Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 offseason

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 2013 offseason

I'm anticipating a strong off season for the Colts. Lots of cap room, nice draft spot to pick up a d lineman and others throughout the draft. They should sign RB Peyton Hillis. He would be a nice backup to Ballard. Hillis is a power back which would be a counter to Ballard's speed. They could also sign DB Tracy Porter, who could be a nice corner with Davis. I think those two, along with resigning Freeney and McAfee in free agency and drafting lineman on both sides along with another DB could help the Colts big time. OL is the biggest need
    "We want Miami"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: 2013 offseason

I agree that o-line is our #1 priority. We clearly need to address the o-line in the draft and free agency. FREENEY AND McAfee are also top priorities.

But, with 43 million in cap space, we can afford to splurge a little. I would spend 15 million of it right off the bat and send our first round pick over to Arizona for Larry Fitzgerald. He is unhappy there and they have a mutual need to ship him out. This will give us an Elite receiving core for Luck to throw to and an heir to the Wayne throne in 3 more years. Fitzgerald, Wayne, Hilton, Allen and Fleener... wow... Freeney, McAfee, Then I would fix that oline, secondary and depth with the remaining 20 or so mil and draft...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Build through the draft, get bargains in FA. Splurging for free agents is a recipe that never seems to work in the NFL. See: Snyder, Dan.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Freeney won't be back.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fitz will fetch WAY more than the 25th pick in the draft. And I agree, Freeney is done in Indy unless he just wants to take a paycut to stay here, but he didn't adjust to the 3-4 nearly as well as Mathis did.

Also, picking 25th isn't high enough to get a no doubt about it difference maker on the O-line. At that spot you have to either reach for a lower round prospect or hope one of the higher rated ones slips to your pick.
    Last edited by travmil; 01-06-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Build through the draft, get bargains in FA. Splurging for free agents is a recipe that never seems to work in the NFL. See: Snyder, Dan.
    You could argue the fact that the Broncos splurged on Peyton, the Saints on Brees, the Cowboys with Deion, and many other examples. I think it is different when you are getting somebody special. Snyder is a goofball.

With Luck, Hilton, Allen, Ballard, Fleener and Castonzo on rookie deals for the next 3 - 4 years and Wayne on a hometown discount deal for the next 2, giving a top 3 WR in the league 15 -20 mil over the next 3 is doable and I would say, responsible! With him, we are a Super Bowl darkhorse immediately. Especially in a dwindling AFC

Quote Originally Posted by *astrisk* View Post
    You could argue the fact that the Broncos splurged on Peyton, the Saints on Brees, the Cowboys with Deion, and many other examples. I think it is different when you are getting somebody special. Snyder is a goofball.

With Luck, Hilton, Allen, Ballard, Fleener and Castonzo on rookie deals for the next 3 - 4 years and Wayne on a hometown discount deal for the next 2, giving a top 3 WR in the league 15 -20 mil over the next 3 is doable and I would say, responsible! With him, we are a Super Bowl darkhorse immediately. Especially in a dwindling AFC
    I just look at the history of big time WRs leaving in free agency or trades and I see a lot of mixed results. I love Larry Fitzgerald, don't get me wrong, but I would just as soon keep our first round pick, draft a young guy we can put on a rookie deal who will fit our scheme and can grow with our young guys. The playoffs this year were icing on the cake. We are trying to build a team that can win Super Bowls in 2-3 years.

Priority #1, as you mentioned, should be upgrading the offensive line. Priority #2 should be plugging the holes on defense. I don't think WR is much of a problem. Wayne is aging but cagey. Hilton showed tremendous promise. Avery is kinda crap. Brazill I think can be good. Look for more value in the 3-4 round range there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

It may take more than 1 first round pick to get him, seeing as the Cards will be paying a chunk of his salary the first year. But that just gives us more free agency money. We are going to get our guys one way or another. Thanks for your comment tho

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

I would sign Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie and resign Jerraud Powers for the nickel, corner #1 Vontae Davis, corner #2 Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie, nickel back Jerraud Powers. I would sign Mike Wallace also, then use draft an offensive linemen in the 1st round, and use the left over money on d-line and o-line

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I would sign Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie and resign Jerraud Powers for the nickel, corner #1 Vontae Davis, corner #2 Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie, nickel back Jerraud Powers. I would sign Mike Wallace also, then use draft an offensive linemen in the 1st round, and use the left over money on d-line and o-line
    I don't think we need Mike Wallace. We are already deep at receiver
    "We want Miami"

The Colts should first look to upgrade the offensive line.

I think signing a top wide receiver free agent (Mike Wallace) is one of the easiest ways to overspend in free agency. The Colts have Reggie Wayne and T.Y. Hilton looked decent this year. My guess is the Colts can find another decent receiver later in the draft. They were able to draft Hilton in the third round last year. The Steelers have also been able to draft receivers who fit Bruce Arian's offense well in Wallace (3rd round) and Antonio Brown (6th round).

I don't think a top notch receiver like Larry Fritzgerald or spend a lot of money on a guy like Mike Wallace is needed for the Colts to have success. There are plenty of other holes (bigger ones) they need to fill.

as long as we either sign Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie or Tracy Porter I will be happy, I really like those two as players

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

do you guys think they should resign Jerraud Powers or no? I say yes

Mood

No, would cost to much to bring him back to be a nickel corner, why not just use that money on a guy who can start as #2 CB and then pay a small amount for a guy to play nickel, possibly just sign back Butler.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    I'm anticipating a strong off season for the Colts. Lots of cap room, nice draft spot to pick up a d lineman and others throughout the draft. They should sign RB Peyton Hillis. He would be a nice backup to Ballard. Hillis is a power back which would be a counter to Ballard's speed. They could also sign DB Tracy Porter, who could be a nice corner with Davis. I think those two, along with resigning Freeney and McAfee in free agency and drafting lineman on both sides along with another DB could help the Colts big time. OL is the biggest need
    I agree that OL is our biggest need, and I love the idea of singing Porter, I think he would be dynamic next to Vontae, McAfee is key, but at the right price and Freeney, I don't think that would be a good idea, his coverage or lack there of really hurts how versatile we can be as a defense. But what do we need a power back for, Ballard runs hard enough, if we want to get any kind of back it is one that can catch out the backfield and give Luck a dump off option as well as block on passing downs, singing Hillis would be a waste. Taking the pick and drafting a d-lineman could be okay, but I think we just go with BPA since we will have so much money to spend on FA's that we should still be able to get quality.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

I actually think that with Fitz contract that getting him for a 1st might actually be do able and I would not be totally against it, although that would wrap up money and we have a lot of holes right now, I guess it is one of those cost benefit type things.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    do you guys think they should resign Jerraud Powers or no? I say yes
    no

Mood

My plan for the offseason would be to sign two high level O-lineman, preferably at guard. Target Tracy Porter, I know some have said DRC but I think Porter plays more aggressive and is better against the run. Look to grab an OLB through free agency possibly Conner Barwin or Paul Kruger.

In the draft I would not mind targeting a safety, and there are few that might be around when we draft Kenny Vaccaro from Texas, he is pretty good all around, coverage, run support, but lacks picks, or we could grab a guy through free agency, but there are not many, and I am thinking a fresh guy that Pagano could mold would be great. If we can not get Vaccaro then I would wait around and take a chance on Ray Ray Armstrong in the 6th, he has a tremendous ceiling, has UMiami roots, and seems like a Pagano type guy.

Other guys I would not mind targeting in the draft:
    3-4 positions

Dion Jordan OLB
    Alec Ogletree ILB
    Sheldon Richardson DE
    Johnathan Cooper RG
    Barrett Jones C/G/T
    Barkevious Mingo OLB
    Chance Warmack RG

Possible players(depending on workouts)
    Ezikel Ansah DE/OLB
    Anthony Barr OLB
    Why so SERIOUS

Right now we really need some size at the WR position. Someone who is 6'3" or so. We are very small at WR.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I sure as hell hope we have a long look at getting Kruger and Sam Shields.

Shields and Davis would be a nice set of corners and we would be set there for years.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Since the free agency comes first, you think Grigson would not use it for the OL?
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

So who's going to be available to replace Arians when he gets a head coaching job? Hate to see the guy go but it's probably likely. Any interest in a retread like Cam Cameron since Pagano is familiar with him?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    So who's going to be available to replace Arians when he gets a head coaching job? Hate to see the guy go but it's probably likely. Any interest in a retread like Cam Cameron since Pagano is familiar with him?
    Clyde Christensen
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Since the free agency comes first, you think Grigson would not use it for the OL?
    Yup, better to just get guys you know can play the OL in Free Agency than worrying if a draft pick will pan out, especially with OL being such a big need.
    Why so SERIOUS

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Right now we really need some size at the WR position. Someone who is 6'3" or so. We are very small at WR.
    Why, Peyton never had that and he could get it done, we still have height at the goalline with the TE's if we need them. I would not mind it but it is no where near a priority in my book.
    Why so SERIOUS