Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Celtics Postgame Thread 1/4/13

Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Celtics Postgame Thread 1/4/13

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Their defense tonight was outstanding, however.

Boston still has the capability to be a good defensive team. They obviously haven't realized that potential this season consistently though.
    To be fair to them, missing Avery Bradley hurt their defensive numbers a lot. This was Avery's second game off of injury and he was very disruptive defensively.

They do have the capability to play good defense. But they haven't done so far. Because Bradley was injured and because it's early in the season. Boston picks it up later in the season. That's why I believed that this was a prime opportunity to beat them. Come playoff time, they'll probably have a real defense.

All I'm saying, is that this wasn't the case tonight. Yes, they did a good job tonight. Especially, late in the 3rd and in the start of the 4th. But in the first half? No. West was just missing layup after layup. He was bad tonight. PG was missing a lot as well. We were missing almost every 3.

Simply put, we were awful tonight. Our awful shooting gave the Celtics the boost they needed to lock up on D in the second half.

But we shot ourselves in the foot first.

That's my opinion, at least.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Maybe the Boston guards are better defenders than Memphis.
    Memphis has Tony Allen. Boston has two guards that play good D. Bradley and Rondo.

I'm not surprised about our 3 point shooting, actually. Home court helps immensely. It's a tremendous boost for PG. He is an amazing shooter at home. He is only an average shooter away from home. He is not a Danny Granger level shooter. I'm confident that he will be, though
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Orlando Johnson scored the first points of his NBA career!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    There is justice in this world.

Superstar Kevin Garnett blatantly smacks Tyler and actually gets a flagrant 2. Love it.
    I wouldnt call that justice, i would call someone breaking that f****** punks nose and giving him a dose of his own medicine justice. I agree with everything else in the thread though, lol. Sorry, a litte upset after having to watch that debacle.

The Wally Champ is back !!

Follow me on Twitter! @Hookjaw_Rox

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ant For This Useful Post:

Good thing is this can all be forgotten with a solid effort and a W tomorrow night at home against a division opponent with a winning record.

The Wally Champ is back !!

Follow me on Twitter! @Hookjaw_Rox

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    Orlando Johnson scored the first points of his NBA career!
    Sorry for the ugly game, but congrats to OJ on his first points and block(lol), hopefully he gets a chance to help a little more and looks more like today's game (even though it was garbage time) than the summer league OJ we all saw. He more than doubled his season minutes tonight, so it's not a bad start, even if he just has to keep working in practice to improve and earn more time.

Beat Milwaukee!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GauchoDon For This Useful Post:

Never did get a good look at this replay... wow... he literally just swung at Tyler's face. Heinson didn't think it was a flagrant.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

two wrongs dont make a right, but someone needs to get in kgs face after that. hibbert?

I hate Tommy Heinshohn.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

I feel like this after most games we lose, but damn could have used Danny tonight.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    two wrongs dont make a right, but someone needs to get in kgs face after that. hibbert?
    Unfortunately the only guy with the balls to do that is an a suit...

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:

I think David West wanted to, but he was on the bench, and my guess is he knows the consequences for leaving the bench in that kind of a situation and wisely stayed put. But if you watch the video he's clearly unhappy. I think he'd have had a more... noticeable... reaction for KG if he had been subbed in at the time.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

would anyone else be ok with hibbert shooting a hook shot within 5 ft of basket EVERY TIME? the up and under travel turnover is not effective.

dj augustine still sucks.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post

Never did get a good look at this replay... wow... he literally just swung at Tyler's face. Heinson didn't think it was a flagrant.
    KG is gonna gett ****** for that move. tyler will take him out. see u in may KG.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    would anyone else be ok with hibbert shooting a hook shot within 5 ft of basket EVERY TIME? the up and under travel turnover is not effective.

dj augustine still sucks.
    Roy shots lots of those hooks last year and made a good % of them. He barely shoots it at all this year, dunno if his hand is bothering him on that shot.

DJ is still markedly better than Ben Hansborough.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post

It's not debatable that the foul was at a Flagrant 1.....but unless hitting the face of a Player while going for the ball...whether it is an accidental or not.....is an AUTOMATIC Flagrant 2....then I can see that it can be debatable as to whether that is a Flagrant 2 or not.

If it is possible to downgrade a Flagrant 2 afterwards....I would not be surprised if this is downgraded to a Flagrant 1.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

The saddest thing about that flagrant was that even though KG blatantly punched Tyler in the face, the entire team was so dejected and thoroughly outmatched that no one was going to start anything. "I know our teammate just got smacked on purpose across the head by the biggest douchebag in the league, but can we just get this over with?"

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    KG is gonna gett ****** for that move. tyler will take him out. see u in may KG.
    That was straight up aggravated battery. KG should be in handcuffs right now. I don't see how he can be shielded from violating the law of the land so blatantly on TV for all to see.

I'm absolutely sickened at the NBA right now. Tyler has taken too many of these hits. If they don't send a message that it better stop because it has absolutely no place in basketball then who will? What if Tyler took a shot at Garnett like that? That should be a minimum ten game suspension in my book and at least a $100,000 fine paid straight to Hansbrough for having to take the brunt of such a dirty, malicious hit.

And the Boston fans are actually defending it like the Miami fans did with the Haslem hit. I mean I love my team and all but I would never defend such behavior. That was an Artest like move by KG.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...avated+battery

"At common law, an intentional unpermitted act causing harmful or offensive contact with the "person" of another."

"The following elements must be proven to establish a case for battery: (1) an act by a defendant; (2) an intent to cause harmful or offensive contact on the part of the defendant; and (3) harmful or offensive contact to the plaintiff."

"When a battery is committed with intent to do serious harm or murder, or when it is done with a dangerous weapon, it is described as aggravated."

Sure you could argue the aggravated part, but I don't see how he did not intend to try to do serious harm to Tyler by throwing that punch at him when he wasn't even slightly expecting it. Something obviously shields athletes from such punishments, but there is no doubt that was at least battery. This isn't fighting. Sucker punching a fellow basketball player during the play when he isn't expecting it is disgusting to the game. It's not like they squared up then a punch was thrown. KG caught him off guard like that on purpose, so he could deliver the most punishment possible with one blow. And KG got away with slapping Tyler earlier in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    That was straight up aggravated battery. KG should be in handcuffs right now. I don't see how he can be shielded from violating the law of the land so blatantly on TV for all to see.

I'm absolutely sickened at the NBA right now. Tyler has taken too many of these hits. If they don't send a message that it better stop because it has absolutely no place in basketball then who will? What if Tyler took a shot at Garnett like that? That should be a minimum ten game suspension in my book and at least a $100,000 fine paid straight to Hansbrough for having to take the brunt of such a dirty, malicious hit.

And the Boston fans are actually defending it like the Miami fans did with the Haslem hit. I mean I love my team and all but I would never defend such behavior. That was an Artest like move by KG.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...avated+battery

"At common law, an intentional unpermitted act causing harmful or offensive contact with the "person" of another."

"The following elements must be proven to establish a case for battery: (1) an act by a defendant; (2) an intent to cause harmful or offensive contact on the part of the defendant; and (3) harmful or offensive contact to the plaintiff."

"When a battery is committed with intent to do serious harm or murder, or when it is done with a dangerous weapon, it is described as aggravated."

Sure you could argue the aggravated part, but I don't see how he did not intend to try to do serious harm to Tyler by throwing that punch at him when he wasn't even slightly expecting it. Something obviously shields athletes from such punishments, but there is no doubt that was at least battery. This isn't fighting. Sucker punching a fellow basketball player during the play when he isn't expecting it is disgusting to the game. It's not like they squared up then a punch was thrown. KG caught him off guard like that on purpose, so he could deliver the most punishment possible with one blow. And KG got away with slapping Tyler earlier in the game.

And this thread just jumped the shark.

Look its pretty obvious that KG was going to swipe at the ball and he completely misjudge what Tyler was going to do on offense. Thats all it takes in basketball, split second actions can end up with smashed faces. The ejection was warranted. But lets not act like KG was just being a thug. He held him up after the hit and you could tell after the hit he showed some concern for Tyler.

I hate KG, literally can't stand his personality and ego, but come on very rarely does he try to intentionally hurt another player.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    It's not debatable that the foul was at a Flagrant 1.....but unless hitting the face of a Player while going for the ball...whether it is an accidental or not.....is an AUTOMATIC Flagrant 2....then I can see that it can be debatable as to whether that is a Flagrant 2 or not.

If it is possible to downgrade a Flagrant 2 afterwards....I would not be surprised if this is downgraded to a Flagrant 1.
    To me I think it will depend on if his right hand was open or balled up in a fist. I can't really tell from the replay here but it sort of looks like a fist to me, but again I can't tell. If it's a fist I would not be surprised if they let it stand as a flagrant 2, if it was an open hand I could see it going down to a 1.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Smith View Post
    And just like that, goodbye central division first place....Chicago beat Miami tonight
    It's JANUARY, and we're without two of our best players. We could easily get the lead back in a game and lose it in another. It's all bout how we finish, not our record in January. Least that's my take

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

This is the type of game that there is little to nothing to take away from. You just forget it, and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    To me I think it will depend on if his right hand was open or balled up in a fist. I can't really tell from the replay here but it sort of looks like a fist to me, but again I can't tell. If it's a fist I would not be surprised if they let it stand as a flagrant 2, if it was an open hand I could see it going down to a 1.
    i think i saw a shank in the replay...

but seriously, bad play by KG but it's not exactly out of the realm of possibility that Tyler did something earlier on to bring down KG's wrath...there's a reason his nickname isn't "Friendly T"

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    As I said....it's debatable. I am inclined to agree with graphic-er.....this wasn't as blatant or obvious as the Dexter Pittman flagrant on Hansbrough.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    And this thread just jumped the shark.

Look its pretty obvious that KG was going to swipe at the ball and he completely misjudge what Tyler was going to do on offense. Thats all it takes in basketball, split second actions can end up with smashed faces. The ejection was warranted. But lets not act like KG was just being a thug. He held him up after the hit and you could tell after the hit he showed some concern for Tyler.

I hate KG, literally can't stand his personality and ego, but come on very rarely does he try to intentionally hurt another player.
    I just really don't see how you can say he made a play on the ball. That was a dirty play. By your logic if he was trying to get a cheap shot on him all he had to do was "act" concerned after the fact and it is okay. I mean just from the live angle, it is clear that he swings at Tyler to cause harm. That was not contact that is normal to basketball. His body language after the fact makes me believe it was intentional but he was going to play it off like he was going for the ball.

The live action angle shows that he swings at the ball with reckless force and disregard for Tyler's safety. KG wouldn't have swung that hard if he was just going for the ball. He was trying to swing as hard as he possibly could to punish Tyler. The fact that he hit him in the head doesn't change the fact he was reckless for swinging at him that hard in the first place. The slap earlier in the game shows that there was something already there. For me to believe he didn't have malicious intent with that swing after he slapped him already would be foolish.

My point is if you swing at someone with that much force while both players are moving, odds are you are going to make contact with more than the ball. I think that was KGs intent all along. The head shot was just the bonus.

Maybe I went overboard with the battery accusation, but after Haslem did get away with battery, I'm more sensitive to players taking head shots at a player with a concussion history in basketball, a sport where head shots have never been part of the game. The NFL protects its players from shots to the head more than the NBA, and football is a contact sport where they where helmets.

If you dive at a player head first aiming at the ball in the NFL, and hit that player in the head, you will get fined and possibly suspended. Since basketball is not a contact sport, if you recklessly swing at a ball and smash someone in the head very hard, you should get fined and possibly suspended more severely because basketball isn't a contact sport and players' brain safety is more important because there is no helmet to protect it.
    Last edited by Midcoasted; 01-05-2013 at 03:50 AM.