Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers have signed Frank Vogel to a contract extension.

Default Pacers have signed Frank Vogel to a contract extension.

Just got word from the Pacers via e-mail.

No terms revealed from the club, but expect Wells to have it soon.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pacer..._35507_2909796

"This is a good deal for Frank and the franchise," said Pacers President of Basketball Operations Donnie Walsh. "Frank has done a great job turning our team around since he became coach and deserves the chance to continue the work he and his staff have started."

Said Vogel, “I’m honored that Donnie, Kevin (General Manager Pritchard) and Mr. Simon (owner Herb Simon) have such belief and faith in me to be their coach in the foreseeable future. We’ve established a great connection with our community the last two years, both on and off the court and I look forward to continuing that."

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Default Pacers Extend Vogel

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pacer...ogel-extension

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indiana Pacers announced Monday they have signed head coach Frank Vogel to a contract extension. Per team policy, no terms were revealed.

Vogel is in his third year as Pacers coach after taking over on Jan. 30, 2011. Going into Tuesday night’s home game with Miami, Vogel has coached exactly 100 games, compiling a 62-38 record. Last season, the Pacers had a 42-24 record, fifth best in the NBA and reached the Eastern Conference Semifinals before losing to eventual NBA champion Miami.

"This is a good deal for Frank and the franchise," said Pacers President of Basketball Operations Donnie Walsh. "Frank has done a great job turning our team around since he became coach and deserves the chance to continue the work he and his staff have started."

Said Vogel, “I’m honored that Donnie, Kevin (General Manager Pritchard) and Mr. Simon (owner Herb Simon) have such belief and faith in me to be their coach in the foreseeable future. We’ve established a great connection with our community the last two years, both on and off the court and I look forward to continuing that."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers Extend Vogel

I'm indifferent.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers have signed Frank Vogel to a contract extension.

It'll be interesting to see how many years it is for. I'm going to guess two years.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

J7F

I am glad he has shown a lot of growth this season.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm all for our team growing as Frank grows.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

Fantastic decision.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

I say this in all seriousness. Between knowledge of the game, connecting with the players, public relations & just overall presence I believe that if he stays beyond his current contract that we will have the second most important coach in Pacers history. Second only to Slick Leonard.

Right now he is behind Brown, Bird & Carlisle but he's not as far behind them as you might think. Remember I'm factoring in a lot here, not just his X's & O's or player substitutions.

I'm talking about Frank Vogel being the face of this franchise, like Slick was and to a point still is to this day.

He'll probably never be the X & O guy that Brown or Carlisle was and he will probably never be able to connect with the players and command their respect like Bird did. But IMO he has a command of both that only Slick has had up until now.

There is a reason my avatar has been the Indiana Fighting Vogels for almost two years. BTW that phrase was coined by none other than Ernie Johnson of TNT fame.

This is the best front office decision they have made all year and frankly probably the best front office decision that Walsh has made in over a decade.

I believe in Frank.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

16. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say this in all seriousness. Between knowledge of the game, connecting with the players, public relations & just overall presence I believe that if he stays beyond his current contract that we will have the second most important coach in Pacers history. Second only to Slick Leonard.

Right now he is behind Brown, Bird & Carlisle but he's not as far behind them as you might think. Remember I'm factoring in a lot here, not just his X's & O's or player substitutions.

I'm talking about Frank Vogel being the face of this franchise, like Slick was and to a point still is to this day.

He'll probably never be the X & O guy that Brown or Carlisle was and he will probably never be able to connect with the players and command their respect like Bird did. But IMO he has a command of both that only Slick has had up until now.

There is a reason my avatar has been the Indiana Fighting Vogels for almost two years. BTW that phrase was coined by none other than Ernie Johnson of TNT fame.

This is the best front office decision they have made all year and frankly probably the best front office decision that Walsh has made in over a decade.

I believe in Frank.
    Here, here!!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5_7_Clash For This Useful Post:

where's paul george's?
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

I remember when Frank took over, someone tweeted that an NBA exec compared him to a JV coach going straight to a Division 1 school.

I wonder if that guy still has a job.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pacers.com Guest Blog Post -- Invading The Target Center Post
    Area 55 Conquers Staples Center -- (Honorary) Area 55 Family Invades Target Center!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

The only thing that really worries me about Frank, is how he's going to react if he has to put his foot down with a(the) player(s). Maybe he's already done it, and it just went over smoothly we never really knew, but the buddy-type coach who sings everyone's praises can't be used for all bumpy roads.

It will just be interesting when we see a nastier side of Frank, and how players will react.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    I'm indifferent.
    Me too. While I love Fank and his great motivational speeches. Part of me still feels that Shaw is more head coach material. Nothing to base that on, but I just wish Shaw and Vogel would swap titles.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

27. The Following User Says Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I remember when Frank took over, someone tweeted that an NBA exec compared him to a JV coach going straight to a Division 1 school.

I wonder if that guy still has a job.
    At the time I think it was accurate, but it just gave Vogel the chance to grow and prove that he deserved the position.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    The only thing that really worries me about Frank, is how he's going to react if he has to put his foot down with a(the) player(s). Maybe he's already done it, and it just went over smoothly we never really knew, but the buddy-type coach who sings everyone's praises can't be used for all bumpy roads.

It will just be interesting when we see a nastier side of Frank, and how players will react.
    I don't have the articles at my fingertips, but I distinctly remember seeing several mentions in Mike's blog at the Star last year and early this year about Frank laying into people and challenging them in an aggressive manner. There was a quote from a player that said something to the effect of "his doesn't do it all the time, which is all the more reason to listen when he does."

I think he just doesn't do it in public. He saw how well that worked with this group of guys.

Still on the Vogel wagon and excited about this move. He's had several bumps in the road and he's made adjustments. I think he's an above average coach now and in 5-10 years he'll be cited as one of the best in the NBA.
    Last edited by gummy; 01-07-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

He already has had to do that with James Posey.

I can tell you from sitting near the bench that 90% of the time he is all smiles and head nods with the refs. but believe me when he feels they have messed something up he let's loose with the venacular that should only be uttered by Satan sitting on the toilet.

I've also seen him go after Lance when he came out of a game when he screwed up. He wasn't beligerant with him but he certainly was firm.

Now the difference with him is that later he came down and talked with Lance again, rubbed him on the head and both went away smiling.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

33. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

He's put his foot down a few times successfully. It actually has more impact when a person is generally on the nicer side of things.

The absolute best thing about Frank, is that he does not believe he is always right, and clearly willing and able to learn from others around him. And he's willing to ask for help. His team comes before his pride.
    Last edited by Sookie; 01-07-2013 at 05:50 PM.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    I don't have the articles at my fingertips, but I distinctly remember seeing several mentions in Mike's blog at the Star last year and early this year about Frank laying into people and challenging them in an aggressive manner. There was a quote from a player that said something to the effect of "his doesn't do it all the time, which is all the more reason to listen when he does.

I think he just doesn't do it in public. He saw how well that worked with this group of guys.

Still on the Vogel wagon and excited about this move. He's had several bumps in the road and he's made adjustments. I think he's an above average coach now and in 5-10 years he'll be cited as one of the best in the NBA.
    I think there is something to not blowing up all the time like a lot of coaches do. The kind of coaches that blow up a lot are probably the coaches that lose their players the quickest as the blowing up losses all meaning. All that goes through their brains is, "Here he goes again. (eyeroll)" I also think that was what made Dungy such a good coach. While guys like Brown fizzle out in two years.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

I believe in Frank.
    Wow Peck that is quite an endorsement. I hope your prediction comes true.

I will say that it has felt like a breath of much-needed fresh air since Vogel took over in 2011. He's got room to grow in many areas but has already shown that he is willing to learn/grow/adapt when needed. Very excited to have him for the next few years.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

He already has had to do that with James Posey.

I can tell you from sitting near the bench that 90% of the time he is all smiles and head nods with the refs. but believe me when he feels they have messed something up he let's loose with the venacular that should only be uttered by Satan sitting on the toilet.

I've also seen him go after Lance when he came out of a game when he screwed up. He wasn't beligerant with him but he certainly was firm.

Now the difference with him is that later he came down and talked with Lance again, rubbed him on the head and both went away smiling.
    A personal experience about Frank:

During the Utah game, a call had gone against us a possession earlier (I can't remember what it was) and Frank was casually talking to the ref. Then Green worked a pick and roll, and started to drive the lane, in mid-sentence Frank stops whatever he was saying--turns to the ref and says "watch this", as Green dunks on Earl Watson and gets the and-1. Frank laughs and tells the ref, I told you--then carries on the rest of the conversation...Priceless.

41. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

People, you also got to remember. Part of being a great leader is finding and bringing in great assistants. Ghengis Khan wouldn't have conquered most of the known world without selecting great generals who were loyal to him. Bird wouldn't have been such a good coach without Carlisle standing next to him. Being able to bring in a guy with the prestige of Shaw, and Shaw being willing to say no to head coaching jobs, is part of what will help Vogel be a good coach.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

*nevermind; already answered*

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Thank god because we all know from the JOB extension that players simply refuse to respect or play for any coach with a hint of "lame duck" status to them. Finally Danny will stop faking his injury and Roy will stop screwing around with his pretend bad shooting because they know they can't tank the team into firing Frank now.*

* there isn't a deep enough green to cover it

46. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Thank god because we all know from the JOB extension that players simply refuse to respect or play for any coach with a hint of "lame duck" status to them. Finally Danny will stop faking his injury and Roy will stop screwing around with his pretend bad shooting because they know they can't tank the team into firing Frank now.*

* there isn't a deep enough green to cover it
    The irony of course, is that we have Jimmy to thank for Frank.

I don't even dislike the guy anymore because of it. (alright, that's a lie..but I still appreciate the gift.)

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post: