Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 121

Thread: Sam Young expected to be released

  1. #1
    Member Goyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    749

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Sam Young expected to be released

    @MikeWellsNBA: The Pacers are expected to release swingman Sam Young today.

    Guess its OJ time.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Greenfield, IN
    Posts
    3,221
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Just saw that. Break out the OJ gear.


    Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Attending the University of Louisville in August!
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  4. #3
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    5,001

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    That's too bad. I thought he helped our defense a lot.

  5. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,083

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Bummer.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Too bad Green is not the one that got cut

  9. #6
    "I don't mess with West" ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    22
    Posts
    3,484

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Dang it, I liked SY.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    28
    Posts
    14,895

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too bad Green is not the one that got cut
    Dude, just wait till get finds his comfort zone. Sixth man of the year imo.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    naptown
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,657
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    January 10 is the guarantee date. I bet Ben is released too. I wonder if we resign Sam after January 10 if not I we will be making a trade soon or maybe giving out 10 days wish we would of not waited and got CDR.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    22,924

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    I suspect it's cuz Young is an unguaranteed contract and the Pacers want to cut him for Salary and Roster flexibility ( just in case there is room needed for a trade ), but I think it's a mistake. No matter what people here on PD think of him.....he's the type of Player that you want on the Team for a Deep Playoff run. You want Players like Young on the roster...even if he's just a cheerleader.....you want Players with veteran experience that fills a specific role ( defensive stopper ) on the Team.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-06-2013 at 03:08 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    22,924

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    January 10 is the guarantee date. I bet Ben is released too. I wonder if we resign Sam after January 10 if not I we will be making a trade soon or maybe giving out 10 days wish we would of not waited and got CDR.
    I hope this is the case....for both Ben and Young. For Ben....unless Vogel all of a sudden realizes that we have no 3rd PG and that Lance could be that guy.....what happens when we need a 3rd PG?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  18. #11
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Wells expects us to sign someone to some 10 day contracts to fill the gap that Young's ankle injury would have left, and then after that Granger should be back.

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  20. #12
    Member PaceBalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Druidia
    Posts
    5,338

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    This seems weird, he was playing heavy minutes with the team, but has missed the last 4 games or so with injury/sickness then is cut?

    I thought he played great defense for the team and hit a few shots on offense. I like him alot more the Green. Plus his talent to pay ratio was off the charts!

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  22. #13
    Member Goyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    749

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dude, just wait till get finds his comfort zone. Sixth man of the year imo.
    Y'all love beating dead horses. Some of us were wrong about him, move on. Even those of you that didn't expect much from him surely didn't anticipate he'd spend the entire season doing nothing but jacking up threes.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:


  24. #14
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,593

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Not sure this is the right move. Guess we'll have to see :/

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:


  26. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    naptown
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,657
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Y'all love beating dead horses. Some of us were wrong about him, move on. Even those of you that didn't expect much from him surely didn't anticipate he'd spend the entire season doing nothing but jacking up threes.
    I agree I didn't like him at all as a player and didnt want to sign him. However I didnt mind the signing due to the terms, but he has been much worse than I expected.

  27. #16

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Y'all love beating dead horses. Some of us were wrong about him, move on. Even those of you that didn't expect much from him surely didn't anticipate he'd spend the entire season doing nothing but jacking up threes.

    Also, it's too early to be "wrong about him." He's been nowhere near as bad as the board would make it seem, just like Young (worse stats) was nowhere near as decent as the board would make it seem.

  28. #17
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    5,001

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wells expects us to sign someone to some 10 day contracts to fill the gap that Young's ankle injury would have left, and then after that Granger should be back.
    Dominic McGuire is one tough MFer. He's considerably more physical than Sam Young.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:


  30. #18
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Posts
    2,498

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    If anybody should get cut I think it should be Ben. Young is a guy we should keep especially with his cheap contract. I guess it kind a makes sense if he can't play and we'll just sign some guy to a ten day until Danny gets back or whatever.

  31. #19
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Posts
    2,498

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dominic McGuire is one tough MFer. He's considerably more physical than Sam Young.
    Wouldn't mind having him.

  32. #20
    Member Goyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    749

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, it's too early to be "wrong about him." He's been nowhere near as bad as the board would make it seem, just like Young (worse stats) was nowhere near as decent as the board would make it seem.
    I agree its too early to flat out say we were wrong, but I think he's definitely been as bad as the board makes it seem. I'm getting Posey flash backs here.

  33. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,378
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anybody should get cut I think it should be Ben. Young is a guy we should keep especially with his cheap contract. I guess it kind a makes sense if he can't play and we'll just sign some guy to a ten day until Danny gets back or whatever.
    It would be impossible to cut Ben without any other moves due to the lack of depth at the PG position.

    As far as Sam goes I wish him well. He played well and hard here in Indy.

  34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:


  35. #22

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Dont think its for roster flex cause wells said we are looking at McGuire
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

    @LetsTalkPacers

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:


  37. #23
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    28
    Posts
    14,895

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Y'all love beating dead horses. Some of us were wrong about him, move on. Even those of you that didn't expect much from him surely didn't anticipate he'd spend the entire season doing nothing but jacking up threes.
    It was a joke. Some of y'all just love to get all butthurt about everything.

  38. #24

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree its too early to flat out say we were wrong, but I think he's definitely been as bad as the board makes it seem. I'm getting Posey flash backs here.
    He's been that bad in terms of his field goal percentage, but all of that gets mixed and amplified with drivel about "basketball IQ," which really translates into "this guy doesn't look smart to me so I'm going to go on that." I see him shoot bricks like the rest, but rarely is it a bad miss. The shots just aren't falling. Might not be a wide-open, spot up three, but that's not and never has been his game. So when the shots fall, he's suddenly playing better (see Augustin, DJ), but when they're missing everything about him is bad, bad, bad.

    Honestly, what the Pacers are doing w/ Green is good: let him shoot his way out of his slump, as long as it doesn't cost us wins (and so far he's cost us maybe one win, that defensive gaffe a long time ago...and Hibbert was just as responsible). He's not going to shoot under 40% for the season, just like DJ Augustin wasn't going to shoot 26% for the season. It's worth keeping guys with a statistical track record. Those are the ones you avoid making the kneejerk reaction (executive wise; ie, releasing them) with, because the reward is worth the risk.

    A guy like Ben Hansbrough though, ...I have to believe there are a dozen or so free agents out there that would be better.


    Edit: I'll add about Green, obviously dunks get him fired up. We've got two guys capable of throwing a decent alley: Augustin and Lance Stephenson. George Hill absolutely refuses to do so, even on a 3-on-1 break (happens about once every other game). Paul George doesn't have the touch yet.
    Last edited by 3rdStrike; 01-06-2013 at 03:50 PM.

  39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:


  40. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    naptown
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,657
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sam Young expected to be released

    Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers84 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dont think its for roster flex cause wells said we are looking at McGuire
    yes it is roster flexability after January 10th players can be signed to a 10 day. We will likely keep signing guys like Young or McGuire to a few 10 days until DG comes back IMO. It gives us the flexiablity to cut the said player whenever we want without paying them so if a trade develops we have that ability.

    It made no sense to keep Young and Ben guarnteed (and by not cutting them by the 10th their contracts would have to be paid if we cut them) for that matter if we need their roster spot in the future

  41. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Armstrong to be released
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 11:01 AM
  2. Brewer Released
    By FiestyFosterFanatic in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 11:36 PM
  3. Ty Law released from the Patriots
    By birdman in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 11:51 PM
  4. Laettner to be released?
    By Slick Pinkham in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 10:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •