Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 offseason

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2013 offseason

Yea, the receivers will need beefed up eventually, but that position isn't as glaring as say our O and D lines. Wayne can't play forever, we have Hilton who I think will be a very good contributor, but outside of that... could use some touching up. We'll have to get a replacement for Reggie eventually.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What do you mean, did you mean to say Can't find? Also do not just look at Morris as super, their running game was good, but that is because his running style fit their system, and they run as system that is running back friendly, put him on the Colts, and I would believe that he would have just a little bit better season than Ballard. The read option, ran well, is a QB, RB and WR's best friend
    I think they can find a RB, either by draft or FA. Someone better than Ballard, who by no means is bad himself.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Yea, the receivers will need beefed up eventually, but that position isn't as glaring as say our O and D lines. Wayne can't play forever, we have Hilton who I think will be a very good contributor, but outside of that... could use some touching up. We'll have to get a replacement for Reggie eventually.
    No question that the offensive line is a more glaring need. I hope I didn't insinuate otherwise. The d-line is hard to say because of the injuries we sustained there. The secondary is also a much more glaring need. But after the o-line and the secondary, the WR corps has to be right in the thick of the argument. I mean, really. Donnie Avery started!
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    We will have to find a #1 eventually but right now, we don't even have a #2. How can that be construed as not a bad situation? We've got a #1, a #3, and a couple of #6's.
    What do you mean, what makes you think Hilton can not be our #2 next year? you are writing off a Rookie that led all rookies in Td's, second by 4 yds in yardage, and like 3rd or 4th in receptions, in our scheme he fits as a #2 wr, we run a lot of WR screens, and deep routes, it is not like you have to have him going across the middle much. NFL is all about schemes and having the players to fit it, and in ours he fits very well.

Do you really think Mike Wallace would be a #1 receiver if he did not play in the system he was in?
    Why so SERIOUS

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I don't think T.Y. Hilton is a bad football player. I just think you need 3 WR's who can play. Especially in our offense. We currently have 2.

And yes, I think Mike Wallace could be a #1 WR. He's just as fast as T.Y. with better hands and size. But I wasn't advocating signing him specifically. Just somebody who is good enough to start. Honestly speaking only of the FA's, I would probably prefer Dwayne Bowe or Greg Jennings but we should be players for one of the top WR's on the market.

And obviously if Larry Fitzgerald is actually available, he's the top target and would be worth a hefty price. But that's not happening.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Thanks for the memories Dwight.... Just an early thought as players from our Super Bowl team slowly drift away. Hate to say it but our run defense should improve actually with Dwight gone.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I don't think T.Y. Hilton is a bad football player. I just think you need 3 WR's who can play. Especially in our offense. We currently have 2.

And yes, I think Mike Wallace could be a #1 WR. He's just as fast as T.Y. with better hands and size. But I wasn't advocating signing him specifically. Just somebody who is good enough to start. Honestly speaking only of the FA's, I would probably prefer Dwayne Bowe or Greg Jennings but we should be players for one of the top WR's on the market.

And obviously if Larry Fitzgerald is actually available, he's the top target and would be worth a hefty price. But that's not happening.
    Ok, I think we need three as well, Avery will be gone and I am sure we will bring in someone else, but if Wallace is a #1 then T.Y. has to be a #2 in your view. T.Y. had 14 less catches and had 30 more yards and 1 less TD, also I believe Wallace had a higher drop rate this year on passes this year than Hilton, I do not believe he has good hands. Out of both of those receivers you listed above I would take a chance on Jennings before Bowe, Bowe also has iffy hands and has since he got into the league.

I could deal with Larry for our first but at the same time, I think Luck is good at spreading the ball around, we need young talent through the draft and taking on his contract would hit our pockets pretty hard, but he is a rare talent and would be terrific with the Colts, either way I think I would be okay.
    Why so SERIOUS

Ok, I think we need three as well, Avery will be gone and I am sure we will bring in someone else, but if Wallace is a #1 then T.Y. has to be a #2 in your view. T.Y. had 14 less catches and had 30 more yards and 1 less TD, also I believe Wallace had a higher drop rate this year on passes this year than Hilton, I do not believe he has good hands. Out of both of those receivers you listed above I would take a chance on Jennings before Bowe, Bowe also has iffy hands and has since he got into the league.

I could deal with Larry for our first but at the same time, I think Luck is good at spreading the ball around, we need young talent through the draft and taking on his contract would hit our pockets pretty hard, but he is a rare talent and would be terrific with the Colts, either way I think I would be okay.
    I think Andy Reid will make sure Bowe stays and of the 3 only Wallace and Jennings looks to be available.

I would take either one but Wallace is still young and all the injuries Jennings has had makes me want to pass on him.

Either way we are good for one more year but at some point the Colts will have to have a young number one wr that will develop with Luck.

O-line, D (all areas), WR depth - top priorities in that order.

Will be sad to see Freeney go, but the time has come both in terms of finances and defensive philosophy.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

As most people have said, #1 priority is offensive line. Not really debatable. I actually can't wait to see what Luck could do with ample time to throw.

After that we need to work on our D Line, Mathis aside we generate basically no pressure on opposing QBs which sucks. We need a 2nd Corner to pair with Vontae, I like Darius Butler I say we keep him as a Nickel.

And of course, the fun part Wide Receivers. Our WR core isn't awful but it could definitely use improvement. Reggie Wayne is obviously aging, T.Y Hilton is solid, Brazil will probably be average, and Avery kind of sucks. Mike Wallace is a name frequently discussed, but personally I'd much rather have Greg Jennings or Dwyane Bowe. (I have no idea what any of these guys' market values are though)

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

We keep the conditional 6th rounder that would have gone to Miami as part of the Davis trade. He didn't play enough snaps.

Personally, I think Brazill showed enough this year in limited duty to at least still be in play for a possible solid 3rd or 4th WR.

Avery started out hot, then faded as the season progressed. If the FO decides the best options that present themselves are not in the WR area, I could live with Avery a little longer as a stop gap, but certainly isn't a long-term fixture.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

14. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    We keep the conditional 6th rounder that would have gone to Miami as part of the Davis trade. He didn't play enough snaps.
    Yup, I think he had to play 65% of the snaps and he just missed it, but I am glad that we can keep the pick, it seems like the perfect position to take a chance on a player like Tyrann Mathieu or Ray Ray Armstrong, who both play positions of need for us.
    Why so SERIOUS

I see QB & TE as the only positions/units on this football team that are basically set. With the cap space and draft picks available I seriously hope the Colts are not targeting specific players like Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Tracey Porter, Jake Long etc. etc.

This team is not deep and some of its best players (Wayne, Mathis etc.) are aging. With the possible exception of O-Line help the Colts shouldn't reach in the draft or overpay in free agency for anybody. Other than keeping Luck upright value needs to take serious precedence over any positional need.

I'd rather see the Colts improve "up the middle" but if the value is there at one of the skill positions this team is not so set that they could afford to pass on the right guy.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    I see QB & TE as the only positions/units on this football team that are basically set. With the cap space and draft picks available I seriously hope the Colts are not targeting specific players like Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Tracey Porter, Jake Long etc. etc.

This team is not deep and some of its best players (Wayne, Mathis etc.) are aging. With the possible exception of O-Line help the Colts shouldn't reach in the draft or overpay in free agency for anybody. Other than keeping Luck upright value needs to take serious precedence over any positional need.

I'd rather see the Colts improve "up the middle" but if the value is there at one of the skill positions this team is not so set that they could afford to pass on the right guy.
    I agree that a lot of areas need to be targeted, but saying that the Colts should target player X does not mean they should overpay much for that player. But if you have player X that fits your scheme and adds a lot of value to what you are doing then you go ahead and overpay some, to me that is the case for Tracy Porter.

Also depth will only get you so far, you have to have starters that are good to contend, FA should be a time where you have a good balance of getting guys you feel will start, guys who can push them, guys with potential but not results, and guys you know will just add depth, while at the same time put yourself in good position financially for the future.
    Why so SERIOUS

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

I think it will help our receivers when Luck has more time to throw the ball and a better chance of putting the ball where the receivers like to catch it.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree.... but they also just need to catch the friggin ball. A LOT of his passes were completely catchable, even as he was throwing it with 2 linebackers hanging on to his legs. There were so many easily-catchable drops in the playoff game by our TEs and Ballard and Avery... and they just weren't focused. They had already turned their head up field.

Mood

I agree.... but they also just need to catch the friggin ball. A LOT of his passes were completely catchable, even as he was throwing it with 2 linebackers hanging on to his legs. There were so many easily-catchable drops in the playoff game by our TEs and Ballard and Avery... and they just weren't focused. They had already turned their head up field.
    This is true, but he really did not do this well through much of the season, a lot of bad throws, but if he can play like he did against Baltimore the majority of times next year we should be golden no matter who is on the line.... although it would be better if he simply had time.
    Why so SERIOUS

I agree that a lot of areas need to be targeted, but saying that the Colts should target player X does not mean they should overpay much for that player. But if you have player X that fits your scheme and adds a lot of value to what you are doing then you go ahead and overpay some, to me that is the case for Tracy Porter.

Also depth will only get you so far, you have to have starters that are good to contend, FA should be a time where you have a good balance of getting guys you feel will start, guys who can push them, guys with potential but not results, and guys you know will just add depth, while at the same time put yourself in good position financially for the future.
    Depth matters a lot when guys who should be special teams only contributors or practice squad fodder are starting games or on the field in key situations. See McGlynn, Sowell, Linkebach, Olsen, Mwelde Moore, Zibikowski, Lefeged, Jerry Hughes etc. etc. etc.

Injuries happen in the NFL and IMO the Colts won't win 8 games next year if they can't establish some reasonable depth with players who actually belong in the league let alone on the field. All of this seasons dead cap money was responsible for most of the issue but choosing well with how they spend those $$ in 2013 will determine how quickly (or not) the team can make the next step to Super Bowl relevant.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    Depth matters a lot when guys who should be special teams only contributors or practice squad fodder are starting games or on the field in key situations. See McGlynn, Sowell, Linkebach, Olsen, Mwelde Moore, Zibikowski, Lefeged, Jerry Hughes etc. etc. etc.

Injuries happen in the NFL and IMO the Colts won't win 8 games next year if they can't establish some reasonable depth with players who actually belong in the league let alone on the field. All of this seasons dead cap money was responsible for most of the issue but choosing well with how they spend those $$ in 2013 will determine how quickly (or not) the team can make the next step to Super Bowl relevant.
    That is cool and all, but typically starters play more than reserves through the season unless they just get beat out, and some of those guys were brought in for depth. The thing is when you have players that are there for depth they typically are not starter material, like the list that you put up there, they all have their issues and that is why we are able to afford them. If your backups were that good then they would not be backups and would be making a lot more.

All those guys are pretty much backups and had strong moments and week moments besides Zib(who was brought in to be a starter), and Moore who I hated that he was there, but in all honesty he is a decent 3rd down back, and was really 4th on the depth chart as far as 1st and 2nd down RB, but with Carter, and Brown hurt, and having to give Ballard a breather every now and then he had to get put in the game.
    Why so SERIOUS

Ballard had trouble catching the ball because he was so tired from running all game long
    "We want Miami"

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I remember one play, towards the end I think, when Ballard couldn't catch the ball. Tiredness had nothing to do with it.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Ballard had trouble catching the ball because he was so tired from running all game long
    Yeah Ballard is not a consistent pass catcher, it is what it is, nothing to do with tiredness
    Why so SERIOUS

Yeah Ballard is not a consistent pass catcher, it is what it is, nothing to do with tiredness
    Well neither was Donald Brown. Ballard rushes so much that he can't focus as much late in games to catch. Overall that was the worst game the Colts had offensively all year. Defensively, it was a solid game besides Anquan Boldin. 9 times out of 10 we put some touchdowns on the board and that would have been a way better game
    "We want Miami"

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Well neither was Donald Brown. Ballard rushes so much that he can't focus as much late in games to catch. Overall that was the worst game the Colts had offensively all year. Defensively, it was a solid game besides Anquan Boldin. 9 times out of 10 we put some touchdowns on the board and that would have been a way better game
    You are confused, that was actually one of the best overall games they had all year, the were more consistent in that game putting drives together throughout the game than any time this season. If it was not for the drops they would have won.

And do you mean neither is Donald Brown? I don't agree with the focus part, typically atleast with my experience even though you are tired late, when the game is on the line your adrenaline is pumping and you tend to focus better in key moments.

I will say that everyone is different and we are but just stating our opinions but the only way we would know would be to ask Ballard... anyone know if he has a twitter?
    Why so SERIOUS