Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garnett's "jerk tour" continues with NY

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Garnett's "jerk tour" continues with NY

So less than a week after bashing Tyler's face in and getting the Flag 2 ejection, good old Mr. Friendly gets a double tech with Melo.

After the game Melo goes to confront KG and it reaches a level that involves the police and security doing a little restraint work.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...8804--nba.html

The Yahoo story has some video of Melo waiting for KG after the game, as well as the original double tech.

My question is when does KG start to get a little bit more of an Artest rep with the league office. His rep for pushing over the line, going over the top and getting physically cheap is pretty well known. So when does he start to see more "rep" based fines/suspensions meant to curb his behavior? To me enough's enough, and 2 incidents in a week? Sounds like he needs some time off due to stress.

I realize this is Melo going to confront him, but I'm guessing KG wasn't exactly a harmless victim in the matter. Melo clearly felt that KG went way past normal game behavior.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Garnett's "jerk tour" continues with NY

My question is why don't more people stand up to KG? He has proven that he only messes with players that he doesn't think will stand up for themselves. As soon as a player does step to him he backs down. I'm still disgusted at our supposed "smashmouth" team for allowing him to do what he did to Tyler with no one so much as raising their voice to him. It was a blowout game so it's not like anyone had to fear a technical FT costing us the game. Roy was 5 feet away from the play and looked to be almost slightly mildly upset about the foul.
    Grown Man Ball

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My question is why don't more people stand up to KG? He has proven that he only messes with players that he doesn't think will stand up for themselves. As soon as a player does step to him he backs down. I'm still disgusted at our supposed "smashmouth" team for allowing him to do what he did to Tyler with no one so much as raising their voice to him. It was a blowout game so it's not like anyone had to fear a technical FT costing us the game. Roy was 5 feet away from the play and looked to be almost slightly mildly upset about the foul.

Makes you long for the good ol' days when our hotheaded, immature punks would stop playing basketball (or tucking dollar bills into g-strings) and start fighting at the first hint that one of their brothers had been dissed. Maybe even launch a fight against an entire arena of drunk, badly behaving fans, or shoot their guns liberally.

On second thought...

But seriously, and with less green font than above, there should still be some level of "stand up for my guys" that doesn't equate to "lose all common sense". The best way to deal with Garnett, though, is to win the game, point to the scoreboard, and walk away. Sadly, when he's up 20, who cares if we stand up to him or not? He doesn't. He can point to the scoreboard.

It still amazes me that one of the softest guys of the 1990s and early 2000s is now a cheap-shot punk. This guy used to refuse to put a body on anyone. If he showed 1% of this physcial-ness earlier in his career, Minnesota might have made some deep playoff runs with him.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Makes you long for the good ol' days when our hotheaded, immature punks would stop playing basketball (or tucking dollar bills into g-strings) and start fighting at the first hint that one of their brothers had been dissed. Maybe even launch a fight against an entire arena of drunk, badly behaving fans, or shoot their guns liberally.

On second thought...

But seriously, and with less green font than above, there should still be some level of "stand up for my guys" that doesn't equate to "lose all common sense". The best way to deal with Garnett, though, is to win the game, point to the scoreboard, and walk away. Sadly, when he's up 20, who cares if we stand up to him or not? He doesn't. He can point to the scoreboard.

It still amazes me that one of the softest guys of the 1990s and early 2000s is now a cheap-shot punk. This guy used to refuse to put a body on anyone. If he showed 1% of this physcial-ness earlier in his career, Minnesota might have made some deep playoff runs with him.
    I most definitely didn't want anyone flying off the handle throwing punches but for no one to even say anything was pretty hard to see. He basically slapped us in the face and we dropped our heads and walked away.
    Grown Man Ball

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I most definitely didn't want anyone flying off the handle throwing punches but for no one to even say anything was pretty hard to see. He basically slapped us in the face and we dropped our heads and walked away.
    I agree with you but it's possible that his teammates didn't see what happened.

Noah called it a couple of seasons ago when he made the statement that KG is a dirty player.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...ty-player-quot

10. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm a strong believer in you let your play speak and not to sink to the level of a dirty player. Step in and protect your players, but don't get yourself thrown out or start throwing punches, but do let KG know that you're a united team. Now, if in the next few possessions, KG would catch an elbow or knee during an overzealous box out, it happens. Kind of like the self-regulating that baseball used to be able to do.

Would be nice though to see him treated the way he treats others to see him get his own medicine.

Why the league doesn't monitor his activities closer, another one of those Stern mysteries...

Guess they don't want to spoil the image of one of their superstars. DWade gets similar treatment.
    Last edited by MyFavMartin; 01-08-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Anthony Peeler will stand up to KG
    Give the ball to your best playmakers to win

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Smith For This Useful Post:

Of all players on our team, I think Tyler is the one who should stand up to him. Tyler would probably make a better football player than ball player. He's a big strong guy. All he has to do is get his hands on the same rebound that Garnett gets his hands on and let nature take its course. I think Hansbrough is capable of flinging Garnett around and then putting his body/shoulders/knees into him. And if Garnett pulls him down, Hansbrough has to be savvy enoughy to go down on him knees first.

It's time for somebody to take Garnett out... Within the flow of the game, of course. Wink-wink.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

KG's been a cheap shot artist since day 1 in the NBA. I lived in Minnesota until shortly before the big trade with Boston and I saw it in person many times. He's my least favorite NBA player not on the Heat.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

You know if you look at the interaction with Melo what you see at the very end of their post position fighting is that KG ends it with a FOREARM PUNCH, basically identical to what he did with Tyler and played off as "trying to reach 3 feet through this dudes head and shoulders to get the ball".

Noah mentioned elbows 2 years ago and I think this general "hit with anything but the hands" is what has guys getting ticked off. Once you notice it a little you start to see him doing it a lot, using the forearm or elbow to "punch" people when he's frustrated or trying to intimidate them. That's where he is "toeing the line" I think. Man, just talking about it and getting reminders of his prior stuff just gets me PO'd all over again.

BTW, we have to realize that Roy is just not going to confront people that way. He's a guy that wants to smooth things over rather than be confrontational. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, at least at this stage in his career. Maybe in a few years he'll find a way to balance those instincts against standing up to a bully player.

id rather have the spurs mentality and take the high road. no need to get suspended a game for doing something that doesnt help you win. he wants you to stoop to his level. one of the biggest punks in the nba for sure. his pg isnt far behind.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Someone on the Pacers has to give him a taste of his own medicine next time we play them.
    Seems like a job to do for the biggest body on our team, but something tells me Hibbert is more an expensive shot type of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers84 View Post
    id rather have the spurs mentality and take the high road. no need to get suspended a game for doing something that doesnt help you win. he wants you to stoop to his level. one of the biggest punks in the nba for sure. his pg isnt far behind.
    I don't think he wants you to stoop to his level at all. When someone does, he tones it down a bit, depending on how the calls go. What he wants is to get away with it, without being called for the infraction, and for you to back down into a less aggressive/forceful game. If you are the one guarding him and you back off even a little because you are fearful of his elbows or whatever, he has gained an advantage. Same thing goes if he is the man on defense and you start taking all jump shots rather than occasionally slashing to the basket.

A ruffian more often than not is about gaining an advantage for himself or his team. When you are willing to meet force or intimidation with force of your own, more than half the time the other guy backs down. You have to pick your spots carefully, but this is true on AND off a basketball court. The most important thing to prove is that you are ready and willing "if it goes there". Once that willingness is established, it usually stops at that point. If it goes further, there are only two important factors... Be the retaliatory (not the initiator) and WIN.

The big problem with retaliation is that this is usually the person that gets caught and takes the brunt of the punishment. Maybe if they review a specific play and can see clear instigation, but if goes back even one trip down the floor and the refs weren't on it then you are screwed.

KGs stuff and flopping are the two worst aspects that have bled into NBA ball. It's a great game when played and ref'd correctly.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

watch the videos. garnett gets pissed when you laugh off his antics. video of lebron/d12/parker and so on. high road
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

"Jerk Tour"
    LMAO

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

So Carmelo was the one who followed him to the locker room and waited at the Celtics team bus...

so what are we going to set regulations on trash talk now? No more swear words? lol

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    KG's been a cheap shot artist since day 1 in the NBA. I lived in Minnesota until shortly before the big trade with Boston and I saw it in person many times. He's my least favorite NBA player not on the Heat.
    while i haven't seen every one of his games- i have seen enough to know he is a dirty, cheap-shot artist. talented as hell, but dirty to. and like others have said, he really likes to go after those he thinks he can get away with it. i saw him get antonio mcdysse angry with dirty play and when kg saw he was gonna get blasted for it, he all of a sudden turned attempted peace keeper since i think he wanted to keep his original teeth.
    he is one of those fake-tough guys.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I miss when basketball was played by men instead of the ballet they are trying to put on now. In the late 80's, Garnett would have gotten his *** kicked regularly for pulling the **** he does.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I miss when basketball was played by men instead of the ballet they are trying to put on now. In the late 80's, Garnett would have gotten his *** kicked regularly for pulling the **** he does.
    In the 80's he just wouldn't have done the stuff that he does. Imagine little scrawny Kevin Garnett trying to act tough to Rick Mahorn or Charles Oakley.
    Grown Man Ball

30. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Ironic that KG's the focus of this thread.

I agree with Kornheiser and Wilbon. You HAVE to suspend for Carmelo Anthony for attempting to confront Garnett in front of Boston's bus, simply for precedence. You can't have players doing that. You don't know what could happen.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

In the 80's he just wouldn't have done the stuff that he does. Imagine little scrawny Kevin Garnett trying to act tough to Rick Mahorn or Charles Oakley.
    Imagine anyone trying anything on Oakley. Is he the toughest badass in NBA history?

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Imagine anyone trying anything on Oakley. Is he the toughest badass in NBA history?
    Calvin Murphy. Just ask Sidney Wicks.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

I feel like he's gotten dirtier as he's aged. Even as a lifelong KG fan, it's getting to be a bit much. There's being a cagey veteran, and there's being a tool. He's pretty close to the shed.

I'm not condoning Melo's choice of how to deal with it. I'm saying that Melo just joins a long list of guys getting pretty ticked off at KG's behavior. And it wasn't just trash talk, KG was pushing the boundaries of legal physical play just a few days after his attempted frontal lobotomy of Tyler via blunt force trauma.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post: