Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sam Young expected to be released

Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hate to burst your bubble, but Green does not disrupt the flow, in fact most of the shots he takes are good looks.
    Really?

Gerald Green is talented....

the only thing he is really missing IS the basketball IQ

hope he puts it together.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about. I didn't edit that post at all....
    My bad man. I am making things up just to try to get you banned (as if you won't get the job done on your own). It was a futile attempt on my part. Please accept my humble apology.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Too bad Green is not the one that got cut
    I don't think Green, Young, or Johnson will help this team at all this year. The only reason I wouldn't want to see Green cut is that we could save more cap space by buying him out at the end of the year after taking this years salary out of what he's owed. I don't want to see anything done to give us cap space unless Walsh is gone though.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    My bad man. I am making things up just to try to get you banned (as if you won't get the job done on your own). It was a futile attempt on my part. Please accept my humble apology.
    I appreciate the effort......

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I suspect it's cuz Young is an unguaranteed contract and the Pacers want to cut him for Salary and Roster flexibility ( just in case there is room needed for a trade ), but I think it's a mistake. No matter what people here on PD think of him.....he's the type of Player that you want on the Team for a Deep Playoff run. You want Players like Young on the roster...even if he's just a cheerleader.....you want Players with veteran experience that fills a specific role ( defensive stopper ) on the Team.
    I agree with this 100%. I'll also add that I believe a lot of people look at Young for what he is not instead of for what he is. I think the Pacers will regret this.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    You just had to go there didn't ya?

If this quoted post isn't obvious to the admin of blatant trolling, then I don't know what is...
    It's that kind of buffoonery that should get people banned. I've had that troll on my ignore list for awhile now (Damn quoting lol)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Young was really hurt. What I heard from someone that would know last night was that his ankle was bad and that he was many weeks away from playing again. He was on crutches last night and had a boot on the ankle. With Jan 10 around the corner and the team in bad need of wing or PG help it made roster sense.

Sam was the 3rd best defender on the team (Paul, Roy) and was keeping his FGAs down after an inconsistent start on offense. IMO he had one of the highest awareness levels on the team and was the perfect glue/bench guy that kinda did whatever was needed while also ramping up the defense in general.

But on a 1 year deal and unable to play for a few more weeks at the very least and probably longer he became expendable. I'd love to see the Pacers pick him back up at a later date.

Also I feel really bad for him basically being "fired" due to his non-guaranteed contract. Tough to lose a paycheck due to injury. I wonder if he has insurance against this type of situation.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

CDR just got cut today too. Hope we give him a 10 day on the 11th.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

I don't want to derail this thread at all, but for those who are interested, CDR got waived by the Mavs per Mark Spear's twitter...

something up with this guy or what?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    CDR just got cut today too. Hope we give him a 10 day on the 11th.
    Y U GOTTA BE SO FAST LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    Really?

Gerald Green is talented....

the only thing he is really missing IS the basketball IQ

hope he puts it together.
    I think Green takes plenty of good, open shots. He's just not hitting them. I noticed the guys on the bench pulling for him to get on track last night when he had that series of misses. It wasn't like they were disgusted with the types of shots he was taking based on their reaction to his attempts.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want the Pacers to sign a veteran with extensive playoffs experience like Michael Redd, TMac, or at worst Michael Finley.

They have enough young players. They need guys that know how to play.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    I don't want to derail this thread at all, but for those who are interested, CDR got waived by the Mavs per Mark Spear's twitter...

something up with this guy or what?
    well ya he got wavied for the same reason Young did his contract becomes guaranteed on the 10th... You are going to see a lot of 12-15 men getting cut between now and the 10th just part of the business. Just a numbers game..

CDR might help due to his imbalance toward offensive skills since that's what the team needs right now. His defense is a joke compared to what Young was doing, but someone has to drop some jumpers off the bench.

To me the Young cut is clearly a roster spot move to grab someone else that is out there or they think will be out there.

BTW, if you don't see my Twitter I mentioned last night that Danny responded to a security guard's question (unknown) with "4 weeks". The question could have been anything, but come on, we all know what was probably asked (this was at halftime). And I heard better confirmation than that elsewhere (including that his cardio is up and going well). So as some have speculated this move is probably more of a "hold down the fort" just till about Feb 5-10 range when Danny returns.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Young was really hurt. What I heard from someone that would know last night was that his ankle was bad and that he was many weeks away from playing again. He was on crutches last night and had a boot on the ankle. With Jan 10 around the corner and the team in bad need of wing or PG help it made roster sense.

Sam was the 3rd best defender on the team (Paul, Roy) and was keeping his FGAs down after an inconsistent start on offense. IMO he had one of the highest awareness levels on the team and was the perfect glue/bench guy that kinda did whatever was needed while also ramping up the defense in general.

But on a 1 year deal and unable to play for a few more weeks at the very least and probably longer he became expendable. I'd love to see the Pacers pick him back up at a later date.

Also I feel really bad for him basically being "fired" due to his non-guaranteed contract. Tough to lose a paycheck due to injury. I wonder if he has insurance against this type of situation.
    Sam was on a 1 year/$885,120 deal. Anyone know exactly how this works? Like, there are 24ish weeks in the season, so does he get 8/9 weeks worth of pay? If so, he would have made approximately $350k, so he'll be fine.

The players are protected from this situation. While Young was cut and the Pacers now have the roster spot, Young will continue to get paid by the Pacers until he is deemed healthy enough to play again. That amount will count against the Pacers salary cap and luxury tax. So, for example, if the injury would have kept him out until the end of the month, he will continue to get paid until the end of the month.

An example of this happened to Mike Wilks and the Orlando Magic the season they made the Finals. Wilks went to camp with the Magic on a non-guaranteed contract, with very little chance to make the team. However, Wilks was injured during training camp and was ruled out for the season. That injury guaranteed his salary for the season. The Magic actually kept him on the roster, and he was eventually traded in the Rafer Alston trade. Here's a link.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com...njury-costs-th
    Last edited by shags; 01-06-2013 at 09:51 PM.

23. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    This thread isn't about "McBrick."
    Worst nickname ever anyway considering Josh's 3P% (for a PF) and overall FG% always being above 50%.

My money is that Blu is trying to earn his way into a "professional" trolling group, or is just doing his own "performance art" version for whatever reason. You can't take any of his discussion seriously and most of it seems intended to intentionally ruin the primary topic of discussion.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    The players are protected from this situation. While Young was cut and the Pacers now have the roster spot, Young will continue to get paid by the Pacers until he is deemed healthy enough to play again. That amount will count against the Pacers salary cap and luxury tax. So, for example, if the injury would have kept him out until the end of the month, he will continue to get paid until the end of the month.

An example of this happened to Mike Wilks and the Orlando Magic the season they made the Finals. Wilks went to camp with the Magic on a non-guaranteed contract, with very little chance to make the team. However, Wilks was injured during training camp and was ruled out for the season. That injury guaranteed his salary for the season. The Magic actually kept him on the roster, and he was eventually traded in the Rafer Alston trade. Here's a link.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com...njury-costs-th
    That's nice to hear. I know guys make a lot of money, but relative to his work environment he didn't and you'd hate to see anyone lose a paycheck strictly due to injury.

So bottom line is ROSTER SPOT, and that would be the only benefit the Pacers would have beyond saving the small amount of his guaranteed contract once he is healthy again. If they think he's injured for 5 more weeks (let's say) then there is almost no real financial benefit to this move that wouldn't be offset by the chance of him helping the team. But as a roster spot NOW this move makes a ton of sense.

Therefore it seems obvious that they have a plan in mind, either something they already want or something they want to be ready for just in case. They just have to be looking at bringing someone in.

Good move. He didn't fit well here
    Smothered Chicken!

I think Green takes plenty of good, open shots. He's just not hitting them. I noticed the guys on the bench pulling for him to get on track last night when he had that series of misses. It wasn't like they were disgusted with the types of shots he was taking based on their reaction to his attempts.
    And this is why I think we just need to be patient with Green. He is a streaky shooter. I think a fan of his here mentioned the same thing. He makes some mental lapses, sure. Even in the early part of the season, he makes annoying decisions with the ball many times. But the "too low BBall IQ" is exaggerated. In the last few games he's really taking good attemps that just don't get in. I think he's getting comfortable now with the offense. Just needs to work on his consistency in shooting.

As for Young, it's sad to know that he's released. He has been a dependable body for defense, and while his offense drives people nuts sometimes, he really has been a great bench player and even Vogel gives him a ton of confidence with his playing time and even playing at crunch time on the defensive end. But it's understandable as he'll be unable to play, and with a thin lineup on the wing without DG, we need to bring in somebody who can contribute right away. But if there's a chance that he'll recover sooner, I think he'll be back for the Pacers once again.

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    It's amazing. We cut a player thats better than one we give a 3 yr 10 million dollar deal.
    Yeah, that's the rub with me. I get why we did this, but it sucks we do it while leaving an inferior wing player on the roster... for 2 more years.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    I agree its too early to flat out say we were wrong, but I think he's definitely been as bad as the board makes it seem. I'm getting Posey flash backs here.
    Difference is, Posey was a legit player once and we got him at the tail end of his career. And I don't think Greene has been anywhere near as good as Posey. (Ouch.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So far Samardo Samuels, Kris Joeseph, CDR, Lazar Hayward, Sam Young, and Jarvis Varnado have been waived.

Several more players will probably be cut before the January 10th deadline for guaranteed contracts.

Lol I find it funny that people would rather cut Green than Young.....While it is obviously true that Gerald Green has gotten off to a bad start this season, he still can be a good bench player. He proved this last season with NJ where he played in 31 games averaged 13 points a game on 48 percent FG shooting and 39 percent 3pt shooting. Players that play Young's role are a dime a dozen in the NBA and can be found very easily a guy that is capable of producing like Green did last season off the bench are not. It is quite unfortunate that his shooting percentages are so down this season compared to last but it isn't time to hit the panic button on him yet. I mean he did sign a 3 year deal so be a little more patient with him, if for the only reason that we as Pacers fans may not have much of a choice. He also was amazing in the Developmental League last season before getting called up to NJ he averaged 19 a game on 48 percent FG shooting and 46 percent 3pt shooting. He seems to be one of those guys that's success is very dependent on his confidence level and right now it seems to be very low but I am still hopeful he can put together a good stretch and get his confidence to the point where he can be a meaningful role player for Indy by the end of the season.

I sure would like to pick up CDR.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!