Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Orlando Johnson

Default Re: Orlando Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He has a nice strong move to the basket. I like what I see . . . except it seems like he hasn't made a single outside shot.

This is pretty much what I saw. He's still on the team, so he has to have some skills. So let's see him play. He looks small on the court, so he's going to need that ability to shoot thru contact. I got nothing but love for him now.

Banned

Anything is better than Green at this point, sure let him play.

I have no expectations for Johnson or any real improvement from within until Granger returns, I simply think we have nothing to lose if we give him Greens minutes. With Green I'm to the point of wanting the team to buy him out at the end of the season if we could save anything to free up toward our cap space this summer. Maybe he'll turn it around during the second half of the season and prove me wrong, but I think it's time to admit a mistake was made with Green and DJ and move on from both this summer.

Once we get Granger back, the concerns about Orlando, Green and Sam Young will subside because they will play less minutes. I'd probably play Sam Young for his defense and give Orlando more chances. It's a shame Green isn't younger. He could use time to learn the fundamentals.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I have no expectations for Johnson or any real improvement from within until Granger returns, I simply think we have nothing to lose if we give him Greens minutes. With Green I'm to the point of wanting the team to buy him out at the end of the season if we could save anything to free up toward our cap space this summer. Maybe he'll turn it around during the second half of the season and prove me wrong, but I think it's time to admit a mistake was made with Green and DJ and move on from both this summer.
    buying Gerald Green out at the end of the season will not have any effect on cap space. His contract amount stays on the cap.

Gerald can be an effective rotation guy. The more practice he has with the Pacer offense will improve his play. The guy has NBA skills, it is just a case of Frank Vogel learning how to best use them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He took 8 shots in 11 minutes and still had better shot selection than Gerald Green.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    He took 8 shots in 11 minutes and still had better shot selection than Gerald Green.
    Yes - he took very reasonable shots and unless it was off an offensive rebound, were not forced.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

like what im seeing from OJ. the vinny "microvave" johnson comparisons/potential are spot on.

what do you guys think of OJ's defensive capabilities so far?

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    buying Gerald Green out at the end of the season will not have any effect on cap space. His contract amount stays on the cap.

Gerald can be an effective rotation guy. The more practice he has with the Pacer offense will improve his play. The guy has NBA skills, it is just a case of Frank Vogel learning how to best use them.
    Agreed. Once Gerald does something nice it's like everybody that usually hates on him forgets about it for a little bit. He hasn't been as bad as some people have made him out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    what do you guys think of OJ's defensive capabilities so far?
    To early to really say, but it has been adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    Agreed. Once Gerald does something nice it's like everybody that usually hates on him forgets about it for a little bit. He hasn't been as bad as some people have made him out to be.
    Yeah, Green hasn't been abysmal, just disappointing. He is a fine 9th player, but that is about all. Far short of 6th man type we were hoping for.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    To early to really say, but it has been adequate.

Yeah, Green hasn't been abysmal, just disappointing. He is a fine 9th player, but that is about all. Far short of 6th man type we were hoping for.
    Luckily, we were counting on Lance to be 9th-man material, and he's turned into a solid starter and will make a great sixth man.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Teams usually save a little over what is owed in a buyout and under the new cba what he is owed can be spread out over a longer period of time. I think we could get his cap hit next year to be under a mil and free up perhaps another 2 mil in cap space. I'm sure we could find a backup wing in the offseason that would be more effective then Green.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Talking about buying out Gerald Green? I mean would that extra cap space be that impactful?

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Talking about buying out Gerald Green? I mean would that extra cap space be that impactful?
    It depends on who is in the front office this summer. With West on as a cap hold we'll still have 58 mil on the books so we'd have to add a player using the MLE. If we saved 2 mil from Green it might give us a chance at amnesty players that we wouldn't have if we were over the cap or it might give us a chance to use the full MLE.
    If Walsh is still calling the shots I wouldn't want to do it though, there's too much of a chance that we'd just end up with another mediocre player on a long contract.

Mood

Please see:

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Please see:
    You might also see the response after that.
    When a team buys out a contract they usually save some money and his contract can be stretched to count against the cap over a 5 year period. Thus if he agreed to a buyout of 6 mil for the 2 remaining years that could be stretched to only count against the cap for about 1.2 mil next year instead of the 3.5 mil he's currently owed.
    Buying out Green is something the team should keep in mind if they need the cap space next summer. I don't see him helping the team so his contract is just dead weight.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

We should trade him for another center. We'll release Augustin at the end of the season and hopefully draft Trey Burke
    "We want Miami"

Loved OJ's "if you guys aren't gonna shoot it then I will" attitude in the Bucks game. Far too often the Pacers pass the ball around the perimeter and run some lazy pick and rolls that don't stress the defense at all. OJ was bricking but at least the defense had to key in on him a little.

Sorry, guys, but this conversation is silly. We're not going to buy out Green after two months of seeing him play.

They'll play him all year, work with him in the offseason, and then see how he's doing. The earliest the FO would even think about cutting him would be next season, but even that I find unlikely.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Luckily, we were counting on Lance to be 9th-man material, and he's turned into a solid starter and will make a great sixth man.
    That's true. He's been a pleasant surprise. I saw the talent since he was drafted, but I never really believed he would pull his act together and reach this point in his NBA career. Good for him, and by extension good for us.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

The key point about Lance is that Danny's return immediately will improve the bench by adding Lance to it. Suddenly, our bench will have that scoring punch it needed. Moreover, if last year's substitution patterns hold, Paul should get some burn with the second unit subbing in for Danny at the end of the 1st (or potentially the other way around). This means that there will be few moments when we have lineups without either Danny or Paul out there. Add Lance to a either of those guys at the end of the 1st/beginning of the first and we have a competent bench all of a sudden.

i dont think anyone actually expects the FO to cut green, just that many like myself preferred young to green.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

also i still think its pretty important fro danny to come off the bench. at least to start off with. no need to mess up chemistry that vogel is so obsessed with. plus we really need a scorer off the bench and danny would be perfect.

if manu, harden, amare, mayo, etc are good enough to be a all star level 6th man. than so is danny.

plus people who think lance is going to be a volume scorer off the bench are going to be disappointed IMO. i really like lance and his game, but much like sefolosha, tony allen, or danny green. i think he's much more effective with the starters.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    The key point about Lance is that Danny's return immediately will improve the bench by adding Lance to it. Suddenly, our bench will have that scoring punch it needed. Moreover, if last year's substitution patterns hold, Paul should get some burn with the second unit subbing in for Danny at the end of the 1st (or potentially the other way around). This means that there will be few moments when we have lineups without either Danny or Paul out there. Add Lance to a either of those guys at the end of the 1st/beginning of the first and we have a competent bench all of a sudden.
    The best thing about moving Lance to the bench: He'll get an opportunity to really go wild/show what he can do.

I remember that Bulls game at the end of the regular season, when Lance was given a green light. He produced then, and I believe he can produce now (as the focal point of the second team offense, to be clear).

Honestly, I'd like to see him handling the ball more with the second team of DJ/Lance/Green/Tyler/Ian. The Lance/Ian P&R should be lethal, especially if Lance keeps hitting jumpers.