Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, here goes, anyone that has taken issue with me, read up

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default OK, here goes, anyone that has taken issue with me, read up

I'm not naive. I don't expect everyone to like me, and I think i'd feel a bit out of palce if that was the case.

I came to IS three seasons (hence my monsterous post count) ago, back when there were no Piston fans there. Why would I, one of the biggest Pistons fans on earth, join a Pacers board? Because at the time, I felt that I needed a different perpective. As a journalist, that's always the first thing you look for. I also thought that the ABA perspective of the old-timers was a nice bonus. Not to mention when the Pistons were in the lottery every year, I always rooted for the Pacers, because, well, at least they weren't the knicks (sorry Rim). Over time I think I've come to respect a lot of you guys, which is why I decided to stay on board.

Due to the lack of accountability by moderators, many of us left the board in 2003 and started what we know today as PD, or PacersDigest. The reason for the founding of the board, was that it would be a fan-friendly place, where the rules would be the same, and everyone would be held accountable, even the mods. For the last two seasons, I think the original cast of PD has more than proven that leaving IS was the right thing, especially seeing what IS has degenerated to. We've gone through so many different versions of PD than I can count, but in the end, we always made it work. I actually met UB last year in Conseco, which I thought was cool. (Pistons were up 15 at halftime, I'm guessing he was the only one with the courage to say hi to me )

Now as for the present day. I don't profess to know what pacers fans are going through, but also don't pretend to realize what I'm going through. The City of Detroit has had a bad rep to begin with. We've gone without incident for 20 years, and yet we're still the butt of every crime joke on earth. POST-riot, we've officially become the posterboys for voilent fans. I know hundreds of Piston fans, personally. None of them have ever said anythign out of line, or tossed anything at a player. But we get branded under the same iron. The Pacers will win a championship sometime in the near future. Half their roster isnt even peaking yet. 8 months from now, the Pacers will have recovered from their mess, while the city of detroit will have been scarred for another 20 years, if not more. So please do not tell em we got off easy.

As for my conduct on this board (and this is aimed at you, able) I'm not the kind of person who thinks he is above the rules. Just point me to the line and I'll stay behind it. I think I've done a good job of that over the last 2 years at PD. my lastest occurance happened when I was being thrown in with the actions of a few houligans, and I took offense, and decided to fight fire with fire, which is not something i condone. I did it so people here would start to get a taste of what I have to go through on this board. I don't try to offend you abel, and if I did, I'll try not to do it again. Understand that I'm not going to censor myself if what I'm saying is within the rules, and I truly believe what I'm saying. I don't want to deliberately **** you off, I don't want to agitate ANYBODY. Its just not fun to be told people can rip on you, and youre not allowed to fight back, ok?

Come over to my pistons board, and you'll get fair treatment. We have our share of Pacer trolls too, but the ones that try to be civil, we treat fairly.

Mood

Default Re: OK, here goes, anyone that has taken issue with me, read up

This is a great post. Thank you Kstat.

I have always been in support of you Kstat. We may disagree on things (and I'm usually right) but I feel as though you have always presented yourself well and respectfully. You will always be welcome as far as I am concerned.

As far as your post, the content would be understandable to any fan of any team and city. But the situation - both ways - is what it is.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Kstat, I too have been here for several years but I don't post often. I also believe most everyone here likes and accepts you but your timing was not the best.

True, you have the right to defend yourself and your team but most Pacer fans were not in the proper frame of mind to hear those comments and considered them "bias and disrespectful". Only true Pacer fans know the mental anguish we have and are continuing to go through.

The Pacer team are like "family members" to most of us and we felt that members of our family have been over penalized for what happened. Then several Piston fans come into our "house" and try to justify what happened in Detroit. Yes, everybody was wrong but we were not ready mentally, to have "outsiders" tell us how wrong we were.

I truly believe if you will develop a thicker skin for a while and let our wounds heal, everyone will be better off and happier.

Who knows, we may all join hands around a campfire and sing songs, or not.

majamama

This doesn't belong in this thread. This is not the place to debate the fight et al. -Hicks

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Kstat -

I'm fairly new here, so perhaps this doesn't carry so much weight. I appreciate your comments and your willingness to join in on the fun at this forum. A diversity of opinions is what an environment like this is all about, and I would hope that my opinions are as welcome as yours - or anyone's for that matter.

BUT

Detroit - as a city in general - has certainly earned its reputation. Detroit's story over the last 30 years is one of the great urban tragedys in America's history. It's not like the riots happened and everything has been fine since. Plenty of statistical data supports the fact that Detroit continues to be one of the most desolute and violent places to live in the country.

I've personally lived in some of the roughest neighborhoods in some of the biggest cities in America, and I have been all over Detroit, so I'm not just talking statistics, I'm also talking experience.

Don't get so uppitty, Indy folks. I grew up in Indy, going to IPS schools in the 80's and Indy had almost nothing to be proud of during that time, either. The recent progress and revitalization has made a bit more headway there compared to the greater Detroit area, but the similarities in the histories of these midwestern industrial centers bear a tremendous resemblance.

HERE's the important thing to remember - step away from the basketball world, and nobody really was suprised much about the "brawl", much less actually care about it or how it effects Detroit's (or indy's) image. Most people have actually forgotten which teams were involved, and just think its an NBA thing. (One person actually said to me "there's a basketball team in Indianapolis?" - not joking.) It's been a Hockey and Baseball thing, so why not throw the NBA out there, too?

Unfortunately, both Detroit and Indianapolis (as citys AND teams) have a similar problem. Neither ever seem to get any attention from the rest of the country until something awful happens.

Add it all up, and both cities - and the fans of both teams - should treat each other like brothers, not like enemies.

Hope this made sense.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

You're fine by me, man. Stick around.

sweabs

Kstat's a good guy. As long as you still keep an eye out for me on that Mar.25 game at the Palace...

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Kstat ,

I don't have a problem with you and I hope your not considering leaving , although I don't always agree with you and you don't with me on a few things ..I value you opinion. I used to chat with you alot on AIM when I had that and we had some great discussion's on basketball , for your age you basketball knowledge is awesome

I guess don't really take somethings said to heart and maybe I have missed a few things becuase I kinda sneak away sometimes cause it's a good thing for me too do. Hell sometimes I feel like a outcast here because I don't ride with the popular opinion and I defintely am not a team homer.

I really can't say I place the soul blame on one aspect more than the other , I mean "overreaction to things" seemed to happen alot that night and emotions were high from last years ECF. There is plenty of blame to spread around , from the players , to the fans and to the lack of security..again plenty of fault and blame to spread around on all parties.

I just hope we can all move on but today really just turned the heat back up on the subject and the appeals hearings I am sure will add more fuel to the fire in the coming days.

I can't wait for the day we can all actually talk about Basketball and our respective teams and not the "Basketbrawl"

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kstat don't leave!!I don't have a problem with you.You may have different opinions on these subjects.But it is nice to have opinions from fans of other teams.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Just wanted to add that I think it's really refreshing to read posts from a Pistons fan who is respectful and who sticks around. Thanks Kstat.

canyoufeelit

Good post and good person. But you do have to realize that from time to time people here will single you out based on the team you root for, which should be taken in stride. But like you said, you really don't deserve the other stuff.

Kstat, you have been one of my very favorite posters ever since you came aboard. You are as knowledgeable as anyone on here. It was fun meeting you last year, yopu semed like a great guy.

What I am about to say is not politically correct espeically in Indy right now. But I went to a Pacers v Pistons game at the Palace in March of '03, and I thought the fans I spoke with, sat near, and saw seemed like very good fans who were well behaved. I never felt like I should not have been there. of course I was about 5 rows off the floor across from the Pistons bench. But I enjoyed the atmosphere of the Palace. Much better than Gund Arena, United Centrer or Bradley Center.

But I was bothered by the obnoxious behavior of Pistons fans at Conseco in the ECF last year.

majamama

This is the guy that said Pacers called Iverson a "ni****" ....he may not be as bad as other Piston fans but he still places the primarily blame on Artest & the Pacers when it should be on the Detroit franchise and the fans of Detroit who caused this event; and all you have to do is look at the city of Detroit and see what kind of people live there.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

KStat's a PISTON fan!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Hell, I thought it was just Writerman in disguise.

j/k dude. I have no problem with you (as I hope you have none with me). You are one of the guys I always look for to read. Some I do, some I don't...you I do. So I think we can agree to disagree...as long as you realize it could have just as easily been Ragweed going ****head.

btw...what Piston forum???? (I promise to be good)

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kstat, you have been one of my very favorite posters ever since you came aboard. You are as knowledgeable as anyone on here. It was fun meeting you last year, yopu semed like a great guy.

What I am about to say is not politically correct espeically in Indy right now. But I went to a Pacers v Pistons game at the Palace in March of '03, and I thought the fans I spoke with, sat near, and saw seemed like very good fans who were well behaved. I never felt like I should not have been there. of course I was about 5 rows off the floor across from the Pistons bench. But I enjoyed the atmosphere of the Palace. Much better than Gund Arena, United Centrer or Bradley Center.

But I was bothered by the obnoxious behavior of Pistons fans at Conseco in the ECF last year.
    Yeah, but U.B. I bet you set with your arms folded & were nice & quiet during the game. I would be willing to further bet that everytime the Pistons traveled or turned it over or lost a board you didn't stand up & yell IIIIInnnnnnndddiiiiaaaaaannnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a bbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasketttttttttttttttttt ttttbaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllll.

Detroit fans are fine by me, but when you are in somebody else's house it's just my opinion you respect them. Doesn't mean you don't cheer your team, but you don't tell everybody around you all about it if you are winning.

I go back to my old theory when I told PFFL the same thing years ago when he was going to philly games, you never p!ss in another mans cornflakes, it's just not right.

As to Kstat, I'm not sure why you are making this post, I must have missed something. But I don't feel there is a need for you to explain yourself. I've never considered you a troll. A Detroit homer? Of course, but a realistic one. Hell we're all homers in our own way.

You think you got it bad, try being a Pacers fan who understands why the NBA did what did. Nobody as of yet has questioned my loyalty, but I'm sure it's coming.

To me there is enough blame to go around so Detroit gets a black eye & Indiana gets a black eye.

BTW, I don't know if I agree with you that in 8 months everything will be ok. Sometimes you only get one shot at a title & who knows this might have been the year. We may never have Artest on our team again & if everybody else around here is right that alone will mean we can't win a title. So we may go years with mediocrity, then again we may not. Only time will tell.

Does it really matter what the rep. is for Detroit to outside fans? People will think what they want it doesn't really matter.

Listen, special K-stat isn't that special. I read some of those things he was fighting 'fire' with. He seems like the proto-typical Pistons fan. Probably a decent guy at work and all, but wait till his team gets it *** handed to them on a stick (like the Pacers recently did to them), and he'll start chucking insults. There have been plenty of people tossed from this forum for a lot less than what special K has been up to.

I thought equal treatment was part of this board.

Toss K-stat.

NewType

Kstat, I respect your basketball mind and your point of view, although we don't agree on some issues. However, as Alabama-Redneck said, sometimes your timing is kind of bad. To a lot of us, it really rubs us the wrong way. However, in general, it's all good.

BabbleOn

Stat, I'd just like to say a few things about the city of Detroit. For starters, I have seen no evidence to indicate that THe BrAwl has set the city's reputation back in mind's of most Americans. Yeah, there were a few a-holes who wrote columns along the lines of "Only in Detroit," but the general consensus seems to be that fans across the country need to be better behaved.

But let's face some facts here, Detroit ain't exactly turned itself into a utopia. Have you been catching those Free Press columns this week entitled "Homicide in Detroit: Echoes of Violence?" Detroit has a bad rap for a reason -- it's a hell hole in many places. Poster Los Angeles hit it dead on when he called it one of the great urban tragedies.

I think all the murder, poverty, desolation, grime and dirty politics do more to hurt Detroit than this brawl did. It would be naive to blame this stupid basketball fight for any ounce of Detroit's negative reputation.

In order to cover all the bases, let me say that the entire Metro area, however, is rather decent, and is obviously extraordinarily nice in many places. But the decency of the metro area will always be overshadowed by its mostly bleak heart, Detroit, the place where all roads meet.

So I don't know why you're hurt by this brawl, Kstat. Our fans screwed up, and then some Pacers screwed up, and now Pacer fans are watching some guy named Edwards play in a Pacers uniform, which leads me to conclude that Pacer fans are suffering more than anyone else. Why are you, a Piston fan, suffering? Because Detroit has sustained a blow to its reputation? HA! No, I don't buy that.

Sure, it's ironic that Pacer fans embrace Artest despite his immaturity, which is the same reason they hate Piston fans, but that's an argument for a different day. Overall, Pacer fans should not have to listen to any of us say that we're suffering just the same as they are.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Our fans screwed up, and then some Pacers screwed up, and now Pacer fans are watching some guy named Edwards play in a Pacers uniform,
    +++++++++++++++++

Perhaps they should throw the doors open and let us in for free for a while.

You are correct Peck, I was very respectful of the fact that I was sitting among Pistons fans. I believe in being respectful so when the Pacers won that game I very calmly worked out with a smile on my face. Most people sitting near me likely had no idea I was a Pacers fan. I did cheer some in the 4th when the Pacers pulled it out,

kstat, in reading the threads from what I've seen, most of the posters who've been really flaming you have been screwballs. Not sure why you bothered replying but that's your business.

I will mention that during the 90's I often had nosebleed seats in MSA during the playoffs - got some pretty rude comments and the occasional beer shower there.

In 2000 at Conseco I didn't get the same treatment - not sure if the new arena civilized people or what.

During the season I generally get better seats for Knick games and if I often get to sit next to someone pretty knowledgable who I can actually talk basketball with.

Detroit may be a bit worse than other places but it's pretty much the same all over. You pack 18,000 of anything in one place and there will be a few bad ones.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Besides, everyone knows that it's Philly fans that are the worst thugs.

geekman

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, but U.B. I bet you set with your arms folded & were nice & quiet during the game. I would be willing to further bet that everytime the Pistons traveled or turned it over or lost a board you didn't stand up & yell IIIIInnnnnnndddiiiiaaaaaannnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a bbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasketttttttttttttttttt ttttbaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllll.

Detroit fans are fine by me, but when you are in somebody else's house it's just my opinion you respect them. Doesn't mean you don't cheer your team, but you don't tell everybody around you all about it if you are winning.
    Amen.

At game 5 last year they were so freaking obnoxious. Did they do this during games 1 and 2 also? Pissing in our cornflakes, is right on. It is testimony to the good fans that we have here that there was no violence. I have a hard time believing after the brawl we saw in Detroit, their fans would have been so forgiving. Especially during the ECF. Especially during a blow out. Especially after winning on the road to tie the series up.

For those that didn't experience this, it was about 10-15 (I think, Peck correct me if I'm wrong) Detroit fans, including one or two with brightly colored bozo-like afro wigs . Chanting over and over and over and over and over:
    Deeeeeeeeetrooooooooooit Baaaaaaaaaaasketballlllll.

They chanted that in the stands, over and over and over again. Then they chanted it in the corridor/hallway/whatever you call it around the arena, over and over and over, as the Pacer fans were exiting all around them.

Made me want to puke.

As far as I saw they were left alone to do their thing.

Oh yeah, and Kstat you are ok and I hope that you continue to dpost on here. I enjoy reading your posts (usually).

Kstat - a few things.

I think game 5 was my worst sports memory - my 7 year old was visiting Conseco for the first time, after attending many games in other arenas (Boston, NY, NJ) and we were treated to the most obnoxious Pistons fans behind us. This is after I tought him to respect that you are in another team's house - root for your team, but do not disrespect the people in the seats next to you. I did also see the group you refer to - classless.

I know Detroit. I was born there and spent more Thanksgivings than I can count in the Pontiac Silverdome. They have earned their reputation. They embrace being the Bad Boys - just listen to the announcer at the Palace.

NOW - as far as reputation. I am in Connecticut and continue to wear the Pacers colors. And I get comments - are you going to try and kick my ***... you guys are a bunch of thugs... and lots of things I should not type here. My point is that the Pacers and Indy are scarred - which is a shame - because the damn mess happened in Detroit.

On a personal note towards you Kstat - I have said that it is my opinion that you lay low a bit and be a bit more defferential to the depressed and angry Pacers fans. Becuase we are - at least most of us are. Our season has been taken from us. I can't even bring myself to watch... because we have some guy named Edwards suited up.

You said that night in the chat room - afater the brawl, directly to me - that nothing that happens in November would ruin the Pacers championship hopes. I wonder what you think now, because you were dead wrong. I still cannot get over the irony that bad behaavior by your fans has led to eliminating your most worthy opponent. I think we could almost live with it more if it was in another arena - because the irony is killing us.