Thread: Which Crimson Tide Offensive Lineman will we draft in the First Round?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Which Crimson Tide Offensive Lineman will we draft in the First Round?

Guard - Chance Warmack (Probably Gone by 25)

Center/Guard - Barrett Jones

Right Tackle - DJ Fluker

Default Re: Which Crimson Tide Offensive Lineman will we draft in the First Round?

Warmack if he's there, otherwise I think they'll be looking for help in the secondary. I believe they'll target some line help with the cash they have and the name Gosder Cherilus will be rumored.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Which Crimson Tide Offensive Lineman will we draft in the First Round?

Not sure we will draft a O-lineman, all depends on free agency I think, but if we do I would choose Barrett Jones, versatile and that would be a reason for us to get rid of Satele, Warmack is good, but I think we can target guards in the FA class. Flucker is a good RT prospect, but if there is a guy available that is a steal you have to take him, well if he plays OLB, S, G, C, T. I think we have a decent group of DE's if they can stay healthy, but Sheldon Richardson if there would not be bad.

But as far as lineman there are also guys from other schools that I think we would consider as well.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Also we have the 24th pick
    Why so SERIOUS

We're projected to get the d-lineman who can bench 600 lbs
    "We want Miami"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

Draft Warmack and give them Jeff Linkenbach for one of their other linemen, well Linkenbach would probably be a downgrade for them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Mood

Just looking over tape, and while I like Jones adjustments and run blocking, it does not seem like he does as good in pass blocking and often gets drove back into the pocket, he also gets off his block too soon at times. He is still very talented, but not sure I am taking him at 24 now. Warmack is a beast though, if he is there I go get him and settle that position for years to come, that is unless we grab two of the good guards in free agency, if he is gone, not sure, have to watch more tape on line prospects, Flucker is a no go for me though.
    Why so SERIOUS

trade for all 3

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

Barrett Jones was playing vs. ND with a Lis Franc injury that will require surgery ASAP, making him miss the combine and all workouts, and even make him iffy for training camp and the start of next season.

In other words, he will drop on draft day and be a very good value pick if you want a good,, smart, physical interior lineman.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Barrett Jones was playing vs. ND with a Lis Franc injury that will require surgery ASAP, making him miss the combine and all workouts, and even make him iffy for training camp and the start of next season.

In other words, he will drop on draft day and be a very good value pick if you want a good,, smart, physical interior lineman.
    He was going to be there around where we picked anyways, now he may drop to day two, I guess we could always trade up but that might be too valuable for us to do. Also he is not too physical, and that is one of the knocks on him is that he does not play in a physical manner, as I saw when watching tap, he is more of a bend don't break kind of guy who knows how to hold a guy off from getting into position, but he really does not get much drive and does not have the aggressive side to his game, other than pushing his QB.

He is however super smart, which is valuable in a NFL center.
    Why so SERIOUS

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know much about Barrett Jones, except for seeing him interviewed several times the last few days. Impressive kid, very smart and great personality.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    He was going to be there around where we picked anyways, now he may drop to day two, I guess we could always trade up but that might be too valuable for us to do. Also he is not too physical, and that is one of the knocks on him is that he does not play in a physical manner, as I saw when watching tap, he is more of a bend don't break kind of guy who knows how to hold a guy off from getting into position, but he really does not get much drive and does not have the aggressive side to his game, other than pushing his QB.

He is however super smart, which is valuable in a NFL center.
    I think your evaluation of Barrett Jones is off. Maybe he wasn't playing physically enough for you on the LOS because of his ankle being severely injured. But he still dominated, and scouting reports say he is an excellent drive blocker. Also, they say he is an excellent technician with above average footwork. The guy started at every position for the Tide, including LT last year where he was first team all SEC and gave up 0 sack, hurries and knockdowns against Mingo and Montgomery for LSU. I still would prefer Warmack if he fell to 24. But I like Barrett Jones.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by *astrisk* View Post
    I think your evaluation of Barrett Jones is off. Maybe he wasn't playing physically enough for you on the LOS because of his ankle being severely injured. But he still dominated, and scouting reports say he is an excellent drive blocker. Also, they say he is an excellent technician with above average footwork. The guy started at every position for the Tide, including LT last year where he was first team all SEC and gave up 0 sack, hurries and knockdowns against Mingo and Montgomery for LSU. I still would prefer Warmack if he fell to 24. But I like Barrett Jones.
    I know what you are saying, I have read reports that have said similar, I have also heard teams don't think he has a physical demeanor that they would like to see from NFL lineman.

As far as watching tape, checkout the tape of the game Bama vs Tenn, this should be before the foot injury, there are times when he gets driven back in the pocket and the QB is forced to escape. I also thing he is good, and has wonderful technique and footwork, I just wonder about the strength and aggressiveness going against some of the guys in the league.

Also Mingo to me is okay with potential to get good, he has a lot to offer, but can be taken away from the play easily, this year was really a down one for him, but with the right coaching and adding on some bulk and power moves I think he could turnout to be an excellent pro.
    Why so SERIOUS

I want to see the line get addressed through FA.

Sam Montgomery

Eddie Lacy and Fluker just entered the draft. Wouldnt' mind Fluker with the first round pick and Lacy with the 3 rounder.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Eddie Lacy and Fluker just entered the draft. Wouldnt' mind Fluker with the first round pick and Lacy with the 3 rounder.
    I don't think Fluker will be a good 1st round pick, he will do good against big strong guys, but I worry about him with some of the quicker guys, and I would not use the first on a RT, especially one that does not seem to be suited against quick NFL caliber DE/OLB's.

Lacy could be interesting though, but too many needs to take a RB in the 3rd, unless FA just goes really well.
    Why so SERIOUS

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Mood

I don't think Fluker will be a good 1st round pick, he will do good against big strong guys, but I worry about him with some of the quicker guys, and I would not use the first on a RT, especially one that does not seem to be suited against quick NFL caliber DE/OLB's.

Lacy could be interesting though, but too many needs to take a RB in the 3rd, unless FA just goes really well.
    Yeah, I'm a HUGE Tide fan, and I can say that Fluker is a early-mid second rounder. He is going to be a very good lineman in the NFL. Probably not ELITE. But he may make a pro bowl.

Lacy is going to be a steal wherever he goes. He played behind Ingram, then Richardson, then he had a turned ankle that he was playing on early in the season, where TJ Yeldon (a Beast) outshined him. But he is a pound em between the tackles RB with deceptive speed and quickness...

I think he gave up 4 sacks in 250 pass attempts. With a guy like him you can put him at guard and develop him into a RT. I personally think we should draft the bpa but I think we need to keep building the OL with draftees that are cheap and versatile. We won't be able to sign adequate depth from the FA and by adequate I mean better than what we did last year.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I think he gave up 4 sacks in 250 pass attempts. With a guy like him you can put him at guard and develop him into a RT. I personally think we should draft the bpa but I think we need to keep building the OL with draftees that are cheap and versatile. We won't be able to sign adequate depth from the FA and by adequate I mean better than what we did last year.
    I agree on the first part, that could be a good way to develop hi, but he is still a 2nd round talent though, but that still is not bad. As far as free agency, we went after that group due to financial constraints, there is a very high amount of quality OLineman out there that we can target, and with a guy like Luck it seems like people would want to join him, with over 40 million to spend this year I believe we will target atleast 1 high level lineman if not more.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

I would rather see us draft a defensive impact player, even if we have to trade up to get them. I think we could get a good free agent offensive lineman or two in free agency. Also looking ahead and seeing what we can get for Freeney tradewise could bring us a player on that o-line as well. I think we need another linebacker to fit the 3-4 system I personally like that nice young man from Notre Dame, but I think we'd have to give something up to move up that high. It would be a wonderful draft if we could move up somehow and draft my linebacker and still retain this years 1st round pick and get the d-lineman from Alabama that is a beast.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Didn't get the part with Freeney. Please explain that to me. Isn't his contract ending this season? How can we get something back from him? Is it the sign and trade thing ala NBA?
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    I would rather see us draft a defensive impact player, even if we have to trade up to get them. I think we could get a good free agent offensive lineman or two in free agency. Also looking ahead and seeing what we can get for Freeney tradewise could bring us a player on that o-line as well. I think we need another linebacker to fit the 3-4 system I personally like that nice young man from Notre Dame, but I think we'd have to give something up to move up that high. It would be a wonderful draft if we could move up somehow and draft my linebacker and still retain this years 1st round pick and get the d-lineman from Alabama that is a beast.
    We have enough MLBs and I personally feel that we can get a guy who slips like Brandon Jenkins of Florida state. Trade back and get him and add some late picks.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    Yeah Freeney is a FA, and if the Colts bring him back which is unlikely then it would not be to trade him, he had his audition this year and either he passed or failed in the eyes of the front office, also Johanvil there is no sign and trade type thing in the NFL.

As far as MLB, we could use one that covers good, but that is not the case with Te'o, and with all the other needs we have I don't think that would be a smart move for the future. If we were to grab a guy like Alec Ogletree who we could move between OLB and ILB then maybe that move would be fine.

Finally I think the only way we would be able to pick up another first would be to trade a future first round draft pick as well as another pick in this draft, if the right guy is there maybe, but with so few draft picks this year it would be hard to justify that I feel.
    Why so SERIOUS