Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garnett's "jerk tour" continues with NY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Garnett's "jerk tour" continues with NY

Wait a minute, could KG be doing us a favor if theres no Melo on Thursday?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait a minute, could KG be doing us a favor if theres no Melo on Thursday?
    Making up for his "accidental" hit on Tyler?

any word on carmelo suspension?
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

They will wait til after the TNT game, have to please the sponsors lol

I would rather Melo play...

No excuses...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Yea, I just read what KG said to Melo. I can now understand why he was so adamant to go after him, doubt that goes away quickly.

I'll also join in on the group of people who are amazed that this is how Garnett ended up. As a second year player on a post game interview he was talking about getting shoved around vs the Pacers and his big response was to say "nobody messes with big Dale". Obviously he was talking about Dale Davis.

As to all time league enforcers? That would be a great list to compile some day & I'm certain that Oakley's name would have to be mentioned. For me though Maurice Lucas is probably the name most thought of with enforcement but over the years there have been a lot.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Suppose to issue suspension decision tomorrow according to ESPN. Melo is to make his case, then league will decide after that. So I dont see how they could avoid the TNT game.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    The big problem with retaliation is that this is usually the person that gets caught and takes the brunt of the punishment. Maybe if they review a specific play and can see clear instigation, but if goes back even one trip down the floor and the refs weren't on it then you are screwed.

KGs stuff and flopping are the two worst aspects that have bled into NBA ball. It's a great game when played and ref'd correctly.

This!! In NBA and NFL, usually the person retaliating gets caught.

And speaking of flopping....I thought they were gonna put a stop to that?

For the first 3 or 4 years in the league Garnett played a lot of minutes at the three (Gugliatta was the PF) for T-Wolves and although not overly physical was an incredibly disruptive force on defense. I watched him literally swallow up Chris Mullins in one game and still manage to disrupt passing lanes, block shots off weak side help etc. etc. He had length, lateral quickness and great instincts.

Attitude wise he was always a bit of a punk but that never started showing up in his game until later years when the athleticism that made him a special player started to diminish. Too many people associate KG's style of play with the Celtics years. He was a much different type of player early in his career.

Doesn't excuse the current BS but it is how he has adapted to the mileage on the chassis. Many are also correct in saying that current players give him to much deference when he pulls this stuff. KG does not have enforcer DNA and if confronted by a true BA he couldn't back it up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    For the first 3 or 4 years in the league Garnett played a lot of minutes at the three (Gugliatta was the PF) for T-Wolves and although not overly physical was an incredibly disruptive force on defense. I watched him literally swallow up Chris Mullins in one game and still manage to disrupt passing lanes, block shots off weak side help etc. etc. He had length, lateral quickness and great instincts.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Imagine anyone trying anything on Oakley. Is he the toughest badass in NBA history?
    Thing about Oakley was that, as a young player with the Bulls and Knicks, he was skilled too. He was a solid 13-and-13 guy from '85-'91 that shot 75% from the line for his career.

He didn't get suspended all that often... He had seven seasons where he was tied for the league lead in games played (82, except for the lockout season where he played all 50.) I with basketball-reference had stats on player ejections. If its there, can somebody show me where?

Oakley was an enforcer in the context of playing the game of basketball. He wasn't just a goon out there to hurt somebody, his team relied on his production as a player, too.

Now, we've all seen him put a shot onto somebody as the enforcer. I'm just saying that was his second job, and his first job was to play powerforward at both ends of the court.

So he belongs on the toughest badass list, but we'd never know anything about him if he wasn't also a quality ball player. Lots of other teams tried to match him with physcial guys that were tough but weren't ballplayers. Buck Williams (my favorite of that era), Oakley, even Terry Cummings who wasn't likely to cheapshot anyone but was tough as nails... in that day PFs were both skilled and tough. Today it seems most are either one or the other.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers84 View Post
    Suppose to issue suspension decision tomorrow according to ESPN. Melo is to make his case, then league will decide after that. So I dont see how they could avoid the TNT game.
    The league deciding not to decide til after the TNT game seems the obvious way to avoid it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Uhm... KG just did us a favor y'all.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

NBA announces New York's Carmelo Anthony suspended one game for confronting Boston's Kevin Garnett in arena tunnel this week
    Expand
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

"I don't mess with West" ECKrueger's Avatar

Dang it, now it is a lose-lose pretty much. We beat them, it is because they were without Melo. They beat us, we lost to a team without Melo.

Of course we don't have Danny, but people will pass over that.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Not a surprise. They had to suspend Anthony, just to make the point that any player who does that will receive a suspension.

And I have to say, I can't believe anyone thought they'd wait until after the TNT game. That might have been one of the silliest thoughts in the history of Pacers Digest. The NBA always suspends players before their next game, and no one can find an example of when they haven't. You're better posters than that.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

But they do have Amare back, and we also might be without GHill. Seems fair enough We are without two of our best at pg/sf and so are they. shouldn't be too many excuses.

@LetsTalkPacers

Undefeated

That's hilarious. Shame Carmelo, I was looking forward to watching you play Thurs. Also shame that Carmelo didn't kick Garnett's Douche bag ***.
    Danger Zone

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Yea, I just read what KG said to Melo. I can now understand why he was so adamant to go after him, doubt that goes away quickly.

I'll also join in on the group of people who are amazed that this is how Garnett ended up. As a second year player on a post game interview he was talking about getting shoved around vs the Pacers and his big response was to say "nobody messes with big Dale". Obviously he was talking about Dale Davis.

As to all time league enforcers? That would be a great list to compile some day & I'm certain that Oakley's name would have to be mentioned. For me though Maurice Lucas is probably the name most thought of with enforcement but over the years there have been a lot.
    You're amazed at what he's become? He's always been this guy. Apparently you forget (or don't know) that in 99 I think? Garnett on Mother's Day as Tim Duncan was about to shoot free throws allegedly said "Happy mother's day mother ****er", now you might think he was calling Duncan a girl, but if you know Duncan's story more in depth (as KG clearly did), you would know that Duncan's mother died of cancer (apparently KG really thinks cancer is hilarious, see his comments towards Charlie V. in Detroit some 10+ years later) when he was 14, and is the reason he stayed and got his degree at Wake Forest because he had promised her he would. KG has always been a completely self centered Dbag. I'm honestly surprised Duncan didn't beat the **** out of him right then and there and rid us of another 13 years of KG being an asshat, but Duncan as he has proven since the day he entered in league is KG's superior in every way including at being a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    You're amazed at what he's become? He's always been this guy. Apparently you forget (or don't know) that in 99 I think? Garnett on Mother's Day as Tim Duncan was about to shoot free throws allegedly said "Happy mother's day mother ****er", now you might think he was calling Duncan a girl, but if you know Duncan's story more in depth (as KG clearly did), you would know that Duncan's mother died of cancer (apparently KG really thinks cancer is hilarious, see his comments towards Charlie V. in Detroit some 10+ years later) when he was 14, and is the reason he stayed and got his degree at Wake Forest because he had promised her he would. KG has always been a completely self centered Dbag. I'm honestly surprised Duncan didn't beat the **** out of him right then and there and rid us of another 13 years of KG being an asshat, but Duncan as he has proven since the day he entered in league is KG's superior in every way including at being a man.
    No I’m not surprised he became a loudmouth blowhard I’m surprised he was able to become a physical intimidator like he has become. You have to understand when he was younger his body structure was a lot more Paul George than it was Kevin Willis.

To his credit over the years he has transformed into a rock hard physic.

Like I said I still remember the young kid who all but turned around and ran when Dale Davis gave him a look & even after the game said this word for word “nobody messes with big Dale”.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Ah I misunderstood what you were saying.

I don't know I guess I still don't consider KG an enforcer who has he ever really squared off with? Seems most of his confrontations that get physical are with bench guys.

but Duncan as he has proven since the day he entered in league is KG's superior in every way including at being a man.
    This! Garnett has been the embodiment of "fake tough" since his first NBA game. But the single best retort to any cheap crap KG does is, I would imagine, the two words "Tim Duncan." I just love that this clown happened to play at the same time as Duncan. A guy like Garnett truly deserves to outclassed in every way possible by a rival contemporary PF. I bet it drives him absolutely nuts, the egomaniac that KG is.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Did he really? That's disgusting. When you think you can't disrespect a player more than you already do...

I know it's popular to hate on KG, but Melo is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too thin skinned for an NBA superstar if this sort of comment causes him to overreact like that. Just tell Garnett to f off and kick his *** on the court. It's pretty stupid to hang around the Celtics' bus, which is obviously going to lead to a suspension and potentially screw your team in a crucial game against the Pacers. I'm sure Garnett has said worse things.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

And that makes it acceptable? There is a line that shouldn't be crossed and Garnett has apparently crossed it too any times. For those interested, there is a clip on TMZ (I know....) with Melo and Garnett outside the bus.

For the record, yes Garnett has said worse things. For example talking to Duncan and saying "Happy Mother's Day, mother****er" when he knew Duncan had lost his mother.

Trash talk eh...?
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth