Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pacers/Celtics Postgame Thread 1/4/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Celtics Postgame Thread 1/4/13

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    would anyone else be ok with hibbert shooting a hook shot within 5 ft of basket EVERY TIME? the up and under travel turnover is not effective.

dj augustine still sucks.
    Hell no! Not unless someone is actually going to teach him how to properly release the shot first. His form on hooks stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    That was straight up aggravated battery. KG should be in handcuffs right now. I don't see how he can be shielded from violating the law of the land so blatantly on TV for all to see.

I'm absolutely sickened at the NBA right now. Tyler has taken too many of these hits. If they don't send a message that it better stop because it has absolutely no place in basketball then who will? What if Tyler took a shot at Garnett like that? That should be a minimum ten game suspension in my book and at least a $100,000 fine paid straight to Hansbrough for having to take the brunt of such a dirty, malicious hit.

And the Boston fans are actually defending it like the Miami fans did with the Haslem hit. I mean I love my team and all but I would never defend such behavior. That was an Artest like move by KG.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...avated+battery

"At common law, an intentional unpermitted act causing harmful or offensive contact with the "person" of another."

"The following elements must be proven to establish a case for battery: (1) an act by a defendant; (2) an intent to cause harmful or offensive contact on the part of the defendant; and (3) harmful or offensive contact to the plaintiff."

"When a battery is committed with intent to do serious harm or murder, or when it is done with a dangerous weapon, it is described as aggravated."

Sure you could argue the aggravated part, but I don't see how he did not intend to try to do serious harm to Tyler by throwing that punch at him when he wasn't even slightly expecting it. Something obviously shields athletes from such punishments, but there is no doubt that was at least battery. This isn't fighting. Sucker punching a fellow basketball player during the play when he isn't expecting it is disgusting to the game. It's not like they squared up then a punch was thrown. KG caught him off guard like that on purpose, so he could deliver the most punishment possible with one blow. And KG got away with slapping Tyler earlier in the game.

Do you have any sort of legal experience? Because if you did, you'd realize how utterly ridiculous you sound right now trying to argue aggravated battery especially within the context of a physical sport...

would anyone else be ok with hibbert shooting a hook shot within 5 ft of basket EVERY TIME? the up and under travel turnover is not effective.

dj augustine still sucks.
    Interesting you point out DJ of all players...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Hell no! Not unless someone is actually going to teach him how to properly release the shot first. His form on hooks stinks.
    my point is Hibberts hook shoot is better than the up and under no where to go throw the ball up wildly or turn it over move.

so i would just prefer he shoot the hook and move on... least a shot with a chance going up.. some of these plays roys trying to make are joke.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tyler has just dribbled the ball low, what is Garnett doing swinging at his head? Even if he was trying to block Tyler from going into a shooting motion there's no reason at all for him to defend like that.

I don't think he was trying to punch him out, but I think there's no way that was a play on the ball. That was KG flailing trying to be physical and force Tyler off his shot.

In any event, it sounds like any shot to the head, intentional or not, is likely to be considered an F2.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    Interesting you point out DJ of all players...
    ya as i was watching the replay of of Roy spin up and under with awful footwork and turn it over. DJ quickly did something stupid as well. just an ugly loss to the celtics. i hope blue and gold have more effort tonight vs bucks

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    two wrongs dont make a right, but someone needs to get in kgs face after that. hibbert?
    I think that's why teams seem to pound Hans. Nobody on our team ever gets in their face for hammering him, except Granger. Hans is our only enforcer, he gets involved in every teammates squabbles, they all ignore his. Smash-mouth, oh yeah! If that kind of foul got that kind of backing, Dale Davis would have kicked all his teammates *** and Mel would have broken out that .45. The Pacers, as a whole are a soft group, just like Bird said they were.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    I think that's why teams seem to pound Hans. Nobody on our team ever gets in their face for hammering him, except Granger. Hans is our only enforcer, he gets involved in every teammates squabbles, they all ignore his. Smash-mouth, oh yeah! If that kind of foul got that kind of backing, Dale Davis would have kicked all his teammates *** and Mel would have broken out that .45. The Pacers, as a whole are a soft group, just like Bird said they were.
    Granger, West are two of the tougher players. Hill as well i dont expect anything from Paul George yet. Hibbert is like many have said on here.. a "gentle giant"

why does it seem teams are trying to beat up on hans. he doesnt play dirty. thats something other players should respect. are they simply being told to intimidate hansbrough.

I can't remember when I've seen such a poorly played sloppy game from the Pacers. It was just disgusting, and I had to force myself to watch it due to the Pacers play.

Lets just hope it doesn't carry over to tonights game against Milwaukee.

Banned

That hit from KG is not a big deal, I've got hit worse by just playing pickup soccer or basketball.

Changing the topic from the mugging... Tyler made some moves last night that I had never seen him do before. He even used a mini euro step to split KG and Pierce! The up fake and slam was pretty sweet too it didnt even look like Tyler.

why does it seem teams are trying to beat up on hans. he doesnt play dirty. thats something other players should respect. are they simply being told to intimidate hansbrough.
    If he was on another team you would understand. He's basically a wrecking ball put out there to bruise and frustrate opponents, and he's good at it. "He doesn't play dirty," in the sense that he's not changing the way he plays to hurt people, but his style of play is wild and reckless. He elbows, shoves, chops, etc. He's like an infomercial product. He and Metta World Peace are two guys that I would refuse to play a pickup game against.

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    Do you have any sort of legal experience? Because if you did, you'd realize how utterly ridiculous you sound right now trying to argue aggravated battery especially within the context of a physical sport...
    I do have legal training thank you. And obviously you are showing how utterly ridiculous you sound by not knowing the elements and legal definitions of battery and aggravated battery. If I walk up to someone and punch them in the face as hard as I can with the intent to harm them, that is aggravated battery. If I walk up to someone and push them with no intent to really harm them, that is battery. Aggravated simply means you intended to cause serious harm. Battery is any offensive touching.

I don't see how you could argue KG did not intend serious harm with that swing. You don't swing that hard at someone when you are that tall and strong up over 20 points without intending serious harm. You bring up the contact of a physical sport, well remember the guy that was charged in hockey for hitting someone with a stick? Same thing goes for basketball, hitting someone with a fist is outside of the normal contact rules of the game. Fist punches have never been a part of basketball on any level.

Yea but KG was just going for the ball, he did not intend Tyler any harm with that swing...LOL. And let's not forget that in civil court the burden of proof required is much lower. If this happened to a normal person on a basketball court with corroborating video to support it, a good lawyer would win in civil court.

And I laugh at Vnzla saying he's been hit harder in soccer. Dude has never been hit that hard in his life playing sports I bet. If KG hit him that hard he would be in the hospital right now.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    I think David West wanted to, but he was on the bench, and my guess is he knows the consequences for leaving the bench in that kind of a situation and wisely stayed put. But if you watch the video he's clearly unhappy. I think he'd have had a more... noticeable... reaction for KG if he had been subbed in at the time.
    Without a doubt. I loved it last year when Sanders got a dose of Danny and West at the same time and decided the fight was over.

By the way, KG's flagrant came just a few trips after he previously had fouled Tyler extremely hard, enough that it caught my attention that maybe Tyler's play was getting under his skin. So to me it felt very much like a continuation of a theme KG had been running which is to punk out and get away with as much intimidation as possible, his standard mode of operation. All he was missing was getting down on all fours and barking at Tyler.

Whatever KG's skills have been, he's still a complete tool on the court. And that's not my opinion due to Pacers games, that's due to all the other s*** he pulls including his childish behavior toward Ray Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    I do have legal training thank you. And obviously you are showing how utterly ridiculous you sound by not knowing the elements and legal definitions of battery and aggravated battery. If I walk up to someone and punch them in the face as hard as I can with the intent to harm them, that is aggravated battery. If I walk up to someone and push them with no intent to really harm them, that is battery. Aggravated simply means you intended to cause serious harm. Battery is any offensive touching.

I don't see how you could argue KG did not intend serious harm with that swing. You don't swing that hard at someone when you are that tall and strong up over 20 points without intending serious harm. You bring up the contact of a physical sport, well remember the guy that was charged in hockey for hitting someone with a stick? Same thing goes for basketball, hitting someone with a fist is outside of the normal contact rules of the game. Fist punches have never been a part of basketball on any level.

Yea but KG was just going for the ball, he did not intend Tyler any harm with that swing...LOL. And let's not forget that in civil court the burden of proof required is much lower. If this happened to a normal person on a basketball court with corroborating video to support it, a good lawyer would win in civil court.

And I laugh at Vnzla saying he's been hit harder in soccer. Dude has never been hit that hard in his life playing sports I bet. If KG hit him that hard he would be in the hospital right now.
    You show some understanding of the legal issues involved where there is potential civil liability on the basketball court. But I don't think Garnett's actions rose to that level. While a flagrant 2, I think he was just playing rough, not really attempting to hurt Tyler. Yes, he was swinging his arms but it just wasn't that far from normal play.

While the burden is low in a civil case (51%), the burden still rests on the plaintiff and the difficulty of getting that in this case is unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I hate KG, literally can't stand his personality and ego, but come on very rarely does he try to intentionally hurt another player.
    No, he hit Tyler in the face in the first half as well, although there he got away with a no-call.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Without a doubt. I loved it last year when Sanders got a dose of Danny and West at the same time and decided the fight was over.
    Speaking of, Garnett doesn't have the guts to hit David West like he did Tyler, but I'd like to see him try.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    You show some understanding of the legal issues involved where there is potential civil liability on the basketball court. But I don't think Garnett's actions rose to that level. While a flagrant 2, I think he was just playing rough, not really attempting to hurt Tyler. Yes, he was swinging his arms but it just wasn't that far from normal play.

While the burden is low in a civil case (51%), the burden still rests on the plaintiff and the difficulty of getting that in this case is unlikely.
    You're probably right. I'm more than likely just letting my emotions get in the way of the real picture. Still it was a dirty play that has no place in basketball. Was it battery? There's at least a 90 percent chance that it wasn't. Should he be suspended? I think for at least two games. Will he be suspended? Probably not. He will get off on the "making a play on the ball" excuse, which in this case is bogus in my opinion. The slap earlier in the game shows intent.

He meant to punish Tyler there. I truly believe that. Players are out to punish him for the way he plays I guess, like previous posters have noted. I have seen it so many times I have lost count. But the thing that irks me is that Tyler seems to play within the rules. Maybe that is debatable. But other players don't like that about him so they take shots at him that are way outside of the scope of a hard foul in basketball. I guess the argument is what is an acceptable hard foul and what is a dirty play. Tyler takes several acceptable hard fouls a game, more than most any player in my memory. He also has received a number of dirty fouls that have no place in the league in retaliation to his play. I for some reason believe this was one of them.

I guess that is more debatable than I believe it to be, but I guess that comes with being a true fan of a team and it's players. You get emotionally attached. If not sports wouldn't be near as fun for most people.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How many bench players does Kevin Garnett have to pick on before someone calls him for what he is? A fake tough guy.

Danny even if he went a bit over the top in his man to man act with Lebron in the playoffs last year at least went after the best player in the league.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods