Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sam Young expected to be released

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

I never understood the love CDR gets such a flash in the bottle type player.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Indiana Pacers ‏@Pacers
    The Pacers have waived forward Sam Young. Read more: http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/sam-young-released

The Indiana Pacers announced Sunday they have waived forward Sam Young.
    Young, the fourth-year player out of Pitt, was signed as a free agent by the Pacers in September. He played in 28 games and averaged 3.6 points and 2.9 rebounds per game.
    Additionally, the Pacers announced Sunday they have recalled rookie center Miles Plumlee from the Fort Wayne Mad Ants of the NBA D-League.

Slightly off-topic: Maybe I'm a bit too sensitive or whatever...Young was ok, but I thought the guy always gave his best effort. People were cheering for him and he was a part of the Pacers organization. A sentence like "The Indiana Pacers would like to thank Sam Young for his services and wish him all the best for his future" would be appropriate...just my humble opinion..
    Thank you Jeff.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 31andonly For This Useful Post:

I hope we also release Ben and sign Flynn as our 3rd string PG. At least Flynn can bring the ball past half court without having issues
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

When you see these cuts midseason you begin to realize just how good the NBA is.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    I never understood the love CDR gets such a flash in the bottle type player.
    I think it's very similar to the reasons why so many people here were hoping to land OJ Mayo. He can create his own shot off of the dribble and has the potential to throw up 20- or 30-point games. I don't think anyone would reasonably expect him to come in here and set the world on fire, but having a guy with that scoring potential as your 4th or 5th swingman could be one of those minor moves that wins us a playoff series.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Word is that Bobby Brown is looking to rejoin the NBA. I don't know much about him, to be honest, but word is he's turned into a very good point guard, and is drawing a lot of interest. D.J. White also gets mentioned at the end of the article.

Bobby Brown of Euro Basketball League could become free agent this season - Yahoo! Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Wojnarowski
    Montepaschi Siena (Italy) guard Bobby Brown, the presumable MVP of the Euro Basketball League, could become a free agent and available to sign in the NBA this season, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

After several years bouncing between Europe and the NBA, Brown, 28, has had a breakout professional season with Siena. Nevertheless, the franchise's financial issues may leave the organization open to a buyout of his contract, sources said. Several NBA teams have inquired about the possibility of signing him as a backup point guard.

Brown leads the Euro League with 21 points per game and averages nearly six assists. He delivered one of the Euro League's greatest offensive performances recently with 41 points in a victory over Fenerbache. Brown has been chosen the Euro League's player of the week three times this season.

To save money, Siena cut ties with several top European players, including David Andersen and Bo McAllebb, before the season. Nevertheless, Brown has kept Siena in the playoff race with a 10-3 record and the best season of his professional career.

During the 2008-2010 seasons, Brown played 113 NBA games during stops with Sacramento, Minnesota, the Los Angeles Clippers and New Orleans.

If Brown could be one of the best available pickups among guards for NBA teams this season, D.J. White of the Shanghai Sharks could be the most intriguing front-court player come February.

As the dominant forward in the Chinese Basketball Association, White has averaged 22.6 points and 10.6 rebounds a game. He will be eligible to re-join the NBA in February, once Shangai's season ends. White has played with Charlotte and Oklahoma City in the NBA.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bobby Brown looked decent in limited minutes a few years back as Chris Paul's backup... at this point I don't think he's much more than a training camp invite type of player, but if he's improved significantly he could be a quality backup.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I hope we also release Ben and sign Flynn as our 3rd string PG. At least Flynn can bring the ball past half court without having issues
    Well, Ben averages 1 TO/game, while Flynn averaged 2+.

I just remember Flynn takes a lot of stupid shots, misses at the rim a lot, and turns it over...a lot.

I think his reputation as the #6 pick has run out, and what people see is a guy that can't keep up. I doubt he'd be much of an improvement over Ben, seeing as the limited run he gets is just for him to move the ball. He isn't being asked to create offense or anything, just get the ball to Ian/Gerald/Tyler and let them work.

I, for one, have been pleasantly surprised with B's work.

EDIT: To be fair, regarding Flynn, he was in a super crappy situation in Minnesota. So, I may be being too hard on him.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post

CDR just got cut today too. Hope we give him a 10 day on the 11th.

If he couldn't make it with the Mavs, what makes you think he can with the Pacers?

It might be worth a try on a 10 day contract, but I won't hold my breath he'd make the 2nd 10 day contract.
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 01-07-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    Also, it's too early to be "wrong about him." He's been nowhere near as bad as the board would make it seem, just like Young (worse stats) was nowhere near as decent as the board would make it seem.
    Yeah, he has been bad. Has such little b-ball IQ that all he knows is jack 3's and look for a lob pass. When I saw him put his head down and not even see the ball going to the other end, that said it all.

How many 10 day contract players can a team have on their roster?

I know a player can only be signed 2-10 day contracts. After that, if they are signed again it has to be for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    I agree its too early to flat out say we were wrong, but I think he's definitely been as bad as the board makes it seem. I'm getting Posey flash backs here.
    I'm getting Duane Ferrell flashbacks when I see Gerald Green.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound80 View Post
    Yeah, he has been bad. Has such little b-ball IQ that all he knows is jack 3's and look for a lob pass. When I saw him put his head down and not even see the ball going to the other end, that said it all.

Really? I guess you must not see when he comes off screens for jumpers. I will admit 3's and dunks are his primary shots, but he can come off screens and hit a jumper. It's just unfortunate he doesn't use them that often. Maybe the wing coach, Shaw, might want to work with Green on making that a bigger part of his game.

Does only constantly bullying oneself to the rim going to his right make Hansbrough have a low BB IQ? Or Hibbert constantly using a hook shot, some times not in a good position, make him have a low BB IQ. A player constantly playing a certain way doesn't necessarily make them have a low BB IQ. They are comfortable playing that way. It doesn't make them right, but it doesn't shout low BB IQ either.

You might want to reconsider your definition of what a low BB IQ is.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sam kaiserblade View Post

Now, there is a name from the past!

You might want to explain who he is, so those too young to remember him will know what what you are trying to say.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Thank you, Just in Tyme. I think the "low BB IQ" bull**** is way over worked. BB IQ, in my opinion comes from being in situations time and again and gaining knowledge from them. Players who are head and shoulders more talented than the people they play with learn these things slower. When you are bigger, faster, stronger and quicker than your opponents, you have very little need to learn. When you begin to struggle with people who are on or above your level of skill, then you have to learn or drop out. I see Lance as a prime example of this coaching staff and team of being able to help this type of player. Green has never been put in this position before, give him a little time, please. He may well be a gem in the rough also. When his knowledge of the game catches up with his physical talent, then we'll see what we have.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sam kaiserblade View Post
    Not sure I see that - Ferrell was strong enough that given McKey's lack of interest in contributing to an offense there was much discussion - particularly when Derrick was coming back from injury and Duane was playing pretty well - of Ferrell taking over that spot.

Not sure how that matches up with Green, really.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    If he couldn't make it with the Mavs, what makes you think he can with the Pacers?

It might be worth a try on a 10 day contract, but I won't hold my breath he'd make the 2nd 10 day contract.
    The cuts have more to do with finances than it does talent. I am sure if CDR and Young were lights out great they would not be released. But that does not mean they were meaningless. It is not all or nothing with rotational players, there are more variables than just skills.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Not sure I see that - Ferrell was strong enough that given McKey's lack of interest in contributing to an offense there was much discussion - particularly when Derrick was coming back from injury and Duane was playing pretty well - of Ferrell taking over that spot.

Not sure how that matches up with Green, really.
    Were you in ATL during Ferrell's heyday as Dominique's backup? You probably watched him more than any of the rest of us.

Ferrell got a multi-year contract out of the Pacers because he... not Dominique... could drive the Rifleman nuts. Chuck had progressed to the point that if neither Dominique nor Chuck messed around with that overrated defense nonsense, Chuck could neutralize Dominique. And then Ferrell would come in, play some defense, and the Hawks were better overall. Drats.

So we signed him a couple of years after Chuck was gone to be Mitchell's eventual replacement at backup SF, but for the first year we had both Ferrell and Mitchell (could any two backup SF's be more redundant with each other? Really?) and Ferrell ended up third on the depth chart (assuming Derrick was healthy... not a good assumption in those days.) That's not good when Sam Mitchell beats you out as the backup SF. And then we watched Duane every night and realized that Chuck Person must've brought out the best in him because we only saw him play well in a few games (his first season, he scored 4 points or fewer in 60% of his games and didn't prove he could guard anyone other than Rifleman.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Were you in ATL during Ferrell's heyday as Dominique's backup? You probably watched him more than any of the rest of us.

Ferrell got a multi-year contract out of the Pacers because he... not Dominique... could drive the Rifleman nuts. Chuck had progressed to the point that if neither Dominique nor Chuck messed around with that overrated defense nonsense, Chuck could neutralize Dominique. And then Ferrell would come in, play some defense, and the Hawks were better overall. Drats.

So we signed him a couple of years after Chuck was gone to be Mitchell's eventual replacement at backup SF, but for the first year we had both Ferrell and Mitchell (could any two backup SF's be more redundant with each other? Really?) and Ferrell ended up third on the depth chart (assuming Derrick was healthy... not a good assumption in those days.) That's not good when Sam Mitchell beats you out as the backup SF. And then we watched Duane every night and realized that Chuck Person must've brought out the best in him because we only saw him play well in a few games (his first season, he scored 4 points or fewer in 60% of his games and didn't prove he could guard anyone other than Rifleman.)
    Didn't watch him with Atlanta much but I do remember watching him when he came onto the Pacers. Bearing in mind that Atlanta was Basketball Hell in terms of getting any coverage and that I didn't watch every Pacer game back then (League Pass? You want HOW much for League Pass?) I had formed the opinion that offensively he proved himself out over McKey (mostly because he was willing to actually BE an offensive 3rd option) and didn't see a drop in defense any more than anyone would expect when subbing for McKey.

I remember feeling proved wrong as that season came to a close and not feeling too bad when Ferrell was made part of the trade for Mullin.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Yea, as a person who watched Ferrell a lot both in Atlanta & Indiana I don't get this comparison at all. Now if you said you were getting Kenny Williams flashbacks I could maybe see it but Ferrell was the epitome of fundamental basketball.

BTW it would be interesting to see who could jump higher between Green & Williams. I bet Green would win but not by that much.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Word is that Bobby Brown is looking to rejoin the NBA. I don't know much about him, to be honest, but word is he's turned into a very good point guard, and is drawing a lot of interest. D.J. White also gets mentioned at the end of the article.

Bobby Brown of Euro Basketball League could become free agent this season - Yahoo! Sports
    ughh not much of a Brown fan more of a Keith Langford guy myself(obviously would take Bo over him but Bo wont come over) Langford is a NBA player. Im not so sure Brown is a sure fire NBA player JMO.

Langford is a great example of a guy going overseas and turning himself into a NBA player.

Langford is the type of guy we should target this summer with how close we are too the LT he would be the best bang for the buck IMO would be a good play making, scoring SG guard for us.