Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pacers/Bucks Postgame Thread 1/5/13

Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Bucks Postgame Thread 1/5/13

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes he jumps and gets up around the rim, but ask the man to pass the ball or run a play and you are out of luck.
    Green really shouldn't be asked to pass the ball or run a play. That's not a part of his strengths. You have to use a player on his strengths.

Lance is a more all-around player. And that's why I think that he can improve and become a quite good starter in this league
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My question is this. When Danny comes back to the starting lineup, how is Lance going to be freed? He won't get more minutes. He will be on the court with George or Danny. So to be freed are we saying that he gets more plays called for him? What type of plays? Does he get more attempts than he is getting now? How?

I really don't see "freeing" Lance makes us that much better than we already are. I like Lance. I like him defensively more than any wing not named Paul in fact. The dude gets in heavy rotation and it still isn't enough. We have to "free" him more? Its like his strengths are immortalized while his weaknesses are more overlooked than clothes at Mardi Gras. And I again think he is a good player this year. But the man crush is crazy hyped at this point. McKeyFan it seems like that is all you want to talk about. Why not some Vogel love? PG? Hill?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    The dude gets in heavy rotation and it still isn't enough. We have to "free" him more?
    Lance is currently used as the 5th starter. And that's the correct role for him at the moment, imo.

When people refer to "freeing" him they probably want to see him as a 6th man. Coming off the bench and handling the ball, creating things and taking attempts. They want to see how he performs as a go-to option.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Hmm, I never really thought this through. I can certainly agree with this line of thinking.

But he's expiring this season. If we bring him in, we'll probably have to pay him if we want to keep him.

I thought he was signed next year too, but when looking at Shamsports next season is a QO. That makes my scenario chaff in the wind.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    My question is this. When Danny comes back to the starting lineup, how is Lance going to be freed? He won't get more minutes. He will be on the court with George or Danny. So to be freed are we saying that he gets more plays called for him? What type of plays? Does he get more attempts than he is getting now? How?

I really don't see "freeing" Lance makes us that much better than we already are. I like Lance. I like him defensively more than any wing not named Paul in fact. The dude gets in heavy rotation and it still isn't enough. We have to "free" him more? Its like his strengths are immortalized while his weaknesses are more overlooked than clothes at Mardi Gras. And I again think he is a good player this year. But the man crush is crazy hyped at this point. McKeyFan it seems like that is all you want to talk about. Why not some Vogel love? PG? Hill?
    Nuntius explained it. Freeing Lance means let him run the offense. No, "Heavy rotation minutes" is not enough because much of the time he is standing in the corner.

Realistically, the way to get him some minutes running the offense is to put him in the second unit.

Offensively, I see Paul's ceiling as being as good as Danny Granger. He is a far better defender, so PG could be a significantly better all-around player than Danny. But Paul is not the answer to our years long logjam at the offensive end--a super creator who can take us a long way in the postseason. Lance has the potential to be that person, and I want him freed to take advantage of the possibility.

I know I'm a voice crying in the wilderness. Me and Larry. It can be lonely sometimes.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I think PG is capable of being a shot creator for others. I think he has shown glimpses of that in recent weeks. When he gets to the elbow he will pass to the teammate whose defender is helping. What he has yet to do is create for others when getting in the paint. Lance does that.

So I have no problem letting the offense funnel through Lance on the bench. I can see him setting up Granger and PG when they are in there with the second unit. It will be interesting to see how he responds to the opponents game planning to stop him. Right now no team is coming in saying, "how are we going to slow Lance Stephenson down?" When Tyler and Barbosa was the main emphasis on our bench offense you saw teams game plan against them and stop them. They don't have to do that now with our bench. Their game plan is let Green brick shots and pressure the point to the elbow. Keep the middle clear and force everything baseline. Even entry passes to Ian and Tyler. I can see Lance breaking that.

So if we are saying that "freeing Lance" is giving the offensive burden of the bench to him...then I am okay with that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't hold my breath on Vogel "freeing Lance" any further than he already has.
    Last edited by count55; 01-08-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath on Vogel "freeing Lance" any further than he already has.
    Well, you supported JOB for several years while many of us called for his head. You've got your horse and I've got mine. Let's see how they do.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Lance is currently used as the 5th starter. And that's the correct role for him at the moment, imo.

When people refer to "freeing" him they probably want to see him as a 6th man. Coming off the bench and handling the ball, creating things and taking attempts. They want to see how he performs as a go-to option.
    Vogel has shown that he likes for his 6th man (Hill, then Barbosa/DC last season, Green now) to come in and be offensive sparks while the starters rest. Given his flair, shot creating, and improved J, I think most feel that Lance would have a chance to thrive within this type role.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post: