of the 3 main guys.

I can see the interest in the added 3pt shooting, but both teams need that help. With Gay going to PHX they end up in a position where they need to add 2 outside shooters instead of just 1. If they were doing this deal in a way that kept Dudley and Gortat then I can see why they'd want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by pathil275 View Post
    Pretty sad that a contending team from a small market is forced to subtract from its roster due to financial restrictions. Hope that won't happen to the Pacers when West and George will demand new contracts. Imagine they field calls for, say, Granger next summer and demand someone like Dudley in return to somewhat fill the gap.

Of course the Memphis ownership sees it more from the business-side than fans do, but still an alarming development.
    I think more gets made of small-market than fits. Any team takes the luxury tax hit so the key at that point is to have an owner willing to pay abnormal operating costs. But this is not the same as a team with such poor attendance they can't even pay out a normal amount of salary.

Right now the tax is pretty harsh and most teams actively avoid it (including Cuban who gave up Chandler and Kidd). The primary barrier is still the cap because it limits what you can do to adjust your business, so teams are always looking for smarter deals and all of them end up expressing regret on bad contracts via deals they make to get out from under them later.

If Memphis was getting 19m out of Gay in a Lebron kinda way then they wouldn't think twice about trading him. It's the output vs cost that hurts here, far more than being a small market.

I don't think Dallas' decision to let Chandler et all walk was based on the punitive luxury tax. They let them rather walk to gain the flexibility to absorb contracts in future trades.

In general you will agree that it is much easier to pay the luxury tax if you have a big tv contract, sold-out arenas on a nightly basis, and so on. Typically bigger market teams operate under these circumstances. The Pacers on the other hand..

But I agree that it eventually depends on the owner's willingness to spend and I think the Pacers' owner is more willing to spend than his Memphis counterpart (although the jury is still out there, haven't read much about their new ownership group).

Basketball-wise I bthink it would hurt the Grizzlies to replace Gay with Dudley. That Gay's salary is a little steep seems obvious though. A lot would depends on how they use the newly gained financial flexibility.

Makes a lot of sense for the Grizzlies IMO.
    Dudley is a very good player, works hard on the defensive end, much better shooter from downtown, much much cheaper and more effective than Gay.
    2011 playoffs Grizzlies were one heck of a team

It could be a good thing for Gay and his athletic abilities to play at a higher pace, but I'm not sure this is the right direction for the Suns.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to MvPlumlee For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MvPlumlee View Post
    Makes a lot of sense for the Grizzlies IMO.
    Dudley is a very good player, works hard on the defensive end, much better shooter from downtown, much much cheaper and more effective than Gay.

2011 playoffs Grizzlies were one heck of a team

It could be a good thing for Gay and his athletic abilities to play at a higher pace, but I'm not sure this is the right direction for the Suns.
    Would you trade Danny for Dudley? I wouldn't even trade an injured Danny for Dudley+pick, that deal is stupid for Memphis.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Memphis should not trade Gay. They've have a great start to this season. They should not downgrade their roster for no reason
    It's not for "No reason", it's for a very specific reason....to get under the 2013-2014 LT. Team Owners are afraid of the LT...and a Non-Large Market Team like the Grizzlies doesn't want to pay the LT....enough to consider making a move like this.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post: